Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Comments

If you believe bitcoin will hit 200k etc etc. you've nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Anyone had any interest in Dfinity's ICP that launched today?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

ConseyMan wrote: »
    Ugghhh, January 2018 flash backs..................

Me too, so I sold 40% of my ETH at $4,145 price point today. If I'm right I will buy back in at a lower price, if I'm wrong I still made a decent amount of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConseyMan

I've mentioned it before
    But if you go to the ethereum thread it begins in December 2017, and you can read everyones reaction, Bitcoins crash, a dead cat bounce while Ethereum goes to ATH. Then everything crashes. It's quite a read knowing what we know now.
    And if you go to the original 'is anyone else getting excited, that starts in 2019 at the bottom of the market, and there are a number of lads who spot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ConseyMan wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before
    But if you go to the ethereum thread it begins in December 2017, and you can read everyones reaction, Bitcoins crash, a dead cat bounce while Ethereum goes to ATH. Then everything crashes. It's quite a read knowing what we know now.
    And if you go to the original 'is anyone else getting excited, that starts in 2019 at the bottom of the market, and there are a number of lads who spot it.

Im more interested in knowing if bitcoin was being moved off exchanges back then. For me thats the most telling sign. According to reports the amount of bitcoin on exchanges is dropping by the day which should give confidence that it cant keep dropping for too long. Not long ago it dropped to 43k amd there wasn't any talk of the run being over. Not sure what has changed since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Curious what's been plummeting for you guys? My crypto portfolio is down 1.3% today and I have most of the large cap ones, even my smaller holdings are only down max 7/8% for the day, some are up. Not sure what the fear is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Mark Zuckerburg just posted a photo on Facebook of his goats which are named named Bitcoin and Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConseyMan

Thats FUD, he's clearly shilling Goatcoin, or is it Safegoat, no moongoat. O was it goatmoon. One of them anyway. He wants host SNL too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think I'm near a buy point now.

XLM steller "am I bothered". :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Curious what's been plummeting for you guys? My crypto portfolio is down 1.3% today and I have most of the large cap ones, even my smaller holdings are only down max 7/8% for the day, some are up. Not sure what the fear is about?

I don't think it's fear but it might be opportunity.

I still reckon we haven't seen the bottom of this correction yet. That's not something to fear, it's something to be prepared for.

That doesn't mean there's no profits to be made in the mean time, but taking profits and setting stop losses might be prudent.

• Advertisement

I think it's the opposite to pump and dump.

I think there will be a buy back.

Dump then other people sell then you buy back lower.

All Taking a dive now.

That some crash.

I feel like this would be much easier to put a solid buy/sell strategy in place if it wasn't for the large gas fees.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    All Taking a dive now.

I'm out at 50% of my ETH gone, very happy with how much I got for it.
    I'm now back at a point where it's fun to watch what I have go up and down.

I was above what I was comfortable to lose.
    I'll also keep an eye out to see if I can get the ETH back at discount.

harmless wrote: »
    I'm out at 50% of my ETH gone, very happy with how much I got for it.
    I'm now back at a point where it's fun to watch what I have go up and down.

I was above what I was comfortable to lose.
    I'll also keep an eye out to see if I can get the ETH back at discount.

Yeah a good to look out to buy.

But some crash for others.
    That's how it goes I guess.

Waiting to buy. :)

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Yeah a good to look out to buy.

But some crash for others.
    That's how it goes I guess.

Waiting to buy. :)

If it continues to rise at least I make some more off of what I still hold.
    I'm just trying to minimise risk. (not that initial my investment was much)

[url] https://finance.yahoo.com/cryptocurrencies/[/url]
    Near all red as wear the markets and gold.

VET and MATIC are fairly prominent in my own PF. Both of them took a dive yesterday evening for a spell. I wasn't the slightest bit fearful though, just another day in crypto paradise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Anyone hold onto their FEG?? I sold at previous ATH and went to buy back in after the weekend dip, but apparently FEG didn't get the memo! Been pumping since Friday apprently.

My coins would have been worth a quarter million this morning if I had held on to them. Oh well! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Doge just jumping up 20% in ten minutes, totally normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

ShaneU wrote: »

I wish I was dumb enough to be able to time the Doge market correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

ShaneU wrote: »

Elon tweeted about Tesla accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

cc87 wrote: »
    Elon tweeted about Tesla accepting it.

well that explains it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1392030108274159619

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

22hrs left on that poll, worth a punt of a few hundred euro in 22 hours! If the results are YES (which they will be) its off to the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Has anybody heard of this loophole that makes it possible to not pay CGT on Crypto? Saw this on reddit.
    Don't sell; spend P2P. OR: deposit in a service like NEXO/BLOCKFI, take an EUR loan with your crypto as collateral (they send you EUR to your bank via IBAN transfer), then instantly press to pay back the loan (with your crypto equivalent of what you borrowed + minuscule %) and withdraw your crypto back to your wallet.

"Selling" implies paying capital gains, but taking a loan and repaying it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Rob2D wrote: »
    I wish I was dumb enough to be able to time the Doge market correctly.

Isn't Shiba Inu now barking louder than Dogecoin?

I can't keep track :-)

mossy95 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of this loophole that makes it possible to not pay CGT on Crypto? Saw this on reddit.

The first one is clearly incorrect. If you "spend P2P" you are disposing of your holdings and CGT is due.

The explanation of the second one is bit convoluted, but if I get it right it is saying: borrow euros and instantly pay back the loan with the crypto equivalent amount. In that case it is the same thing: when you are sending your crypto to the lending service to pay back your loan you are disposing of that crypto and thus CGT is due.

In short: what triggers CGT is not just *selling* an asset, it is more generally *disposing of* an asset (which includes selling but also transferring the asset to a third party).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What you exchange crypto for ANYTHING, another crypto, fiat money, a weird loan, ANYTHING, it is CGT liable.

I'm only new to this game and I understand that any profit I take, in any way, is CGT liable under the usual rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

What you exchange crypto for ANYTHING, another crypto, fiat money, a weird loan, ANYTHING, it is CGT liable.

I'm only new to this game and I understand that any profit I take, in any way, is CGT liable under the usual rules.

I can't see why you'd be liable for CGT if you simply use your crypto as collateral for a loan where you get your full crypto back after all repayments have been made

• Advertisement

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    I can't see why you'd be liable for CGT if you simply use your crypto as collateral for a loan where you get your full crypto back after all repayments have been made

Yes if the crypto is just used as a collateral, there is no CGT due because it is not being disposed of (if it comes to a point whereby the lender has to liquidate the collateral because of missed payments or a margin call which wasn't met though, then CGT is due because it becomes a disposal).

Using existing assets as loan collaterals is actually common practise amongst wealthy people to release equity from those assets without triggering CGT (of course this is more deferral than avoidance and CGT is still be due one day or another when assets are being disposed of).

However the post from @mossy95 was referring to using crypto to pay back a loan. In that case the crypto is being disposed of and CGT is due.

Advertisement