Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers struggling to fill positions with hundreds of thousands unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

If employers are unwilling or unable to pay a wage workers are interested in, maybe business isn't for them.
    We don't expect employers to choose making less money so why is it expected of workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Shebean wrote: »
    If employers are unwilling or unable to pay a wage workers are interested in, maybe business isn't for them.
    We don't expect employers to choose making less money so why is it expected of workers?

Well if that's the way we want to look at it, if people are unwilling work why should the taxpayer pick up the bill. Just leave them with 0.

The PUP has disrupted the market but it will be phased out so it won't be a long term issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mariaalice wrote: »
    Also, Ireland has become a wealthy country and moved up the food chain.

In a work situation, I let eastern europens in to do a very psychically hard dirty cleaning job, its down to better paying better-qualified jobs being available so the less attractive jobs are done by less educated less well of eastern europens.

2005 calling, Eastern Europeans are now all EU citizens and expect the same wages and don't do donkey work anymore, Brazilians and Indians on work permits are where its at now, I know of one business who require a 3rd level qualification but who won't pay the rate for that qualification, they've shipped over guys from India who are being paid through an Indian recruitment agency instead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well if that's the way we want to look at it, if people are unwilling work why should the taxpayer pick up the bill. Just leave them with 0.

The PUP has disrupted the market but it will be phased out so it won't be a long term issue.

A lot of those people spent decades working and paid into the system. Its is not on the state to subsidize failing businesses, who can't pay there employees.

wes wrote: »
    A lot of those people spent decades working and paid into the system. Its is not on the state to subsidize failing businesses, who can't pay there employees.

You'll find that those who shout the loudest are usually safely inside the public service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Nothing to do with unwilling to work. It's about employers having trouble filling low paid positions. People should be allowed shop around for a job where they've the opportunity to do so. If you're desperate you should still be able to live on your wages.
    People have as much right to expect a certain wage standard as an employer has to expect a certain work standard.

You'll find that those who shout the loudest are usually safely inside the public service

publicjobs.ie

Anybody who hasn't gotten a job through there in the past 7+ years is either unwilling to do the work or unable to get through the selection process. Neither of those two groups of people have any grounds to berate the PS without sounding like a moaning Michael.

Anyone refusing to return to jobs without a valid reason will have their PUP discontinued.

“Leo Varadkar has confirmed that anyone refusing to return to their job when lockdown is lifted will no longer be entitled to the Pandemic Unemployment Payment.” https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-says-thousands-lose-24076674

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

If employers are unwilling or unable to pay a wage workers are interested in

Seriously people - don't you understand that employers compete now with free money from welfare? Do you have ANY idea how economy works??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

zom wrote: »
    Seriously people - don't you understand that employers compete now with free money from welfare? Do you have ANY idea how economy works??

Your discription of free money quite offensive, I suggest you look into what PUP is and was intended for.

That aside, it's absolutely fascinating the commencement of Demonising PUP recepients before the economy has even opened fully.

To date there is ZERO evidence of any abuse of the PUP and refusal of people to return to work.

385k still in receipt this morning, let's wait and see in a month's time if there is any abuses going on, infact let's wait until the economy actually re opens

A perfect example is that clown, Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association, making all sorts of wild accusations about staff refusing work, you'd think Adrian, in his roll might look out the window and check how many pubs and restaurants open currently FFS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

:rolleyes::rolleyes: the irony of this is off the scale

Scoundrel wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: the irony of this is off the scale

The Bold font text must have been exhausting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Nothing to do with unwilling to work. It's about employers having trouble filling low paid positions. People should be allowed shop around for a job where they've the opportunity to do so. If you're desperate you should still be able to live on your wages.
    People have as much right to expect a certain wage standard as an employer has to expect a certain work standard.

Of course people can shop around for a job, they should in that case be moved to job seekers benefits.

People can expect whatever wage they like, but the ability they have to actually get that wage has numerous factors linked to it.

Living on wages that you mentioned is also dependent on what the standard of living one expects.

Anyway, once the place is back open the PUP should be removed and then people can decide if they want the job or job seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Scoundrel wrote: »
    the irony of this is off the scale
    It is easy to be ironic or sarcastic if someone else pays for it..

It is easy to be ironic or sarcastic if someone else pays for it..

PUP Recepients certainly paying for it. Apart from loosing their jobs through no fault of theirs or being stopped from being employed because of a pandemic let's Just to be clear so as to clarify your possible confusion.

In order to have recieved PUP in the first place, you had to have been in Taxable Employment or have been self employed, you know the types of employment that Pay Tax!!, in addition, the payment is also taxable.

I'm not going to get into a separate SW bashing diatribe, but its obvious what your feelings are on SW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We opened back up this week and every single one of us is back. Not only are we back but we are all doing more hours. Currently paying emergency tax and will continue to pay back the tax owed on the pup payments we received for god knows how long.

jrosen wrote: »
    We opened back up this week and every single one of us is back. Not only are we back but we are all doing more hours. Currently paying emergency tax and will continue to pay back the tax owed on the pup payments we received for god knows how long.

Glad to hear your back however the issue is due to Revenue not knowing you've closed your PUP payment and also the fact your classed as being on week one for taxation purposes. This was flagged by revenue to avoid people building up big personal tax liability in 2021.SW seem very quick to get info from revenue, not so quick sending it back. I'd get onto SW ASAP. Perhaps your employer might be able to advise Revenue also to speed up process.

Whilst your tax free allowance will be less this year in order to pay the very small amount of tax on the PUP for 2021, the tax payable for 2020 has been spread over 4 years, again you should by now have a statement of arrears and can if you wish pay it off in a lump sum. Indeed some actually got tax back depending on their circumstances.

As soon as revenue are aware your PUP closed, emergency tax stops but you'll see a small drop in tax free allowance for a while. I'm not a tax expert, just my own understanding of what the process it, perhaps check out taxation threads for advice.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I started back the week of the bank holiday. Didn't receive my holiday pay for the Monday so after working 4 days I was just about €100 euros better off than if have stayed on the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I started back the week of the bank holiday. Didn't receive my holiday pay for the Monday so after working 4 days I was just about €100 euros better off than if have stayed on the pup.

Should have started a week later so.

Should have started a week later so.
    I
    Probably why Rte1 radio this morning interviewing employers who can't get staff.
    They stated that alot of shops in Dundrum shopping centre couldn't open because of shortage of staff. Anyone know if this is accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I
    Probably why Rte1 radio this morning interviewing employers who can't get staff.
    They stated that alot of shops in Dundrum shopping centre couldn't open because of shortage of staff. Anyone know if this is accurate.

I have no idea if it's accurate. But I believe it's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm currently on the PUP. Have only been so for a few weeks now. I'm hopeful that I will return to my job in a few weeks. I could get a temporary job but because of my expected income for the year I'd be paying effectively a 50% rate of tax on everything I earn which means I'd definitely be worse off than if I just stayed on the PUP for the time being.
    High rates of income tax in this Country discourages hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Other argument is the cost of living here has risen a lot over the last few years and wages aren't increasing in tandem.
    To be honest I'd be looking at a lot of the excessive fat in the budget in this country and massive wastage. Trim a lot of that and costs for employers will fall and employees wages will stretch a lot more. That and the housing and rental sector needs serious attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

When you take a job, face a three tier tax bill when you receive wages from your employer. Most Low-paid workers do more standing work and not paid enough for the effort they put in during the day. Something hit very hard overtime pay and there no real incentive to earn higher. At the higher end that hit to wages isn’t as noticeable. At the lower pay scale is it. That extra 200 Euros of overtime could be money that allows you to have a nice holiday or buy something nice for yourself at end of the week. The tax system unfair to low earners.

Would you blame someone to not remain on PUP. Lot would be working 5 days a week 8 hours a day for the same money? I would have thought lockdown at level 5 stopped easy access to jobs anyhow. The country had restrictions. It be lot harder to travel weeks ago to a job in another county. Maybe people are just sick to death of not having a job month after month. Government forgets closing retail has an effect and lot of people just get sick of it when their job ends on their decision to close down everything. Many might not have skills to get a job in another sector of employment.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Glad to hear your back however the issue is due to Revenue not knowing you've closed your PUP payment and also the fact your classed as being on week one for taxation purposes. This was flagged by revenue to avoid people building up big personal tax liability in 2021.SW seem very quick to get info from revenue, not so quick sending it back. I'd get onto SW ASAP. Perhaps your employer might be able to advise Revenue also to speed up process.

Whilst your tax free allowance will be less this year in order to pay the very small amount of tax on the PUP for 2021, the tax payable for 2020 has been spread over 4 years, again you should by now have a statement of arrears and can if you wish pay it off in a lump sum. Indeed some actually got tax back depending on their circumstances.

As soon as revenue are aware your PUP closed, emergency tax stops but you'll see a small drop in tax free allowance for a while. I'm not a tax expert, just my own understanding of what the process it, perhaps check out taxation threads for advice.

Good luck.

Thanks Dempo called Revenue this week and they said to call back next week as there is a delay of about a week for them to get the confirmation from SW that the claim for pup has been closed.

Im jointly assessed and my husband paid more tax every month this year plus I stayed on week one basic all of last year once I returned to work. SO im hoping its not too bad once all balanced out.

jrosen wrote: »
    Thanks Dempo called Revenue this week and they said to call back next week as there is a delay of about a week for them to get the confirmation from SW that the claim for pup has been closed.

Im jointly assessed and my husband paid more tax every month this year plus I stayed on week one basic all of last year once I returned to work. SO im hoping its not too bad once all balanced out.

I rang on Wednesday and was told there was a 3 week delay due to large numbers. Hopefully your 1 week is right.

I rang on Wednesday and was told there was a 3 week delay due to large numbers. Hopefully your 1 week is right.

Even though they said one week in my head I was thinking it could be more.

I

If it’s true, then it’s up to the employer to take action by ending their employment. Then they are no longer entitled to PUP.

If it’s true, then it’s up to the employer to take action by ending their employment. Then they are no longer entitled to PUP.

Shops have been shut for 5 months , good chance a lot of people have found alternative employment, remember the PUP numbers dropped through the lockdown

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/labourmarket/liveregister/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A lot of people will be happy to continue to work as contact tracers instead of going back to retail. Know a few people who are doing it and will keep the job instead of going back to previous, less well paid and more physically demanding, work.

Advertisement