Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

I have to laugh at the people trying to make a laugh of the Trinity Professor.

The dude was writing books on electronic payments systems 20 years ago.

Even I know that himself (and one of his students) were rumoured to be the originator of Bitcoin due to his work in that general field.

he seemed to be knowledgeable about blockchain and the tech and other cryptos. to be honest he sounded like someone who thinks crypto has potential to change the world but he was asked on the podcast to talk about bitcoin and doesn't give 2 ****s about bitcoin.

Huge amount of cringe highlights from the Bitcoin Miami 2021 fiasco. Dogecoin stage invasion, coked up Saylor, bitconnect Keiser, the El Salvador announcement flop.

What a disaster for crypto in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Your loaf of bread is ten, no twenty, no five, no two bits.

Now please wait twenty minutes while we update the ledgers.

God people are unbelievably gullible.

The entire things a pump and dump scam

"Your house is worth €20k....€200k....€500k...no wait...€300k...oh....€600k"

"Where's this money coming from? Where did it go when it dropped?"

"Shhhhhh, it's totally not being printed for the benefit of billionaires to prop up a property ponzi"

"God people are unbelievably gullible. The entire thing's a pump and dump scam"

Not a fan of BTC myself but the parallels are clear. Scarce asset, the already-rich buy more early to profit from it later. Despite my dislike of it (and the property ponzi) it's easy to see why people want a scarce thing versus holding their money in an account and essentially loaning "their" money to a bank which the bank is using to... Buy property. And Bitcoin. When an absolute sh!tshow of a backwards company like JP Morgan is already balls deep in crypto after spending half a decade trying to demean and devalue it, it doesn't make you think "Wait a seconnnnnd..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

Huge amount of cringe highlights from the Bitcoin Miami 2021 fiasco. Dogecoin stage invasion, coked up Saylor, bitconnect Keiser, the El Salvador announcement flop.

That "thing" made me bearish on society...nevermind crypto.

The videos to come out of there were genuinely embarrassing, and completely made a mockery of serious cryptocurrency investors (if there's such thing).

If you haven't seen all of the above clips^, heres the most important two.

https://youtu.be/3p3OHyuB2Ig - Dogecoin Degenerate.

https://twitter.com/titodurriz/status/1400997001861296129?s=20 - Coked Up Crypto God.

Seriously though, I've been beyond bearish on crypto for some time now...but no question, this tops it. Un-fn-believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dougal0691 wrote: »
    he seemed to be knowledgeable about blockchain and the tech and other cryptos. to be honest he sounded like someone who thinks crypto has potential to change the world but he was asked on the podcast to talk about bitcoin and doesn't give 2 ****s about bitcoin.

But is that not useful information to the general public as well? That someone who would be considered an expert in the general area isn't that interested in it?

For example, it is well known that Warren Buffet doesn't normally invest in gold as part of his investment philosophy in general. It doesn't mean he is right and it doesn't mean you have to listen to him but it is good to hear the likes of that rather than just hearing "gold gold gold buy gold" all the time. Because it reminds you that there might be another angle.

• Advertisement

...it is good to hear the likes of that rather than just hearing "gold gold gold buy gold" all the time. Because it reminds you that there might be another angle.

Bitcoin maxis don't seem to like it these days as the market has divorced it's philosophy from it's utility but Bitcoin was built on the foundation of questioning everything. It's the entire foundation of philosophy since ancient Greece, the foundation of non-crony capitalism and the foundation of open source software. Always question everything even if it doesn't seem to be in your best interests. How else do people learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭crushproof

That "thing" made me bearish on society...nevermind crypto.

The videos to come out of there were genuinely embarrassing, and completely made a mockery of serious cryptocurrency investors (if there's such thing).

If you haven't seen all of the above clips^, heres the most important two.

https://youtu.be/3p3OHyuB2Ig - Dogecoin Degenerate.

https://twitter.com/titodurriz/status/1400997001861296129?s=20 - Coked Up Crypto God.

Seriously though, I've been beyond bearish on crypto for some time now...but no question, this tops it. Un-fn-believable.

Hahaha oh man, Max Keiser! Seems like the event was full of absolute idiots. What an embarrassing event and horrific PR for cryptocurrencies.

Looks more like AN April fools event

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

But is that not useful information to the general public as well? That someone who would be considered an expert in the general area isn't that interested in it?

For example, it is well known that Warren Buffet doesn't normally invest in gold as part of his investment philosophy in general. It doesn't mean he is right and it doesn't mean you have to listen to him but it is good to hear the likes of that rather than just hearing "gold gold gold buy gold" all the time. Because it reminds you that there might be another angle.

You should take Buffet with a pinch of salt. I remember him saying he didn't invest in things he didn't understand as the reason he didn't invest in Amazon or Apple. Now Apple makes up the majority of his holdings. He also dumped stock last year after a 20% fall at the very bottom; such as $16.3 M of Bancorp at it's absolute bottom price for a two year period for $35.09. Current price is $60. Last year he, and I'll admit he wasn't the only billionaire doing it, warned of an inevitable stock market crash due to the pandemic, which also didn't happen.

Read some tweet that btc bring legal tender makes it a foreign currency which means its exempt from cgt. Any truth to that

Read some tweet that btc bring legal tender makes it a foreign currency which means its exempt from cgt. Any truth to that

Now that would be nice

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You should take Buffet with a pinch of salt. I remember him saying he didn't invest in things he didn't understand as the reason he didn't invest in Amazon or Apple. Now Apple makes up the majority of his holdings. He also dumped stock last year after a 20% fall at the very bottom; such as $16.3 M of Bancorp at it's absolute bottom price for a two year period for $35.09. Current price is $60. Last year he, and I'll admit he wasn't the only billionaire doing it, warned of an inevitable stock market crash due to the pandemic, which also didn't happen.

Well he obviously isn't as good or knowledgeable an investor as a lot of the posters on here, but he has somehow managed to keep a roof over his head and shoes on his kids feet.

Under Section 28 capital gains tax is charged in respect of chargeable gains accruing to a person on the disposal of assets. Under Section 532 any currency other than the euro is an asset for the purposes of capital gains tax.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-19/19-01-14a.pdf

Tweet that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

I probably should have said he sounds like he doesn't give 2 ****s about it as an investment or the speculative nature of it (I have no clue whether he does or not, just the impression I got). he's a computer scientist, the hard cap and circulating supply has little to do with how the technology works.

A crypto investor might have been a better choice of guest as they would have a view on the financial end of it and know enough to explain the technology behind it in a basic way.

Well he obviously isn't as good or knowledgeable an investor as a lot of the posters on here, but he has somehow managed to keep a roof over his head and shoes on his kids feet.

I said pinch of salt, not disregard him because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He is a fount of wisdom, but I also think investors need to think for themselves, not just rely on the prognostications of oracles and supposedly wise men. To quote Grindle: 'always question everything'.

I said pinch of salt, not disregard him because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He is a fount of wisdom, but I also think investors need to think for themselves, not just rely on the prognostications of oracles and supposedly wise men. To quote Grindle: 'always question everything'.

You might note that I said in my post

... It doesn't mean he is right and it doesn't mean you have to listen to him ...

I'm definitely biased as I knew him a decade ago. He's authored dozens of papers. Mentored many more dozens of papers, a lot of them literally on bitcoin and cryptos. He's possibly the most knowledgeable person on the space I've ever come across. I've no doubt in my mind that, like any good academic, he'd acknowledge his mistake and correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yep there is a bit of a legend about foreign currencies supposedly not triggering CGT.

Having said that the CGT regime isn’t exactly the same for currencies than for assets. For exemple I believe that a business taking payments in foreign currencies has some sort of CGT exemption.

But for the average persons on this thread, I am not sure it would make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

How do you know he was coked up, seemed like his usual self to me from what I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I think Buffet is past it, he's on the wind down and likely doesn't care about it all as much as he once did, he's openly admitted he doesn't know much about technology and we're long at the point where funds need to be knowledgeable on tech to remain competitive, for example Cathy Wood's Ark fund runs with that mindset and mostly concentrates on new tech

If apple does start offering a BTC/crypto exchange through their payment app, or especially if they actually bought some BTC, it would be ironic since Buffet has talked **** about BTC and he's really reliant on apple

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    ...it would be ironic since Buffet has talked **** about BTC and he's really reliant on apple

He used to talk a lot of sh!t about Apple, he didn't understand the transition to digital at all. He bought in when it was about $25 a share I think? After watching it soar from $5 (all the way up from $0.40). He's a very smart investor when thinking of the long tail which is his business, he's verifiably awful at multiple times at spotting good start-ups or game-changers. He doesn't deserve crypto right now but Berkshire will buy it at some stage, once it's settled and doling out regular staking dividends.

• Advertisement

Good thread on the possible side-effects of El-Salvador actually makes Bitcoin legal tender: https://twitter.com/caitlinlong_/status/1401334421773504517?s=21

To summarise, in many countries this could greatly change the regulatory framework under which banks and companies can transact with and hold Bitcoin, and make it much easier from them (as legally Bitcoin to change from being classified as an intangible asset to being classified as a foreign currency.

grindle wrote: »
    He used to talk a lot of sh!t about Apple, he didn't understand the transition to digital at all. He bought in when it was about $25 a share I think? After watching it soar from $5 (all the way up from $0.40). He's a very smart investor when thinking of the long tail which is his business, he's verifiably awful at multiple times at spotting good start-ups or game-changers. He doesn't deserve crypto right now but Berkshire will buy it at some stage, once it's settled and doling out regular staking dividends.

Buffet didn't buy any Apple stock until 2016.
    According to an SEC filing made public on May 15, 2016, Berkshire Hathaway acquired 9,811,747 shares of Apple at a price of $108.99. With Monday’s closing price of $279.86, the stock has appreciated by 156.77%.

Since that initial stake, the investing conglomerate has purchased an additional 239,026,932 shares of the iPhone maker.
    https://www.ccn.com/heres-how-much-warren-buffett-has-made-off-apple-aapl-stock/

Jesus christ, even more of a f@cking idiot than I imagined, yet people lionise him

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Your loaf of bread is ten, no twenty, no five, no two bits.

Now please wait twenty minutes while we update the ledgers.

God people are unbelievably gullible.

The entire things a pump and dump scam

Ever heard of lightning/ layer 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Ever heard of lightning/ layer 2?

In fairness to nocoiners, oftentimes they simply haven't heard of it. What really písses me off are <insert crypto project> fanboys conveniently forgetting that it is a live project - and going on about the superiority of their project for micro-payments....including projects that I otherwise think have something to offer.

The toxicity is sickening at the best of times.

Seems like another Latin American country may be interested in going down the bitcoin route....

https://twitter.com/MartyBent/status/1401755916576428036?s=20

Seems like another Latin American country may be interested in going down the bitcoin route....

https://twitter.com/MartyBent/status/1401755916576428036?s=20

When I heard the El Salvador news I thought one significant aspect (besides the precedent it sets and possible side effect of formally making BTC a foreign currency elsewhere) could be contagion to other Latin American countries which have dodgy currencies or have to use the dollar as their currency. For sur it will be very interesting to watch, although I think their will be a lot of pushback.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

While on a month long sabbatical I would occasionally browse here and was deeply touched to see many posters referring to me, I only wish I was here to offer some comfort as you lost your ass in the bear crash, but worry no more Dirk is back and ready to make you serious money.
    The recent mini bear market has given you the glorious opportunity to fill your bags with what will be the next big thing in crypto as it starts to gain mainstream acceptance, as astute investors here know already, this is privacy.
    The recent HSE hack will have brought this to the attention of the public, they will be demanding their record are kept safe and private, well the NHS in the UK is already making moves to ensure this type of hack will not be a problem over there.
    https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/data-collections-and-data-sets/data-collections/general-practice-data-for-planning-and-research/advice-for-the-public
    NHS has begun the process of collecting GP data so it can be provided to researchers securely and confidentially.
    If you have see my previous post from months ago you will know Dirk has been well ahead of this, trying to drag some of you here to the land of massive gains, there are many doubters, but they can only remain ignorant for so long before they accept that Dirk was right all along and only wanted to gift us a gem with 100x in the future.
    Here we have confirmation they are being used by the UK gov from the Oasis COO back in early May, down the bottom.
    rose.jpg
    and now we see the NHS has begun the process of collecting GP data so it can be provided to researchers securely and confidentially.

Imagine if there was a some sort of crypto project which would allow the secure and confidential sharing of data sets.
    Imagine if there was a crypto project which comprised a decentralised marketplace for entities to sell access to these data sets without having to disclose the data within the data sets.
    Imagine a crypto project which will allow the NFT asset tokenization of datasets so that these datasets can be easily deployed as tokens.
    Imagine a crypto project which was confirmed to be SEC & GDPR compliant.
    Imagine a crypto project which was confirmed to be working with governments.
    Imagine no more.
    That crypto is ROSE and if you not filling bags at this deep discount don’t say you did not know about it when it rockets in price.
    So much more has happened in the last month to confirm to me ROSE is going to be huge, DYOR and see for yourself

grindle wrote: »
    Jesus christ, even more of a f@cking idiot than I imagined, yet people lionise him

He didn't see the value in Amazon either. Someone else at Berkshire H. cottoned on to that one and made the investment. Probably twisted his arm on Apple too.

I don't lionise him and hes far from stupid, he's got some good things to say, but I think his areas of expertise ceased to be as important as they were in the past, around the 80's. He could and should have retired 20 years ago. I simply can't comprehend why anyone over 60 who has billions under their belt, stays busy trying to make as many more billions as they can, instead of blowing $500 M on a superyacht and spending the rest of their days cruising the whole world and living it up.

Most of these mean rich men even proudly proclaim they will ensure their own children get almost nothing and they will give it all away.

The pointlessness of mega wealth.

I simply can't comprehend why anyone over 60 who has billions under their belt, stays busy trying to make as many more billions as they can
    The pointlessness of mega wealth.

It's an illness. If these people were focused on anything else in life to the same degree we'd consider it a disability, but because it's money the market adores them.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you guys are on about. My mum came out of retirement twice as a nurse because of the boredom. I thought Covid-19 had shown people that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Advertisement