Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

Thanks for the reply, but when do we see the resident experts research on the matter?

Your reason is like saying the challenge of beating Twitch was too easy, so they are picking a fight with the 600lb Gorilla that is Youtube.

Like not finding the game of golf difficult enough, so as a right handed person you play the game left handed.......with children's clubs too short for you.

I'm skeptical of THETA too but directly comparing to mixer isn't fair so I just wanted to point that out. It has a usp outside of video game streaming services. None of YouTube, twitch, vimeo etc are offering p2p CDN's whilst paying people for the pleasure. Crypto, as I'm sure you know, is like a religion to some people so it does have a die hard fanbase already who are heavily invested. The same cannot be said for mixer. Theta is actually useless in Ireland right now due it's lack of adoption so, don't worry, I'm not convinced nor am I trying to shill it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

I'm skeptical of THETA too but directly comparing to mixer isn't fair so I just wanted to point that out. It has a usp outside of video game streaming services. None of YouTube, twitch, vimeo etc are offering p2p CDN's whilst paying people for the pleasure. Crypto, as I'm sure you know, is like a religion to some people so it does have a die hard fanbase already who are heavily invested. The same cannot be said for mixer. Theta is actually useless in Ireland right now due it's lack of adoption so, don't worry, I'm not convinced nor am I trying to shill it to you.

Thanks, a nice detailed reply with your reasons. More like this around here and we will be well on the way to nice profits

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

never watched a full interview with Michael Saylor before, guy is a complete nut. Car crash interview.. Poor ol Ben didn't know what to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LvKmW_lXk

Parts of Saylors talk was a bit like the Springfield politics debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm6GiHomqG4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Thanks, a nice detailed reply with your reasons. More like this around here and we will be well on the way to nice profits

There were plenty of comments around for years suggesting to buy BTC and Eth (resulting in 10x to 40x profits in just the last run)

There have also been countless comments from people shilling coins that went nowhere.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    There were plenty of comments around for years suggesting to buy BTC and Eth (resulting in 10x to 40x profits in just the last run)

There have also been countless comments from people shilling coins that went nowhere.

Who could have predicted BTC & ETH would rise in price, you got to be pulling my leg, boards has its own version of Nostradamus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Who could have predicted BTC & ETH would rise in price, you got to be pulling my leg, boards has its own version of Nostradamus?

There are no price guarantees in any of this. The only guarantee is that every bull produces a gaggle of new users and rereg's who feverishly and dogmatically try to sell whatever alts they are holding to everyone else here. When a bear kicks in and their **** is down 90% they disappear again. Just open a new thread on those coins, I'm sure one already exists for Link (edit: you have, good)

mdmix wrote: »
    never watched a full interview with Michael Saylor before, guy is a complete nut. Car crash interview.. Poor ol Ben didn't know what to say

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

mdmix wrote: »

He's a nut but not like Max Keiser nutty :)

I didn't realize how intelligent he was and all the other business stuff he did pre-bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Care to elaborate?

Saylor is largely incoherent in parts, saying things like, "your on a plane and its going down, and you don't have enough parachutes to save your family" and "all your charts are good until I show up to your house with a gun and stick it to your head". In a way, he did make sense after you watched the whole thing. Maybe the wolf of wallstreet type pitch works, but its all fear and emotion with him. The middle of the interview was insightful where he talks about how large institutions approach bitcoin and his take on bitcoin vs ethereum risk to reward.

A decent part of the interview is just the two of them misunderstanding each other.

I've watched half of it now. His ideas against diversifying are pretty mad. Everyone should have bought apple and amazon rather than companies that didn't perform. Easy to say in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I've watched half of it now. His ideas against diversifying are pretty mad. Everyone should have bought apple and amazon rather than companies that didn't perform. Easy to say in hindsight.

I bought a ton of apple in 2011 which is currently about 50% of my total portfolio, so yeah was fairly obvious to be honest.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I bought a ton of apple in 2011 which is currently about 50% of my total portfolio, so yeah was fairly obvious to be honest.

Nice. Any obvious ones you see today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Airline companies, BA, Untied and Ryanair for sure

The charts never lie!
    Some TA wizard has plotted a course out of this bear market, only way is up!
    ta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

The charts never lie!
    Some TA wizard has plotted a course out of this bear market, only way is up!
    ta.jpg

that's obviously nonsense.
    no way is it stopping at 55,000.
    too the moon!!!
    /S

He goes on to say to invest in strong assets that aren't interconnected... That's what I would called diversifying.

Very interesting guy altogether. I'd love to see him debate someone who isn't a bitcoin acolyte. A lot of that interview felt like an ad for crypto which he's obviously heavily invested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I’m jumping into crypto again after major ethereum regrets. I’m going heavy into ADA and hodling forever, might even throw away my records of passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

nj27 wrote: »
    I’m going heavy into ADA and hodling forever

Strong conviction there - any particular reasons?

Still think myself that ETH 2.0 in conjunction with a bunch of sharding/rollup altcoins are going to eat ADA for breakfast - I can't even think of one dApp on ADA even compared to say... DOT.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Strong conviction there - any particular reasons?

Still think myself that ETH 2.0 in conjunction with a bunch of sharding/rollup altcoins are going to eat ADA for breakfast - I can't even think of one dApp on ADA even compared to say... DOT.

Early days. This is buying 1 dollar ethereum. It would be hilarious though if I sold eth and got raped then hodl ADA while it goes nowhere. Probably will happen. There’s some interesting talk on Reddit regarding future dApp though.

Early days. This is buying 1 dollar ethereum. It would be hilarious though if I sold eth and got raped then hodl ADA while it goes nowhere. Probably will happen. There’s some interesting talk on Reddit regarding future dApp though.

It's really really not though. I liked them a lot, even up to the beginning of this year, but the stark reality is that they have wasted the time they have, can't commit to any of their roadmaps, and are rapidly losing relevance.

They never got the userbase, the tech stack is rapidly becoming obsolete in the face of competitors, and the lack of momentum behind the project in 2021 is deeply concerning.

From a purely valuation point of view, ADA is quadruple the Marketcap of DOT. When I try to reason why this may be the case, it's basically down to first-mover advantage and brand recognition. As a result, I feel that ADA is on a strict timer for 2021 and will probably not ever recover into the top 10 after the next significant market crash in the post-ETH 2.0 world.

https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/cardano-vs-polkadot-which-is-better-a363243d5ef
    There are over 350 projects built on the Polkadot network. The most popular are Kusama, Moonbeam (DOT’s proposed smart contract bridge between Ethereum and Polkadot), and Polkastarter.

Cardano on the other hand has, well, zero projects. I wish I was joking.

This is a big problem for Cardano. They had five years over Polkadot and still lost the first-movers advantage in the smart contract war.

• Advertisement

It's really really not though. I liked them a lot, even up to the beginning of this year, but the stark reality is that they have wasted the time they have, can't commit to any of their roadmaps, and are rapidly losing relevance.

They never got the userbase, the tech stack is rapidly becoming obsolete in the face of competitors, and the lack of momentum behind the project in 2021 is deeply concerning.

From a purely valuation point of view, ADA is quadruple the Marketcap of DOT. When I try to reason why this may be the case, it's basically down to first-mover advantage and brand recognition. As a result, I feel that ADA is on a strict timer for 2021 and will probably not ever recover into the top 10 after the next significant market crash in the post-ETH 2.0 world.

https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/cardano-vs-polkadot-which-is-better-a363243d5ef

They have spent a lot of time making sure everything is sound, which is a credible approach in my opinion. They have some major smart contracts like Gogeun, and multi currency wallets like Daedalus. It’s in its infancy and it’s a slow mover granted, but they’re ironing out potential future problems first. This looks like a project with a future also based on the team behind it. At the end of the day you may well be right,but I’m excited both by the vision. Also doesn’t hurt having James at the helm. This is going places IMO.

They have spent a lot of time making sure everything is sound, which is a credible approach in my opinion. They have some major smart contracts like Gogeun, and multi currency wallets like Daedalus. It’s in its infancy and it’s a slow mover granted, but they’re ironing out potential future problems first. This looks like a project with a future also based on the team behind it. At the end of the day you may well be right,but I’m excited both by the vision. Also doesn’t hurt having James at the helm. This is going places IMO.

They've had good technical and thought leadership, no doubt. What they haven't had is good project management, the ability to meet deadlines, or a mature and comprehensively documented SDK sufficient to on-board a critical mass of 3rd party developers.

In my head, as a dApp platform, it will literally come down to 3rd party development hitting a critical mass of utility as the benchmark by which ADA and its direct competitors will be judged.

They've had 5 years to achieve something, anything, in that space. As of today they have 0 projects deployed. DOT has Kusama alone which is far more impactful than anything that they'll be able to get traction and deliver on in the ADA space in 2021/2022 imo.

I've held plenty ADA in the past. As a buy and hold in Q3 2021 it gives me pause for thought given whats on the landscape from competing teams with equivalent pedigree *and* a proven ability to deliver on committed timelines.

They've had good technical and thought leadership, no doubt. What they haven't had is good project management, the ability to meet deadlines, or a mature and comprehensively documented SDK sufficient to on-board a critical mass of 3rd party developers.

In my head, as a dApp platform, it will literally come down to 3rd party development hitting a critical mass of utility as the benchmark by which ADA and its direct competitors will be judged.

They've had 5 years to achieve something, anything, in that space. As of today they have 0 projects deployed. DOT has Kusama alone which is far more impactful than anything that they'll be able to get traction and deliver on in the ADA space in 2021/2022 imo.

I've held plenty ADA in the past. As a buy and hold in Q3 2021 it gives me pause for thought given whats on the landscape from competing teams with equivalent pedigree *and* a proven ability to deliver on committed timelines.

Where do you see it going?

Where do you see it going?

I wouldn't like to say, but I ultimately don't think it will recover after the next market downturn. Its marketcap, brand awareness, and first mover advantage are the only things keeping it where it is atm - and the first run on the price in the post EIP-1559 deployed world will show how much the correlation/elasticity with ETH and the constituent eco-system will suffer if it isn't perceived as having utility.

As far as I can see, its only utility is as a dApp platform. It doesn't matter if its technically superior if they can't get SDK and the onboarding funnel sorted to the point where they can harness organic developer growth. Its the same problem that has sunk many a 'technically superior' games console with no library due to lack of incentive to learn its intricacies.

Ethereum, in context, is doing some serious low-end OpCode optimisations and security patches outside of the imminent sharding/rollup and various other TPS benefits they're pushing. This allows the network to be imminently scalable and to harness high-availability failover benefits without dependencies on third party utilities, or offloading to one of the various oracle tokens. And with the gas and TX costs sorted as a parallel issues, ETH is primed for absolute take-off and already has 100s of dApps and community hosted resources and tutorials.

Think of Ethereum as the Raspberry Pi, and you can pick your own equivalent tokens for roughly similar competitors with unique USPs and use-cases in the same space - arduino, atmega boards etc...

You can buy a technically far superior 'Banana Pi' or other system on a chip style development board, but you'll be able to harness ****-all value out of sketchy/chinese development documentations, a lack of onboarding and tutorial resources, and a general disinterest in a 'dead on arrival' ecosystem.

In my opinion, ADA is the Banana Pi in this scenario. They're undeniably interesting from a technical perspective, but they've a community based project with no community - and a capital value that is based purely on sentiment. This is then exacerbated by a team disinterested in doing much to maintain sentiment, and thus value, whilst continuing down a path of lofty technical ambitions where, historically, their reach has demonstrably exceeded their grasp.

This is why I'm still particularly hot on things like XLM/Stellar which, despite its inherently charitable and non-speculative goal as a remittance currency, is backed by an absolutely superb foundation and technical/delivery management. For something almost never talked about, it has done wonderfully year on year and their codebase has been forked for multiple scammy/scalable projects like Ripple and Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭quinneerr

King śhit coin getting a bit of good news?
    https://twitter.com/Grayscale/status/1410945111597498369

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭quinneerr

I’m jumping into crypto again after major ethereum regrets. I’m going heavy into ADA and hodling forever, might even throw away my records of passwords.

Curious as to why you think ADA is worth a long term hold, the numbers are not looking good to me. Max supply does not leave room for price growth IMO
    ada.png

Axon/Cellebrite, a handful of *NIX and cloud computing software providers, Tilray pre-legalisation, some would say AirBnb, Workday and a couple of other brandnames like that.

This allows the network to be imminently scalable and to harness high-availability failover benefits without dependencies on third party utilities, or offloading to one of the various oracle tokens.

I was incredulous when i read this, pioneerpro on the road to damascus!
    As we know there is only one oracle worth talking about, so far ahead it has won the race before it has really started, Chainlink!
    Give it time and you will see LINK is even more important than your current understanding allows.
    In time you will come around to ROSE as well.

I was incredulous when i read this, pioneerpro on the road to damascus!
    As we know there is only one oracle worth talking about, so far ahead it has won the race before it has really started, Chainlink!
    Give it time and you will see LINK is even more important than your current understanding allows.
    In time you will come around to ROSE as well.

You missed the 'without' bit.

You also seemed to think I was a high-school student from Australia, so fair enough that comprehension isn't your strong point :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are your Ethereum regrets out of curiosity? Unless you got very unlucky with an entry in April/May this year you should be quids in?

Advertisement