Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

For future reference, Twitter is a medium, not a source. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Wouldnt really be too enthusiastic about us signing him. From what I've seen of him he seems to be a poor mans Henderson and I think we should be aiming higher. Stinks of a bit of desperation. I'm sure Leicester would expect 20-30m for him given the prices these days. Surely it is worth spending a bit more on a higher calibre of player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Isn't Jac Talbot their source? Who is known to be a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Anfield Watch is a click bait website.

Any exclusive they have should be considered a pile of shite. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Yeah & it's associated with the Sun so don't post links to them which people will click on

The official LFC boards have banned them as a source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What your source for that?

Plus I can't find twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Away from the transfer talk

Here's Cara's best team of scousers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Gotta be honest here lads.

We can talk about needing a DM or whatever (for my money, a DM and CB are essentials. Another CM would be nice. Not reinventing the wheel with those suggestions, am I?), but I don't think it matters a jot who we do and don't sign if we go into the season with this stupid inverted wingback nonsense. We got away with some properly sketchy performances last season and against Bayern, an average side who were made look average last season by Man City and should've lost the Bundesliga to Dortmund, all the worst of it was on display again.

It pulls our defence narrow making it really easy for any team with decent wingers to expose us, isolates our wingers, has our "no. 8s", or whatever you want to call them, getting forward too early and not being able to properly contribute to the build up, and any time Konate isn't playing (and he doesn't have a stellar injury record) we look absolutely lost down the right hand side defensively. I wasn't enamoured with it last season, but thought maybe with a full pre-season we'd get it working better, but no sign of it.

Lavia or someone like him would help, but he ain't gonna solve it all himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fully agree with that.

I don’t see how this style of play can be viable against even the mid table teams we’ll face this season. Unless that’s where we’re aiming to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Same as you lads.

Back to our 4-3-3 with engines covering Trent/Robbo when they bomb please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm happy for trent to not play RB but would be mich happier if he was put in as a midfielder and we had a new rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Assuming we don’t buy a top class right back , I would love to see Kostas at right back.

in my view, there’s a ridiculous reluctance to play players on the ‘wrong’ side.

Yes, it would mean our right back would carry much less attacking threat, but now with Trent and Alexis in midfield we have bags of creativity and goal threat so we will no longer be relying on our full backs to be our creators. What we need from our right back is to be able to defend and Kostas is decent enough at that, way better than Trent anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Good sign,lavia not starting for Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lavia on the bench. Watch him come on and break his leg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I know most would be reluctant to play him but, Gomez has done well at RB, when he has played there in the past, it's when he plays at CB he seems to fall asleep and cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d prefer to see Gomez play there than the stupid hybrid idea that is absolutely doomed to failure! Trent can play equally well at RB or midfield, but not both. As was said earlier in the thread, we’ll be horribly exposed it that system remains in place.

If prefer a new RB, but JoeGo is at least as top gap there to plug the massive hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It would be acceptable but it wouldn't scream of wanting to win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Gomez has always been decent at right back but by god he can't play CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If we go into this season with Klopp firing out excuses about value in the transfer market or "the development of X has impressed Klopp and the management team don't feel the need to get in reinforcements" it will be a case of seriously managing expectations.

I agree, but, the club has unfortunately neglected to adequately strengthen the squad over the last few seasons, even this summer while they made a promising start, things seem to have stalled, so while not an ideal solution, it's probably the best option if Trent is moved to midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

No minutes for Lavia last night, you'd assume talks must be fairly advanced?

They were protecting their main asset, so I'd say he's as good as gone. Hopefully he's coming to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I was hoping that the new formation that we saw in the back end of last season was a stop-gap until they got in some midfielders who could run and revert to the 433. As others have said it's so incredibly easy to counter-attack against it. Opposing managers will see the wide open space where a RB should be and get a quick winger to stand in the massive space left by TAA. Unfortunately, we've seen it continue through pre-season.

I'm doubting Klopp for the first time since he arrived and downgrading my expectations for this season. I think it'll be similar to last year and Liverpool won't make top four. Even if additional signings come in, new players won't fix sh!tty tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This inverted right is not worth a jot to us as we are short in both midfield and defence to apply the system. We have 2 defenders in the entire squad who can adjust to it (Konate and VVD) and we have zero ball playing No.6s required play it...Unless Klopp and his coaching team have lost their marbles, I can't see us adopting this for the season. It will be used against the bottom 6/7 teams where we struggled to score and break down last season and I'd imagine Klopp is using every opportunity he can to trial it out. We can't go another season taking so few points off the cannon fodder. I'd be absolutely amazed if we're not playing our traditional 433 tomorrow week against Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree with above. Part of the reason Trent was so easily targeted particularly last season was the lack of legs in midfield and his own defending issues obviously. We'd be crazy to use this system with our current squad.

Why would he have played this formation exclusively in preseason if it's not the formation he plans to play vs Chelsea? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Top 5 gets champs lg this season doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So we're going back to the future,to klopps first two seasons,win 5-2,4-1,3-0,then lose 2-4,win 6-0,5-1,7-1,lose 0-4,win 4-3,5-2,5-1.shoyld be exciting if nothing else😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

But we haven't played this formation exclusively throughout preseason. The first 2 matches we played our traditional 433 and actually played Trent as an 8 within the midfield 3. The 2nd half against Leicester we went back to our traditional 433 also. It was only the 1st half against Leicester and the Bayern game where we played with the inverted full back...you also have to remember, we have zero No.6's at the minute so maybe Klopp thought having 2 bodies in that zone may have been worth a try.

Yeah, Klopp definitely knows what he's doing so he'll know where we are short.

Pre season is about getting fitness and working on some new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Trent played 6 & Bradley played the inverted right back hybrid role in the first few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't shake the feeling we are weaker than the previous season for the second consecutive season in a row.

Hopefully we can pick up results while the window is open and activity is ongoing.

Maybe I missed the 433 in any of the games I saw. Bradley was playing the inverted role against Karlsruher and Furth for sure. Tsimikas played inverted against Leicester in the second half.

Lavia, Inacio plus one midfield would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

"the inverted right back hybrid role"

What in the name of all that's holy is that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We are not weaker than we were last year.

Klopp has said he expects another 1 or 2 in so why not just wait until it's known for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Exactly, see what numbers we have come final transfer day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I understand the apprehension of Trent being in midfield from his right-back role as it leaves space behind him if Konate and VVD is not playing. But its not like we had this problem before Trent was moved there. That was part of the reason as Trent rampaging forward left the space for teams to exploit when Fabinho was out of form and we had the injury problems.

Our hope is that we will have a more settled side with less injuries that will allow the players to gel together and hopefully score more than we concede. Let's not pretend like we were butchering sides like City was even when we were keeping in touch with them or winning the title. There were many games where the opposition was given chances and we were just a little better than them for a short period. Let's hope for a little luck and the players we have does not spend too much time on the sidelines to make things difficult for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only if England finish in the top 2 and the last time they had 8 teams in Europe they finished 3rd overall which will not get that extra spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We certainly are weaker at the moment. Might improve, I suspect it will before next week, but we definitely have a weaker squad now, is it 7 players gone and 2 in? Not panicking or anything, but as it stands we're weaker. Not all the clubs fault either, seasoned pros practically reneging on their long term contract would not have been expected or planned for, so some catching up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ahh but on a positive note, those senior pros were shite anyway and the midfield is practically a blank canvas for Klopp to create a new masterpiece. Get another couple of energizer bunnies in there and we could be setup to return to the heavy metal brand of football that ran the opposition ragged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We struggled last season to take chances, Nunez didn't hit the ground running, Diaz was out, and Gakpo only came in Jan, this season we'll be stronger not weaker, I'm pretty sure in second half of last season, or thereabouts, that City only took more points, 1 or two that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I looked Inacio up but seemingly utd is his preferred move, according to the article 🥵

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This. We have removed a fair bit of dead wood and brought in a couple of exciting players. Whatever about losing Henderson, moving Fabinho on was needed and to get 40 million was nice.

Nunez looks more composed, Gakpo looks a player and Diaz is back from injury. Not to mention Mo and Jota.

Weaker? Not a chance.

Of the forward players mentioned only Gapko is new from the start of last season and he's replacing Firmino. Nunez may or may not be better this season he should be settled in at this stage, so we should expect an improvement. I might be wrong, but weren't Diaz and Jota fit at the start of last season, hopefully they stay fit, that would definitely help, but, regarding the forwards in terms of numbers and quality we're pretty much the same, hopefully we have better luck with injuries this season.

Damn. Tbh even if united sign good players, they just don't work out. They're toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I dunno, it looks like the culture is starting to change for the better over there. That’ll still take quite a bit of time, but they seem to be on the right track at least.

Now if they let Mason Greenwood back into the squad….

• Advertisement

I think they're making poor signings regardless. It always looks good on paper, but never works out.

This might turn out to be a poor take, but the striker they signed for 80m is insane money. He scored 9 goals last season.

Advertisement