Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

and while they've been giving out massive wages to the people that join, they've not actually been paying big fees for anyone. Koulibaly and Mendy cost 30m in total for the pair. Brozavic was 15m. Kante, Firmino and Benzema went on frees. The only higher fee was 50m for Neves, which isn't particularly inflated.

So I don't think we'll be seeing some mad offer for Henderson. At what would be considered a 'reasonable' offer, I'd rather just keep him if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hendo out and Lavia in? Is that a reasonable swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Down the line it might work out as a good transfer, as the one ages and the other improves - but making that move right now would undoubtedly make us weaker for this coming season as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Henderson's leadership would be a massive loss, especially with Milner gone too, while his playing time might be limited, he's also very versatile and can fill in a few different positions similar to Milner. We would need to be signing another first choice midfielder if he goes. Hopefully we hold onto him, even until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be bad for the club. I’m saying that if Henderson has decided he wants to leave, he deserves to be allowed to go. And if the club can work a deal with Gerrard to get an inflated transfer fee for Jordan, it will go some way to easing the loss of him (that’s assuming all the money from a potential sale is reinvested into transfers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

But this case is slightly different in that it’s Gerard buying directly from Liverpool. Surely he’ll want to do what he can to help the club. Obviously I don’t know what his transfer budget is or how much say he has in the offers being made for players, but if he has a bottomless pit of money then I’m sure he’d be inclined to pay Liverpool a larger than normal fee for Henderson, to help the club to buy an adequate replacement (one can hope anyways!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's great to see all of the love for Jordan Henderson, but it would appear that he has a decision to make. The good olde life-changing Money versus finishing your career at the top level and the opportunity to go to Euro 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Not to mention moving to a country where he'd be arrested if he continued his public allyship of gay footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's funny that for months, most Liverpool fans wanted a big overhaul of the Liverpool midfield. When faced with the prospect of 4 midfielders leaving the club, that's too much!

Obviously it's not ideal to lose both Henderson & Milner in the same summer and while their combined influence on the pitch was growing smaller by the month, the influence off of it it was massive. The voice on the training pitch at the least. The filling in in random positions for 15 mins if needed. I thought Henderson had enough in him for one more year at starting games, just on a lower amount. Starting once a week instead of starting 2/3 and being burnt out. A lot of his game relied on his athletic ability and that has been on the wane. Can he regain some form with a lower workload? I would have thought so. If he thinks he can play 50+ games again next season, he might be able to, but the quality level drops. We need quality and quantity now, not just quantity.

Bringing in a younger, mobile replacement will be paramount and then hope that Fabinho & Thiago step up to the senior midfielder roles. Next summer they could too be gone so it will be a very quick emptying of the senior players. It's then that you miss Henderson still being around in the 'Milner role'.

We are quickly moving from a very experienced midfield to one that is not experienced enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Twitter source for the story said that they are prepared to pay €40M for Henderson, which is £34-35M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Huge loss if he goes. I feel he won't, think he loves playing for us and his country too much to go. He's one of Southgates favourites and it's unlikely he'll be picked for England if he's playing at a far lower level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think he's going to be honest, and I'm not too happy about it but I don't think Jordan cares when he can go get the bag and safeguard his family's future for many generations...

I just don't know where we go from here though?

I think Southgate will still pick him, sure he still picked Maguire constantly last year when he was out of favour at United...

Absolutely not for free, he has 2 years left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Free? Feck off!

Even 40m would be underselling

It's one thing having respect for him and not wanting to block him going, if he genuinely wants to. But it's something else entirely to screw ourselves over

That better be bull

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

40million would be a good fee for a 33 year old.

Not sure how reliable this lad is, didn't he say we were definitely getting Jude recently?

For free they can get in the sea

He's from county Galway, not sure how many sources he has within the Liverpool squad or Henderson's camp!

Comes across a bit of an Indykaila spoofer, or regurgitater?

Is that a word? lol

copy and paste full time usually from what I have seen in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Should use the money to fund Caciedo and Colwill

Honestly I'd say no to Fab and Hendo until I knew we were able to to get Caicedo, Colwill and Lavia over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I'm sure the Saudis could easily just throw money at the next big name player they think of that's attainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm against signing Lavia for £50M. Might as well put that money towards Caiecdo.

Nuno is the manager there. Same agent as Fab, apparently, and he's signed him in the past too. Jota just went there from Celtic last week and he's also the same agency.

I'm going for a lie down

Fuck this

**** it; if we're spending silly money, has Rice signed for Arsenal yet? 😋

There's losing one and then there is losing two.

If both are sold, I don't think that Lavia should be the replacement as he is too inexperienced. The replacement needs to be someone with more experience at least.

Real Madrid might be in some financial bother, and just signed a midfielder. Maybe Tchouameni might not feel as loved.....

Lavia and Caceido would be probably the replacements. Wonder if they're running the deals in tandem to avoid any hiccups

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think losing Milner, Ox, Keita, Hendo, and Fab in one summer might be a little be destabilising to the entire squad - you can make a very strong argument for each one going but not all.

Didn't Caicedo literally say he was signing for "big club" Chelsea the other day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Bellingham must be sick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's possible this is all PR spin from Hendo as I haven't seen this much positivity towards him from Liverpool fans in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Losing all 5 of those players in 1 window would be an absolute disaster! It was well highlighted last season that the most important aspect of Liverpool’s play is the energy and cohesion of the midfield trio. We struggled badly last season because some key players of that trio were either injured or completely out of form. It also been well highlighted than any new players coming into Jurgen's Liverpool take time to adjust to the style of play and the energy Klopp expects from them. If we start the season, with a midfield full of new and inexperienced players to Klopp’s system, then things will not be good. Klopp will be fighting tooth and nail to keep both Fab and Hendo I imagine, especially after Milner has left. Deep down he will be a worried man if he faces Chelsea in 4 weeks without all 3!    

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He’s done it all in his career, taking the money is the right choice.

He's still got 2 years on his contract, hows he going for free!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Isn't Caicedo off to Chelsea?

Would Lavia count as homegrown?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's different when your current deal is 150k a week, in your own country with the potential to continue competing at the absolute top for club and country. Then after that it's whether or not he wants to walk into a coaching role at Liverpool/Sunderland/England. Add to that, to not have to sell out your values, I'd probably sell out my values for a lot less in fairness.

I get why he could take the money, I'd disagree with calling it the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Personally, I think this 'story' is absolute bollox and that Henderson will be going nowhere.

He's in the best shape of his career and I'd say he's raring to get going in the Premier League.

I was expecting Fab or Thiago to leave this summer tbh. He's been a top player for us but his best days are behind him. No doubt about that that.

Again, as with Hendo. Replacement required if he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

With the type of wealth he’s about to create he can make a hugely significant contribution to social causes over the remainder of his life and beyond.

Football fans are proving very slow learners imo. The game is being bought, this is what it looks like. And it’s only beginning…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lavia won't be enough if we lose him, we need someone experienced to replace him. Milner,Bobby,Ox, Hendo thats alot of experience to lose in the dressing room in one summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus there in for Fabinho now at 40m. It really will be the complete midfield overhaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Ox, Keita - last season all were either non-existent or poor.

I would have preferred to keep Henderson, for his leadership, but if an opportunity exists to get a 33y/o (who is obviously in decline, and on massive money) off the books, I can see why the club would be interested.

£40m for Fabinho is just good business. It's a no-brainer to me.

If those 2 leave, imperative we keep Thiago, and sign two more midfielder (Lavia + Caicedo for example would be ideal)

DM - Caicedo, Lavia, Bajcetic

CM1 - Szoboszlai, Thiago

CM2 - MacAllister, Jones

Elliot and TAA also providing cover.

It could be a transformative window for our midfield. Might take time to bed everyone in obviously. To be honest, I have never thought we are winning the league next season, but it's a mid that can get us back into the top 4 and win the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I wonder what Mac Allister is thinking with the whole midfield leaving. I really don't understand why Liverpool would even entertain Henderson leaving this summer. Yes, you might say he has earned it, but not at the expense of the club.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement