Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

WTF!

ZL03R5h.png

(BTC/Eur, 15min bars)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

bfa1509 wrote: »
    WTF!

ZL03R5h.png

(BTC/Eur, 15min bars)

Spot orders???? At 25k prob a load of them filled quick and gave a boost back up???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Spot orders???? At 25k prob a load of them filled quick and gave a boost back up???

That's euro in the graph but same point stands waiting for a dip below 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

OEP wrote: »
    What do you mean?

For all models and predictions for this cycle which exceed a minimum of $100k to be invalidated so badly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    For all models and predictions for this cycle which exceed a minimum of $100k to be invalidated so badly

Those models and predictions are no better than random guesses, always has been the case with bitcoin models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Buying a few grand of that Dogecoin on Revolut for sheets and gigglez.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭shawki

Piehead wrote: »

Buy what you want but don’t use Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Piehead wrote: »

Don't use Revolut for serious investing in crypto. It's not owned by you separately but pooled with other investors. No wallet address. Grand for a little dabble but not anything more. From their own website:

The cryptocurrency we buy for you is held in a ‘virtual account’ that also holds cryptocurrencies for other Revolut customers. You will not have a separate cryptocurrency account. You can use the Revolut app to see the amount of cryptocurrency we’re holding for you.

There won’t be any contractual relationship between you and our partnered cryptocurrency exchanges or any sub-custodian we appoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Jackben75 wrote: »
    delusional. BTC isn't going away, what we are experiencing is a whole lot of FUD. China banning mining is a non issue, the miners will move and are moving as we speak. As for banks banning crypto transactions, story is done to death, ultimately they may feel a little more uncomfortable with the scenario but any ban won't succeed. The market will bounce back. As for 100 bucks btc, not a chance, i would be surprised if it went below 20k. Hold firm people. Take a break and forget about it for a while. Your mental health will thank you.

You're getting very emotional. Sound like you lack conviction and invested more than you can afford to lose.

I never claimed BTC would hit 100 bucks. Seems you're confusing me with another poster. 20k is very likely and 10k is possible when you look at long-term charts and the previous bear markets. Both are well above the 2018 nadir.

If someone was genuinely bullish on cryptocurrencies then they would welcome a severe bear market to accumulate more.

I'll start DCA at below 20k, and go all in if hits sub 10k.

I only have house money in crypto at this point. I'll benefit either way the market trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

any views on Coinbase public listing ? , is it a solid proxy for bitcoin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Coincided with the top of the market.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't use Revolut for serious investing in crypto. It's not owned by you separately but pooled with other investors. No wallet address. Grand for a little dabble but not anything more. From their own website:

The cryptocurrency we buy for you is held in a ‘virtual account’ that also holds cryptocurrencies for other Revolut customers. You will not have a separate cryptocurrency account. You can use the Revolut app to see the amount of cryptocurrency we’re holding for you.

There won’t be any contractual relationship between you and our partnered cryptocurrency exchanges or any sub-custodian we appoint.

To add to this, why pay revoluts high fees when you can get much lower with Binance or CoinBase Pro

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Wait until the proper multi year bear market when their revenue is reduced due to less trading happening, that's my plan at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Also their fees are pure murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

shawki wrote: »
    Buy what you want but don’t use Revolut.

I'd say use Revolut to dabble initially. Its easy. But just bare in mind that their fees are far far higher than the main online exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Don't use Revolut for serious investing in crypto. It's not owned by you separately but pooled with other investors. No wallet address. Grand for a little dabble but not anything more.

I've been into crypto since 2013, private wallets are a nightmare to put it mildly. Risks from malware, hacks, technical failure, switching PC's, switching phones, misplaced passwords, having to put **** in physical safes, etc. Then wallets have to be upgraded, tokens need to be migrated, older wallets are a mess (massive blockchain sizes), it's not for the faint-hearted. And fees? I've spent a small fortune on moving coins off exchanges, crypto transfer fees, purchase (and sales) fees on fiat gateway. And then there's the exchange risk, movement risk, ****ing up a trade. The whole thing is risky as **** over the years.

Something like Revolut is fine for the average investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I've been into crypto since 2013, private wallets are a nightmare to put it mildly. Risks from malware, hacks, technical failure, switching PC's, switching phones, misplaced passwords, having to put **** in physical safes, etc. Then wallets have to be upgraded, tokens need to be migrated, older wallets are a mess (massive blockchain sizes), it's not for the faint-hearted. And fees? I've spent a small fortune on moving coins off exchanges, crypto transfer fees, purchase (and sales) fees on fiat gateway. And then there's the exchange risk, movement risk, ****ing up a trade. The whole thing is risky as **** over the years.

Something like Revolut is fine for the average investor.

I agree, although i do stake some crypto so don't buy that through revolut. I usually check how many coins i get on revolut compared to my kraken account when buying with debit card and while i get more on kraken it isn't a lot more. Transferring via bank can take ages.

Today i bought the dip but looks like AIB is now blocking my card from Kraken. Has worked before but today it wouldnt go through to the visa verification and instead i got a message saying my bank has blocked the transaction for security and safety reasons :-(. So i had to use revolut which i had not such problem with.

Revolut are also beta testing allowing transfer or crypto so hopefully will be available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Jimjay wrote: »
    I agree, although i do stake some crypto so don't buy that through revolut. I usually check how many coins i get on revolut compared to my kraken account when buying with debit card and while i get more on kraken it isn't a lot more. Transferring via bank can take ages.

Today i bought the dip but looks like AIB is now blocking my card from Kraken. Has worked before but today it wouldnt go through to the visa verification and instead i got a message saying my bank has blocked the transaction for security and safety reasons :-(. So i had to use revolut which i had not such problem with.

Revolut are also beta testing allowing transfer or crypto so hopefully will be available soon.

Sorry what? Why are banks allowed to decide how you spend your money. Can you do sepa transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Why are banks allowed to decide how you spend your money.
    Kinda why crypto exists beyond inflation risk. You're giving up your right to your money and loaning your bank money for them to gamble so they can skim the cream. So you can get the benefit of a credit score which they will use against you when they see fit.

Economic Stockholm Syndrome. "I trust them"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Sorry what? Why are banks allowed to decide how you spend your money. Can you do sepa transfer?
    Ulster blocked me doing Sepa before.

The only person their security has stopped spending my money is me. When some pr1ck got my card and set up guest paypal accounts, facebook games account, sent money to africa and other stuff. None of that was a problem seemingly. Even the guest account with paypal, 2 accounts with the same card. Not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

pioneerpro wrote: »
    All the FUD and Wierdos come out with the Heat. It's like a Spike Lee movie.

image.png

This is where you earn your money in crypto folks. Back up the truck on your convictions over the next 48hrs.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

grindle wrote: »
    Kinda why crypto exists beyond inflation risk. You're giving up your right to your money and loaning your bank money for them to gamble so they can skim the cream. So you can get the benefit of a credit score which they will use against you when they see fit.

Economic Stockholm Syndrome. "I trust them"

Speaking of inflation, if you were actually using your BTC as your numeraire and about to buy a house with it around mid April (~ 2 months ago) but held off until today, you'd find, all else equal, that your inflation between then and today would be running at an annualised rate of 3500%.

You don't give up the right to your money when you give it to the Bank. They may default on their obligation to repay the same as any other creditor, but there are State protections against that.

Banks serve important functions in society such as the mobilisation of capital etc. Access to credit is also a great social leveller. (Reasonable inflation aids that purpose too btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Same happened to me with AIB and I was told it was an issue with verify by Visa and that they couldn't remove the block, that I'd have to phone every time I wanted to make a card payment to an exchange.

I find it funny that they're so worried about my security when it comes to crypto exchanges but that for anything else online, my two factor authentication will suffice.

Used a SEPA in the end and for anyone looking for a handy way to do SEPA via your card, just top up Revolut and send the money via Revolut by using the bank transfer option. Really handy and saves the trip to the bank or the bank seeing anything.

Perhaps the crypto exchanges are used by scammers/thieves?
    If they get access to your details and transfer the money to another bank account there will be a window where that can possibly be reversed, plus then there is the hope (not always true) that the recipient bank should have done its due diligence on the owner of the recipient account.
    Money going to an exchange, used to buy tokens which are then moved off the exchange ..... probably no reversing there?

One thing people probably know is that when items are purchased using your stolen credit card details, then you won't be at the loss of that. What a lot of people probably don't know is that that loss is absorbed by the merchant, not by the credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Perhaps the crypto exchanges are used by scammers/thieves?
    If they get access to your details and transfer the money to another bank account there will be a window where that can possibly be reversed, plus then there is the hope (not always true) that the recipient bank should have done its due diligence on the owner of the recipient account.
    Money going to an exchange, used to buy tokens which are then moved off the exchange ..... probably no reversing there?

One thing people probably know is that when items are purchased using your stolen credit card details, then you won't be at the loss of that. What a lot of people probably don't know is that that loss is absorbed by the merchant, not by the credit card company.

Isn't that why 2FA is set up though, I have plenty of security in place that prevents an irregular transaction. Fair enough if it's a one off block from a card that has never been used on an exchange previously but to continuously block a regular purchase, when 2FA is in place, just seems a bit odd.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Isn't that why 2FA is set up though, I have plenty of security in place that prevents an irregular transaction. Fair enough if it's a one off block from a card that has never been used on an exchange previously but to continuously block a regular purchase, when 2FA is in place, just seems a bit odd.

I don't know. I don't use those exchanges.

Sim swapping isn't that unheard of in some countries though

I don't know. I don't use those exchanges.

Sim swapping isn't that unheard of in some countries though

Not an issue in Ireland thankfully

HGVRHKYY wrote: »
    Not an issue in Ireland thankfully

But that might be enough to have exchanges listed as potential red flags.
    The bank doesn't have an exhaustive list of all phone numbers you might possess.

And they also don't know that the exchange account it is going to is actually yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But that might be enough to have exchanges listed as potential red flags.
    The bank doesn't have an exhaustive list of all phone numbers you might possess.

And they also don't know that the account it is going to is actually yours!

Banks can easily identify fraudulent transactions based on your spending history - has existed for years, that Ireland is 10 years behind everyone else is the banks issue and they aren't too fussed about changing it - like instant transfers between SEPA accounts, banking apps that have a fraction of what my N26 app can do. Is it the ESB that don't even have Google pay yet?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Banks can easily identify fraudulent transactions based on your spending history - has existed for years, that Ireland is 10 years behind everyone else is the banks issue and they aren't too fussed about changing it - like instant transfers between SEPA accounts, banking apps that have a fraction of what my N26 app can do. Is it the ESB that don't even have Google pay yet?

But sure that is what they are doing - stopping or holding up a transaction they identify as potentially fraudulent.

Advertisement