Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 1080 - value?

Options
  • 08-05-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I bought this GTX 1080 a couple of years ago, installed it and it's rarely been used as I went completely off gaming not long after buying it.

It's sitting in my old desktop and never fires up as I'm not running anything taxing enough on it so I'm considering selling it.

What'd be a fair price to expect for it nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I bought one for 250 quid before the GPU shortage kicked in, but looking at adverts they seem to be fetching anywhere from 400-500 at the moment. You'll certainly have no problem shifting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I bought a reference 1080 from adverts for my son the other day as his gpu broke. I paid 420 if thats of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd gauge the 1080 as being the model slightly down from a 2070. 500eur would prob be good value right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sold my 1080ti for 250. It was a four year old card. Fair price. Could have gotten far higher, but wouldn't have felt right about it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sold my 1080ti for 250. It was a four year old card. Fair price. Could have gotten far higher, but wouldn't have felt right about it.

I'm sure the Crypto-miner who probably bought it couldn't believe his luck. He'd have been in pure profit with that card at that price in only about 7 weeks at current eTH mining Profit levels.

Theres loads of regulars on Adverts with sob stories about needing a new GPU as their old one broke, or needing a GPU any GPU for a new build etc. Look at their History on adverts though and they are buying and selling GPU's left right and centre. Either cycling in/out and upgrading, swapping in/out cards in their little mining farms on their garage or simply making money in this crazy S/H GPU market buying low and selling high. I wouldn't be surprised if your GPU went back on adverts a week later for €300 more than you sold it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was actually that guy recently. I had to go and desperately make offers on about 4 different GPUs for a new 5600X build, ended up getting a GTX770 for a not awful price all things considered (€90). Never even had to use it as someone loaned me a better GTX970 after I bought it. That will do me grand until I can get a 6700 or 6800 in one of the drops eventually.

I also recently sold an RX6800 for €750 which I thought was reasonable enough. Kinda funny now I didn't keep it as just a few weeks later I ended up having to build a new desktop as my gaming laptop I had been relying on to be my main PC started crapping out.

€250 for a 1080Ti though is dramatically under-valuing it in the current market. Fair play to you as a seller, hope it went to an appreciative home and not someone who'll flip it for €300 profit straight away.

That reminds me. The lad in Galway who seems to have spent his life savings on GPU's and then trying to sell them at extortionate costs is still adding to his inventory despite nothing having sold in about a month.

Last I checked he had a 1080Ti for €850, RX6800 for €1,300 and an RX570 for €600, some old gammy R9 380 for €300, etc. Few PC's as well. Keeps deleting the ads and re-uploading them every other day, but still seems to have them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well considering a 3080 is generating around €20-25 a day in mining right now, he can prob just mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Giblet wrote: »
    Well considering a 3080 is generating around €20-25 a day in mining right now, he can prob just mine.

FFS!! I need to get this PC finished. Come on Amazon with my feckin Backplate Heatsinks!! I'm leaving wads of cash on the table here with my 3090!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Homelander wrote: »
    That reminds me. The lad in Galway who seems to have spent his life savings on GPU's and then trying to sell them at extortionate costs is still adding to his inventory despite nothing having sold in about a month.

Last I checked he had a 1080Ti for €850, RX6800 for €1,300 and an RX570 for €600, some old gammy R9 380 for €300, etc. Few PC's as well. Keeps deleting the ads and re-uploading them every other day, but still seems to have them all.

From what I am seeing, it looks like the high prices and mining demand have attracted quite a few of your usual opportunist "buy and sell anything and yo' mam" types, who don't necessarily even understand what they are trying to make a business of - they just go either by checking prices around and acting accordingly, or literally throwing stuff at a wall so see what sticks (seems to be the case of "Galway Guy" - wonder if they'll make a song about it!). For many of them it ends up working one way or the other, as usually one good sale might offset two bad buys and so on.

This kinda happened during the 2017 Crypto craze as well - I know at least three people who never even had a PC (other than the usual 399.99 Euro "laptops" you buy in places like Harvey Norman) who went out and started buying any GPU they'd find, regardless of their suitability for mining, nor their age (and were surprised when they did not sell for their huge markup price).

PS. it's kinda incredible we're pretty much talking about GPUs as if they were illegal stuff by now - dealings in petrol stations and underground car parks included :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

That is exactly what it looks like he is doing. Look at all these cards and he is still trying to buy more.

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2196510/ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Homelander wrote: »
    That is exactly what it looks like he is doing. Look at all these cards and he is still trying to buy more.

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2196510/ads

Buying up old systems that have graphics cards in em as well, would absolutely love to see the market fall out of it's arse and him getting stung for a few grand.

Advertisement