Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

pioneerpro wrote: »

image.png

How do you see this affecting the price? With my limited knowledge, does a high volume of puts not mean that there will be a high volume of buy orders but then will likely follow with a high volume of sells?

Not really sure how it works, but I have funds at the ready for Fri/sat/sun regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

At the moment my strategy is that i'm buying some crypto but also keeping money on the side incase it goes further down

This way I might be buying the bottom if this is an accumulation period before another leg up end of year, but also a plan B to buy at lower prices if it goes down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Take me back to the start of this thread lol I can exit a few coins lol - BTC what do we think retests ath soon or more likely dips closer to 20k than it did yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Take me back to the start of this thread lol I can exit a few coins lol - BTC what do we think retests ath soon or more likely dips closer to 20k than it did yesterday?

For all the charts in the world nobody really knows. My personal take is we see something like the current ranges, say roughly the 30-40K mark for the next couple of months accumulation. Then a breakout towards new highs at the end of the year. But I don't see it anywhere near the recent high around 65K any time soon. Something like the attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bfa1509 wrote: »
    How do you see this affecting the price? With my limited knowledge, does a high volume of puts not mean that there will be a high volume of buy orders but then will likely follow with a high volume of sells?

Not really sure how it works, but I have funds at the ready for Fri/sat/sun regardless.

Could be cash settled.

Post also does not indicate the strike prices of the options. They might be far OTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

No mention of John McAfees death.
    The bet will not have to be fulfilled it seems

seannash wrote: »

I started a thread a few minutes ago. the mods can delete it or move it here if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So Doge and Musk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Speaking of inflation, if you were actually using your BTC as your numeraire and about to buy a house with it around mid April (~ 2 months ago) but held off until today, you'd find, all else equal, that your inflation between then and today would be running at an annualised rate of 3500%.

You don't give up the right to your money when you give it to the Bank. They may default on their obligation to repay the same as any other creditor, but there are State protections against that.

Banks serve important functions in society such as the mobilisation of capital etc. Access to credit is also a great social leveller. (Reasonable inflation aids that purpose too btw).

State protection did not work out for Cyprus bank account holders. Who is to say it cant happen here too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

John was colorful person but suicide? I would not think he would go this route. I know that he probably spent a lot of his pump and dump fortune and may have even be scammed out of some of it by his accomplices but I guess he knew how to hide some of it for rainy days.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    State protection did not work out for Cyprus bank account holders. Who is to say it cant happen here too?

Well actually it did. Protection was there up to 100k. If you have more than that at any one institution, you would wanted to have done your homework.

Best thing to do is to spread your deposits around different institutions. That goes for anywhere in the world with a deposit guarantee

What percentage will the SA linked investors get back from the link above do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You don't give up the right to your money when you give it to the Bank. They may default on their obligation to repay the same as any other creditor, but there are State protections against that.

There are significant caveats to this.

Firstly the obvious one: the deposit guarantee scheme only applies to certain depositors and up to a certain amount. Even if taken at face value it isn’t promising to be a full protection against bank defaults.

Secondly (and less widely understood), the deposit guarantee scheme doesn’t have the firepower to cover the complete default of a large bank (by a large margin). Hard to find clear documents explaining how it is structured, but it says here (page 7) that it is targeting to be sized at 0,8% of all covered deposits by 2024 (so we can assume currently it is less). When you think about it, it makes sense: if there really was a fund set aside with the technical ability to cover all current deposits in the even of mass defaults, it would basically double the monetary mass in the country with half of it sitting in the fund - which would be massive and make no sense (household deposits only are over 120 billions). But it means that while it can cover the complete default a small local financial institution, in the case of a BOI or AIB the scheme only has the capability to cover a very partial default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Watched a documentary on him a few years ago, I think it was called Gringo, a maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

patnor1011 wrote: »
    John was colorful person but suicide? I would not think he would go this route. I know that he probably spent a lot of his pump and dump fortune and may have even be scammed out of some of it by his accomplices but I guess he knew how to hide some of it for rainy days.

Didn't bother to wait for extradition this time. Putin playbook.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

May have passed away after trying to eat his own dick?

Bob24 wrote: »
    There are significant caveats to this.

Firstly the obvious one: the deposit guarantee scheme only applies to certain depositors and up to a certain amount. Even if taken at face value it isn’t promising to be a full protection against bank defaults.

Secondly (and less widely understood), the deposit guarantee scheme doesn’t have the firepower to cover the complete default of a large bank (by a large margin). Hard to find clear documents explaining how it is structured, but it says here (page 7) that it is targeting to be sized at 0,8% of all covered deposits by 2024 (I.e. currently it is less). When you think about it, it makes sense: if there really was a fund set aside to cover all deposits, it would basically double the monetary mass in the country with half of it sitting in the fund - which would be massive and make no sense (household deposits only are over 120 billions). It can cover a full default for small local financial institutions, but in the case of a BOI or AIB it would only cover a very partial default.

You might be mixing up things. Think of it a little bit like someone getting a loan/mortgage and having their parents go guarantor on it. The parents do not have to have the outstanding on the mortgage set aside in an escrow account. They do of course have to have good standing/credit themselves or such a guarantee is useless.

A government can of course also default but historically this was perceived as something that would never happen for local denominated debt. When you have a case like Argentina, that was due to dollar denominated debt that could not be printed away. Although in the last decade or so, this is less true as some EM economies would prefer to default and suffer those consequences rather than risk (hyper) inflation. So in those markets you can actually get external issuers issuing below sovereign. The old textbooks will give you the impression that that can't happen but it actually does in practice.
    Regardless, in the case of Ireland, we could not unilaterally print local currency anyway so the above is moot. It just a way of highlighting that sovereign default is no longer thought of as "impossible" for local debt. It never was considered impossible for foreign denominated debt.

Banks themselves have to have capital set aside (and those requirements are quite onerous). I'd be more familiar with the trading book rather than banking book. In general, capital requirements are supposed to be large enough to absorb a reasonably possible loss. FRTB places additional requirements and obligations on banks as regards calculating capital requirements. In the event that those buffers are not large enough to cover everything, then they should still absorb most of the losses. So the government just needs to step in to top up those depositors up to the guarantee ceiling.
    The issue would be if a default in one set off a systematic collapse - like dominoes falling. The prevention of that is why the Irish government were bullied into providing the unlimited guarantee back in the day. That should never have been done. There should have been haircuts applied to all debt. That is for another thread though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It is a fact that the guarantee scheme alone could not face the default of a large bank, no confusion here.

If such default was to materialise, the government would have multiple options:
    1) bail-out the bank to prevent the default, at the expense of taxpayers (addition of massive government debt) - we have seen this before but it might be politically difficult to do it again
    2) let the bank default but take over the compensation claims which the guarantee scheme cannot cover, again at a massive expense for taxpayers - if I get you, this is what you suggest should be done
    3) let the bank default and not do very much about the liabilities which the guarantee scheme cannot cover

But we don’t know which route would be chosen (nor which ones would be available in practise). Options 1 or 2 could mean adding double digit percentage of GDP to the national debt, which isn’t a trivial matter - so I personally wouldn’t take them for granted. Also, if this situation occurs it should be assumed that things will be messy and there will be nasty hidden surprises in the books of the bank (see Anglo Irish), so regardless of prudential regulations no one knows how much money would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

I want all of you goofs to make big money and come to Dirks bar and grill in Portugal and drink the pioneerpro limoncello cocktail, so i give you this, a hopefully fool proof guide to making big gains, LINK should make up the lions share of your holdings and then buy only the tokens you see on the far right of the picture, and note that ADA and XRP are nowhere to be seen. (Oasis labs is there)

https://twitter.com/chainlink/status/1407732784655966227

link-Copy.png

and we can see that this will be off and running in November, you have time to fill your bags

swift-Copy.jpg

Now you have the knowledge, its up to you to do a little bit of research to confirm and then back up the truck and buy with both hands, you cant say you did not know when this takes off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've just put my pension in to it - this time next year Rodney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There's no arguing with fancy pictures, must be legit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Dirk what is your realistic price prediction for Oasis Rose token?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

I want all of you goofs to make big money and come to Dirks bar and grill in Portugal and drink the pioneerpro limoncello cocktail, so i give you this, a hopefully fool proof guide to making big gains
    Now you have the knowledge, its up to you to do a little bit of research to confirm and then back up the truck and buy with both hands, you cant say you did not know when this takes off

image.png

FYI
    Facebook to launch their crypto soon, a stable coin that you can pay for stuff or send to each other, now you would not want your friends to see how much money in your Facebook account, so rumour is they use ROSE.

Absolute horseradish btw. They'll almost certainly be using Diem as their global stablecoin, based off their existing Libra project. Absolutely 0 chance they'll use Rose, and no remotely credible source would even hint at it.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/investing/facebook-backed-crypto-project-diem-to-launch-us-stablecoin/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,362 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:) Few things as enjoyable as a nice clean scalping

Predictions thread did not gain traction and was forgotten about, so i made no amendments, the market took a dive, but fortunately Dirk who only held ETH, DOT and LINK in the top 10, seen which way the wind was blowing and got out of his DOT position before the market dumped hard. On reflection it would seem that KSM and DOT auction appear to be priced in, i got a bag at launch and was hoping for even bigger gains off DOT, not bad but could have been so much better.
    dotsell.png
    I now only hold ETH and LINK from that prediction, and LINK has been a disappointment as to why its not worth a lot more, then folk on the internet noticed something, when the market was crashing positions where getting liquidated and LINK positions where getting liquidated at a rate far higher than others, a bit of digging and it would appear that the LINK on loan to the likes of Blockfi and Celsius was being dumped on the market, driving the price down and then been bough back by Blockfi and Celsius, LINK holders are now removing LINK from lending platforms and we will see this winding down and totally eliminated once staking is up and running.
    liquidations-Copy.jpg
    The Chainlnk and Swift partnership will be bearing fruit in the coming months in a big way.
    https://www.coindesk.com/six-banks-back-swift-international-payments-platform
    Still dont believe it well here is proof from 2017 go to page 20 and see for yourself
    https://create.smartcontract.com/sibos17
    ios200022 is what you are looking for, the future of bank payments
    https://www.iso20022.org/
    Now look at the speakers for the 1445 time slot, Sergey Nazarov is Chainlink
    https://www.swift.com/news-events/events/smarter-securities-0/programme
    swift-Copy.jpg
    As for Facebook and Diem, Diem is the NAME of it, how many tokens run on Ethereum, do they not have different names, as for ROSE you clearly do not have a clue what ROSE is and what it does, but dont worry dirk has put plenty of bread crumbs down for anyone smarter than a halfwit to follow.
    If you are smart you will DYOR on ROSE and look into the Ekiden protocol by Oasis labs, the authors all work at either Oasis or Chainlink labs, look at who is citing this paper in their research and you will be in no doubt of how big ROSE will be in the coming years.
    rose.png
    Come November this will be LINK and ROSE discussion board and you will only have yourself to blame if you aint making it, it all laid out in front of you and you have the decide what you do next.

And i know how you like memes around her so here it is in the most simple way, you will either understand the importance of LINK or you wont and ROSE is clearly beyond you, here is the investment guide for all IQ levels here that what to make big gains.
    link-iq-Copy.png

I'd be a little warmer on DOT based purely on Kusama, and have a strong suspicion AAVE and AVAX will have an important role going forward.

AAVE and AVAX are as tight as two coats of paint with Chainlink, when LINK moons those close will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Some of those fancy pictures are just a load of nonsense. How is solidity not a mainstream coding language ffs.

For €4500 right now you can get 100k ROSE, 0.045c a pop, now it was 24c a few month ago, for every 1c price rise if you have 100k ROSE you do the math how much you will make when it gets back to 24c, posters round her like to take out their investment and let the rest ride, the perfect token for them
    You will see ROSE at $1 within 1 year, to $5 in 3 and then $10 in 5, remember it has staking up and running and paying 15% now, that 100k Rose will get you 40 ROSE a day and the interest in automatically compounding , buy it forget about it and come back in a few years to massive gains
    DYOR on ROSE its all out in public nothing is hidden, its all there to be found with a little effort on Google (who are are partner by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

For €4500 right now you can get 100k ROSE, 0.045c a pop, now it was 24c a few month ago, for every 1c price rise if you have 100k ROSE you do the math how much you will make when it gets back to 24c, posters round her like to take out their investment and let the rest ride, the perfect token for them
    You will see ROSE at $1 within 1 year, to $5 in 3 and then $10 in 5, remember it has staking up and running and paying 15% now, that 100k Rose will get you 40 ROSE a day and the interest in automatically compounding , buy it forget about it and come back in a few years to massive gains
    DYOR on ROSE its all out in public nothing is hidden, its all there to be found with a little effort on Google (who are are partner by the way)

Still unavailable to buy €:crypto though unfortunately, I try to only buy direct with fiat to avoid the possible headache of CGT on crypto:crypto buys. Any word on when it'll be listed somewhere to buy it directly with euro?

• Advertisement

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Some of those fancy pictures are just a load of nonsense. How is solidity not a mainstream coding language ffs.
    You still have not let us know how THETA will succeed where MS Mixer failed
    Instead of chasing vaporware(ADA) look to invest in projects with rock solid fundamentals, top of their field creators and top tier VC backers

https://oasisprotocol.org/partners
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Song
    https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=84WzBlYAAAAJ&hl=en

One of the most promising L1 projects in crypto.
    White paper is written by the best minds in the field - Dawn Song and Ari Juels.
    Focus on product delivery instead of baseless marketing.
    Diverse team, built exactly for Reddit and Twitter crowds.
    Unique tech which separates consensus and compute. High performance and scalability enabled.
    Secure enclaves support, multiple trusted execution environments supported.
    Google partnership on par with AMD, Thales and HashiCorp - developing Google’s Confidential VMs.
    Binance partnership, CryptoSafe Alliance anti-fraud is using Oasis Labs.
    Nebula Genomics partnership, sequence your genome and store it safely with Oasis.
    Tons of partners
    Unannounced Fortune500 Social Media company partnership. Rumor is Facebook.
    Very low market cap, you are early - build your stacks.
    Large Telegram community. Oasis team is actively engaged, answering promptly and directly.
    Oasis Ethereum bridge is almost finished and should be launched in the next few weeks.
    UniSwap adapted and already running on Oasis Ethereum ParaTime.
    A lot of interest from developers on all platforms and groups
    Dawn Song is actively guiding the team and promoting the project, currently in China pushing Oasis Labs agenda.
    Funded by Winklevoss brothers, a16z crypto, Accel, Binance Labs, Pantera and Polychain.
    Make your choice and be patient.

Advertisement