Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bark Mulch replacment

Options
  • 08-05-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Looking a something differnt than using bark mulch, as it keeps blowing away. the area is exposed to wind and would like something similar than wont blow away.

I dont want to use gravel. something like peat. Shamrock had a product called Beds and borders before, but I cant find this anywhere. It was like PEAT gravel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Broken natural slates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

tech wrote: »
    Looking a something differnt than using bark mulch, as it keeps blowing away. the area is exposed to wind and would like something similar than wont blow away.

I dont want to use gravel. something like peat. Shamrock had a product called Beds and borders before, but I cant find this anywhere. It was like PEAT gravel

Beds and Borders went the way of cocoa shell and spent hops many moons ago.
    There aren't many options bar gravel, Glenview natural stone do a crushed quartz grit, bit left field but might be something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm in a really exposed area and use wood chippings. Grow a lot of willow and chip that as a mulch in a petrol chipper (note chipper not shredder) and the chips stay put.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Wood chip. Crowd called Second Harvest do it. The grade of the mulch is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I’ve replaced my bark mulch this last week for the same reason. Put in Donegal quartz 20 mm stone and the place looks fantastic. I’m delighted with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

49801 wrote: »
    Broken natural slates

+1 for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If you've access to a turf supplier, I've found over the years the best solution, particularly in exposed areas (I live on the side of a mountain) are the broken, loose pieces of turf. I'm fortunate as I've access to turf and each year I save the loose bits in a sheltered area of my starage shed.

It's not only a fantastic weed barrier, Slugs/Snails hate it and it's rough texture, it also releases nutrients into the soil and looks excellent. It also long lasting and protects roots against frost.

Obviously some plants may not thrive on nutrients released by peat and supply might be tricky depending on were OP based but suppliers only to happy to bag it and sell or even give away.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

My garden is exposed to wind as well and I put in composted bark mulch last autumn and it seems to be staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm in a really exposed area and use wood chippings. Grow a lot of willow and chip that as a mulch in a petrol chipper (note chipper not shredder) and the chips stay put.

I have the bog standard lidl shredder but if you put though actual branches as against briars and messy stuff you get really good bits of chipped wood - about half an inch long, and they sit really well, better than the bark mulch that is sold.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^that's interesting to hear. New plants were put down out the back today. Will have to spread something on them, I can almost hear the slugs cheering at our new additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

looksee wrote: »
    I have the bog standard lidl shredder but if you put though actual branches as against briars and messy stuff you get really good bits of chipped wood - about half an inch long, and they sit really well, better than the bark mulch that is sold.
    This is what I have started to do too. With a B&Q chipper. Takes abit of time but tidys the place up as well. Have just about got through all the branches etc that came down in last year's summer storms....

Advertisement