Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havnt been in dentists in years....

Options
  • 08-05-2021 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭

Folks I’m going to the dentist next week for the first time in approx 15 years

I’ve no major issues except I’ve noticed enamel has def weakened from my front teeth and also I have 1 “bad tooth” which is discoloured and there is a cavity

Can anyone advise me what the dentist will likely diagnose in terms of treatment and also, likely costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Folks I’m going to the dentist next week for the first time in approx 15 years

I’ve no major issues except I’ve noticed enamel has def weakened from my front teeth and also I have 1 “bad tooth” which is discoloured and there is a cavity

Can anyone advise me what the dentist will likely diagnose in terms of treatment and also, likely costs?

They'll likely examine and take a couple of xrays followed by a clean before they do anything. These are usually covered under your PRSI. If the tooth is obviously gone they could ask if you'd like it removed or give you a few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They'll likely examine and take a couple of xrays followed by a clean before they do anything. These are usually covered under your PRSI. If the tooth is obviously gone they could ask if you'd like it removed or give you a few options.

PRSI won't cover the cost of X-Rays. An annual examination and a scale and polish at a capped cost of €15. that is all you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

PRSI won't cover the cost of X-Rays. An annual examination and a scale and polish at a capped cost of €15. that is all you get.

I'm fairly sure they do or at least I had to have a couple of xrays and I wasn't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure they do or at least I had to have a couple of xrays and I wasn't charged.

It doesn't. https://www.dentalcareireland.ie/prsi-dental-entitlements/#I-am-eligible-for-PRSI-entitlements-what-do-I-receive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I get an annual check up which includes the X ray and a clean and only pay 15 euro.
    The dentist gets 42 Euro for this visit and can charge up to 15 Euro extra,I think its up to the individual dentist to decide what they include in the 42 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 brooke72

my boyfriend recently went to the dentist, and he made him repairs the front tooth and two back teeth for about € 100. then he went to him again and he made him 2 teeth only for 120€
    I don't know how it actually works ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don't think that actually states x-rays are excluded from the full oral examination.

In the previous incarnation of the PRSI claim form, prior to electronic formatting, it stated x-rays were included, this seems to have been left off the Welfare website and advice to Dentists, and replaced with "full oral examination". I have always taken that to include two bitewings (checks back teeth for cavities) but Im sure some Clinics do not.

Just to be aware, your earlier post where you said scale and polish is capped at €15, though technically correct, does not mean the patient will pay €15 to have their teeth cleaned. The scale and polish fee is limited to light scalings where plaque does not extend down into pockets between teeth or where there is periodontal inflammation/infection. If deeper cleaning is needed, the patient pays the difference between the PRSI contribution (€42) and the Clinic's private fee. To put that into perspective, if you state you want a €15 s&p only, that is all you will get, you will then have to make a seperate appointment to come back for sub gingival plaque removal, and have to pay full private fee for the second appointment which will cost you a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

brooke72 wrote: »
    my boyfriend recently went to the dentist, and he made him repairs the front tooth and two back teeth for about € 100. then he went to him again and he made him 2 teeth only for 120€
    I don't know how it actually works ...

Depends on size/type of filling. Small single surface fillings are obviously less expensive that large multi surface fillings that require more time and materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Sorry if off topic but how did you decide what dentist to go to? (or are you just going back to your former one)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

B2021M wrote: »
    Sorry if off topic but how did you decide what dentist to go to? (or are you just going back to your former one)

Going to a local one which has very good reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Going to a local one which has very good reputation.

Ah right. Always think its tricky to work out who is a decent one to go to as can vary a bit in quality i reckon.

Advertisement