Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think Baj is more of an 8 than a 6. He's a lot better when he has freedom to get around the park rather than being anchored in the 6 position.

Also, I wouldn't be against selling Thiago if it meant buying a starting 6 player. Someone of high quality that could replace Fab within a month or 2.

And we def need a CB. Hope I'm wrong but I can see this season being VVD last decent season. I just can't see him performing to the level required in the 24/25 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Vvd is a big worry for me also,he regressed alot last year imo , hopefully there is a decent season in him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

You have to love Sobo's cool confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think there will be another midfielder come in and a CB, the club want to see what happens in the rest of the window. Southampton might need the money and opportunity will open then for Lavia. The window is barely open so to have 2 midfielders in already, I'm happy for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The club might wait and see how we go in the first half of the season before deciding if they need to add a third midfielder in January. We may have lost 4 midfielders, but, Keita, Ox & Arthur didn't really contribute anything last season and Milner was on his last legs, the 2 new lads easily compensate for those 4. With Fab and Henderson getting a proper rest over the summer, Thiago fit (🤞🤞) for the start of season, Jones stepping up towards the end of the season, Bajcetic's emergence, plus Elliott, the club might feel we have enough to begin the season and see how it goes. We're certainly in a better position than going into last season. If we are to sign a new midfielder I'd imagine someone will have to leave first. If we get a CB who can also cover for TAA that might be it for this window, which wouldn't be too bad, although I would like to see a midfielder to replace Fab, our budget might not stretch to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The club want a young CB first I reckon, and then another midfielder.

The thing is that they also need a HG player. Colwill & Lavia both suit this beed but it's probably harder to do Colwill, especially if Lavia is done first. If you spend on Lavia, the funds are not there for Colwill. If you spend it all on Colwill first, you can look into creative ways to get money in for a replacement in the form of Lavia. Maybe those links for Thiago/Fabinho come to fruition. Possibly even Matip as the CB is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Curtis Jones might be forcing his way into serious contention with his end season performances, and showing in the U21s. Personally i think it's too soon to say with him, and want another CM in. But he's doing a lot of the right things lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Romano has said that Southampton are signing Shea Charles (19) from Man City. He's considered to be Lavia's replacement.

£9m for a player who has played a total of 27 MINUTES at senior club level is mental.

• Advertisement

Man City are getting serious money for their youth players. Burnley are reported to be paying £19M for James Trafford (20). Southampton signed another of the youth keepers, Josh McNamara (19), yesterday but the fee hasn't been reported.

They are indeed. Southampton gave Man City over €40m for 4 players last summer alone, and possibly 2 more this summer. It's like the old Man Utd - Sunderland link up, but at least those players had PL experience. These Man City players are having little to no first team experience at all before moving.

I guess it works out for Southampton if they work out and are a big success, and be able to flip them for a healthy profit. But they done that and got relegated. It's great for the players who gain experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The transfer market is gone crazy now, has been for awhile, but, has really gotten out of hand the last few seasons, the fact that players that have little to no senior experience are commanding fees above 10 million really demonstrates this. It's another reason why Liverpool's strategy of waiting to sign players over the last few seasons was poorly thought out as fees have been sky rocketing season after season. Tbf getting Mac Allister for 35 million looks an absolute steal, even if he doesn't work out, he'll hold his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Regarding the market trends and unsustainable costs, it’s very interesting watching the PSG - Mbappe saga being played out so publicly.

I’d be delighted to see him walk away on a free next season and cost PSG millions. I reckon if that happens it would quickly see the end of stupid spending, even through sports-washing, by these countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Those millions to PSG would be like pennys to us , losing €200mill is nothing to PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I think they'd just pay the players even more so the other clubs can't compete that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not impossible to sign Mbappe, if he was willing to sign, which he's not, but if he was, FSG would fund it, just to line their pockets with his sale in 3 years. Good business

I know you are winding but I will bite, if we got him for free the club couldn't sustain a salary of probably over a million a week for one player unless it was to the detriment of the rest of the club, Barcelona/ Messi was an example of how it's not a good idea , it's different for psg/ man city etc where there are owners who want to find ways to sink money into the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

What a finish from Curtis Jones in the U21 final...

...absolute genius 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jones and Elliott U21 Euro champs!

That Spanish keeper looks a star though, one to keep an eye on.

Another Player of the Match award for Jones too! Been some brilliant past couple of months for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Winning goal too;)

Not bad to have on the CV all the same.

That lad Levi Colwil was solid but I do hope the links with Liverpool is just speculation, 60/70 million for a player with just 17 PL appearances is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Yeah, might be worth a move at a max of 30m, but just too big a risk at anything more. Anything like 60 or 70m should be getting you a complete, experienced, top quality performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yeah that's it, 30M would be doable considering the inflated prices at the moment but anything over that and the clubs should have a long hard look at themselves.

The quoted fee is because Pochettino doesn't want him to be sold and Chelsea know that they can price him out of a transfer.

Crystal Palace have done the same thing with Marc Guehi. Before the end of the season he was expected to leave the club for £30M, but since then if has been announced that Roy Hodgson is staying on. The manager wants to keep the player so the club have priced him at £60M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Curtis Jones looking like a great option.

Tbh, I see 0 point in signing Lavia for 50M when we have Bajcetic. If he was 20 maybe, but 50 is bad.

Milner looking at the laps thinking '' yep, still could have easily taken em all '' 😅

Brighton already bid 30m for Colwill at the end of last season. That has rejected and has set the minimum starting price to higher than that.

Makes sense really. Chelsea are weak at the back, so would be mad for them to sell him unless they can force the price way above the odds.

A mate sent me a picture of Anfield from the late 80s. All four stands have been redone since then, pretty cool to see the difference...

Before a ball is kicked, I think we are going to fly under the radar before next season starts.

I'm not as confident as a very strong title charge as I was in 21-22 but there are a few signs that are giving me some hope. I'll come back to this in August after the friendlies and we're kicking balls but I get the impression that there could be a hunger back in the squad. A point to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

I agree but I do think we need big signing in center back, someone who will be competition for big virg. Gomez and matiq both whom I really loved just were so far off the pace and not available enough last year, just not reliable enough

I think they are trying to. Whether or not ones come in is another thing.

I think the club are really trying to get the long term VVD replacement in now but also one who is capable of playing tomorrow if he had to. The club needs HG players. Colwill ticks a few boxes in terms of meeting requirements but on the field he ticks a few boxes too - big, pacy, left sided, can pass the ball.

I agree, can't rely on Matip or Gomez enough and Konate is borderline. Hopefully he grows out of the injury problem now this year and becomes the man in defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbf, 3rd favorite in the betting odds is not exactly under the radar. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think there are definite reasons for optimism.

Hindsight is 20 : 20, but in retrospect we should have fully anticipated a severe drop off last year. The team had gone the full distance the prior season, falling agonisingly short in the League and CL and then had a shortened summer to try and recharge. It was never going to be enough.

We have a number of players who are enjoying their longest few weeks off football in years. We'll have a player back fit who will feel like a new signing (Diaz) allied to two new and dynamic bodies in the midfield rotation. And maybe another CB / DM to come yet too.

Klopp's teams have always had this type of emotional ebb and flow. The football world has a perpetual momentum, the league game in August is sold as every bit as important as the league game the prior May, but it isn't. If you want to smooth out these types of dips you need a way more dominant squad and wall of money than Klopp had at his disposal with Dortmund and Liverpool. City can keep it fresh every summer in a way we simply can't. The type of form we displayed in 2021 / 22 is in excess of what this team should be capable of, in essence.

There are reasons for pessimism too, don't get me wrong. Virgil, Fab, Hendo and Thiago may just be past their best in a way that more rotation doesn't fix. Salah will hit a downslope at some point, right? And maybe the task is just becoming too gargantuan as City and Newcastle keep funnelling money in allied to rejuvenated Arsenal and Utd projects. Maybe we simply haven't done enough with our additions, because fundamentally we lack the means to do what is required.

The thing is lads, whatever is coming won't change how amazing this run has been. It will never be as good as it was in early May 2022, when we stood on the verge of completing football. We're not getting another Barcelona 4 - 0 night. For many of us in this thread, we simply won't be around long enough to win another title for the first time in three decades. It wasn't going to just continue on. That is why you need to start appreciating when it's good, and stop moaning about it not being perfect. Because Klopp will leave and Salah will retire and we can't just buy another spin of the wheel like our competition. So if we find ourselves in the mix come December, you have to try and enjoy it in the moment. My intention for this year is to appreciate this manager and team, come what may.

I don't know about flying under the radar, Guardiola will always draw attention to Liverpool because we are the only club to have consistently challenged him.

With the transfer business we've done I'm very excited about the new season. We have the makings of a functioning midfield and that means we are in business. I didn't think that we could have been as bad the 2020/21 season last year but we were actually worse than that, while both Arsenal and Newcastle were better. Without the midfield our system doesn't work without miracles. Despite how bad we were, the team finished only 22 points off of top spot. 🤣

I find that funny because it is exactly how many points we dropped in the first 14 games of the season (5W, 5D, 4L). Look at the jokers we dropped points against in those games.

5 Draws:

• Fulham (A) 2-2
    • Crystal Palace (H) 1-1
    • Everton (A) 0-0
    • Chelsea (A) 0-0
    • Brighton (H) 3-3

4 Losses:

• Man Utd (A) 2-1
    • Arsenal (A) 3-2
    • Nottingham Forest (A) 1-0
    • Leeds Utd (H) 1-2

Klopp and last season's squad will be motivated to put such results right, the new additions will give us the energy we were lacking in midfield to be able to do it.

Another factor that I think is worth mentioning is that Curtis Jones appears to have woken up. I used to dread seeing him in the lineup but he appears to have matured and he had a great under 21s tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

There are some significant question marks over this team at the moment. If you asked me at the end of the season what signings were needed I don't think 2 x attacking midfielders would have been top of the list. Maybe they'll be turned into workhorses like Gini was but who knows?

Do we know what formation will be played?

Who will start upfront?

Is Fabinho goosed?

Will TAA be a right-back or midfielder? It looks like RB with the incomings but will he be happy to go back there?

Without a settled team or formation I'm not overly confident of a title push this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

well you would have to assume that with the 2 signings we have made, its almost a certainty we will see TAA in the hybrid RB/CDM role...when is possession we we line up something like this;

Ali

Konate - VVD - Robbo

Trent - Fab

Sobo - McAllister

Mo - Nunez - Diaz

Gakpo can only get better under Klopp, and Diaz when fit needs games and a full season, so where does that leave Nunez. The 80m pound bench warmer?

You really need to start at the front and work back

_______Nunez_______

Diaz_____________Salah

______Gakpo________

Sobo__Henderson__Trent_

___VVD_Fab_Konate___

• Advertisement

I'd go with 3 at back, with Fab center, to carry ball out of defense

Hopefully it leaves us with Mo, Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo and Jota averaging about 3 starts every 5 matches each, and not burning out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As mad as Toby is thats a good suggestion, Fab at centre back. If his legs are gone for midfield, its definitely an option and he has played there before for us and RB at Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I don't think fab is good enough as CB for us (particularly if he continues to carry a fridge on his back while running) although I like the back three formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Fabinho at CB is a terrible shout. If his legs are gone, he shouldn't be near the team, nevermind exposed 1v1 against quick strikers.

Bear in mind that Toby also had no Mac Allister and Szoboslai at LWB 😂😂😂😂😂

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Klopp go back to his standard 433 with Henderson instead of Fabinho at CDM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

• Advertisement

Man City don't rely on FB's , they just fit as many goal scorers as possible into the team, then play a solid back 4/3, and one defensive midfielder.

We're not scoring enough goals to win the league, we scored 75 last season, we need 12-15 more goals from somewhere, or someone, who that is I dunno, that's why it's important to have Nunez/Jota, Diaz, Salah & Gakpo as starters, all 4 should be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I don't know if this was mentioned already but a free month of LFC GO is on offer, handy for pre-season stuff.

The lavia stories are persistent but make little sense unless klopp is considering selling fabinho (age and salary make that difficult) or playing him at center back,the colwill/ lavia rumors would make sense then ,sign colwill and hope fabinho finds form or sign lavia and play fabinho cb .

I'd probably feel better about Fab as backup for both CB and DM than as a starter in midfield. He showed a lot of quality at CB during 20/21, so could work well as cover there - i understand the concerns about his pace, but he's quite Matip-esque in how he reads attacks. The continuous workload and mobility needed in the middle of the park feels beyond him now, whereas the shorter bursts at CB might suit him as he winds down.

Lavia has the benefit of being homegrown - but i'd nearly prefer the combative experience of someone like Amrabat. At 26, and seemingly just coming into his peak, he's got the right profile to come straight into the first team with backup in the form of the older-than-his-years Fab, and Bajcetic as the kid up-comer. Same profile we have in the other positions (Szoboslai, Hendo, Elliott, and Mac Allister, Thiago, Jones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You can win the league and have a 100% win record by scoring just 38 goals. The trick is not conceding at the other end. We score plenty. We just need to ensure its 1 more than whoever we are playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement