Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The penalty shout didn't annoy me half as much as when Taylor blocked Szoboszlai, pretended he didn't, and just let Chelsea attack.

I was irrationally angry at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same, how did he not stop play. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

With 100+ minute games and 5 subs available he better well get used to it.

Football could become slightly like rugby with all this added time, that your subs/ending XI is as important as who starts. I did think our subs done pretty well today.

He's incompetent. Not biased against anyone. Just utterly incompetent.

I'm delighted to see he cares. Nothing wrong with that.

It's better than someone coming off who had a shite game, and then high fiving everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I always like players who want to play, they may accept it after but with adrenaline flowing etc you want them to want to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Paying 5m more because we acted the boll*x on this for a month now! This is Ed Woodward levels of incompetence....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

So instead of paying 50m, we now have to pay 55m

Seems odd

• Advertisement

Did Southampton accept Chelseas bid, or are they just waiting on us to bid again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Worries me too. I would say defence is a system and there's too much uncertainty for anyone in the system to be at their best. Messing around with TAA, not having a DM just means the others in defence have to always think twice. Playing in the back, most things should be second nature but i think theres too much asked of everyone in that system.

Over the years lots of top teams have had ageing CBs with success or other flaws because they were well drilled. There's no way to drill this system.

We need an RB and a DM. Just let TAA rotate depending on opposition. He can play RB, CDM and Mid depending on the game.

Joyce said in an article after our last bid on Lavia that Southampton wanted more than £50m. I don't think anything in the last week has affected that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a fake sky sports account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is a bid for Amrabat a possibility?

Even If Lavia comes on board we're still in big trouble, a 19 year old kid with a total of 22 PL games is not going to the complete answer to our porous defence.

Change the tune lads, some of the lads cribbing about lack of spending would be cribbing anyway, cribbers cribbing, shocking,a point away at a champions league rival (with some strange decisions) is good result ,in klopp we trust , positive waves baby ...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It got even worse then that when Szoboszlai nicked the ball off a Chelsea defender around the 80th min offering a great break with Chelsea players all in our half and was penalised for absolutely nothing when if anything he was leaned into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good catch.

i scrolled down a bit after, and saw they’d tweeted this earlier; “Mason Greenwood is officially the Prince of Football, the King of Manchester.”

Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Konate is getting a hard time, and he's been far from perfect, but.....

We're saying he's not up to it. Neither is Gomez. Neither is Joel. Indeed, neither is Virgil. What's the common denominator here.... these are all very good, pacy players that are trying to operate in a chaotic, disorganized system. It's a flat 4 in theory, yet Andy bombs forward, and Trent was over and back across the midfield whenever we had the ball - sometimes central, sometimes left of centre, an odd time on the right qonf😀, but when we misplaced a pass there was acres of space (as is now customary) down the RHS, and Konate in particular has 50 meters behind him, 25 yards to his right, and probably only Virgil anyway close to him.

It's an impossible job, and opponents have bewn exposing it for 2 or 3 years now. If up to the coaching staff to sort it out on the training field, coaching/coaching/coaching! We can't expect to keep trying the same thing and expecting a different result, and changing the personnel isn't enough-it's not a personnel problem it's a coaching and organization problem IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't like saying this, but this season may be a transition season much like 16/17 and 17/18 were. So there will be some painful results and frustrations but I think we have a very promising squad for the next 5-7 years going forward. We do need more cover in midfield but we took control once Elliott and Jones was on the field. We will also need to rebuild our defense over the next couple of years but that should set us up for another challenge for the title in a couple of seasons time. So some positives, some negatives but the first match of the season against tough opposition was never going to be easy.

Chelsea as a club may be a basket case but they have a very good manager with very good players playing for them. It was never going to be easy, especially not the first match of the season either. They are always difficult games and you can get bad results in those matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I hope not. My beloved Violas would be lost without him. Not sure he's made for the Premier league either. But I'd rather he came to us over the other lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm more worried about fielding a viable midfield three at the moment if something happens to Sobo or Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would it be really petty if I said Nunez's hair annoyed me a little when he came on?

It was always going to be a transition season when we were trying to revamp the midfield. That's made harder by only having one senior midfielder from last year so most of our experience is gone. No matter what, we need to make CL next year though.

The midfield needs two more players now but we'll most likely get a DM. Andre in January would be excellent. Next summer Thiago will move on and we'll need to replace him. That would leave for example Lavia and Andre for DM, Szoboszlai and Elliot for RM, Mac Allister and Jones for LM and one more.

They need to get a LCB this summer. If they are going to play the 4 Box 3 formation then Robbo will need to be addressed (but not sold as there'll still be games against weaker teams where he'll be extremely useful for overloads). Inacio can play LB well and then if TAA moves into CM your DFs shift across so Konate does not need to cover as much space. In this formation we don't need our LB pushing forward at all. This move would help massively with availability of attacking space for opponents. Matip will be gone next Summer so then you're looking at a RCB.

In my opinion the following should be signed at a bare minimum.

This summer - DM + LCB.

January - CM/DM

Next Summer - RCB, CM, RW (Doak goes on loan) and RB (assuming Ramsey hasn't broken through to challenge).

I'd expect Matip and Thiago to leave on frees and Carvahlo (if he doesn't cop onto himself) and Tsimksas to be sold next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

This was a Chelsea team with literally no experience of playing together with CB that is almost 39 years of age. The major red flags from last season remain like intensity & passing just dropping off a cliff after 30mins.

The amount of time on Robertson side Chelsea could take the ball down and pick out crosses was crazy and Trent is absolute liability.

Jones or Gapko can't be starting in midfield if only going place 3 midfielders. The team looked dysfunctional for large periods today and hard to see how an 19 year Lavia changes that if klopp does not address the defensive tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I thought I imagined how bad that decision was. It was a classic case of the referee assuming it had to be a foul as players rarely get picked like that.

Konate isn't an issue. He has the toughest job on the team, and it's not close.

He's to cover Trent while we don't have intensity, or a proper DM.

He did fine today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

For the handball incident, did VAR even look at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I beleive it did as the ref halted play right after.

It was about the right decision IMO unless you think all defenders should play with their arms behind their backs at all times, but the problem is, is that you won't need to look too far for similar being punished and, almost without question, if the ref had of awarded it, it wouldn't have been overturned.

With his arm tucked into his body I never for one minute thought it would be awarded TBH. I'd rather penos aren't awarded for ones like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Caicedo off to Chelsea for £115 million on an 8 year(!) deal.

Be interesting to see what the club do now. While I’m disappointed to miss out on him I’m not devastated, it’s crazy money and I would prefer to see if we can get a midfielder and defender.Was a nice bonus to get Chelsea to overpay massively too.

Hopefully the club have alternatives. I guess we’ll go back in for Lavia but I don’t think the club are too keen to spend 55 million on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Totally this. Konate has no DM in front of him, has no RB to the right of him and increasingly has to go help an ailing VVD beside him. He's the most exposed player in the team atm.

Ya it was looked it. I was pi**ed at the time as I was sure it hit his hand from the corner as the reply at the time didn't show Diaz flick that cleary. But looking at it on Sky Sports news this evening you could see the flick from Diaz so there was feck all he could do and his hand was in front of his chest anyway so it was never going to be awarded.

Were you watching? If not yes, strange decision as even though not away from his body he had loads of time to move his hand away,new rules this season.....

They look at all incidents, but whether they was a check the answer is yes.

I think we were a little unlucky as well, Salah was only slightly offside and if we went 2-0 up we should have won. That would have changed the outlook on our performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

It looks like we just chanced our arm and bid for him last minute, we only ended up making Chelsea pay way more than they originally planned.

We evidently have a healthy transfer budget remaining so if Klopp and Co could get on with proceedings that would be great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Reports that Lavia to Chelsea is starting to circulate as well. Fml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Advertisement

When we wouldn't increase the offer above 46/48m or whatever it was it was over for Lavia. Was anyone here actually that sold on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Surely, if true, that's just retaliation for Liverpool going for Caicedo. There's no way they can buy him too and get around FFP.

Interesting though... nothing stopping them bidding (with no intention of buying) for Lavia just to push the price up for Liverpool. What if Liverpool say "£50m, no more", Chelsea say £55m, Brighton agree... what then? Will it go down to the last day of the transfer window before Southampton agree eventually to sell to Liverpool for the £50m? It'll be like an ebay auction with dodgy shill bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Anyone know much about Sangare from psv, reports we are interested.

Chelsea tried to sign Lavia last summer so it's not new interest.

What's the penalty for breaching FFP?

I don't doubt it could happen but Chelsea will have spent around £295m on midfielders since Boehly took over. This includes the Caicedo fee but not the fee for Lavia if they get him as well. You know how they tell you if a deal looks too good to be real...then its most likely not all what it seems. That is Chelsea at the moment. There is no way they will be able to be on the right side of FFP and P/S with their spending. They can give the players 20 year contracts if they want, that loophole has been closed already so them offering these deals now is just them having to do it because they offered it to other players.

I mean what could go wrong offering players guaranteed salaries for 8 years when it is not helping you out at all in terms of accounting when it comes to FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not really, he’s a highly rated player in a position we need, but he’s only 19 and doesn’t have all that much experience. 50 million is crazy money for potential.

We are going to have to overpay, everyone knows we’re desperate for a DM. And if we’re going to do that I’d hope it’s for someone who can slot in immediately.

Chelsea's offer for Caicedo is breaking news on the BBC website.

Tavolieri said that Liverpool had been in touch with Lavia's representatives to say that they intended to match Chelsea's bid.

I agree, I think we need someone with more experience to play DM. Lavia would have been a good buy alongside that more experienced player.

I'd go get Adams for £20m as a start and work from there.

Luis from Benfica (release clause), Kimmich (doubt he'd leave), Tchoumeni (missed our chance on him), Sangare (would he suit?), Fofanna from Monaco (don't know anything about him) and Doucoure all linked recently. How about Aunguissa from Napoli? I know he's more of a CM than a DM though.

Left field but I wonder could we tempt Onana to switch Everton for Liverpool?

• Advertisement

I haven't watched a huge amount of him, but he was the best player on the pitch in the EL game against what was a second string Arsenal team last season. He was heavily linked with Bayern and then PSG over the last few summers too, but nothing ever happened with either. He has been strangely quite on the transfer rumour from this summer though, not sure if there's a reason for that.

Advertisement