Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I've been hodling xrp and LTC since 2017! Come on baby! Nows my time! 🤣

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Fair enough, but I would respectfully disagree to an extent. I would say that things have value when everyone (or maybe I should say 'enough' people) agree they do, that's it. Be that gold, baseball cards, crypto, etc.

But, to be honest, I expect we'll go around in circles on this, and potentially bring the thread down a path it's been too many times, so let's just enjoy all the green charts for now, we've been waiting long enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If you dig into things they are not that simple. The tokens you mentioned are from previous cycles so people are investing as they are ‘established’. The technology has moved on though. Solana for example is undervalued. It’s very user friendly, fast (near instant) and has cheap transactions. The dexs there are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Intrinsic value is a weird thing to get hung up on. Just because you don't see the "value" that others do, doesn't mean it's not there.

No one saw the "value" in putting your date of birth, country and gender on your profile. But Facebook and Google did and they sold the data that people gave them for free for billions and billions of dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Never have I heard such nonsense. Echoes the same sentiments that resisted automobiles over horses!

The horse is here to stay but the automobile is a passing fad. - Advisor to Henry Ford's Lawyer

Your argument is like asking "Why buy BMW or Volkswagen or Toyota if Ford is already mass producing?" This is the standard of debate here.

Whatever was left of your mask has truly slipped off. You are as anti-crypto as they get and, frankly, I don't believe you have ever purchased, mined or held a single cent worth of crypto in your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

BTC, BCH and LTC aren't that different from each other.

I agree Solana is relatively good within the crypto sphere, but it's just another platform by crypto for crypto within a crypto sphere, all of which is based around turning digital tokens/coins into real money, whether for the developers, or us. Ultimately BTC with bells and whistles on.

Keep in mind the world isn't reliant on any of this stuff, as mentioned if it snapped out of existence tomorrow, you wouldn't notice any difference, everything would just run as normal. A bunch of people would lose money and a whole bunch of crypto firms, that are entirely reliant on exchanging their tokens for our money, would go out of business.

There's no mask, I'm critical of crypto and have been for a long time. Step outside the bubble and many are. Most of it is total garbage. I've also defended crypto, you might new to this forum, but back in e.g. 2018 this forum had plenty of individuals claiming it would go to zero, which I never agreed with. In 2017 I was much more bullish on Ethereum and alts but since then I've seen where 99% of crypto projects go and yeah, let's just say it's always the same.

Obviously this is a crypto thread during a bull run, so naturally people don't want to hear it, they just want to enjoy the gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I wouldn't buy anything in the top 50 now. chance for x2 to x3 with a lot of downside but for fun if you are willing to lose money for chance of big gains i'd buy say €500 of sol and try your luck on shitcoins. 100x to be had if you are lucky, treat it as gambling though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

When you say ‘collapses’, do you mean fall by 80%+ as it has before?

As long as you follow the ‘rules’ (only invest what you can easily afford, diversify, take a long term view, DCA, etc), history has proven multiple times, you’ll eventually up in profit

So i’d say just forget about it for a few years, things will come round again, and then you can cash out, likely in profit 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Mad to think around this day 4 years ago bitcoin 4k and now 72k.

That Covid crash was a mad few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

It's funny this talk on intrinsic value. The euro, the dollar the Swiss franc all only have value because someone decided they did and then linked them directly to GDP of that country or region. "Forcing" payment in that currency. Some crypto are pure shitcoins, some crypto are stores of money, some crypto allow the working of a chain ecosystem, some crypto pay their workers in their currency and charge clients in the same currency to pay their workers.

Nosana (one of many) for example is currently preparing a mass distributed graphics card network for AI tasks. This will have a real world impact for people or smaller companies who want access to this hardware and would never be able to afford the regular supplier prices. The gamer who has a powerful card sitting idle most of the day wins as does the person who needs some AI calcuations done "cheaper". One example of many. There ARE real world use cases for crypto but you need to dig among the thousands of shitcoins to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are people thinking timing-wise for the correction this time? Id say nothing to worry about until the end of Summer anyway. Just a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

im not expecting one for the main guys. Nothing like the past anyway.

not selling.

don't care not selling, BTC, Eth, link. Eth upgrade incoming in 2 days. Though it's taking a somewhat odd change in focus...maybe.

I'd say November/ December if the cycle just repeats. But who knows what will happen.

Plan for ten years time not ten months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I also find it difficult to believe Dohnjoe's claims that he owns (or has ever owned) any crypto.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Post edited by el diablo on

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I start giving out about AMP and is rises 150% overnight FFS

Shows what I know. At keast I kept my holding .

Saying that, there's still zero news of any development, so unless there's something happening in the background which someone has wind of causing the spike, still dubious

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Western union payments can take days and cost a couple of percent, you can do the same thing with crypto in seconds and pay a fraction of a penny. Defi are exchanges that don’t go down during high traffic like cex’s.

BTC is far more secure than BCH and LTC.

Feels like I've travelled back in time to 2017 ;)

We can pay in seconds for things, online and at tills. Transfers are getting faster, most of my bank transfers and request for bank transfers are done in seconds. Money is accepted everywhere. And it's insured. And there is recourse. And I don't have to mind it on a wallet, watching out for malware, software, hardware issues, remembering passwords 4 years later, making one mistake and it's gone.

Public/business, in general, don't use crypto.

Enthusiasts do, or try to, jumping through hoops to do basic things like purchases and transfers and getting excited about the novelty of it. And that's cool, but 99 times out of 100 cash is simply easier and faster and more accepted.

The best advancement is that I can transfer money to Revolut, buy crypto, liquidise it and transfer the money back to my main bank account in under 20 seconds. That's all that really matters in crypto, people having easy access to trade it and push the price up/down.

We are still in the pioneering stage where it is the innovators that are making those efforts.

Look back when the car over took the horse. They were slow, they were dangerous, there was nowhere to buy petrol, it couldn't drive in snow. Why solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Look back at EVs. People scoffed then. Why buy one when you can only drive 70km, there is nowhere to charge, it takes hours to charge, you can't turn on the heaters. Why are we trying to solve a problem when we have petrol cars that drive 500km and top up in mins.

Now we are on the cusp of solid state batteries with 1000km range that top up in 5 mins. In ten to twenty years you won't have petrol stations.

• Advertisement

We are still in the pioneering stage where it is the innovators that are making those efforts.

Mostly this is a trope. It's 15 years since BTC came out. In 15 years enthusiasts will be repeating this same line "this is just the beginning"

I can list all these "slogans", ultimately each one is designed to get people to think that crypto is the future and hence they need to invest. All of this boils down to that.

Anyway, as mentioned, people want to enjoy the bull run, and I know some don't like to hear criticism right now, so prob best to continue this in the "worried" thread.

Two picks, Solchat market cap 50mil, social app. Print, 6mil cap. Transfer fees are high and distributed to holders in SOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Of topic but are we really at the cusp of solid state batteries with 1000km range that can top up in 5 mins? If that is coming, how many years until we have the electrical infrastructure to supply such requirements. I'm taking both general network and actual power generation considering we are struggle to power the country as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

If we don’t have petrol stations then how is the lambo gonna run?

One point you haven't mentioned is that a crypto transfer has (in theory) no exchange fees. It's the same in Brazil, Ireland, Switzerland and Hong Kong. The amount is the amount, no transfers from Euro to CHF and currency exchange fees, very low cost (if you select the correct network). Yes you currently need an on and off ramp which sort of negates this advantage but maybe one day you won't. It will be an uphill battle to dethrone the current system and maybe it never will but there are clear advantages though still a long way to go with regarding ease of use for Joe and Mary Bloggs. We are still very early in the adoption cycle but the number of daily users in the crypto sphere is rising, albeit slowly. I think we were at half a billion regular users in June of last year which has surely risen now with the uptrend.

Time will tell but at the very minimum, certain aspects of crypto are here to stay.

You push it with your hand while going bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

That kinda defeats the purpose of owning a lambo, ugly too from the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sorry but just to be clear, I've no intention whatsoever in buying crypto. Probably as likely as Charlie Munger at this stage.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Okay just to address this

"In theory". In practice I've spent far more in crypto transfers and exchange fees in the last 7 years than I've spent on bank accounts/transfers in my entire life.

That aside, yes some crypto moves fast and (almost) feeless, but we have cash systems that can move stuff fast and (almost) feeless.

Take Revolut for example. Transfers to other revolut accounts? Free. Transfers to domestic accounts? Free. Transfers to the EU? Free. Transfers outside Europe? Usually around 0.15% or 0.20%.

As for the "this is early yet". It's 15 years. Crypto purchases (after a peak) are decreasing. The public don't want to pay for their rent/utilities/groceries/etc in thousands of different volatile private assets or stable-coins no matter how "fast and feeless" they are. People don't want to play with passwords and one mistake and it's gone. Business absolutely doesn't want to touch that.

Maybe there's a future with fully regulated crypto stable-coins as alternative currencies (and not risky **** like Tether and Terra)

Advertisement