Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

10 euro an hour is not exploitation, lets not pretend we’re on borderline slave wages like china etc..

Somebody working full time minimum wage in dublin can still afford to rent a room in a shared house in a suburb, buy food and pay a monthly bus ticket. When you find people ‘unable to survive’ you often find a desire to live alone / in the city centre, frivolous spending in other regards or just poor budgeting. Its not a glamorous life but 400 euro a week and paying basically nothing in tax. Not ‘opressive’

So that person could basically look forward to living to work, unless an unexpected expense arises and they're ****ed. At least in the US, there's a tenuous excuse for employers suppressing wages due to providing benefits such as healthcare. No excuse in Ireland for paying such low wages.

Sounds like the monkeys are tired of getting paid peanuts. It's about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Where are all these jobs? Welfare has a website called jobsireland. I just logged in and it says it has 3817 live positions. When you set the filter to paid position it says there are 1044 jobs nationwide. Then when you set to Dublin, you get 300.
    So using some maths, welfare has a super duper website for jobs, but less than one third of them are actual jobs, the rest are schemes, programs and businesses wanting free labour.

Where are these jobs please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Also I've noticed that the jobs advertised by recruitment agencies never reply. I've only gotten responses from jobs advertised directly by the company, but they're far and few between on jobs.ie.

I said suburbs.

You did not. You said "15 mins outside the city", then provided a list of places that are nowhere near 15 mins outside the city.

Santry is, at a minimum, 20 mins drive from O'Connell Street and certain parts of Tallaght are an hour away by car or 3 hours walking. That doesn't even take traffic at rush hour into consideration.

Also, the entirety of Dublin currently has three properties available on Daft.ie for €500 or lower. Two of them are student accommodation and the other is a dingy bedroom in Ballymun. None of your listed suburbs feature, surprisingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭doc22

You did not. You said "15 mins outside the city", then provided a list of places that are nowhere near 15 mins outside the city.

Santry is, at a minimum, 20 mins drive from O'Connell Street and certain parts of Tallaght are an hour away by car or 3 hours walking. That doesn't even take traffic at rush hour into consideration.

Also, the entirety of Dublin currently has three properties available on Daft.ie for €500 or lower. Two of them are student accommodation and the other is a dingy bedroom in Ballymun. None of your listed suburbs feature, surprisingly enough.

The student ones are shared bedrooms

• Advertisement

You can get a room in a shared house for about 500 a month 15 mins outside the city, nobody needs to pay 350 a week to live in the city earning minimum wage.

So, the above statement is demonstrably untrue. What you should have said is:

"there's a miniscule chance that you might get the only single room for under €500 a month in the entirety of the city, but it's an 80 minute walk from the IFSC and situated in the heart of that leafy suburb known as Ballymun. If you like, you can share your room with a student and that means you now have three properties to choose from.

Three properties. In a city of about 1.2 million."

GTFO of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

One would think the threads resident Alan Sugar would be a bit more tuned into the current state of the property market, especially when he makes grand sweeping statements about how affordable house shares are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Makes me sick the attitude of min wage workers should only aspire to live in a poxy house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

BASHIR wrote: »
    Makes me sick the attitude of min wage workers should only aspire to live in a poxy house share.

I wasn't earning minimum wage a few years back, I was 10K above it, and I could still only afford "a poxy house share".

I wasn't earning minimum wage a few years back, I was 10K above it, and I could still only afford "a poxy house share".

Not sure what your take is here but I don't think was right then and it sure hasn't got any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Again, this is not a wage issue.
    It's a broken housing sector issue.

Increasing wages will not put people in better accommodation.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Employers struggling to fill many positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed. E350 a week for many to sit on their ass or work for slightly more, if full time on minimum wage... More genius from FG, who could have foreseen such issues?

The whole Dail supported the PUP and SF wanted to up it to €500 / week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Not sure what your take is here but I don't think was right then and it sure hasn't got any better

I'm just saying getting a place to yourself is an expensive business to many many people, prohibitively expense to most, even well above minimum wage.

It's not a great situation, but I didn't have 1400 a month at the time to rent my own place. I was taking home about 1900 a month.

It's not a case of it's only minimum wage workers suffering at having their own places now or for a long time. It's long been the case that for many you need two incomes to rent a place to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Where are all these jobs? Welfare has a website called jobsireland. I just logged in and it says it has 3817 live positions. When you set the filter to paid position it says there are 1044 jobs nationwide. Then when you set to Dublin, you get 300.
    So using some maths, welfare has a super duper website for jobs, but less than one third of them are actual jobs, the rest are schemes, programs and businesses wanting free labour.

Where are these jobs please.

The greatest load of s***** of a website, 3000 vacancies my H***, try email one, put a few kettles on, you'll be waiting.

Just out of curiosity, I refined search to mine and surrounding county, 0, yes 0 in one county and 8 in the other, mostly public Jobs, all well and good if your a graduate or perhaps have some experience or of a certain age (of course they'd never discriminate overtly), if not perhaps you've a degree in Surgery, o there was one in a Boning factory, sounds really exciting, etc etc etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Off topic slightly, are we all excited about employers having to pay 10 certified sick days per annum? 4 years to wait of course, will undoubtedly used as an excuse to keep incomes down. You've really got to wonder if a business can pay a staff member 10 days or two weeks in a year sick pay, why arr they actually in business? Another joke, feel good legislation that is and will be utterly meaningless.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Again, this is not a wage issue.
    It's a broken housing sector issue.

Increasing wages will not put people in better accommodation.

Yes I know, I agree with that 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

This exactly.

There are all sorts of jobs that are low paid, someone has to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Off topic slightly, are we all excited about employers having to pay 10 certified sick days per annum? 4 years to wait of course, will undoubtedly used as an excuse to keep incomes down. You've really got to wonder if a business can pay a staff member 10 days or two weeks in a year sick pay, why arr they actually in business? Another joke, feel good legislation that is and will be utterly meaningless.

What was the last government policy that actually required effort from the government?

They implement legislation time and again that puts the burden of work onto something else.

Definitely frustrated with this. Its a sound bite and is meaningless.

I'm just saying getting a place to yourself is an expensive business to many many people, prohibitively expense to most, even well above minimum wage.

It's not a great situation, but I didn't have 1400 a month at the time to rent my own place. I was taking home about 1900 a month.

It's not a case of it's only minimum wage workers suffering at having their own places now or for a long time. It's long been the case that for many you need two incomes to rent a place to yourself.

I agree,
    some cases it requires four incomes to afford a two bed apartment, that imo is wrong.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Definitely frustrated with this. Its a sound bite and is meaningless.

It is and just more Kite flying nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Let them eat cheese attitude from the well heeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

jrosen wrote: »
    This exactly.

There are all sorts of jobs that are low paid, someone has to do them.

The issue is what that low wage minimum is. Same argument they're having in the US right now, the idea is that the minimum wage should afford a worker and ability to maintain a decent standard of living.

This is the result of a society that's built on undervaluing the cost of labor. Products are cheap because businesses can export production overseas to countries without worker protections and that don't pay anything close to the wages that they would in a developed.l country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

That's the respect working people get. It's a mix of greed and snobbery. Workers should be happy to have a job and live in new age tenements and be glad. It's obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Let them eat cheese attitude from the well heeled.

Besides 2010, it reminds me of the free cheese they use to give out to poor families in the late 80's during the recession before last. All the while Haughey and friends were living like Lords.
    Social divide between those look after themselves and working tax payers. Explains a lot, not just housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Shebean wrote: »
    That's the respect working people get. It's a mix of greed and snobbery. Workers should be happy to have a job and live in new age tenements and be glad. It's obscene.

With the follow on logic that people should train up if they want better pay. Well, if everyone followed that advice. Who would there be to do the crap jobs? Also, if more people trained up to better jobs, surely that would increase the supply for those positions, leading to a decline in wages or alternatively a huge drain of people from the Country as there wouldn't be the jobs available to match the skillsets with all the resultant knock-on effects.

What if these people dont want to change industries? What about your barber? Your local hairdresser? The trainer at the gym. If each one of these upskilled and moved on then those lower paid industries would loose valuable experience. Then why would people go into these jobs anymore if there was no longevity?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Shebean wrote: »
    Besides 2010, it reminds me of the free cheese they use to give out to poor families in the late 80's during the recession before last. All the while Haughey and friends were living like Lords.
    Social divide between those look after themselves and working tax payers. Explains a lot, not just housing.

They never went away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Hope it's better than the much vaunted paternal pay. That was a load of crap.

I took it when it first came out, getting 203e for two weeks, at a time when you need money you end up taking a huge drop in income to avail of it.

Financially it makes no sense. I think they were expecting employers to top it up. Zero chance with my manager at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I'm not really replying to your exact argument, I realise, but it is only fair to point out that there are businesses out there that deliberately mess their staff over, to make life handier for the business.

For example, the shop nearest to me pays minimum wage, and most staff are part time. However, what that shop have decided to do is spread the workers hours over 4-5 days.

So instead of giving the person 2 full days work, and letting them claim Social Welfare for the other days, they make them work 4-5 days a week, which disqualifies them from getting a social welfare payment.

(once I found out about this, I never shopped there again).

This is the kind of stuff that should be illegal. Or at the very least, the social welfare system should be based on how much you make, rather than how many days a week you work. Nonetheless, there you have very low-pay employees getting shafted and not really being able to do anything, cos if they walk from the job they'll get no dole at all (for 6 or 8 weeks).

EDIT: I removed the shop name, incase it causes hassle. Well-known 'corner shop' around the country though.

Would the shop be considered “central”

Advertisement