Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

To be honest it stinks of market manipulation from him which he has form for. There's no real consequence either for him as it's not regulated so he can continue to send a few tweets and spook/calm the market to suit his needs. He's really turning into a dislikeable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

blackwave wrote: »
    To be honest it stinks of market manipulation from him which he has form for. There's no real consequence either for him as it's not regulated so he can continue to send a few tweets and spook/calm the market to suit his needs. He's really turning into a dislikeable character.

Hes like an awkward child making jokes getting a good initial reaction but not knowing when they've crossed the line and to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I moved around some funds yesterday and staked $4k worth of CRO to get their Jade Green card. My god have mercy on my soul.

Of all the coins I've owned since last summer, CRO has by far performed the worst, most others have gone 5x, but CRO I've since sold all at not much more than breakeven. Crypto.com phucked about with cro changing the staking overnight from 16% to 6%, totally killed it for me.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Of all the coins I've owned since last summer, CRO has by far performed the worst, most others have gone 5x, but CRO I've since sold all at not much more than breakeven. Crypto.com phucked about with cro changing the staking overnight from 16% to 6%, totally killed it for me.

Yeah, I'm lucky that I'm grandfathered in for the indigo visa with only 10k CRO staked. Koinly tells me it's my worst performing crypto at -18% where BTC and ETH are +75 and +227% in the current dip. I treat it as a utility token that gives me some decent benefits. I'd have traded it for another better performing crypto otherwise.

BTT is starting to climb nicely. Very happy with its recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

blackwave wrote: »

Indeed, he can move an entire market up or down with arbitrary tweets and memes, demonstrates how nuts the market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

David McWilliams discusses Bitcoin in his last 2 podcasts If it is of interest to anyone here.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2s4NRgScPt27UY2Q4OjPtP?si=62xRM7mjRlO_uXM7Ll54tg&utm_source=copy-link

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

bosco12345 wrote: »
    David McWilliams discusses Bitcoin in his last 2 podcasts If it is of interest to anyone here.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2s4NRgScPt27UY2Q4OjPtP?si=62xRM7mjRlO_uXM7Ll54tg&utm_source=copy-link

The guest, a self proclaimed 'expert', got so many basic facts wrong. Hard to take seriously. He claimed that all bitcoin will be mined by 2040. He's off by a 100 years. Said there's 11 million bitcoin in circulation. Sounds like he quickly read Wikipedia before the podcast, but not very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The guest, a self proclaimed 'expert', got so many basic facts wrong. Hard to take seriously. He claimed that all bitcoin will be mined by 2040. He's off by a 100 years. Said there's 11 million bitcoin in circulation. Sounds like he quickly read Wikipedia before the podcast, but not very well.

Thanks, I didn’t expect much from McWilliams on this - this confirms my time will be better used reading or listening to something else.

Anyone who has just been involved with crypto for a little while (let alone an “expert”) wouldn’t make the obvious mistakes you are mentioning. Sadly some people who don’t know about it and just want to learn might take it for gospel.

Btw was the general tone of the discussion rather positive or negative? (McWilliams being in favour of MMT type of fiscal and monetary policies, I am assuming he is not too fond of hard assets which allow individuals to somewhat shield themselves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I have my ETH staked which locks it in until 2.0 but I plan on holding long term so it's a no brainer for me with the 6-8% interest on the stake.

20%+ as a validator.

Where you stake? Interest paid how?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

bosco12345 wrote: »

Not in the slightest bit interested, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Another 1,000,000 sats acquired at $38,000 ish.

It’s that simple.

Pardon the noob question, but are sats an actual separate currency to btc or is it just a description of the tiny fraction of btc they are worth? Like can someone go out and buy sats or do you just buy btc?

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Pardon the noob question, but are sats an actual separate currency to btc or is it just a description of the tiny fraction of btc they are worth? Like can someone go out and buy sats or do you just buy btc?

"Satoshi" https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/satoshi.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Badly fukt wrote: »

Sorry, i'm just find it confusing when people would refer to btc as sats, I know its because of the decimal places. So sats is just a word to describe a tiny fraction of btc. So btc/sats are the exact same thing, no difference?

In my fiat based thinking, I thought it would be the equivalent of going into a bank and buying 100 cent coins instead of buying a 1 euro coin. Sorry if i'm not making any sense.

BTW thanks for the reply BF

Sorry, i'm just find it confusing when people would refer to btc as sats, I know its because of the decimal places. So sats is just a word to describe a tiny fraction of btc. So btc/sats are the exact same thing, no difference?

In my fiat based thinking, I thought it would be the equivalent of going into a bank and buying 100 cent coins instead of buying a 1 euro coin. Sorry if i'm not making any sense.

Buying a small fraction of a bitcoin is referred to as stacking sats. Most of us are not buying bitcoin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

there's 100,000,000 sats in a bitcoin. so your fiat based thinking is kind of correct. the same way you wouldn't say you found one one hundredth of a euro on the footpath. you'd say you found 1 cent. brandon bought 1,000,000 sats instead of saying one one hundredth of a bitcoin. some people just say how much they bought in euro and most people just don't bother announcing it every time they buy.

Musk is now shilling CUMROCKET, it's up 300%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Badly fukt wrote: »
    Musk is now shilling CUMROCKET, it's up 300%

Lol

Timmaay wrote: »

Totally agree with you. The main reason I got it is not speculation. There's no bank that will give me 3% cashback on purchases. I do not expect crazy returns like other crypto. I'd love if the price didn't move at all. Although truth be told, I am bullish on it. It has a lot of issues and once it solves these issues, I think it could go up. It's not even available in the US yet.

• Advertisement

If you are talking about Donal O'Mahony, I wouldn't let this mistake tarnish your view of him. He knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

If you are talking about Donal O'Mahony, I wouldn't let this mistake tarnish your view of him. He knows his stuff.

Knows his stuff on what though, finance? How could he get those basic details wrong, you can easily see the circulating BTC on Coingecko or any price index site

McWilliams would be better off expanding his search and getting someone like Antonopoulos on that actually know the topic inside out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Knows his stuff on what though, finance? How could he get those basic details wrong, you can easily see the circulating BTC on Coingecko or any price index site

McWilliams would be better off expanding his search and getting someone like Antonopoulos on that actually know the topic inside out

I'm sure the vast majority of people listening to a mcwilliams podcast don't know enough to give a $hite.

I'm sure the vast majority of people listening to a mcwilliams podcast don't know enough to give a $hite.

Thing is, they are given the impression that they are listening to expert and factual analysis.

McWilliams has a responsibility towards them.

HGVRHKYY wrote: »

Antonopoulos knows his stuff and is able to explain things clearly to beginners. But while he is a quality speaker personally I think if you get someone like him you also need to bring on a Bitcoin sceptic (to balance him out as he is rather one-sided).

A Lyn Alden or a Grant Williams would be more suitable as single guests IMO (they are not nearly as technical as Antonopoulos, but both have rather balanced views on crypto and also great knowledge of the financial system and thus understanding of how crypto relates to it, which might be more suitable given the audience).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's fine suggesting balancing a view by including a bitcoin skeptic, but in March, bitcoin was the best performing asset of the decade.
    After its recent surge to $60,000, Bitcoin has become the best performing asset class of the decade with an annualized return of 230%, data shows.
    a laptop computer sitting on top of a wooden table © Provided by Benzinga
    Since 2011, Bitcoin’s cumulative gains have exceeded 20,000,000%, far outpacing the cumulative gains of the Nasdaq 100 and US Large Caps, which recorded returns of 541% and 282%, respectively.

On an annualized scale, Bitcoin returned 230% - 10x higher than the Nasdaq 100, which was the second-best performing asset class.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/bitcoin-becomes-best-performing-asset-of-the-decade-returning-ten-times-more-than-nasdaq-100/ar-BB1eDWIA

Even with the recent pullback and going on current levels, it's performance is still spectacular.

Bitcoin has outperformed every single one of it's skeptics, and there were plenty of them 5 years ago. Imagine some poor sod who was put off buying a few bitcoin at $450 because of how persuasive one of the many skeptics was.

I remember some of my first posts were skeptical, based on the energy consumption, and then I realized bitcoin didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's fine suggesting balancing a view by including a bitcoin skeptic, but in March, bitcoin was the best performing asset of the decade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/bitcoin-becomes-best-performing-asset-of-the-decade-returning-ten-times-more-than-nasdaq-100/ar-BB1eDWIA

Even with the recent pullback and going on current levels, it's performance is still spectacular.

Bitcoin has outperformed every single one of it's skeptics, and there were plenty of them 5 years ago. Imagine some poor sod who was put off buying a few bitcoin at $450 because of how persuasive one of the many skeptics was.

I remember some of my first posts were skeptical, based on the energy consumption, and then I realized bitcoin didn't care.

And then you think of the likes of Kevin Scumbag O'Leary who was publicly bullish on BTC years back, only to completely flip and actively denounce and talk **** about it for years like it was personal for him, and then this year comes out and says he'd actually bought some and was bullish last year. I'd say it's highly likely even Peter Schiff owns at least some BTC as a speculative bet in case he is wrong - he'd be stupid not to as he clearly is wrong - but just maintains the sceptic position since it's getting him attention and revenue from interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cryptcrapto

I also was a bit disappointed by that guest on the Tuesday podcast. When I saw McWilliams initial tweet seeking someone to talk to I was quite interested to see who he would get since his guests on other issues are usually excellent. Then he just tapped up a Trinity colleague who got several facts wrong and didn't even say if he was holding any cryptos himself. However, even he was much more informative than the Thursday guest who really didn't say anything of interest apart from telling us that when she writes stories about cryptos she gets lots of comments.

Listening to McWilliams himself I get the impression that he is quite torn on cryptos. On the one hand he wants to be an advocate of a disruptive technology that is being spearheaded by young people and pushing back against conventional monetary policy and financial institutions. On the other hand some part of him seems to fear that the whole thing is akin to tulip-mania and he doesn't want to be associated with it when it all goes tits up.

cnocbui wrote: »

What I had in mind wasn’t really speculative opinions on future price action. More how you explain what Bitcoin is, its future, its social impact, and relationships with the financial system (I could be wrong but I am assuming this more what McWilliams’ audience is after).

Antonopoulos is a maximalist who more or less wants Bitcoin to become the new global currency which destroys central banks. No issue with him holding this view, but even within the crypto community this isn’t consensual. Again he knows his stuff very well and is good at explaining things, but IMO if one should pick a single person to introduce an audience to crypto and Bitcoin, he probably isn’t the best one.

In the people I mentioned, Lyn Alden is actually positive as well in terms of future price action, but she is also able to be critical and argue on potential concerns and bear cases; and to put Bitcoin is perspective with the current state of the financial system and its challenges in an emotionless and analytical way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

$1000+ green candle incoming

Advertisement