Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A full season ahead with Fab in midfield I'm looking forward to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Personally I'm very positive about this season. We'd have walked the league last season if it wasn't for the issues at the back which indirectly led to issues up front and then front three all forgot how to score at the same time put the icing on the cake!

This season we've got Konate in, all the best players are fit, we've had a full pre season with most of our best players in from the beginning and almost all of them have had a full summer off. None of our rivals can say that.

With a bit of luck on the injury front and our front three rediscovering their shooting boots we'll be well in the conversation for 20 and 7.

As for our rivals. United have Ole, nothing they do squad wise solves that issue, they'll be a force when they wise up on that one.

City, realistically how much better can they get than they already are? And we were right with them for two seasons at their absolute best.

And Chelsea have done very very well last season and will be a threat since they saw sense and binned off Frank but no more of a threat than we will be if we keep our best players fit and firing.

Can't wait for it to begin. Don't worry about it though, life's too short and we can't change it if it all goes tits up 😁

Reports Wolves have bid £10m for Origi tonight.

I don't know how reliable this guys is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I'm positive enough.

We've still got jurgen.

The best fullbacks in the league, best centre back, top 2 goalkeeper, best defensive mid and the best wide player.

Quite a good spine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have avoided all transfer news and this thread all summer - can someone give me a brief summary of what's gone on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Origi at wolves make sense. They need someone taller than 5ft in the box

Absolutely nothing aside from new contracts and outgoings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say the main reason why it doesnt happen is clubs themselves have professional reputations to maintain when it comes to buying and selling players. So if our pals at Roma bought Werner for £40m and then sold him to us for £45m or £50m a week later suddenly all the big clubs are very wary of doing any business with Roma because the suspicion would be that they are acting as a ruse on behalf of a rival club. The £5m or £10m quick flip profit wouldnt be worth the damage done to their reputation as a club to do business with. Its fine if Werner went from Chelsea to Roma to Liverpool like Salah did but not solely after a quick week in Rome, that wouldnt be a good look for Roma and other clubs would take note .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Like others have said had a look at the other site and seen some of the user names and it is only going one way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s well argued. I didn’t look at the opposition quality at all, just his stats as they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Walter Alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We were still creating chances in those games, we were just missing them.

Don't know enough about Ward-Prowse to comment.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd love Kessie but can't see that one happening.

Just on that is it going to be Konate/VVD, or is he backup to Gomez?

It'll be Matip and Konate for the first two months or so I'd imagine.

If the links to Jonathan David are true they really should get that one done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Den Davies loan to SHU being bandied about now.

Is that not a stupid, and mind-bloggling move on the Liverpool side? Like, we were all let to believe that he could be sold for £5m-ish this summer and a main reason why he was brought in in January, because there would be a large profit made. A loan makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Celtic were the main ones interested in buying him but they're broke so maybe can't get that £5m?

Or there could be some clause in the original agreement where Liverpool have to pay a % if he's sold within 12 months or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

It's awful on mobile. The amount of clicking and scrolling to even get here. This used to be so easy.

All that said. Where do we go now for LFC talk? Reddit? Twitter?

Maybe we could start our own discord channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We are not buying any English players this summer so i reckon we are waiting on Shaq & Origi to depart before we sign anyone,

I wonder what will happen with Taki ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mane is a worry for new season, he's so used to being the main man, but Jota needs games too, and now Elliott too needs games, and Mane wasn't a very happy person last season, not only did his form suck, but he's attitude also when subbed.

One thing Klopp struggles with is keeping a squad full of stars happy. Pep deals with that far better, everyone there is used one week, not the next, and no one questions Pep, Klopp is more of a friend/buddy type of person with all the players, and we have no problem arguing with friends. Pep is more like a strict boss, no one is going to challenge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't agree with this at all, Mane had a bad season (by his own standards) last year and I think covid and not having a missus, or his pals from Bambali / France etc with him really affected his form on the pitch and we ended up with half a normal Sadio due to a combination of these things...

He has had a decent break back home and hope he starts firing again, he seems a good lad by all accounts....

Mane has always had that attitude when he is subbed out of a match and I kind of like seeing a bit of passion like that from a player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's an awful lot easier for Pep to do it with world class options on the bench as good as the starters. Whereas the gap between Mane and Elliott for instance is gigantic.

Mane had a bad year by his standards, hoping it was a bit of a blip though... seemed to really struggle with the isolation.

• Advertisement

Thiago has a minor injury and will miss the games tomorrow.

I wouldn't have expected him to play in them anyway since he only joined up with the squad a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whats your opinion of Thiago so far ? Resounding success or is the jury still out?

Excellent whenever played in the position he was bought for, so I'm generally happy out with him.

Not been great when he has to fill in as a deep lying number 6, but if he's stuck playing there again it means we have bigger problems (i.e Hendo and Fabinho both being out).

He came back into the team when they where on a bad run & got some of the blame which was a joke ,

For me he has been class & will only be better this season ,remember away to United he ran the game ,

I do worry about his ability to pick up little injuries , Henderson & Fab do the same so i think a new midfielders is TOP priority ,

I don’t find it that bad once you find the threads you want. Have this one starred so three clicks and I’m in.

profile pic, star, LFC thread and I’m here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

it would be grand if every time you clicked into the thread you didn’t have to scroll down the page and figure out what was the last post you read..

Doesn’t happen all the time but I’ve started to use the “my bookmarks” at the bottom to exit and when I come back, it enters at my last post. Seems a odd bug but I’m not bothered reporting on the complaints thread as nothing appears to be changing. This thread is the only reason I’m still here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there going to be full capacity at Anfield from the get go this season? Really hope so, think we missed fans more than most

Wembley had 60,000 of the possible 90,000 so I can’t imagine there will be anything but full for PL games. The charity shield capacity will probably decide the season starter capacity.

Ali, Fab & Bobby will play tomorrow against Bologna

Looks like the club posted Ali new contract agreement early and deleted it screen shots of it are on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Thiago has been dealing with a "slight fitness issue" since the Euros and isn't expected to resume full training until next week. That puts him in doubt for making the line-up for the opening few games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yes grounds will return to full capacity for the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Never have I seen a club applaud themselves as much for extending contracts of existing key players. Its actually hilarious to be honest, and supporters expectations have been lowered so much that we are treating it as a new signing.

As our rivals strengthen (Varane and Sancho to United, Lukaku to Chelsea on top of big money they spent last season, City adding Grealish and potentially Kane), no matter what way you look at it we are standing still. And using the title winning season as the bar for this squad, meekly expecting every one of them to fire at 100% like they did in 2019/2020. And they will all need to fire at 100% (with no injuries) for us to even challenge, make no mistake about it. Every one of our rivals are stronger, so the goalposts have moved.

You are only as good as your last season, and its as clear as the nose on our face that we need players to improve on what we have. Blind optimism that Mane and Firmino will step up this season despite clear signs of decline is incredibly frustrating. I feel this is payback from FSG over the fan outcry about furloughing staff and the backlash over trying to get a larger slice of the pie via a new Super league. Fans can lump it when they come looking for new signings now.

I get the whole non homegrown quota needing to be lowered by offloading the likes of Origi and Shaqiri but there always an undercurrent of excuses, local journos and sports writers who deal specifically in Liverpool news are clearly fed these narratives and its debated on fan sites etc.. its not something that seems to be a massive issue at other clubs.

The next window is always "the big one" for Liverpool.

Talks of not being able to find a £5million buyer for Ben Davies are incredibly small time, the club always like to paint themselves as being more clever than anyone else, "looking for value" etc... but years of flogging dross for big money (and congratulating themselves and Michael Edwards in media articles) has come back to bite them on the backside as clearly Liverpool is now seen as somewhere where you won't get great value, instead its an expensive place to shop.

Klopp likes to keep his squad tight, he is conservative in using certain squad players (Ox, Keita, Shaq, Origi to name a few). This presumption that our midfield options are fine without Wijnaldum is nonsense, the general consensus is that Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago is a great starting 3 is hollow. Sure it would be a great 3, if 2 of that 3 were not shown to be consistently susceptible to injury.

We have improved in defence, midfield has been significantly weakened and I suspect we will suffer the same fate again this season in an over reliance on Mo Salah for goals. Again there a presumption that playing a high line at the back (with our first choice defenders) will solve all problems, but its absolute folly to take it as gospel that it will.

Ali new contract confirmed. A 6 year contract till 2027.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No word yet of how much his goal bonus will be!

Midfeild is a worry, Hendo, Fab,Thiago, all pic up injuries , Ox & Naby can;t be relied on to perform even if fit & Milner is to old

We need another robust player in there ,

Up front one more good attacker will be enough , Mane, Salah, Jota , Bobby plus 1 will be the best attack ewe have had in over 30 years ,

Odd point of view from a Liverpool fan, given that we're coming off the back of 2 decades of failing to hold onto our best talents, and failing to capitalise on the stronger squads we've built (I've also not seen anyone treating it like a new signing - instead just people saying its a good thing). We're actually doing that, while still adding further quality on top. Yup, we need a few additions for depth, and tbh I think we'll get them.

As for "You're only as good as your last season", that sounds like one of those snappy-yet-pointless phrases that essentially mean nothing. Of course if you're getting back a few massive players you're in a better position than you were. We know what this group of players can achieve, and - Milner aside - they're all still in the peak age range.

Since the league win, they've added a top class young forward, and a top class young centre back. That's the kind of sustained building that'll see a nice transition. It absolutely has to be kept up, and I'd love another one or two young players to come in, but we've got a very competitive team right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its always been run very tight by FSG, I would like to see investment but we need to bring a number of moderate earners into the top wage bracket plus make salah one of the best players in the league, all while suffering the financial hangover of the pandemic.

City about to drop 100m on Grealish, forget about them. United spent a bit, but they will balance that a bit with outgoings.

We need to replace Gini, I absolutely agree there and I think we will once we shift a few fringe players.

It's about what I expected this summer to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

We definitely need reinforcements in midfield. Milner is done as a top player in centre mid and has been for a seasons or two. He was a great servant and should be kept around for League cup and early rounds of FA Cup.

Is this Keith’s last year of his his contract? Not really reliable anyway as an option. Ox was just unlucky with injuries and they have hampered his development under Klopp.

It’s gonna be a really interesting season to see how long we can hang to City’s coattails. And let’s hope we aren’t in late scramble again for 4th. Can’t wait for the season to be honest even though I’m not overly optimistic.

Still 2 years on Keita's contract yet. We can but hope he can keep his body in one piece for a decent portion of the season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

How much did Villa pay for Danny Ings? We have a 20% sell on fee don't we?

Sky Sports News think fee of around £25m so could be looking at around £5m to LFC

• Advertisement

Wonder if Ings joining Villa might start a little bit of movement. For instance Southampton could do with someone like Origi up top now.

Advertisement