Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising of EVs

• 08-05-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

I'm changing my car shortly, and was seriously considering the Kia Niro PHEV. However, I then saw the range on some Kia Niro EVs so have started looking for them online. However, most of the car adverts I have come across don't mention the range!
    Some examples:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-ev-5dr-auto/27288207
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-ev-mid-range-5dr-auto/27416086 (I'm guessing mid range is not the 64kWh model?)

I would have thought the range of an electric vehicle is an important selling point. It would be nice to see the advertising sites update their information and include this with the filters for example. As electric cars become more popular, things like charging type/speeds, range, etc will become more of a consideration to a buyer than some of the current search filters. If you can filter on colour and number of doors, this would be a nice change to search options.

Comments

I think it's more important to advertise battery capacity, for instance, 40 or 64 Kwh.

The only way to know is to call them up and then you have to check this in the car's manual before you buy, usually there's a sticker stating engine, power output in Kw and in electrics should show Kwh of the battery, the long range in the Kia cars is the 64 Kwh. But check the VIN on this sticker matches that on the car. I wouldn't just take a dealers word for it and I'd get this information written on the recepit from the dealer.

Indeed this is importat information to include when advertising an Electric car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The other annoyance I have is selecting the "fuel type" - PHEV appearing in search results for Electric, and vice versa. It doesn't instill much confidence in dealers if they don't even know the details of what they are advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

I think it's more important to advertise battery capacity, for instance, 40 or 64 Kwh.

The only way to know is to call them up and then you have to check this in the car's manual before you buy, usually there's a sticker stating engine, power output in Kw and in electrics should show Kwh of the battery, the long range in the Kia cars is the 64 Kwh. But check the VIN on this sticker matches that on the car. I wouldn't just take a dealers word for it and I'd get this information written on the recepit from the dealer.

Indeed this is importat information to include when advertising an Electric car.

40 Kwh or 64 Kwh means nothing to the standard car buyer. They want to know how far they can get without having to stop to charge - in kilometres or miles.
    Then they want to know how long it takes to charge the car from a) a home charger, and b) a "fast" charger - in minutes.

I just checked again and this one says "mid range" in the title under the picture of the car so it's the smaller battery version and you don't really want this lower range and it charges really slow at fast chargers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-ev-mid-range-5dr-auto/27416086

spakman wrote: »
    40 Kwh or 64 Kwh means nothing to the standard car buyer. They want to know how far they can get without having to stop to charge - in kilometres or miles.
    Then they want to know how long it takes to charge the car from a) a home charger, and b) a "fast" charger - in minutes.

They advertise the Kias as Mid range or Long range.

There's plenty of People who do understand Kwh and this is the only real way to know if it has the larget battery or not.

I understand that giving a range in kms helps but most People can't achieve this in real life either in most normal driving.

• Advertisement

I just checked again and this one says "mid range" in the title under the picture of the car so it's the smaller battery version and you don't really want this lower range and it charges really slow at fast chargers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-ev-mid-range-5dr-auto/27416086

Yes but "mid range" means nothing to a standard buyer. EVs are new for the general population, and a lot of people have no interest in cars. They just want a car that gets them from A to B with little problems.

cee_jay wrote: »
    Yes but "mid range" means nothing to a standard buyer. EVs are new for the general population, and a lot of people have no interest in cars. They just want a car that gets them from A to B with little problems.

I hear you, but not just range, recharge times too are also important but I think most people do their research before buying an ev but dealers should give more important information, something like 30 mins from 10-80% @50 KW and 20 mins 10-80% @100 kw etc but most People don't know what this means either but to be honest it's also up to People to learn about new technologies rather than be spoon fed all the time, in my opinion.

I hear you, but not just range, recharge times too are also important but I think most people do their research before buying an ev but dealers should give more important information, something like 30 mins from 10-80% @50 KW and 20 mins 10-80% @100 kw etc but most People don't know what this means either but to be honest it's also up to People to learn about new technologies rather than be spoon fed all the time, in my opinion.

I don't disagree, my point is these are all items which should be available for people to filter on car sale sites to refine their results to what they are looking for.

I don't disagree, my point is these are all items which should be available for people to filter on car sale sites to refine their results to what they are looking for.

I think it will be a long time if ever where you're able to select charging speed/time/kw on the likes of donedeal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Indeed they should be, wouldn't have an ICE car without engine size listed in the ad. Even though that's not capacity it still wouldn't be left blank.

You may have to call the dealers. The Duffy one states Mid Range then has a picture of the dash with 209km remaining at about 55% charge i.e image from a Long Range model/not actual pic of the car for sale. Other ad seems to have 171km at a guess 65% charge so a Mid Range model if the pic is of the car itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

spakman wrote: »

That's like saying 1.2ltr or 2.0ltr means nothing to the standard buyer. People just need to educate themselves, and if donedeal etc aren't providing that information (the kWh of the car, not the education) then people won't get exposed to it and thus informed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s the same way people do t advertise the range of a 520d over a Audi A6. It completely depends on the engine, person and how they drive.

It’s up to the buyer to make sure they are buying the right battery size for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can't really advertise range in fairness. Or charging times. There's going to be so many variations in how people use them and where they charge them. Would be actually misleading selling. I could advertise my audi a6 as 60 mpg and 1200km to a tank or whatever fanciful official figures there are. In reality it's a 40mpg car and 900kms range.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

With the likes of the enyaq on offer with a range of max DC charging speeds I'd really like to see that as a filter on donedeal. Makes a hell of a difference to some

Advertisement