Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interesting to see Minamino take Ox's place in the Bobby role with the first choice forwards. Wonder if Taki has overtaken Ox to start the season.

Decent half, despite conceding 2. Poor auld Caoimhin didn't cover himself in glory - not clangers or even mistakes, but could've maybe done better. I'm not sure Ali concedes either.

Naby excellent again, and Mane and Salah starting to look sharper. Tsimikas good again too, as was Konate, who looks so good on the ball and nearly as calm and composed as Virg throughout.

Taki took his goal well, but was otherwise frustrating... feels like he's never gonna win a 50/50, and his passing was always just a bit off.

Elliott decent enough in midfield, would've liked to see him in Taki's position actually to see how he'd cope.

<edit> 5 minutes into the second half, and a marked and instant improvement in our play for having Ox in for Taki, and Jones in for Elliott. Huge difference.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Nice to see the two lads back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

First kick of the ball they've had in the 2nd half and they score from it. Jovetic evading both Nat and Neco to steal in for a goal.

Game's been a bit like that. We've played really well but are 3-2 down to 3 softish goals.

Virgil & Joe on at the 68 minute mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

VVD and Gomez on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

That Gordon lad... he's only 16 isn't he? He has the off the ball movement of a senior player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Slightly less glorious was Jovetic putting VVD on his ass to score their 4th. Going to have to be patient while they get back up to match pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Ox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone expecting VVD to be top of his game straight away after a year out is going to be very disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We've two more games before the start of the season against Bilbao and Osasuna at Anfield.

We've a bit more time to get up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

He's a good player alright, Liverpool were interested in him when he left Barcelona as a youth player. I don't think Leipzig will be ready to sell him yet, Jesse Marsch would probably have a fit if the club sold another quality player before he gets an opportunity to work with them. When they're ready to move Olmo on it will be for silly money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure if posted but James Milner had the Champions League parade bus stop outside the house of Andrew Devine (RIP) so they could show him the trophy, what a nice moment for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

We've got two 60 minute games on the same day against Bologna next week in Evian. An hours break in between each game.

TAA signs a new contract to 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great that Trent is signed up. He always seems like he will be a lifer but this just confirms he is committed to the club for a few more years. Every club in the world would have him if they could. But Liverpool have him.

In the whole summer transfer stuff, what was interesting is that no journo or ITK or whatever had any sort of a hint of this. So that just shoes exactly how much insight they really have.

They reported it alright, have been a fair few stories all summer that there was a big focus on getting a few long term futures sorted, mentioning Trent, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Alisson, and Salah most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We're clearly in a tricky position transfer wise.

It is very difficult to think of signing any significant improvements for the starting 11.

It's not "like a new signing" or whatever, but when you go down the squad, Alisson, Trent, Fabinho, Salah, etc, who the club are looking to give new deals, are better than anyone we're likely to sign in their place.

The trick isn't improving this team. It's about as good a team as we're likely to get, ever. The trick is transitioning this squad over the next 3-5 years. I'd like us to get started on that now, but this isn't the break glass in case of emergency summer. That said, the closer it gets to that point, the less wiggle room we have in terms of success or failure of signings, and the more we'll be likely to get bent over on big deals.

I think, in order to maximise our chances at another go at the title and the CL, we should get a midfielder in at least, but I'd still be pretty bullish about our chances if this squad is the one we end up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My main concern transfer wise is this is the fourth season we are going into entirely dependent on the front three to produce the goods. While they've largely remained injury free all of them have more miles on the clock now making injures more likely. Then there is the form concern, Bobby had a sizeable drop in form in the second half of last season and Mane wasnt hitting his usual numbers either.

Given Klopp hates buying in January I had thought this would be the window that the problem began to get addressed. Its not looking likely though meaning its pushed out until summer 2022. I think thats a mistake as we cant depend on Origi or Shaq and certainly not at the business end of the season against top teams in the CL. Putting all our chips on the three lads yet again with no viable competition for them or replacements if they get injured is a risky move imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well yeah, you're right then in that they were reporting about the wider group of players in line for new deals this year. A bit vague.

What I meant is that none were specifically saying a week or so ago that Trent would be signing a new deal soon. In a way, it kind of came from nothing, no hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

The new boards is weird

Yeah, I think this is the summer to take one or two risks, like Minamino was. We have a little bit of time on our side, so it'd be a good time to buy maybe a young forward, and a young midfielder, and see how they settle in. Because, as you say, if we leave it much longer we'll be in a position where we have to sign certainty's as there'll be no room for error. Being a bit smart up front could save us a lot of money in the longer run, and free up some cash to put towards the couple of 'certaintys' we'll need.

I mean, we knew they were in talks with him on a new deal this summer, that'd been reported. But yeah, there wasn't a "this deal is almost done" announcement just before it got done. I wouldn't put it in the same class as something like Fabinho for "noone knows anything" though, in that they all knew it was happening, just not the exact timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well we do have Jota as a decent fourth for the front line. I'd hope will continue his pre-injury form as well.

Pearce reporting that 6 more contract renewals should be done in the coming weeks.

Ali, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Mane & Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Spine of the team, very important.

No Hendo though, not surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd want to see a marked improvement in Sadio before offering him anything. He certainly didn't earn any contract revision last season, unless it's to reduce his T&Cs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

We really do need an energetic midfielder and a forward.

All fergies top teams had 2 very good strikers on the bench to change things. We've currently got one and missed him for a long period last year

We also have Origi and Shaq who are nowhere near the level needed.

Gini is a huge loss. He could play a lot of positions and never missed a game. His fitness is gonna be very hard to replace. I like Jones and he might be a starter in another year but at the moment, isn't good enough to start 30 league games a season for a team challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

If that’s the case, you would question pretty much half the team as last season was dreadful all around. I would nearly forget last season for the whole PL as a weird anomaly. Yes Sadio was poor last season but we didn’t play the same setup and he didn’t get the same supply.

New contract is fine for the team as a whole but not massively long term. We need new blood to give the team some much needed depth to get over injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I agree with your post but we have Jota at least:)

Confirmation if needed that Roberto Firmino will be the first of the front three moved on. There was a time when he was considered the most important player in the forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Firmino is under contract until 2023 apparently, they could well sell him in 2022 and cash in, not sure how much he will be worth then or will he simply run his contract down?

To be fair to the players they need to get a run of games in the team so they can develop some form. Our attacking play was brutal for periods of time last season and the manager did nothing to change things up. Introducing Origi for a minute at the end of a game when Firmino was off the pace for a large part of it doesn't inspire confidence in a player. Shaqiri got similar treatment last season, the game away to Newcastle particularly comes to mind, 0-0 in stoppage time and Klopp replaced Salah with Shaqiri to waste a few more seconds.

The squad management was particularly poor last season. Oxlade-Chamberlain wasn't eased back into things after returning from injury. He probably got 20 minutes as substitute in the Crystal Palace and West Brom games before being thrown into the **** storm that was the Southampton debacle, was dropped for the next game against Man Utd and shunted out to the wing for the game against Burnley. He didn't have the match fitness in his legs and was reduced to cameo appearances for the remainder of the season. I'm interested to see whether van Dijk is eased back into things this season or will Klopp just drop him back into the line-up from a particular date.

Post edited by Talisman on

Mane and Salah are also under contract until 2023, they're on the list of renewals and Firmino is not. I think he'll be moved on next summer, he'll be 30 years old and still have some mileage in his legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Makes the most sense. He still has lots to offer us but no harm seeing Jota get more game time and see how Ox does in that role too.

Ali, Fab & Bobby will join up with the squad tomorrow for preseason in Evian.

That just leaves Hendo to return and he can't be far away as the Copa final and Euro final were on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs all need first teamers, but I look at Liverpool and I have no idea who would make the team. I can see why we're not spending big at the minute, maybe a few bench warmers will leave, and we'll buy a someone to replace them, and turn a profit doing it, but I don't see us spending 130m on anyone to go into the team, there is simply no one to drop when squad is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Because every successful team needs a bit of refreshing.

United are playing catchup due to years of dodgy recruitment, hence the spending on 2 players to go straight into the team, following last summer when Maguire and Wan Bissaka came straight into the first team.

City are City. They don't need first teamers, but they always refresh. Plus, Pep tends to get the deck stacked in his favour anyway, so he'll likely get Grealish, and probably Kane.

Chelsea always spend. No surprise there.

Spurs aren't part of the same conversation. They're in the next tier down with the likes of Arsenal and Everton.

Konate was needed, but we need reinforcements and refreshment in midfield, and a Jota style signing in attack.

The scouting department has a new recruit, Russ Richardson. Unearthing British gems in the lower leagues was his thing at Aberdeen for the past 8 years.

It looks like recruiting and developing homegrown British talent cheaply rather than shelling out millions on the likes of Kaide Gordon will be a more serious revenue stream for the club.

• Advertisement

Strange decision to have no friendly over this weekend and then to have two games next Sunday and Monday.

I'd say it's done with the bunch of Copa/Euros players that just came back in mind. This gives them about week to get up to speed in-camp, before those two 1-hour matches next Thursday. In reality, the preseason friendlies are the least important part of preseason as far as team prep goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Just seeing can i still post with the new site lay out. Edit

Who was better Vladimír Šmicer or Patrik Berger

Yes but still could've had a game today for the rest of the squad and not forgetting the supporters. ;)

Smicer had his glorious Champions League final moment, but Berger was a much better footballer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

What’s the story with this place now? It’s depressing how dead it is. Is there any way back for the boards soccer forum?

I don’t understand why they don’t move it out of this groups nonsense into a regular forum for a start so threads can show up on the main page and gather a bit of interest.

Would be a shame for this place to just wither on the vine. The Reddit format of there being a separate thread for every tiny item isn’t great and it’s good to have a Liverpool forum with an Irish angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This separate group is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This new boards is a joke.

Are there any Irish alternatives for LFC news and chat?

Think we’ll have a better sense of things when something’s actually happening… football news generally is just dead right now anyway, so it’s a bit hard to tell how much of the quietness is the boards move and how much is there just being so little to talk about.

The Villa, Utd, and Arsenal threads for instance seem to have a decent bit of charted going on, since they actually have a few bits of news to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Pat. Every day of the week. Vlad scored that goal alright, but Berger was just better. (also checking if I can still post good)

• Advertisement
Advertisement