Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Python: formatting a messy string

Options
  • 08-05-2021 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

I have this 3d printer script I'm editing to make it a little more useful, I am not finding it useful at the minute as you have to stare at a scrolling output for up to 30 seconds or more (depending on filename length) to get the information without the script being edited. The script does have an option to disable the horizontal scrolling but I plan to (eventually) periodically scroll and show a time remaining value every so often, as well switching to the filename at intervals which will require the scrolling.

I want to format a number as a string to 1 decimal place or maybe a whole number but it is currently printing out as long. I know int() takes 2 arguments (number, base) but I do not think it will work in this case. I'm also not too sure if format() or .format can be used with the concatenation.
    max_layer = "68" #starts out as an int and is converted to string and int in multiple places 
    current_layer = i # i == loop

# "Layer " + i + " of " + max_layer
    # display_text == "Layer 18 of 68"         

display_text += " " + "(" + str( (current_layer / int(max_layer) )  * 100 ) + "%)"

print(display_text)    #for this example

output:
    Layer 18 of 68 (26.47058823529412%)

I'd like it to output as "(26%)" or rounded to 1 decimal "(26.5%)" depending on UX. What would be the best way to format inside the concatenated string. Given that print() will not be available in the script

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Why not make the value numeric. That's best for computation, and can be printed as a variable in the string.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Idleater wrote: »
    Why not make the value numeric. That's best for computation, and can be printed as a variable in the string.

Because it will require a rewrite the script is already written it just needs formatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bus Wanker

Replace display text with the below line and it should do what you need.

display_text = 'Layer 18 of 68 ({:.1f}%)'.format((current_layer / int(max_layer)*100))

And to make it scalable using the i variable you have

display_text = 'Layer {} of 68 ({:.1f}%)'.format(i, (i / int(max_layer)*100))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Because it will require a rewrite the script is already written it just needs formatting.

Ok, well, you just need to truncate it with int(my_number)

Bus Wanker wrote: »
    Replace display text with the below line and it should do what you need.

display_text = 'Layer 18 of 68 ({:.1f}%)'.format((current_layer / int(max_layer)*100))

And to make it scalable using the i variable you have

display_text = 'Layer {} of 68 ({:.1f}%)'.format(i, (i / int(max_layer)*100))

Perfect, that's the one! Thank you.
    display_text += " " + "(" + "{:.0f}".format((current_layer / int(max_layer) )  * 100 ) + "%)"

#or

display_text += " " + "(" + "{:.1f}".format((current_layer / int(max_layer) )  * 100 ) + "%)"

• Advertisement

Think I'll go 1 decimal place 0% just looks wrong

7Weq0p1.jpg

Advertisement