Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving to Concrete Patio Transition

• 08-05-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Like many, I'm trying to get the back garden in order and looking for thoughts please.

Image below and my plan is to install paving slabs on the right of the photo looking in and a gravel path on the left to replace the partially broken out concrete path.

Inked-DSC-1498-LI.jpg

Looking for thoughts on whether to butt the paving up tight against the existing concrete patio (Blue dots) or leave say a 100mm strip of gravel for surface run-off.

Ideally I'd tie a slot drain in to the existing system but it's a combined sewer and I'd like to give some surface water a chance to get back in to the ground. Also, don't fancy breaking out the patio and messing with pipes.
    I was thinking maybe an open slot drain for the aesthetic with a french drain type solution below?

The back gardens around here all slope towards the house and I have an ACO running along the back elevation but the plan with the patio is to stencil paint the concrete which might suffer a bit from more surface water run-off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭standardg60

Assuming the existing concrete slopes away from the house i think the butting option is out, as to avoid pooling at the join the patio would have to follow the same slope up the garden, which would then need it's own drainage solution.
    So some sort of drainage gap would be best (this would also allow you to lay the patio flat level, allowing some of the run off to find it's way back into the ground.
    As for the gap itself, i would favour a slot drain connecting back to the downpipe gully (would it be feasible to cut a channel in the concrete along the RHS wall?), over a french drain type as with the garden naturally sloping down to that point too there is a possibility of it getting saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Assuming the existing concrete slopes away from the house i think the butting option is out, as to avoid pooling at the join the patio would have to follow the same slope up the garden, which would then need it's own drainage solution.
    So some sort of drainage gap would be best (this would also allow you to lay the patio flat level, allowing some of the run off to find it's way back into the ground.
    As for the gap itself, i would favour a slot drain connecting back to the downpipe gully (would it be feasible to cut a channel in the concrete along the RHS wall?), over a french drain type as with the garden naturally sloping down to that point too there is a possibility of it getting saturated.

Cheers, I hadn't thought of going along the wall which makes sense so will suss that out.

The risk of ponding is a good point too so I'm settled on separating the two at least.

Advertisement