Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Phillips to Leeds potentially. He deserves a move so I hope it gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

______Allison______

__Konate_VVD_Robertson_

_______Barella________

___Trent_____Mac Allister__

______Gakpo_______

Salah________Diaz_

______Nunez_______

Kill em that way

Sergino Dest would be a cheap right back, he maybe needs the Klopp influence in his career, potential not filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Gravenbach wanting to stay in Germany for another year.

Nice wanting to keep Thuram for another year.

I don't think there will be anyone coming in before pre-season and a frustrating end to transfer market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't think Diaz is a flop, but, his end product does need to improve, both goals and assists. As for new signings we need at absolute minimum another midfielder and a defender, if we can get a third midfielder that would be great, all signings also need to be ready for first team action not youngsters with potential like Ramsey and Carvalho last summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Money talks. If Liverpool want either they will have to pay the asking price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If money talks, I reckon FSG have a speech impediment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A lot depends on if Klopp is going to play Trent in midfield this year or not, if he does we need one more midfielder starting quality and one RB starting quality, if Trent is to play RB this year we need two more starters in midfield.

Thats the minimum we need to compete IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The more I see of him the more I think he's not worth the trouble. Very fond of an interview it seems.

Yeah that sounds about right. If we are only signing one more midfielder, regardless of Trent’s position next season, it really needs to be someone a statement signing, a player who’d instantly be our best midfielder. That’s the minimum it’d take for us to compete at the top end of the league again.

No disrespect to Alexis, he’ll bring some good qualities to the side but there are problems in our midfield that he can’t solve.

I think a top midfield signing as well as a utility player that can cover at right back would be ideal in this window. But if we’re being cheap and only signing one more, Marcos Llorente ticks all three of those boxes and Atletico are rumoured to be willing to listen to offers for him.

I think we need two defenders. Matip and Gomez cannot be relied upon and neither Williams or Phillips will be called upon unless there is absolutely nobody else available to cover van Dijk and Konate.

Romano said recently that the club turned down the opportunity of signing Evan N'Dicka on a free transfer so presumably there is a better option in the pipeline. The speculation regarding Inacio and van de Ven has died down in the last week or so.

If Phillips does finally leave then we are going to be reduced to 6 homegrown players in the squad (Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Williams, Henderson, Jones). That will be a costly gap to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

god that first paragraph reads more like a description of Diaz to me!

Again, agree with your other post greater header, dynamic, almost infectious but needs to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, i know what you mean. They're like two sides of the same coin - very similar attributes, but Mane always liked to make play narrower and be closer to goal while Diaz is a more pure winger. I think it's a case of Diaz being on the up, and Mane being on the way down, and for me - in general play - Diaz has just passed out Mane for effectiveness in taking people on and causing problems on the left. Still definitely has to improve his timing of when to go, and when to play a quicker ball inside, and to also score more goals.

We've great options of different types up front now at least, so can adapt pretty well to the circumstances of any given game. Think we'll see a lot of strategic changes during games in that front 3, giving the opposition different problems as the game goes on, and keeping everyone fresh - except Mo, who will probably play on the right come rain hail or shine week in week out 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I burst out laughing when I read this in the BBC gossip column this morning:

Liverpool are ready to rival Real Madrid in trying to sign Paris St-Germain's France forward Kylian Mbappe, 24, with a bid of more than 300m euros (£258m), according to Fifa agent Marco Kirdemir. (Marca)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I like Diaz, but he needs to stop blatantly overreacting to the slightest little touch.

It’s mad how Arsenal, after 1 good season, are trying to get Havertz for £60m and Rice for £100m. What are we doing? Getting MacCallister because a) he’s a good player, but most likely b) he had a low buy out clause as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

After 1 good season they're massively overpaying for both players if the prices are correct.

Rice is a good player but he's worth about £50/60m max. Havertz is a £30m player. Both might turn out to be value in years to come if they win a few leagues/trophies but neither player is worth what the selling clubs want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think Havertz has been played out of position at Chelsea, but I agree, too much money.

But my point is, do we have the money?

Another homegrown player is off. Rhys Williams has gone to Aberdeen on loan.

I wonder if it will mean that Van den Berg isn't going back on loan to Schalke.

• Advertisement

This would be an excellent signing. Didn't think we'd be in for him though.

The point is how come Arsenal without CL football for the last 5 or 6 seasons and after one good season are even able to pay that kind of money. We've been in the CL, reached 3 finals, won a league and CL, yet Arsenal have outspent us during that time and are going to spend way more than us again this season. There is no way we can expect to compete if we can't even match Arsenal's spending, let alone City, Newcastle, Chelsea or United. Why is Liverpool unable to match the spending power of teams who don't have oil money and haven't had CL money rolling in?

Arsenal finished paying off their stadium in the last few years so they had spare cash.

It's no just Arsenal, Spurs who have built a billion pound stadium have a higher net spend than us over the last 5 years, other clubs who aren't even in Europe are outspending us, I don't care that they have spent that money poorly, the fact is they had the money to spend in the first place. We have just had our most successful period in over 30 years, yet there's a host of clubs with no little to no European football and no oil money consistently outspending us. All these other clubs have to pay wages too, and wouldn't have the same income as we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool are just not spending for the sake of spending that is what is happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

My thoughts exactly.

It really shows the mentality of the two clubs. Remove the state backed clubs who play by their own rules and it highlights just how miserly we've been. FSG really need to sh*t or get off the pot at this stage.

Liverpool behave like a small club when we're one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Don't get too excited, it could just be a ploy by the player's agent. There has been reports of negotiations on a new contract which will have the €70M release clause removed.

Also Ornstein likes to create a headline when there is no substance to a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Advertisement

Mateusz Musialowski is 19, surely if you're good enough age is not an issue, why label him the Polish Messi, but never give him a chance. Surely a loan to someone needs to happen this summer.

Holding his size against him is silly, considering Messi himself is 3ft nothing

He was supposed to go out on loan last season, but signing a contract extension was a condition of doing so. He didn't take the offer and his contract expires in 2024. I doubt the club are inclined to utilise him if he has no intention of staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Ornstein knows his stuff. The talk is that the player has a €70m release clause but that it expires this month. So you'd have to wonder if Liverpool are willing to pay that and eliminate the risk of the price going up, or will they try and negotiate it down.

I’ll be honest, I’m not thrilled to see us linked with another attacking midfielder who can’t defend very well. I’ve seen Szoboszlai play and while there’s no doubt he’s excellent, he’s another Coutinho. A number 10 style player who usually gets stuck out on the wing because he has no defensive presence whatsoever.

If we were to sign him to complement an already solid midfield, I’d feel differently about it, but we’re still nowhere near that.

I can’t imagine there’s any truth to it, probably some journo with a vested interest trying to lure a bid from another big club.

I was impressed with him in the two internationals against England in 2022. His pressing and energy levels in both games made Rice, Bellingham, Mount and Phillips all look like geriatric Fabinho.

He has the attributes that Klopp would want in a midfielder and moulding him into a more defensively responsible role than that which he currently plays would be a given. A similar thing is likely to happen with how Mac Allister will play.

Szoboszlai was also made captain of Hungary last year which is another factor that our scouting team consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Arsenal wages was something like £200m in 2021-22 and ours £360m. Their revenue will have gone up due to CL football next season and ours will go down. Now their wages will go up and ours down, but that is essentially why they can seemingly spend so much and we are not able to. We have one of the highest wage bills in world football, but that doesn't seem to come into consideration when it comes to the clubs finances.

Why not just buy a player with the defensive attributes to begin with, rather than moulding him, if we're paying 70 million for him, we shouldn't have to mould him or any player, they should be able to do what's required and be able to play in a few positions.

We are just not spending; spending for the sake of spending is what Chelsea are at, a scatter gun approach. We should be able to match Spurs level of spending over the last 5 years for example, (or even Aston Villa 's net spend) maybe if we had we'd still be in the CL now, you know possibly have reinforced our non existant midfield last summer!

Harvey Elliot showing shades of Michael Owen without the lightning pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Harvey Elliott has massive potential. Third most exciting teenager the club has had this century in my opinion (after Raheem and Trent). Fourth if you include Gerrard who is borderline age wise!

Klopp clearly loves him. 46 appearances last season at 19 years of age.

I think he’s the reason we won’t sign an attacking player like Szoboszlai. Could be proved wrong on that point of course!

We've got an experienced front 5 of Salah, Darwin, Diaz, Gakpo and Jota with Elliott as back up. That’s good enough to compete.

One more top midfielder and defender and we’re in pretty good shape. Two more midfielders required if Klopp doesn’t think Bajcetic is ready.

• Advertisement

Bit part player in reality, lots of appearances, low minutes, disappeared out of the team after a few games, no progress, hasn't the determination to take a game by the throat like a Gerrard. He seems happy to look tidy, then pass the ball off to someone else, thinks its someone else's job to win the game, at this level you need goals and assists if you're going to occupy the ''De Bruyne '' spot in our midfield, Elliott scored 1 league goal, and had two assists . Good player, but is he Liverpool level.. does he get in the City team, not a chance.

I hope we introduce some young talent into the team, someone at the club can step up surely

Maddison in last year of contract goes to Spurs for 45m , dam, such a poor deal, and an average player at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

A ‘bit part player’ who at 19 was better last season than Carvalho, Ox, Keita, probably even Henderson.

People here are clamouring for us to sign players like Thuram and Kone. Elliott is the €40 million midfielder we have at home (we definitely wouldn’t sell him for less!). Doesn’t get the appreciation he deserves I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wonder what you see that Jurgen Klopp isn't qualified to see?

Played the 9th most minutes in the squad... kinda by default anyone in the top 11-by-minutes is a regular player.

He's not the finished article yet, but as a fella just turned 20 he's pretty impressive. Age is a huge factor... the fact he's so young almost does him a disservice because he gets so much of a spotlight on him, when most players of his age are nowhere near that level. This season he played twice the number of premier league minutes that Fodan did the season he was the same age, and a wee bit more than what Declan Rice did when he was 19 (he made his breakthrough to nailed on starter the following year). And these are all outliers for their talent at that age - most lads that age don't come close to these numbers.

Let's just leave him develop and grow over the next few years. I don't want to see him as a first 11 player next season, as I want us to have signed more senior experienced options, but he's a terrific young option to have on the bench. Exactly what you want from squad players really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Come on now... What have you done with the real Toby? I can't remember him ever being so negative and there's been some clangers the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Now that I see the replies, maybe he's just using a different form of bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Eh, cos their owner is loaded and fancies spending some money and FFP is not a thing. I don't see where your confusion is coming from tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement