Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s not a grand conspiracy, every nation state is printing and spending too much money. That borrowed money has interest attached and it’s compounding. This leads to inflation as any asset you sell in worth more than the cash you are getting that is devaluing. Cash and bonds are bleeding value so people look to other assets to park their cash in. Crypto is a volatile asset any uncertainty and the market reacts.

The crypto market is still up, it’s just not up as much as people were expecting but that’s the reality of volatile assets. The ETF’s can also buy off chain and take days to buy which means they have the ability to influence the market to their advantage. Large BTC holders will also look to offload to buy the ETFs as it’s easier to mind and transfer to family through inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Thats much more like it, positioned nicely now for BTC to blast through the ath - 100k here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

Anyone know how to deal with CGT if I only want to take some profit, let's say a simple example, if I'd put 1000 in crypto, let's say it's now 5000,but I want to take 1500, with the allowance I think e1240 or so, how is this dealt with for tax input, then in another 2 months I want to take more out? I understand the process if I was to cash out completely, just a bit unsure of the above scenario. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's based on first in, first out. The first x number of tokens you buy are deemed to be the ones sold.

Let's make it really simple. You bought 1000 coins at €1 each. They have now 5X and are worth €5 each.

At €5 a coin:

300 tokens = €1500

Cost of 300 tokens = €300

Capital Gain = €1200

Less Tax credit of €1270

Tax due = €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

OK thanks. So then, if I sold another say, 300 tokens a month later with the same numbers as above, then I presume I can't deduct the exemption as it has already been used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah it's the total for that year. You declare it regardless even if you are under the 1270 you just don't pay anything.

But if you sold 1270 in March you wouldn't pay tax on that first batch.

But if you another 1000 in August. You would pay CGT on that second 1000 and so on.

If you sold 1270 once a year for 5 years you wouldn't pay any tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

What about when you've bought fractions of a coin multiple times due to dollar cost averaging so the amount of coin and individual buys changes a lot

For example:

0.134 bought for €150

0.24 bought for €200

0.35 bought for €250

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not a problem — the FIFO rule applies as normal. Suppose you bought the coins in your example in the order that you set them ouot. Then you sell 0.3 of a coin. You'll be taken to have sold the 0.134 that you bought at €150, and the balance, 0.166, out of the 0.24 that you bought at €200, and your loss or gain will be calculated accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't understand your reasoning. I would consider it far easier to pass on my wallet to my descendents than empty it to buy ETF's and pass on those instead. It's far more financially efficient, avoiding multiple fee attracting transactions.

You can't buy BTC off-chain. The only place BTC actually resides is on the chain. If you mean't peer to peer instead of via an exchange, then that of course is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bleaks

As a subsequent point, you can offset any closed positions you made a loss on (let's say for sh*tcoins) in any given year against your profit on good coins… so let's say you take the hit of a -500 loss on your sh*tcoin, and make 1770 profit on a good coin, your 1270 overall gain will balance as tax free under the threshold.

I have heard, though I'm not 100% sure about this, you can carry a loss on closed positions from a previous year into the current year to further offset against your gains in the current/next year. Anyone know if this is correct?

• Advertisement

It’s larger holders. They would prefer the asset managed by the ETF for simplicity, less chance of theft or errors happening. You might be comportable but many are not.

I said off chain but ment OTC.

You can carry forward capital losses to latter years and use them to offset later capital gains:

Allowable losses that exceed the chargeable gain

You might have losses that you cannot use because:

they are more than gains made by you in the same tax year

you did not make any gains in the same tax year.

Carry forward capital losses

You will be able to carry forward the losses. This means you can use
    them against capital gain you make in later years. You need to include
    the carried-forward loss in your calculation of CGT for the later year.
    You also enter the carried-forward loss on the CGT return form for the
    later year.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/if-you-make-a-loss.aspx

There is an exception, which is ETF's, which in a typical Irish mind-fu​ck, is treated differently, unlike any other country.

Whether or not you make a capital gain on ETF's, every 8 years you will be taxed on the deemed theoretical gain you might have made if you had sold them. And as if that weren't financial insanity enough, if you then make an actual loss, not only won't you get the tax back, you wont even be able to offset the loss against capital gains in any class of asset.

In case you are unaware, this is not normal and does not happen in sane countries. There is a special level in hell reserved for the ar​sehole civil servants in Finance and Revenue who dreamed up this shi​tbaggery and managed to sell it to the stupid politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I'm investing heavily in MAGA coin fir the remainder of this USA election, I could easily see it riding the trump wave over the next few months.

After a long search of the depths of my soul, I have failed to find any legitimate basis on which to wish you luck.

What's wrong with my reasoning? I've already made back x5 my money investing in MAGA since the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But who would wish to profit from so base a transaction?

I don't know, is it really any worse then the long investments here people made on Cryptos with the face of a Dog on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Separating morons from their money, less to spend on guns.

I wouldn’t invest heavily in a sh*t coin. There are too many rugs in the space. That could pump with the election but it could also be a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

I have a small bit invested in crypto, considering how volatile the whole market is, I don't know how people sleep at night when it could all go pear shaped over night, maybe I am too risk averse but I would struggle a lot in my head with big money invested.

• Advertisement

It's a lot easier when you get in during market cycle bottoms and everything is up multiple times your initial

Its a volatile asset class, returns can be big, and losses too, so never put in more than you can afford to lose (excluding BTC to some extent).

Crypto market is cyclical, the real money is made buying at the bottom and selling during the bull market cycle. During last bottom, BTC was circa 15k, ETH 800, SOL 10 bucks, ADA 24c

Never put more into Memecoins than you are willing to lose on a greyhound race.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A lot of people have **** it money that they throw into Crypto. If it all goes pear shaped so be it.

Never put money into an investment you aren't prepared to make a massive loss on, or even lose it all.

Or even worse, borrow money/use credit card to buy crypto.

It's not crypto but it feels like something people into crypto would be interested in, but who's following the GameStop drama and the updates from Roaring kitty aka DeepFuckingValue? It really feels like everything is coming true, after everyone making fun of it all and dismissing it without understanding

A fairly regular guy has essentially traded his way from $50k to half a billion $ net worth in 3 years, and is likely going higher. All against hedge funds trying to short the company to death. Easily one of the greatest trading stories in history, it's just unbelievable.

Post edited by HGVRHKYY on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I've been following it, no interest in actually owning any meme stock but it's a fun story to follow. He's doing a live stream today, looking forward to the madness it will bring.

I still own a small few that I've held since 2021 purely as a "what if" bet, so it's very entertaining seeing all of this unfold. All the people on Reddit who were laughed at for their crazy theories are being proven right in the end.

It might be good for the pocket to follow Roaring Kitty but I just tuned in to the stream for 5 mins there and my god he's difficult to listen to, could be that he's watching what he says after threats from the SEC, but I couldn't listen to him for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It's a hatred of Trump and everything to do with him. No idea what TDS is supposed to mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

Trump Derangement Syndrome.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement