Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There’s a huge difference between PUP and dole. PUP was/is a flat rate emergency payment for workers who find themselves unable to work due to pandemic. Checks were not made unless glaring issues arose, due to DSP staff working from home etc. Checks are being made now and bogus claims will be weeded out.

Dole has numerous extras, from medical card to rent support to hardship payments for communions, confirmations etc

true, but the truth is, the dole simply isn't enough to truly survive on, the fact that the dole was almost doubled for new recipients(pup claimants), over night, clearly shows this. once again, a significant proportion of pup money went straight back into the economy, i.e. an increase in welfare payments would more than likely have the same outcome, as very little would probably be saved or used to service debts, increasing economic activities and creating jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    true, but the truth is, the dole simply isn't enough to truly survive on, the fact that the dole was almost doubled for new recipients(pup claimants), over night, clearly shows this. once again, a significant proportion of pup money went straight back into the economy, i.e. an increase in welfare payments would more than likely have the same outcome, as very little would probably be saved or used to service debts, increasing economic activities and creating jobs

You just want to increase the social welfare state we already are cultivating? You have career social welfare people and it is growing yearly. No interest in getting a job or ever getting a job.

Increase in social welfare will just drive this number up and start a bigger wedge between people working and not working

ineedeuro wrote: »
    You just want to increase the social welfare state we already are cultivating? You have career social welfare people and it is growing yearly. No interest in getting a job or ever getting a job.

Increase in social welfare will just drive this number up and start a bigger wedge between people working and not working

nope, and we actually dont have a welfare state, as most citizens of working age actually work, strangely enough!

you may also need to revise your statement on growing year to year, graph supplied....

once again, long term unemployment is actually extremely complex

once again, a significant proportion of pup money went straight back into the economy, as this money was spent, i.e. it ended up in the bank accounts of private sector businesses by doing so, keeping these businesses open and maintaining the jobs created by these business owners

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The dole should be for people who really need it.

Anyone who is able to work but won't, should get max 50 quid a week.

We pay far too much welfare in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

6 wrote: »
    Let's see when the dole replaces PUP will there be as much job snobbery.

If there is we'll just import workers. Then you will have people moaning about people taking our jobs etc

So 6, here's 6 things to consider

Job snobbery as you put it not at all the issue, People have sensibly moved on, particularly from the sectors who've been moaning the loudest.

The "Concerned" employers now wishing to fill rolls had the option of retaining staff on wage subsidy schemes, instead they dropped them like bad habits.

The sector most vocal (Hospitality) is only opening today, and at less than a 3rd of capacity, this will equate to less than half the staff actually required, it's simple economics.

Despite ample evidence there is not widespread refusal to return to work, some persist in promoting a false narrative. Besides, there's equal amounts of evidence people actually applying for rolls being ignored and not so much as an SMS sent to acknowledge applications.

There's also evidence of a concerted effort to go further a field to hire staff, not because of desperation but because employers foolishly believe they can get cheaper staff with reduced terms and conditions, one little tit bit they are not factoring in is accommodation, both none existant and horrendously expensive.

Finally there's also serious and genuine hesitancy regrading the actual viability of many of the very businesses moaning. If you we're inclined, say to return to a hotel /bar/ restaurant job, one thing that must be playing on the mind is what happens in 3, 4 months time. The Hospitality sector is changed, perhaps not forever, but certainly for a few years to come. I know the business and I've absolutely no doubt few will survive and for those that do their business model forever changed.

It's not Job Snobbery, it's Job security

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

so who is the judge that decides people can or cant work, is this person you?

so you d like to reduce the money supply to the economy, thus reducing economic activities, potentially forcing businesses to close, i.e. potentially increasing unemployment? and you d like to reduce the ability of people being able to provide the essentials such as food etc, potentially forcing them into criminality to do so?

once again, as soon as the wee virus came along, the dole was almost doubled for new recipients over night...............

do you folks even think about what you say, at all!

Now your just being silly and absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Someone better tell the northern Irish dole office that that e205 isn't enough to live on. It's iirc 70stg a week up there!
    Somewhat related every second fella on sites here in the north east is a nordie- I wonder why?!
    Can't the nordie assembly not double the dole so these lads don't have to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'm leaving the hotel I'm in for another hotel. They were almost on their knees to keep me. Oh you suddenly have all this extra money to offer me?

enricoh wrote: »
    Someone better tell the northern Irish dole office that that e205 isn't enough to live on. It's iirc 70stg a week up there!
    Somewhat related every second fella on sites here in the north east is a nordie- I wonder why?!

....and have a chat to those that have had to experience long term unemployment in the uk, you ll actually find cash in hand jobs are common, along side criminal behavior!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Am pretty sure a sizeable number on welfare have another income so are doing OK on the welfare and the extra money that comes their way no need for them to take up full time work that is been offered at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The pandemic has highlighted to many, including myself how little job security we have. Industries like retail, personal services and hospitality have little to no benefits. The pay is generally low, no health benefits, no overtime rates, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no pension contributions.

It was difficult to get on any courses I looked at over the pandemic, they were heavily booked up. I would imagine there are alot of people who have seen they can get better jobs, with better pay and conditions working less ****ty hours.

If employers want to keep their staff, better pay and conditions will be a good place to start.

Am pretty sure a sizeable number on welfare have another income so are doing OK on the welfare and the extra money that comes their way no need for them to take up full time work that is been offered at the moment .

More sillyness unless your referring to those on certain welfare payments LIGITIMATELY entitled to earn a limited additional income??

jrosen wrote: »
    The pandemic has highlighted to many, including myself how little job security we have. Industries like retail, personal services and hospitality have little to no benefits. The pay is generally low, no health benefits, no overtime rates, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no pension contributions.

It was difficult to get on any courses I looked at over the pandemic, they were heavily booked up. I would imagine there are alot of people who have seen they can get better jobs, with better pay and conditions working less ****ty hours.

If employers want to keep their staff, better pay and conditions will be a good place to start.

Well said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Basic economics and capitalism. Pay people a decent wage and they'll work for you, don't and they won't.

enricoh wrote: »

Apples and Oranges (no pun intended) comes to mind, their systems completely different, you should do some research, incidentally NI per captita compared to the Mainland UK has by far the most generous welfare supports and I might ADD this has caused quite some angst in the UK.

Anyway why drag NI into this thread, completely irrelevant.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I'm leaving the hotel I'm in for another hotel. They were almost on their knees to keep me. Oh you suddenly have all this extra money to offer me?

You've got me thinking, I've 30+ years experience in most departments, would your old job take my arm off if I send a resume :)

Really? I signed up for a course last week without any issue. Loads of space left and the entire course can be done remotely.

As soon as I downloaded the brochure someone from the college contacted me to talk over what was available and how I could sign up. Excellent service.

I haven't read the previous 8 pages. But on page one people were saying, better raise the minimum wage then as if that's a magic bullet, introduced in a vacuum.

Go back to the 90s and €10.20 would be very good income. Raise the minimum wage and other factors will kick in like inflation. Minimum wage type work can only be valued higher in the short term everything will equalise back fairly quickly.

...and what would your proof be of this certainty?

yes, covid yet again has proven that precariousness of employment is now an extremely serious problem, particularly for younger generations, couple that with growing precariousness of critical needs such as housing and accommodation, and you have an extremely serious problem brewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

is_that_so wrote: »
    As I said there are some who will do so and some of my anecdotes contradict your anecdotes. How did you manage to get begrudgery out of my post?

I got the bedrudgery from your resentment and belief that people are staying on PUP when they don't need to. And the fact that you believe it is a lot of money for people to recieve, despite the fact that it is not even at minimum wage levels. Bare in mind all of those people were tax payers into the system, when all these lockdowns were imposed on them and the rest of us.

...and what would your proof be of this certainty?

Check your local facebook group. You have loads of people offering services "cash in hand". Gardening, cleaning, carpentry etc etc etc. Majority of the local rubbish collection services are people on social, the people that dump all over the country side once they collect from your house

Also you will find a lot of the local child minding services are ladies who are on social welfare and minding children from home. It's hardly a secret, everyone knows it is going on. I was even told by one child minder the social dont care because they know people can't afford creche etc so this is way out for a lot of people

Really? I signed up for a course last week without any issue. Loads of space left and the entire course can be done remotely.

As soon as I downloaded the brochure someone from the college contacted me to talk over what was available and how I could sign up. Excellent service.

Last week? The post your referring too suggests applications made over the pandemic, not recently? I spoke to many people during the pandemic who found it very difficult to get on courses, I'm not being critical but obviously availability has improved somewhat recently

Check your local facebook group. You have loads of people offering services "cash in hand". Gardening, cleaning, carpentry etc etc etc

Also you will find a lot of the local child minding services are ladies who are on social welfare and minding children from home. It's hardly a secret, everyone knows it is going on. I was even told by one child minder the social dont care because they know people can't afford creche etc so this is way out for a lot of people

...im not on facebook, so you ll have to try harder!

....so if that is the case, is welfare actually enough, again considering the immediacy of the almost doubling of pup literally overnight?

The idea that minimum wage is a significant factor in overall inflation is always worth challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The situation in the US (which has a fairly liquid labor market) is that companies are increasing wages and benefits at the bottom end to get staff post-pandemic. This is exactly how the market should work.

I have previously repeated the "high min wage causes job losses" opinion but that's just my aversion to government interference (and I suspect many others too), and is really only applicable for a very niche set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Check your local facebook group. You have loads of people offering services "cash in hand". Gardening, cleaning, carpentry etc etc etc. Majority of the local rubbish collection services are people on social, the people that dump all over the country side once they collect from your house

Well if it's on Facebook it must be true....

The idea that minimum wage is a significant factor in overall inflation is always worth challenging.

let the central banks know if you find this inflation, as theyre also looking for it!

I hope those very worried about low income individuals avoiding taxes and living off govt handouts are similarly exercised by the defaulters list every year.

Mainly farmers, small business owners on it as i recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Well if it's on Facebook it must be true....

Infairness it's well known that there is a lot of cash in working going on.

Advertisement