Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Interesting read.

Its difficult to discuss referee bias without accusations of moaning, being dramatic etc but if the data is accurate it should be discussed.

The main point that I’d agree with is there should be more effort in using referees outside the locality to be in charge of games. It genuinely seems crazy to me that PGMOL are more strict on Liverpool referees reffing Liverpool games than Manchester referees reffing Manchester games.

Surely there should just be a general rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think he will be worth 120m easily. We're stealing him from Southampton, but acting like we're getting ripped off, this is the game Liverpool play, go in with a bid of 34m, Southampton laugh, we want 50m! , Liverpool secretly laughing, we did it again, as he's worth 75m, but we'll still try get him for under 50. This is the tactic, he's an absolute bargain at 50m and Liverpool know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's Tomkins and all Tomkins ever does is moan about how Liverpool are reffed. I used to find him interesting but it's all he seems to do these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

So you’d value an 19 year old defensive midfielder with 29 top flight appearances at a price that’d be the 3rd highest transfer fee of all time?

Just out of interest, how often have you actually watched him play? And how could you possibly come to the conclusion that he’s worth 120m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

For sure, and the whole article about just how unfair it all is should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

Still though, having a pool of referees that allows for matches being reffed by someone not from either place seems like a no brainer. At the very least it makes the bias argument go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Is there any hope at all that we would just pay the 50m and get lavia in, we nearly recouped that amount alone for fab who could barely walk, the damn league kicks off in a few days for crying out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a bit like the Roy Keane transfer, he was relegated too. Lavia has great stats, factual info, with games under his belt at Liverpool he'll be worth 120m plus at 23 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just get Lavia done. seriously.

i can't have a season with Jones as the 6. whether we like it or not, Southampton also know that we're fúcked in the middle, so we need him, so we can't say we'll just go elsewhere. they also have Caicedo as a comparison.

West Ham are asking for £85m for Pacqueta for the love of God. and I like him. but this is the market. you can't always wait for a MacAllister release clause. sometimes you have to pay a fúcking premium.

get it fúcking done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'll wait until window closes,but at this rate I'm not expecting a major push for title,top 4 is a serious battle too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Top 4!! Top 8 at this rate. Look at the drop off in quality from the starting 11. And that's without a good DM. LFC need 2 midfielders and some defensive back ups asap. Any injuries/drop off due to fatigue and LFC are fucked. It's like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Then you see most other top ten teams strengthening, it's gonna be a dogfight again for European places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Signing Lavia doesn’t improve the outlook either. He may be very good in years to come, but he’s not a player to build a top four challenge around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I completely agree.

We are down to bare bones though. Literally take any body at this stage.

Also, the optimistic part of me thinks we might move onto another target if we eventually land this.

It’s all hoping and wishing tbh. Big push forward happening around us in the league, and we’ve objectively gone backwards last 15 months. Reality will be here soon…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's the cost benefit of this that's baffling really.

City and Arsenal are in decent shape.

Newcastle don't seem to have gone crazy with cash but are building.

Chelsea should be better with that manager.

Utd would expect to be decent.

Villa were very good by their standards and could put a CL season together.

Spurs, who knows.

Not qualifying for the CL next season would be a disaster and we're now missing two of our key players. Yes they were there when we we bad, but they were there in the second half of last season when we were the second best team in the league. 36 + 35 appearances last season.

The new lads are good buys but we can't put the whole season on their shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

While negative to you, logical to others. We all want to be positive and see the team do well, but when you see the transfer team low balling and dragging out this lavia transfer, it's hard to do so. Should have had all the dealings done weeks ago, like klopp wanted. New players would have been settled more, thus increasing chances of a productive start to season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There has to be more to this than we know.

I mentioned previously but I'm starting to actually believe that Southampton are wanting a crazy future selling-on percentage, hence why Liverpool won't go the extra few million.

I'm probably completely wrong but we don't know all the goings on with this one yet I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Renato Sanches has been told he can leave PSG. We were interested a few years ago. I wonder if he'd be worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Throw in neymar also while your at it since he was told he can also leave

• Advertisement

Predictions for next season lads ??

Premier league - 7th

Domestic cups - out before semi finals

Europe - semi finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nah, he's grand, he can head off elsewhere i think!

We finished 5th last year. Who would you have finishing ahead of us this year?

Arsenal

Man city

United

Chelsea

Newcastle

Villa

Only predictions - even the experts struggle to get it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hard to see a top 4 push with such a gaping hole in midfield with no natural CDM in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If we had of held onto Hendo for the Milner role, I think we would've had a better chance of a top 5 position. Now I'm clinging onto a glimmer of hope to getting a top 5 spot. We obviously still need a DM and the club are "trying" to bring one in.

We'll score bag full of goals but also concede our fair share so I expect it to be a cracker of season watching Liverpool...... From a neutrals perspective.

Man city

Man utd

Arsenal

Newcastle

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Henderson is not in any way Milner, he's a attacking mid who created and scored very little last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's still to be confirmed, isn't it?

Only if England have the first or second highest coefficient come the end of the season

• Advertisement

Oh is that it? Fair enough.

With Newcastle and Arsenal representing it's probably not something to rely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We will have to see how Arsenal, United and Newcastle do with Champions League football this year. Arsenal seem best placed for a challenge again seeing as they have spent a boatload after finishing 2nd last year. The expectations on the team will be elevated so this will be new for them. Not just hopeful of a top 4 challenge but a challenge to City again and going far in the Champions League having spent more than £200m in the transfer window.

United have bought 3 players, Mount who has a lot of potential but will be in the spotlight at United, a 20 year old striker who arrived for a hefty fee (about £70m) who will be compared to the 23 year old playing in the city for the other team and then a keeper that has had his own issues off the field. They will be under the microscope and Ten Haag will need to keep up the progress as everyone seems to be predicting them for 2nd this year. They may have quality players in defense, but they are also injury prone so we will see how it works out for them.

Newcastle will be in the spotlight now as well. They will have to cope with a most likely tough Champions League group (most likely pot 3 or pot 4) and then the expectation will be to qualify again this year. They still have largely the same squad that stumbled over the line last year, same as United, and will not have the luxury of Liverpool and Chelsea taking the year off again.

Add in Brighton and Villa that will challenge the top 6 it will be a bit of a battle to make the top 4. City will be far and away the best again, their squad is just too good and the style of play for the players will get them through any rough patches they will face.

How does this effect us? Who knows, we could have a terrible start and the negativity that supporters are bringing into the season will pass onto the players on the pitch early on. Then expect much like last year with non-stop moaning about how terrible it is to be a Liverpool supporter under FSG. Or we can grab a little momentum at the start and get some good vibes going, much of the negativity will be kept for the inevitable losses but those will be few so to keep the good vibes going.

I for one will be hoping for the latter. There are way too many negatives in the world today, I am not about to add Liverpool to the other crap things happening in the world right now. I mean give it a few weeks at least before people start predicting that Everton will finish above us, or is that too much to ask?

Get in a DM and a CB and - barring injuries - CL qualification.

Doubt we will do much in the domestic cups as we don't have the squad for it.

Europa League I'd agree with you. I'd hope to get as far as the semi's.

Can't see Villa or Newcastle finishing ahead of us.

One thing we are forgetting is that we have a serious collection of forwards. Serious. Keep them firing and it may just be a case of Norwegian Death Metal football.

God I wish we'd stop pretending Hendo wasn't important to us.

Or that any of Klopp's midfield 3 ever contribute many goals

Hopefully more goals and more assists this year

Simple maths we have more players going out than we do coming in + Thursday night football = 7th

Is that real maths, or Anne and Barry maths? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Henderson played a very specific role and was a great player, he was never a Milner type player who could fill in left or right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Milner role as in.. very professional leader in the team that can fill in many positions. Hendo would've probably still started a lot more games than what Milner did over the last few seasons but with after adding Soboz and Mac to the team, Hendo wouldn't have to feature as much as he did last season.

• Advertisement

Soboz and Mac you would hope are upgrades. Both look like decent buys. Early days yet of course.

I'd imagine a DM will be coming in too.

Starting 11 will be a decent team. The squad will be thin though.

Another defender or two wouid be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It will more than likely happen but it still depends on how English teams do in Europe compared to others, over recent seasons England have finished in the top 2 at the end of the season but the last time they had 8 teams in Europe they finished 3rd.

The really frustrating part is we're 3 signings away from a bloody great squad. 2 midfielders and 1 more defender.

Someone would have to explain to me how this team is better than the 2022 team. Even if you include Lavia. I don’t see it, at all.

I suppose you can hope in some way that we’ll be better than last season, but the case for that is extremely thin imo.

I can confidently say City, Newcastle, Utd and Arsenal are all substantially better than they were in 2022 and are all clearly on the up.

We can become the great entertainers, shades of Klopp’s first season in charge. Back in the Europa League too. Time is a flat circle.

I don't think we are. But on the positive side, it is at least a team that's a lot younger, so can be built upon, while that 2022 team was the end of an amazing run.

We need a few extra bodies to even be remotely capable of a challenge though - Lavia, a backup CB, and I'd also love a proper experienced bastard of a midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Chelsea have offered £48m for Lavia.

I know what your saying. BUT same could be said from anything in life - we're still going to struggle

"Secretly crosses fingers to win the league"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
Advertisement