Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But sure that is what they are doing - stopping or holding up a transaction they identify as potentially fraudulent.

The first time ok - lets double check and go thru 2FA etc, second and multiple times after, that's not fraud prevention, that's just being difficult - only red flag would be if you are doing sub 100 euro and suddenly there is a transaction for 1000 euro then KYC policies kick in and block it
    Irish banking system just does not have software to do it properly - tho I've never had an issue with KBC since I moved to them from BoI

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

No Irish bank nor Visa/Mastercard blocks Paysafe/Paypal or Western Union transfers, and none of them do any special checks when buying large quantities of online gift cards, so any speculative argument is completely moot. It's just them being pricks, pure and simple.

In other more pertinent news, Maker had a strange breakout this evening.

fritzelly wrote: »
    The first time ok - lets double check and go thru 2FA etc, second and multiple times after, that's not fraud prevention, that's just being difficult - only red flag would be if you are doing sub 100 euro and suddenly there is a transaction for 1000 euro then KYC policies kick in and block it
    Irish banking system just does not have software to do it properly - tho I've never had an issue with KBC since I moved to them from BoI

The usual route is scammers with card DBs and CVVs try purchases below the $2 mark to check if the card is live and active, then they resell. If its not caught then, its generally not caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

https://tokenhell.com/uk-banks-to-stop-transfer-of-funds-to-crypto-exchanges/
    UK bank, TSB, has followed through with its plans to stop bank transfers to crypto exchanges in light of fraud reports by its customers. According to the bank, over 800 customers have complained about losing their money to crypto scams. Hence, the bank has barred transfers to popular cryptocurrency exchanges, Binance and Kraken. The bank had initially announced plans to do so at the beginning of this month.

It's not just Ireland so!

(Now, those customers might have willingly been duped into transferring the money. But the banks were obviously getting some flak over it)

https://tokenhell.com/uk-banks-to-stop-transfer-of-funds-to-crypto-exchanges/

It's not just Ireland so!

(Now, those customers might have willingly been duped into transferring the money. But the banks were obviously getting some flak over it)

Banks covering their asses/losses - no surprise
    Bet gift card scams are costing them more money

Scammers will just move on to other methods - they never stop while there are stupid people in the world

Anyways we diverge - BTC made decent recovery today, everything else not so much

• Advertisement

Banks covering their asses/losses - no surprise
    Bet gift card scams are costing them more money

Scammers will just move on to other methods - they never stop while there are stupid people in the world

Anyways we diverge - BTC made decent recovery today, everything else not so much

It's literally all BSC ****coins and rugpulls - and then they go and accuse Kraken of having poor security and/or even listing these things. The mind absolutely boggles. Fuel for the clowns and nothing more. I'd love to know how many Elderly/Vulnerable investigations they had in 2020 for people sending money to Nigerian princes via wire-transfer.

Revolut and the rest of the disruptors actively adding coins at the moment in comparison :D

image.png

The key line there being "losing funds from Binance accounts" not having the bank account scammed - aka I gave a scammer access to my Binance account but it's not my fault and the bank needs to give me the money back else why is the concern of the banks
    And not surprisingly Binance experienced the most scams - nothing to do with being the biggest exchange or anything

The key line there being "losing funds from Binance accounts" not having the bank account scammed - aka I gave a scammer access to my Binance account but it's not my fault and the bank needs to give me the money back else why is the concern of the banks
    And not surprisingly Binance experienced the most scams - nothing to do with being the biggest exchange or anything

I'd say its more likely they were throwing money into ****coins and then cried foul on a rugpull. What we call a 'Mark Cuban Maneuver' in 2021 :D

In short, they went mad out of pure FOMO/greed...

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Jimjay wrote: »

Revolut are also beta testing allowing transfer or crypto so hopefully will be available soon.

If you pay premium card I think about €7 a month then you can transfer into wallet.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Problem solved for people not just on this thread.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Problem solved for people not just on this thread.

Don't worry man. I'm very choosy as to whom I accept on contact lists. You might not make the cut

Don't worry man. I'm very choosy as to whom I accept on contact lists. You might not make the cut

I was worried I was missing the context of the screenshot

Ah he keeps sending me PMs asking me to add him to me friend's list on boards.ie . I don't really know how to break it to the poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I assumed the block feature was the one intended to catch the eye.

Ah possibly. The rejection from the friends list might have been too much to bear. It would probably be a unbearable stinging hurt every time he sees one of my informative posts. Time heals though :pac:

Ahhh I forgot to use the sarcasm font

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

if you were actually using your BTC as your numeraire

I never would, you're aiming this at the wrong person.

I know I'm gambling, I also know a bank will not have a say in whether I buy a house or not unless crypto fully dies (it won't). I could buy now but ruin my retirement fund. Not gonna happen. Sh1tcoins will be said to be a safe investment when you're told they are, other people will have bought in when it was already a 100x opportunity (actually a 440x at ETH's peak, but it's not stopping there. He says, as it drops 10% a day).

Price outpaces utility by a longshot, ignore the price like I have, better sleep guaranteed.

BTC still making a nice rebound - ETH and the rest following slowly

pioneerpro wrote: »
    All the FUD and Wierdos come out with the Heat. It's like a Spike Lee movie.

image.png

This is where you earn your money in crypto folks. Back up the truck on your convictions over the next 48hrs.

Hopefully all the clowns FUDding and indulging in premature schadenfreude didn't put anyone off. Best profit opportunity of 2021 starting from the QuadWitching on Friday. Yesterday at 3:30PM we had BTC @ 29k, ETH @ 1700

image.png

Do note as well that 25th June is the options expiry date for 1.5billion of puts and calls; 3.6billion in total for the month of June.

image.png

Waiting for MATIC/Polygon to find a floor here around 80c as long as the entire market doesn't dump as a result of BTC going below 25k.

Similar story with AVAX/Avalanche in the $7-8 range as a mutually exclusive, but EIP-1559 correlated, play in relation to some of the more interesting recent news coming from France

https://www.banque-france.fr/en/communique-de-presse/banque-de-france-conducts-new-central-bank-digital-currency-experiment

Few of the ETH2.0/CDBC oriented projects are starting to get enticing as short-term plays outside of the obviously roll-up oriented ones that are on tight timelines (MATIC included; zksync at some point this year as well).

See Israel/Digital Shekel on ETH news today. Writing is on the wall.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-23/bank-of-israel-to-use-ethereum-tech-for-digital-shekel-globes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

Hopefully all the clowns FUDding and indulging in premature schadenfreude didn't put anyone off. Best profit opportunity of 2021 starting from the QuadWitching on Friday

Had this issue on the last dip. These morons coming out of the woodwork fudding at times when market is at the bottom, they are solely responsible for losing people's money, everyone knows who they are, they are a disgrace. If people feel like the market will dip in future, never sell on those -20% red days, market will rebound and you can sell then.

They are clueless, do not listen to them. They are nowhere to be seen when market is pumping, they are guttless wimps, ignore them!

Jaysus. Someone is very touchy

I'd doubt it was a boards.ie post that caused any market movement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

KilOit wrote: »
    Had this issue on the last dip. These morons coming out of the woodwork fudding at times when market is at the bottom, they are solely responsible for losing people's money, everyone knows who they are, they are a disgrace. If people feel like the market will dip in future, never sell on those -20% red days, market will rebound and you can sell then.

They are clueless, do not listen to them. They are nowhere to be seen when market is pumping, they are guttless wimps, ignore them!

Short-term hyperbole

When the market drops sharply, there's a natural rebound. Even when the market is "flat", it's still moving up and down around 2% per day in normal cycles as traders make their margins.

If we're entering a bear, then I would expect to be at least 50% down from today in around 4 to 6 months (including the inevitable fake bulls), this has happened multiple times before. Overlay the charts and the similarity is striking.

The market could go anywhere, but I would be highly surprised to see us breach ATH across the main coins again this year, put it that way. I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone to buy at this point, I'd wait at least 6 to 9 months to get a better picture.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Short-term hyperbole

When the market drops sharply, there's a natural rebound. Even when the market is "flat", it's still moving up and down around 2% per day in normal cycles as traders make their margins.

If we're entering a bear, then I would expect to be at least 50% down from today in around 4 to 6 months (including the inevitable fake bulls), this has happened multiple times before. Overlay the charts and the similarity is striking.

The market could go anywhere, but I would be highly surprised to see us breach ATH across the main coins again this year, put it that way. I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone to buy at this point, I'd wait at least 6 to 9 months to get a better picture.

I would imagine that there would always be an element of overshoot in that market? especially with any algos or limits kicking in. So there would always be a bounce. The problem is that you probably don't know where the extremum is.

That would be my take as an outsider who isn't a paid up member of the die-hard supporters club. Posters can ignore it if they feel offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hopefully all the clowns FUDding and indulging in premature schadenfreude didn't put anyone off. Best profit opportunity of 2021 starting from the QuadWitching on Friday.

I was waiting on a transfer to hit Bitstamp yesterday but it only arrived this morning. I missed the discounts but will buy once it drops back a little today or tomorrow.

Lessons learned always have FIAT money on exchange ready to pounce :o

I was waiting on a transfer to hit Bitstamp yesterday but it only arrived this morning. I missed the discounts but will buy once it drops back a little today or tomorrow.

Lessons learned always have FIAT money on exchange ready to pounce :o

The hardest part of any game is keeping dry powder on hand - stocks or crypto. Can be bloody hard to time it - but for the likes of ETH and a select few other dependent/correlated coins it'll be a case of time in the market vs timing the market for the rest of 2021.

imo you'll see runs from MATIC, ANKR for a little while, then optimism/arbitrum/zksync all off the back of rollups. I wouldn't listen to anyone shouting the odds about sharding too strongly - it's definitely going to impact roll-ups (hence the timeframe I'm putting on these) but Vitalik has been pretty explicit about his preference for zk rollups on a speed/security basis so I'm gonna go with him as regards the post-London and EIP-1559 world.

image.png

In particular, I wouldn't get caught holding BNB or BSC stuff. I'd be a little warmer on DOT based purely on Kusama, and have a strong suspicion AAVE and AVAX will have an important role going forward.

It's a *great* time to be in crypto, or even dipping your toe in for the first time. 2021 is ETHs year to lose at this point.

I rarely do this for obvious reasons on this thread (as well as not liking to speak in absolutes or tightly defined timeframes), but I think there's a good chance Kusama is about to take-off today from the $200-210 range.

Parachain 2 auction is underway; 60% of the float is staked, and there's 20% now set aside for parachains.

The float is about 2 million tokens in all actuality but the reported float is still 8,470,098.06 KSM.

Fully Diluted Market Cap is 2$ billion, up 22.6% since crash
    24hr volume is 0.5$ billion, up nearly 50% since crash.

Was over $500 on June 9th. $200 today.

Good hunting.

There's always an overshoot. Whether it's the entire market or one crypto.

Back on the original subject (and sorry for the dreadful snapshot) but this is the stuff people need to be focusing on

https://imgur.com/a/Gic560g

Using Eth as an example, above is the comparison

https://imgur.com/a/2skdqpq.png

Above we are zooming in on the 2018 crash. The red is where we "are" now. The blue is the false bull that caught almost everyone out. The red and blue is where all the moonboys and idiotsenthusiastic community members told everyone to buy. The purple is where people should have started buying

As usual, anything could happen next, but if we start to repeat this cycle this time round, the purple will be the place to start thinking about buying.

Edit; cant get the pics working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    There's always an overshoot. Whether it's the entire market or one crypto.

Back on the original subject (and sorry for the dreadful snapshot) but this is the stuff people need to be focusing on

https://imgur.com/a/Gic560g

Using Eth as an example, above is the comparison

https://imgur.com/a/2skdqpq.png

Above we are zooming in on the 2018 crash. The red is where we "are" now. The blue is the false bull that caught almost everyone out. The red and blue is where all the moonboys and idiotsenthusiastic community members told everyone to buy. The purple is where people should have started buying

As usual, anything could happen next, but if we start to repeat this cycle this time round, the purple will be the place to start thinking about buying.

Edit; cant get the pics working

I can never get my head around the predictions off the back of previous trends. Are there not any external factors at play that might make two runs three years apart hard to compare to?

What would drive us into the purple range right now, a herd sense of stagnation and moving money out?

I wasn't really following in 2018, and I wouldn't say I have too much knowledge in 2021, but are there external similarities between the two runs? Any initial driving forces like big money buy in and what caused the dive in 2018?

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I can never get my head around the predictions off the back of previous trends. Are there not any external factors at play that might make two runs three years apart hard to compare to?

Coca-cola shares go up and down based on the performance of the Coca-cola company - there's a logic to it. If they double their profits, share price will roughly double (a crude analogy)

Crypto is a different beast. It goes up and down sometimes for logical reasons, sometimes because of one tweet, sometimes for reasons we can't figure out. It's a highly irrational market. So no one, much less the traders, really know what it's going to do next.

But.

2013 first big bull run, then 3 years of a bear
    2017 big bull run, 3 years of a bear
    2021 big bull run, ......

Of course the past is not an indication of the future, but since crypto has almost nothing to go on (unlike almost all other financial instruments, crypto values can't be calculated), it's had a tendency to follow crude patterns. And because people know this, then it has a habit of "fulfilling prophecies". (A lot of people actually predicted a bull run in roughly 2020/21 because basically it had happened twice before in roughly the same period, ironically that could have helped the bull run take off)
    What would drive us into the purple range right now, a herd sense of stagnation and moving money out?

Just bearish sentiment.

The "excitement" has gone, runs fizzle out, days/weeks of red. The market doesn't react to "good news". No one is talking about it anymore. It turns into it's own self perpetuating cycle.
    I wasn't really following in 2018, and I wouldn't say I have too much knowledge in 2021, but are there external similarities between the two runs? Any initial driving forces like big money buy in and what caused the dive in 2018?

Open up any long-term chart. Point to the best time to buy. Is it during or after a bull run ever? No. Historically the best time to buy has been when the market goes low and flat in between runs.

Does that automatically mean we wait 6 months and it will be "lower"? No, anything could happen. But if we start to track 2018, then it's a good indication we are possibly going in that direction.

There was a mini bull in early 2019 driven by BTC and exchange coins, there was another mini bull in early 2020 driven (ironically) by a mini alt explosion led by BTCSV speculation. Small **** like that happens and is completely unpredictable. I'm only referring to the big picture, i.e. what's going to happen over the next years.

Advertisement