Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭bankboucy

dockysher wrote: »
    Only lose if you sell. Be patient and everything will turn round only matter of time

But what if it isn’t ? Anglo Irish Bank shareholders thought the same things…….Ireland’s richest man went bankrupt thinking that Anglo wasn’t built on bull ****

When main transacting token sitting between Bitcoin & other crypto and real money……..USD- Tether……is backed by 3 cents for every 100 cents…..your in Anglo land again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

bankboucy wrote: »
    But what if it isn’t ? Anglo Irish Bank shareholders thought the same things…….Ireland’s richest man went bankrupt thinking that Anglo wasn’t built on bull ****

When main transacting token sitting between Bitcoin & other crypto and real money……..USD- Tether……is backed by 3 cents for every 100 cents…..your in Anglo land again

Anglo was a whole different story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Again, if people are so sure Bitcoin is going to rebound - why aren't they piling all of their spare money into it? Or their life savings? :)

It's almost like all the rallying/booster talk is just talk - with the amounts people are claiming to be putting in, being a piddling amount.

It's almost as if people know Bitcoin's value depends on governments allowing it to operate - as if Bitcoin's design makes it practical to extort governments at a scale much larger than before - and as if governments are in the process of gradually stamping Bitcoin out, due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

dockysher wrote: »
    Only lose if you sell. Be patient and everything will turn round only matter of time

Nonsense. If you sell today and buy in at a lower price and it rebounds a bit from that you win.

It may never reach $50k again.

When people take meme phrases and think they're actually worth something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Nonsense. If you sell today and buy in at a lower price and it rebounds a bit from that you win.

It may never reach $50k again.

Obviously if you mistime that sell then you could lose even more if you try to renter the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

seannash wrote: »
    So you said you can see it in a wallet app. I assume this is on the person who made the investments phone right?
    If so he would need to set up an account on an exchange that would allow him to cash out to USDT or euros directly (it all depends on the coin but im assuming ethereum since you mentioned it)
    Coinbase, Binance, kraken for example.
    Once he does that he transfers the coins from his "wallet app" to the exchange and then swaps it for Euros (or usdt if a direct swap to euros isn't available)

Binance would be my choice of exchanges to do all this as the fees are low enough and they have the most pairings.

Must be said don't respond to anyone pm'ing you, they may just steal your crypto.

Thank you for your help and all other contributors.

To answer someone else’s question - yes the investor has the codes/keys to his own investment.

Some nice rallying there over the past 12 hours, America gonna wake up and sell the fück out of it though :pac:

Some nice rallying there over the past 12 hours, America gonna wake up and sell the fück out of it though :pac:

🚨 520 BTC ($18,997,408) transfered from Unknown to Binance
    Sender's balance: 0

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

KyussB wrote: »
    Again, if people are so sure Bitcoin is going to rebound - why aren't they piling all of their spare money into it? Or their life savings? :)

It's almost like all the rallying/booster talk is just talk - with the amounts people are claiming to be putting in, being a piddling amount.

It's almost as if people know Bitcoin's value depends on governments allowing it to operate - as if Bitcoin's design makes it practical to extort governments at a scale much larger than before - and as if governments are in the process of gradually stamping Bitcoin out, due to this.
    Not selling and buying are two very different things. The Bitcoin current price is the same as it was in February. I wasn't throwing my whole life savings into it at $35k then, and won't be putting my whole life savings into it at $35k in May. I have the amount invested that I want to invest, other money always was and remains diversified to other assets.

I don't think the HODL thing is rallying/booster talk, it's good advice from those who've sat through 50% corrections in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Am wondering the same, we expecting a big sell off from 1pm or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thank you for your help and all other contributors.

To answer someone else’s question - yes the investor has the codes/keys to his own investment.

You can buy and sell limited quantities of a limited range of major coins on https://www.belgacoin.com/, without having to go through all the KYC stuff with an exchange. I have used them without any problems.

Badly fukt wrote: »
    �� 520 BTC ($18,997,408) transfered from Unknown to Binance
    Sender's balance: 0

Yep!

I'd laugh hard if they dumped that lot, someone else snarfed them up quick, then the price immediately started climbing locking them out of buying them back at a lower price.

1) Never invest more than you can afford to lose
    2) Diversify your investments

How does bitcoin extort governments? In my experience, it's always governments that do the extorting.

The same way goverments successfully stamped out drugs, organised crime and money laundering?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cnocbui wrote: »
    The same way goverments successfully stamped out drugs, organised crime and money laundering?

How many companies listed on the Irish Stock Exchange sell heroin?

The inability to stamp something out from underground markets does not mean that governments cannot limit, obstruct, or control the use of something in regular ones.

Now, don't twist what I am saying please a la "so you're saying that X/Y/Z" where X/Y/Z is something ridiculous. All I am saying is that a government doesn't have to be able to completely stamp something out in order to affect it. They would have very little, almost zero control, on what goes on in a parallel system for you as long as you never need to leave that system. But you can't live fully in that system.

You can make your millions on bitcoin, and when you want to buy a car the dealer may accept bitcoin as payment. But you will then need to register and tax that car etc.

What would the value of 1 bitcoin be if it was non-convertible except on black markets? Unlikely to happen of course, but an interesting question I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Been purchasing some BTC & ETH the past few days. Looks like we’ll have volatility for a while to come but I don’t plan selling any time soon in anycase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Started untethering into a few alts over the course of yesterday. Didn't quite catch the very bottom but happy enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I seriously doubt that's the bottom. If this rebound kicks back enough, I'll be selling portions of my remaining.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that's the bottom. If this rebound kicks back enough, I'll be selling portions of my remaining.

Same, I suspect there's another decent dip left yet. In the mean time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

You should really just sell it all

• Advertisement

How many companies listed on the Irish Stock Exchange sell heroin?

You can make your millions on bitcoin, and when you want to buy a car the dealer may accept bitcoin as payment. But you will then need to register and tax that car etc.

I plan to leave the country permanently, so that's the car/tax thing sorted, but thank you for caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cnocbui wrote: »
    I plan to leave the country permanently, so that's the car/tax thing sorted, but thank you for caring.

Not every post is about you or your personal situation. Sorry to disappoint you. If I used the word "you" I meant in the general sense.

Let me rephrase then:
    If one lives entirely within the system then there is little that the government can do. But one cannot, in practice, live entirely within that system. Even if all of one's income and outgoings one inside that system, one has to live in the physical world.

I can buy gold, hide it in my safe and keep it there. But eventually I will have to exchange it for something. Governments have, in the past, made ownership and trading in gold illegal. Even some relatively recent examples that probably would surprise some on here. Those rules and laws greatly affected its price. A government could not halt a black market in its trade, but its laws would affect the official price.

You can disagree to what extent a government would be likely to impose restrictions. You should not disagree that they could impose restrictions. That risk is non-zero. You can form the opinion that it is small, but if you just blindly dismiss it without actually thinking about it, then that is because you don't understand that risk. People who don't understand risks do well until they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You should really just sell it all

I don't agree. I'll always keep a portion of BTC, Eth, and alts - too many friends and colleagues have "sold all" in the past and done themselves. I have an obsessive thing of keeping a portion of every alt I've ever bought, the only coin I ever fully dumped was MCO for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

I don't agree. I'll always keep a portion of BTC, Eth, and alts - too many friends and colleagues have "sold all" in the past and done themselves. I have an obsessive thing of keeping a portion of every alt I've ever bought, the only coin I ever fully dumped was MCO for some reason.

Why would you sell a portion of it recovers a little when you could have dumped it 70% higher a few weeks ago? What’s changed in your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Can't tell which feels worse - FOMO or getting rekt. Feeling both in equal measure right now, not good.

Rekt status diminishing. FOMO dominating. Bull trap wariness increasing.

Lets see how the soft-handed yankydoodles will react this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Quick question on Binance. How do I change BTC to Fiat quickly. I only see a convert and a withdraw option standing out. In case I want to gamble that I'm at a peak, sell and then buy in on a low, if the low comes. I know it could keep going up but I just want to know in case I go down that road.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Essentially, everyones speculative investment here depends on major worldwide governments allowing Bitcoin to exist without clamping it down out of existence - yet everybody is so certain, despite major Bitcoin-enabled attacks on world governments/infrastructure (including our own), that governments aren't in the process of clamping down on it - or otherwise have convinced themselves that Bitcoins existence/value doesn't depend on the above.

A lot of faith expressed in the return of Bitcoin's value here, without any smarts/logic accounting for world governments sudden turn against it, and how its value depends on the whims of world governments.

If you're going to engage in speculation where you're try to beat all the other suckers participants - why on earth would you ignore the no.1 most important cue (governments turning against it) for getting the hell out of the speculative bubble? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Essentially, everyones speculative investment here depends on major worldwide governments allowing Bitcoin to exist without clamping it down out of existence - yet everybody is so certain, despite major Bitcoin-enabled attacks on world governments/infrastructure (including our own), that governments aren't in the process of clamping down on it - or otherwise have convinced themselves that Bitcoins existence/value doesn't depend on the above.

A lot of faith expressed in the return of Bitcoin's value here, without any smarts/logic accounting for world governments sudden turn against it, and how its value depends on the whims of world governments.

If you're going to engage in speculation where you're try to beat all the other suckers participants - why on earth would you ignore the no.1 most important cue (governments turning against it) for getting the hell out of the speculative bubble? :)

Why don't you ask all the governments, investment firms, private pension funds, companies and banks that have embraced cryptocurrency?

What is it with your emojis? Cause I'll tell you, you're not coming across half as clever as you clearly think you are.

"Governments are clamping down on BTC"... I haven't been shuck by that one since 2017.

Try harder.

• Advertisement

Quick question on Binance. How do I change BTC to Fiat quickly. I only see a convert and a withdraw option standing out. In case I want to gamble that I'm at a peak, sell and then buy in on a low, if the low comes. I know it could keep going up but I just want to know in case I go down that road.

Chances are in a situation where you need to do anything quickly Binance will crash with the load

Advertisement