Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

pioneerpro wrote: »
    What lame ducks list on ISEQ lmao. FWIW GlaxoSmithKline and a bunch of other companies operational in Ireland listed on LON or NYS/NASDAQ sell heroin.

To add to that, JP Morgan, HSBC and Standard Chartered amongst others have spent the past 20+ years laundering at minimum over $2 trillion for criminal clients.

What a shame Bitcoin wasn't around back then so people would have an easy scapegoat - although...wait a second... wouldn't a traceable permanent uneditable ledger have made this much easier to find out about years in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1396837884787924998

Nearly $2 billion in total gone onto binance across multiple transactions.

Excuse my ignorance...
    I thought if it's a transfer to the exchange, it is because the holder wishes to sell?
    Reading on Twitter however, it suggestive that this is a potential buy signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Excuse my ignorance...
    I thought if it's a transfer to the exchange, it is because the holder wishes to sell?

That's USDT - US Dollar Tether - effectively digital fiat pinned to the US Dollar.

You only move it from cold storage if you're going to do something with it - and people don't HODL stablecoins to sell, particularly ones pinned to inflationary backing.

If it was BTC/ETH or something moving onto an exchange then yeah, that would be a sell signal.

Cash moving onto an exchange is a buy signal. Nearly 2$ billion in an hour to a single exchange? <insert rocket emoji>

Excuse my ignorance...

Yes, trade USDC (which is a stablecoin) for other crypto

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

thanks for the explainers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Volume atm seems to disagree, but always a possibility.

Yeah it's most likely to buy but I also like to consider the opposite view just so that I'm mentally prepared for it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

grindle wrote: »
    To add to that, JP Morgan, HSBC and Standard Chartered amongst others have spent the past 20+ years laundering at minimum over $2 trillion for criminal clients.

What a shame Bitcoin wasn't around back then so people would have an easy scapegoat - although...wait a second... wouldn't a traceable permanent uneditable ledger have made this much easier to find out about years in advance?

C'mon man, Your other posts here are reasonable. It was a simple point that the failure to control black markets does not mean an inability to control any regular market - as the poster I replied to appeared to think. Their point appeared to be that there are illegal markets for drugs - ergo there could be no regulation of cryptocurrency. That is a nonsense.

It surely didn't go over your head? Did it? I never mentioned money laundering so I don't know why you brought that up. You might as well have linked to an article about the 1983 All Ireland Final for all the relevance it has.

The other poster can imagine that he could set up a company going around dealing heroin tomorrow and list it on the NYSE if he wants. Heroin now - not any other opioid or similar. You appeared to be a bit more on the ball though.

It surely didn't go over your head? Did it? I never mentioned money laundering so I don't know why you brought that up. You might as well have linked to an article about the 1983 All Ireland Final for all the relevance it has.

I wasn't really referencing your post, but cnocbui's post which you were replying to did mention money laundering. Soz for any confusion if you thought I was calling you out, it's more of a snipe at the general population who think crypto=flat-out bad. I've been reading this sh!t for 5 years now and there's always new people convinced everything is a scam because it's illiquid and volatile.

Even some of those people who think crypto=BTC are apparently in the "Blockchain good, Bitcoin bad" camp but haven't wrapped their heads around the need for an incentive structure to convince nodes to provide security (not to say I think intensive mining is good, it's just great for bootstrapping a network).
    Without any incentive we'd be left with the blueprint of an amazing technology that some companies would use and be nodes for and that would make it about as useful as a chocolate teapot in the grand scheme of things.

I wasn't really referencing your post, but cnocbui's post which you were replying to did mention money laundering. Soz for any confusion if you thought I was calling you out, it's more of a snipe at the general population who think crypto=flat-out bad. I've been reading this sh!t for 5 years now and there's always new people convinced everything is a scam because it's illiquid and volatile.

Ok. Sorry. I thought you were getting at my point. My point was nothing to do with crypto specifically - just that the inability to regulate black markets does not prove an impossibility to regulate "normal" ones.

Ok. Sorry. I thought you were getting at my point. My point was nothing to do with crypto specifically - just that the inability to regulate black markets does not prove an impossibility to regulate "normal" ones.

Normal markets could be faultlessly regulated in future, but I have this odd feeling large MNCs and governments will want backdoors for themselves so they can route around it. "Rules for thee, but not for me!"

There is an easy fix for black markets, we just need more old people to pass away before laws/regulations make sense for modern problems in modern times - apart from 3D printing guns, maybe. Can't see how that can be halted. Even if every 3D printer manufacturer kowtowed towards "spotting" the mechanisms being built somebody else would jailbreak the device and we're back in the position where the people who want it will get it.

Jaysus that's veering off-topic. Must be high on the (hopefully temporary) green dildos today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Normal markets could be faultlessly regulated in future, but I have this odd feeling large MNCs and governments will want backdoors for themselves so they can route around it. "Rules for thee, but not for me!"

I work with regulators, care to explain how?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I work with regulators, care to explain how?

Surely tracing/notarising everything on chain would leave no way to fudge numbers (besides the inevitable backdoors)? You'd know more than me so feel free to call bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Goldman Sachs have officially recognised Bitcoin as a new asset class. I wonder who was behind all the OTC purchases we witnessed while this dip happened??

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-is-officially-a-new-asset-class-goldman-sachs-103540636.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1396837884787924998

Nearly $2 billion in total gone onto binance across multiple transactions.

Playing devils advocate, fakeout?
    Why would someone with that buying power move it now and not yesterday after the price was driven down?

Possibly they want to send people into a buying frenzy only to dump and then buy back in.
    I saw lots of large buys being out on and taken off after 10 seconds yesterday. Possibly looking to trick bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

seannash wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate, fakeout?
    Why would someone with that buying power move it now and not yesterday after the price was driven down?

Possibly they want to send people into a buying frenzy only to dump and then buy back in.
    I saw lots of large buys being out on and taken off after 10 seconds yesterday. Possibly looking to trick bots.

Because they knew about the Goldman Sachs announcement ahead of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

cnocbui wrote: »
    Because they knew about the Goldman Sachs announcement ahead of time?

Right, but its moved to an exchange now and the news is out. Not buying yet for some reason. Normally you would buy before the news comes out if you knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Badly fukt wrote: »

In March, Dalio warned of the possibility that the U.S. government could ban bitcoin as it did with gold during the 1930s if the cryptocurrency is seen as a competitive threat to Treasury bonds.

Fairly sure it was Yanet Yellen who banned the gold too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

why put 2 billion tether in a wallet at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

FFVII wrote: »
    why put 2 billion tether in a wallet at all?

Safer than an exchange?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

When Musk was on SNL, he joked that Doge is a hustle.

After that, people said Musk admitted on SNL that Doge is a con, and Doge crashed.

So, a joke currency crashes, because people do not get a joke about the joke currency. Which is, in itself, super funny.

When Musk was on SNL, he joked that Doge is a hustle.

After that, people said Musk admitted on SNL that Doge is a con, and Doge crashed.

So, a joke currency crashes, because people do not get a joke about the joke currency. Which is, in itself, super funny.

See: anything Jerome Powell has said since January 1st, and it's reinterpretation by the mainstream media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Who thinks Tommycoin will be the next big one :)

https://www.tommycoin.ie/
    Is this the real deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is this the real deal?

If you have to ask that stay away from the markets

The other poster can imagine that he could set up a company going around dealing heroin tomorrow and list it on the NYSE if he wants. Heroin now - not any other opioid or similar. You appeared to be a bit more on the ball though.

God bless the Dunning-Kruger effect. Endless entertainment.

Heroin (diamorphine) is produced in quantity in Ireland - as is Ketamine and a number of other controlled substances. BAYRY:OTCMKTS or BAYN:ETR for the existing listings of the actual brand holder, and is produced under license by numerous 3rd parties.

I also loved how shifted the goalpost from 'selling' heroin to 'dealing' heroin when you were caught out :D
    How many companies listed on the Irish Stock Exchange sell heroin?

God bless the Dunning-Kruger effect. Endless entertainment.

Heroin (diamorphine) is produced in quantity in Ireland - as is Ketamine and a number of other controlled substances. BAYRY:OTCMKTS or BAYN:ETR for the existing listings of the actual brand holder, and is produced under license by numerous 3rd parties.

I also loved how shifted the goalpost from 'selling' heroin to 'dealing' heroin when you were caught out :D

shifting goalposts. lol

Says the lad that thinks anyone can set up a business dealing smack and list it then on the NYSE :pac:

No regulations :pac:

Is this the real deal?

To be honest, I'd 100% throw €20 at it out of pure love for the man and his contribution to Irish comedy - but I don't think he'll end up realising a token that converts to fiat as he'd end up having to deal with all sorts of onerous KYC **** and get even more hassle from Revenue.

Literally a bit of fun - 'doin' a bit of crypto are ye lads?'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To be honest, I'd 100% throw €20 at it out of pure love for the man and his contribution to Irish comedy - but I don't think he'll end up realising a token that converts to fiat as he'd end up having to deal with all sorts of onerous KYC **** and get even more hassle from Revenue.

Literally a bit of fun - 'doin' a bit of crypto are ye lads?'

Is it actually him that set it up? I assumed it was someone else. Possibly as a joke.

A positive tweet from Musk gives the market a nice little pump.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1396914548167233537?s=20

• Advertisement

Is it actually him that set it up? I assumed it was someone else. Possibly as a joke.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tommycoin/

image.png

Advertisement