Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Benzema , if Real got Mbappe would be a great asset . The guy has played 50 games a season for last 14 seasons, he's like a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

From what we saw Berger had more skill to his game but probably didn't reach his potential. Smicer was apparently the classic does it in training but can't hit the same level on the pitch, still worked hard but also likely didn't hit his potential.

Berger had the more 'highlights' to his time at Liverpool, plenty of long range goals and great assists but Smicer has his goal and peno in Instanbul.

Not much between them really but Smicer is a head in fondness stakes because of 05. Both represent that mid 90s to early 2000s Liverpool, talented but didn't live up to their potential while still picking up cups along the way.

Liverpool had some quality English players at the time, Redknapp, McManaman, Fowler and Owen all at the club during that 8-10 years. All but McManaman where destroyed by injuries by the their early to mid 20s. Rob Jones could probably be included in that list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Berger. Better haircut as well.

Have to say I hate the new Boards setup. Just awful to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m indifferent to the new format really. There isn’t a huge amount of LFC stuff to talk about at the moment. Which I’m finding more frustrating. Need a signing. Someone exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

New boards is absolutely rubbish for Mobile users imo,have used it feck all since the change,and can see many old posters have dissapeared,so for the LFC chat I can say this is not the place for me anymore,shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have barely used Boards since the change. Whole thing just feels less user friendly than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I'm of the growing opinion that boards have shot themselves in the foot with this change. Its just not great is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Using it on mobile and finding very little difference really. I've all my favourite forums saved on Chrome so it's the same as before for me.

Nothing really to talk about Liverpool wise so thats why it's quiet to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

We've got two games against Bologna on Thursday too. 60 minutes each.

Also, new boards is sh!te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I saw a lot of posters in the feedback thread saying someone set up a new alternative to Boards closer to the former layout, I wasn't crawling through hundreds of posts to find the name for it yet as the last few attempts to do this over the years turned into a sh1t show of bitching about Boards.ie and it's users and Mods.

Though I might soon enough as this format is just horrible and not user friendly at all.

Listening to Pearce on the Liverpool Athletic podcast today he said he was told Liverpool will only bring in a forward if they can get rid of Shaq & Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Oh ok I didn't see anything about Bologna when I googled Liverpool fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think its ****

Find myself spending less and less time on boards as well...has anything actually been fixed in the 3+ weeks since they 'upgraded'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Just wait for the first melt down Monday after we lose a game following not rotating after a dead rubber CL game. This place will be abuzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Took a glance over there, and recognising a few of the posters names was enough to turn me right around and give up on that one. That, and their far looser moderation makes me think it’s a soccer forum all set up to turn pretty toxic pretty fast..

Boards in general has def taken a backward step alright, in that I randomly look around the forum less - but with soccer bookmarked, i don’t really see any major difference to my experience here specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Berger was the better all round player for Liverpool, CL final apart, Smicer's time at Liverpool was disappointing

Jonathan David is being linked tonight as Lille are looking to sell him and others in the team.

I don't know if this is because he was linked heavily last summer and 2+2=5

A quick look and it looks like it's a lot of ex (or banned?) users from here, and from other forums. Doubt boards will care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I find it fine - no bitching yet, its nice and fresh. Ill use both but over there seems nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Long time lurker here, but christ that was hard to find this channel. Must have took 20 mins.

Anyway, very worried for this season. One addition so far and doesn't look too promising for many more.

City, United and Chelsea all strengthened. It feels like history repeating itself from our last league win when we didn't invest enough to kick on. FSG as much as they have done run it as a business and spending millions to advance just doesn't seem to be on their agenda.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Man City's have only signed Scott Carson on a free transfer. Aguero is gone and as of yet hasn't been replaced. For all the talk of them signing Grealish and Kane nothing has happened yet and the new season begins in 10 days. They have yet to strengthen their team.

Chelsea have also signed a goalkeeper on a free transfer and moved on a few players on the fringes of the squad but they have yet to make a real signing.

Man Utd are a work in progress and have yet to make a signing that will transform their midfield.

Liverpool have fixed the hole in the squad created when Dejan Lovren wasn't replaced last year. Wijnaldum is a big loss but Curtis Jones is a year older and we also have Harvey Elliott on the fringes of the squad. Barring a major injury crisis everyone knows that we have a squad to challenge for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I still think we need someone up front to freshen things up a bit and give us a plan B.

Its was the drop in form post Christmas up front that screwed us over as much as any injury crisis, and we only had one injured striker, which is more likely than not to happen.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We need another top class Midfielder & attacker,

I'd love us to get an actually proper number 9 as we don't have one in the squad,

Gini must be replaced at all costs he was in every squad bar one Carling cup game & is a big presence in the squad that need to be replaced ,

Saul would be perfect,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Apparently Salah has been offered a whopper contract to stay another 4 year's...

I have no issues with that if true....

With the players due for contract renewals I'd want Salah, Fab, VVD tied down first then Robbo, Ali, Mane and finally Bobby & Hendo.

The middle segment of the season is when Klopp played our best available midfielders as defenders. Normal service resumed when he finally fielded actual central defenders in the position and the midfield was restored to what it should have been. Despite the upheaval the team finished the season in title winning form, 23 points in the last 9 games.

The transfer market this summer is a waiting game, if either Shaqiri or Origi is moved on then I would expect there to be a new signing introduced. The non-homegrown players situation has impeded the club's transfer business this summer and unless a reasonably priced homegrown player becomes available I don't see that changing.

For example, Aston Villa have had an offer for Southampton's Ward-Prowse rejected, Villa wouldn't be doing so if the player hadn't already been sounded out about the possibility of a move. If it gets to the situation where Southampton accept an offer then it would be reasonable to expect Liverpool to make a move. He's the club captain, has been ever present in the Southampton midfield for the past couple of seasons and is a goal threat from midfield. As good as Wijnaldum was for Liverpool in the same period, Ward-Prowse's stats put him in the shade. £35-40M for Ward-Prowse would be very good business for the club, Edwards could get a deal done for less I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea going for Lukaku, wonder would they be willing to cut their losses on Werner? I like what I saw up until scoring and I'm sure he just needs a bit of confidence there.

I don't get the Jack Grealish thing at all/ a guy who has played a handful of Premier League games, a guy who could not make the England team. Villa hoping, praying, that someone will bid 40m, and City are like 100M!!! TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

It's nuts. As for him as a person, not the type of personality I'd like at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

His stats for Villa winning with him on the pitch vs those games where he is missing/injured are amazing. He is also English so a star in the making, whether we believe it or not. That’s why he is 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The other site seems to be closer to this format that the old one , at least for mobile which is all i use.

They've been touting Werner to European clubs all summer. He has never struck me as an individual who believes in himself and Chelsea is the wrong fit for such an individual.

Klopp instills that kind of belief in players, Saido Mane is a good example. When he arrived Klopp always talked him up, emphasized what Mane brought to the team and his potential to be even better. Mane improved and Klopp went further saying that the only person at Liverpool that didn't believe Saido Mane was a world class player was Saido Mane. Mane delivered a performance level above what any of us expected and that was down to Klopp's management of the player. Now fans expect that higher level from him all of the time and are frustrated when it isn't there.

At Chelsea there is a big fanfare when players are signed but there doesn't seem to be the required support from the management team when players don't hit the ground running, instead they get shunted aside. Werner is just the latest player to have that experience. Both Lampard and afterwards Tuchel have been critical of the player. Their sound bites were about what he was doing wrong and what he needs to improve rarely talking about the good things he had done. That's not exactly confidence building for the player, Werner knows he has to improve his finishing, his approach play can be phenomenal but it's just that last piece that's lacking.

If Chelsea were willing to sell him to Liverpool for the reported £40M that he's available for it would be a massive signing for us but Shaqiri and Origi need to be moved on first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if they sold us timo and paid a third of his wages for that would be great .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For £40m Id bite their hand off for Werner, as Talisman said he would really benefit from some Klopp coaching and man management. The new offside rules this season will benefit him greatly, he scored 12 offside goals last season with many being VAR looking for reasons to strike them off. Now there has to be daylight between the players and he plays right on the shoulder of defenders. He is also very good at dragging defenders all over the place as well and creating space for others.

But Id say the chances of Chelsea selling him to us are slim to none, the two clubs rarely do business and Abramovich would prefer sell him for less money to a different club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah Chelsea have nothing to gain from selling him to us, but potentially a lot to lose. We won’t be the only club interested in Werner at £40m (if we are at all), he’ll likely move abroad if he doesn’t stay at Chelsea.

Completely agree about the mental aspect for Werner too. He’s clearly not the most confident or mentally tough player out there, you just have to look at what happened to him playing away against Besiktas a few years ago. Klopp could mould him into another Torres for us if he had the chance, but he won’t be joining us directly from Chelsea, I’d be quite sure of that. If he joins another club soon, it could happen down the line but we should have moved on from him by that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Another new contract with a key player tied down. Great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Agree with what you're saying Martyos.

Just out of curiosity, and hypothetically, is there anything to stop a club selling a player almost immediately after buying? Could we have an unofficial agreement with club X that if they buy Werner for 40m we'd instantly buy him for 45m? I know sell on fees etc complicate it but given it never happens I presume there's some sort of rule, is there...?

Great news on Fab’s new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The fact Chelsea can dispose of a big money signing like Werner says it all, they can take these risks and if it doesn't work out they can throw money at someone else. They did the same with their keeper.

Stamford Bridge is a real graveyard for strikers, Casiraghi, Crespo, Shevchenko, Torres, Kezman, Mutu, Lukaku, Falcao, Pato, Morata, Higuain, Batshuayi etc...

They have spent huge money under Abramovich on strikers and really only Drogba, Diego Costa and maybe Anelka were successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I often wondered that myself. I know there’s a rule about only being allowed to play for two teams in a season, but that wouldn’t be an issue in this hypothetical.

I remember something like that happened with Demichelis the summer he joined Man City, I think he had just signed for Atletico a few weeks prior from Malaga. I’m sure it’s possible, but almost never happens and I have no idea about this but I’d suspect it may fall foul of laws regarding collusion between companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Modern contracts have so much fine print that 99.9% of these loopholes are tied up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You can only register for 2 clubs per year,

it changed to 3 for a little while during Covid but its back at 2

Technically there isn't any reason a club couldn't sign a player and move him on immediately. The FIFA transfer regulations allow for a player to be registered with three clubs in a single season but they can only play for two of them.

When he left Liverpool in 2006, Dietmar Hamann signed for Bolton then had a change of heart and signed for Man City 48 hours later. Man City had to pay Bolton compensation for the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

When Atletico Madrid loaned Dani Pacheco from Liverpool with an option to buy, they immediately sent him on loan to a lower La Liga team. So his 2 registrations were with those club that season even though Liverpool owned the player.

Stats can be coincidental , depends who you're playing against. His goals and assists were against the worst of the worst teams. yet only 6 goals. The only thing that stands out is the freak result, 7-2 against us, where he scored 2, and assisted 3. Take that out of his stats and it's so so poor.

He didn't score or assist from Feb, to the end of season either

• Advertisement

Dominic King of The Mirror reporting this evening that Celtic, Sheff Utd & Bournemouth all looking to sign Ben Davies.

Sheff Utd have had a loan bid turned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

LFC TV interview with Fabinho after "signing da ting" as the twitterati say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah Mo flopped there too didn't he?

• Advertisement
Advertisement