Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai conspire to ignore thousands of reported crimes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well we do know why calls were cancelled and not responded to - if you had of read the report you would know that.

Assault Causing Harm 7 Assault Minor 56 Breach of Barring Order 5 Breach of Interim Barring Order 7 Breach of Protection Order 8 Breach of Safety Order 14 Criminal Damage (Not by Fire) 6 Intoxicated Driving a Vehicle 1 Menacing Phone Calls 1 Murder - Threats to Kill or Cause Serious Harm 2 Possession of Offensive Weapon 1 Public Order Offences 1 Public Mischief & Similar Offences 1 Rape of a Female 1 Sexual Assault 1 Theft (Other) 2 Total Crime Reports 114

Thats the full list of crimes they found that were not investigated properly by Gardai, a total of 114. Are you claiming that all of them were hoax calls or what is your explanation for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

And how would we ever know if they aren't looked into? Thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭katherineconlan

Not to go too off topic but does anyone know what 'Attention and Complaints' means in regards to a crime committed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry, I went looking but can't find the report. Do you have a link? I didn't realise it was finalised yet.

@katherineconlan Attention and complains are the category for non-Garda matters, ie: civil disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭katherineconlan

Would harassment be classified as a civil or criminal matter?

Harassment is an offence under Section 10 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person act, 1997.

Look that up to see if it qualifies.

Yes, but it has to be proven to be consistent to constitute harassment. Proofs are hard in these cases unless the victim has good records, messages, videos, etc.

@Muahahaha lemme know when the full report is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I heard this the other day on the radio

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22043633/

I don't understand why there's now an issue with Mr. Penman listening to any of these calls, as I recall Bob Collins (Policing Authority) said he listened to some of these calls earlier this year in Galway I think he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Sunday Independent had a article yesterday on this story again, I seem to have missed a few twists and turns in to story, but anyway Penman will finally now get to hear the calls.

Morning Ireland on RTE Radio 1 mentioned the cancelled calls this morning in relation to domestic violence see below.

Interesting article by John Mooney in the Sunday Times on the investigation of corrupt Gardai operating in Dublin. A summary of the allegations-

-Gardai are working with organised criminals who set up hoax property raids for them, money and drugs was left for the Gardai as bribes

-Gardai were also colluding with organised criminals to set up, entrap, arrest and prosecute low level drug dealers. All their prosecutions over the last few years are now being audited by detectives

-Garda were extorting food delivery drivers for money on the job and also raided their apartments. Small quantities of cocaine and cannibis were retrieved but were never logged by the Gardai as evidence

-Gardai both forged search warrants and also got them under false pretenses by lying to a peace commissioner who signed them off

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/389dbc5a-ce51-11ec-8423-5db7bbe7a364?shareToken=206a61436c3f15be85d456bfb3377b5b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Crazy that it takes journalists from a foreign newspaper to report these things. Few bad apples, nothing to see here brigade will be along soon to defend their (former) colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well, as has been shown before, none of their "colleagues" in the Irish based media will report on these kind of things. Far easier to turn a blind eye and follow the official narrative, whatever that might be. Then later on, they can angle themselves for a government advisor job.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Muahahaha, cheers for the link. I signed up for a years subscription, at €5 a month for 12 months, that's a steal, especially to read the news that Irish publications actively avoid.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

yeah its a good publication and well worth the fiver a month. Plus John Mooney always has his finger on the pulse of what is going on inside the Gardai, his sources go right to the top and if he is saying that things are serious with this latest corruption case then you can take it as gospel that they are.

I still cant believe Gardai were shaking down and extorting Brazilian Deliveroo riders. These people are working hard in a dangerous job for buttons. There has been dozens of assaults against them, bikes and phones stolen on them and one of their number was killed in a hit and run on the north quays in Dublin not too long ago. Within the Brazilian community they complain that the Gardai dont care when crimes against them are reported. And now to hear allegations of Gardai extorting them on top of all of that, its unreal. They probably thought they had seen the end of corrupt police when they left Brazil and then they move here to see more of the same.

Crappy people do crappy things. Some of them happen to be Gardai. Some happen to be politicians. Most are just crappy people. Prosecute the hell out of them, send them away for years and years, send a message to the rest. But, it's not all 10.5k+ of them. I think you'll find the people who are pro-Gardai are also the same people who want these ones out too. But we also understand it's not each and every one of them, which the anti-Gardai brigade will have you believe.

As an ex-member, I would not attempt to cover for these criminals. But amazingly, they do this without the knowledge of every other member. Maybe they disconnect their Garda-specific telepathy so the rest of the serving members can't see what they're up to. Management will have to up the sensory scrying training.

Why are bodycams not a thing yet?!

Ah here, you might have gotten away with that bollix if this was a one off isolated incident. We’ve had near constant scandals involving AGS for the past decade plus. It’s more than a few bad apples, it seems to be an institutional issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Reading between the lines, they're extorting drug dealers. Like 'the ice-cream wars' in Glasgow, dealers here have learned that dealing under the guise of legitimate business keeps them under the radar. Deliveroo drivers regularly hand over a bag in the street to a customer and are handed money in exchange and nobody bats and eye lid at the transaction because it's normal and expected, it's a great cover for dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Like a lot of institutions in Ireland reforming it would be near impossible, better to set up a second force, hand over street patrolling in a phased basis then go from there.

I know myself what the Gardai's attitude to crime is. I phoned up to tell them about a car being set on fire, (literally 5 seconds from a main road) but they were far more concerned about all my details rather than have a car just spin past. Mate was left hospitalised in an unprovoked attack with witnesses, Gardai just straight up lied and shrugged and said there was no CCTV. Same guys killed someone a month or 2 later. Same guys regularly had undercover lads around for an hour or two a few times a week. Well, undercover or off the clock, who knows? That house had a lot of CCTV let's just say.

Of the calls I'm sure a percentage were time-wasters, some were mistakes and a lot were borderline-malicious laziness. Trouble is that it'll be dismissed off-hand, then when bits are shown to be true it's handwaved away again and years later more comes out and it's "too late" to do anything except have an inquiry so the legal lads can get a few million out of it and nothing changes.

It's one big boys club. Civilians are just an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Rarely in my lifetime have I got a timely response to emergency calls to the Garda.

I'm not alone there was massive turnout from people when there was a local meeting about it. When you ring they say they have no resources, but at the meeting they claimed that wasn't true and at there meeting there must have been 5+ Garda. So I dunno who was covering them at this time.

I'd love to know how they audit their calls records. Cancelling calls in these numbers should stand out like a sore thumb.

Currently over 14,500 members, a lot have retired or resigned in the last 10 years. That's a lot of Gardai. It's constant because that's what you're reading. There are no articles out there covering the other thousands of incidents they deal with each year. But please do continue to tar them all with the same brush.

As long as they continue to be a law unto themselves I will 100% continue to judge them.

I've read very few stories about cops actually reporting other cops, other than Maurice McCabe. Strange that with so many straight as an arrow, by the book, good apples in AGS, that they don’t seem to see any of the criminality the “bad apples” get up to.

Maybe crime detection isn’t for them??

This may be shocking, but people who commit crime usually try to hide it. Garda or not. See: literally any report of a person committing a crime and people saying "that's not like them".

Oh, and judge away. Just don't tar them all the same, because they're not. Common sense will show that, because if they were all as bad as people on here claim, then Ireland would be worse than South Africa.

No one in the thread has claimed that every Garda is a bad apple, thats just a figment of your imagination that you keep repeating on here. If Im wrong you will have no problems quoting the post where someone said that the entire force is corrupt.

And you'd do well to remember these same people who are 'pro-Gardai' are the same people who smeared Maurice McCabe as a paedo. Where were all the straight laced Gardai coming to his defence? Completely missing in action and preferring to spread completely false rumours about him. It was a shameful episode and said a lot about the force, as Judge Morris said its always about loyalty over honesty when it comes to the institution of the Gardai..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I know Gardai feel helpless when they see criminals walk scot-free or know there is no consequence for the actions of petty criminals especially and often the government only wants metrics that show them in the best light. ignoring crimes makes the bean counters look as if they are being useful

I have dealt with gardai could not have been more helpful, and also some who you felt could not care less which is sad but in some cases, you can understand how they get disillusioned seeing people who they have captured and arrested walking free often openly taunting them.

But they should care! The government won't act or fund them giving them tools and personnel to do their job if stats don't reflect crime numbers.

Advertisement