Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

115 charges for City and 115m Chelsea spending and already spending 900m in a year. The absolute corruption and cheating going would make you disillusioned are where the game is going .

Genuine Chelsea fans have to getting alarmed at this stage at the behaviour of the club. It's like bohely knows a ban is coming and just buying as many players as they can in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like Chelsea have had our pants down in the transfer market. Taking not one but both DM targets. Albeit at huge financial cost to themselves but that type of thing or FFP doesn't seem to bother them under Boehly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

Any chance Chelsea could end up like the Leeds Utd fiasco all those years ago under O'Leary if a CL place is not almost guaranteed ? I can't see how all the spending is funded or the wages guaranteed given the conract lengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Chelsea's shirts were horrible, from the back all looks normal and fine but the front looks like a local Sunday league team without a sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Whatever premium we’d have to pay for Onana because he plays for Everton would be absolutely worth it if they ended up getting relegated as a result.

He’s a good player though, wouldn’t mind that at all but it’s very hard to imagine it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It depends on who breaches it and how.

If its City or Chelsea, the penalty seems to be blind eyes to shady dealings and high praise from Sky and all the journalists. If its Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal, presumably there'd be blood on the streets, 50 point deductions and monumental fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There was some speculation about him while he was at Toulouse, but the club never made an offer for him. He was speculated about last summer and again in January but again there were no offers made. Of the potentially available midfield players he seems the best fit for our immediate needs. The only concern would be the big hole in the midfield when he heads off to the AFCON tournament in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I hope the club have something planned before the window closes.

This saga has been pretty embarrassing imo. Questions need to be asked and answered over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They can hardly buy one not a mind both,I don't see how Liverpool are being bidded up for a transaction that Chelsea can't fulfill their bid for,if one goes through the other is not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

We wouldn't spend the money on a player who we obviously rated and who wanted to come here. We agreed terms with the player. But decided to drag the whole thing out.

We bid a large amount of money for a player who didn't want to come here. And had agreed terms with another club.

Like, that's really messy and disjointed behaviour imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Not really. The club see Caicedo as a top class option who is able to walk into the first 11 straight away and improve it. For that level of quality in this market, they have to be prepared to pay silly money

In contrast, the club sees Lavia as a very promising young player with a lot of potential, but are sceptical that he is ready to go into the first team from day 1. So in effect, he’d be filling a similar squad role as Bajetic. Still a useful signing to make, but they would prefer to be paying £35m for that sort of profile that £50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok but none of that is really true is it?

All the reports from Lavia were that the club didn't feel he was worth 50m+. If you don't think he's worth that much then why pay it for him? He's only played 29 premier league games so he's very raw still.

On Caicedo the club were told he'd be open to a move to Liverpool. They bid and had an offer accepted. Chelsea spoke to the agent who then convinced Caicedo to stay in London.

I don't see that as messy or disjointed. Obviously the club thought Caicedo was worth the money and is a far superior player to Lavia.

What could be messy is of they don't react well to missing out on Caicedo though. They need to move to their next target and move quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea's first, they have 6 in the box, against our 4, while 6 red shirts look on from afar. So many red shirts not anywhere near a blue shirt, who were they all marking, ghosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

None of that is true really though is it.

We've let 6-7 mids go including our captain and vice and Fab and dally for weeks on a player well offer 40 for but not 50m when we obviously have the funds so why in for him at all if 5-10m that much of deal breaker.

24 hours before season start we decide to hijack a Chelsea deal for almost 70m more than what we offered for Lavia for a player with a 1 more season of experience . Taking on a team who have spent 900m would hardly take lying down which have proven true.

Now we potentially lost out on both. Would recommend you take off the rose tinted glasses if you can't see what an absolute shocking handled mess this in. It's literally costing us points already forcing Gapko into unbalance mid. The moment Fab left, we should have had a replacement fullstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm guessing FSG could want out now. Full sale. Asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm guessing that I'm not alone in hoping that that's definitely not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Better the devil you know definitely but this Chelsea and Saudi business is all FSG's reasons x100.

. .

The ball was half cleared for a corner. Some of our lads pushed out to try and win the ball and start a counter attack. Dangerous moment for both teams potentially. If we’d won the ball, we’d have the extra men in attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Ok so Caicedo is off to Chelsea and apparently so is Lavia (FFP is a load of ****). As I said before I've no problem with the last minute bid for Caicedo given how good he is but why weren't we in for him from the start? The money being talked about is crazy and equally so with Lavia due to inexperience but I don't see how the FSG model works now with how transfers are currently being done. I'm not saying it's right but the landscape has changed. Right now I don't see us getting top 4.

So who do we go for? We need a starting 6 and another CB ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

We have had plenty of time to come up with a list of alternatives. My biggest fear is that we will get nobody else in this window and then the club / Klopp will come out and say we tried to get our targets but we were outbid by the richer clubs. Basically it will be Chelsea's fault and the fans should direct their frustrations at ffp rather than the club. We will be told we got nobody else in because we didn't feel the right player was available and that Klopp is happy enough with the squad. It has happened in previous windows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can imagine the majority of the fanbase being rightly furious if we don’t get anyone in because we couldn’t find the “right” player.

Once we let Fabinho go then a DM became an absolute requirement. And every club knows we need one so unless we find one with a release clause we’re happy to pay then the club is going to have to take a hit value wise and pay over the odds.

Trying to make do with what we have will just end up with another frustrating season where missing out on the CL is very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

TBF, we knew we needed a DM before Fabinho left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Caicedo is done. Then why is there still no movement anywhere from us. If we wanted Lavia just go get him ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I assume that you would be happy buying Lidl quality groceries for local Centra prices then yeah?

everything has a price relative to quality. The club had a valuation and were not prepared to go above it. The method has worked out well in the past, and has hampered other clubs.

would you rather the club over-spent on Lavia and then a week later were told that Caicedo/Tchouameni etc were on the market and available to buy but Liverpool couldn't buy him as they had already spent the money on Lavia? There are players still available. They made a play for Caicedo. If they didn't, this thread would be complaining still - 'why do we always take the cheap option' etc etc.

There is method behind the madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Because if rumours are to be believed the bid on Lavia is 55m from Chelsea, considering we valued him as a 32m pound player at the start of the summer, I can't see us touching that fee...

True, and if Fabinho had’ve stayed the move for Lavia would have made much more sense.

Have Fabinho start but have a replacement on the bench if he’s having a stinker, and give Lavia more game time on the cups/ EL. All going well then have him look to be our starter next year.

Now he’s gone the idea of spending 50m+ on a 19 year old as our only DM is very questionable. So I can see why the club may not have been keen on going over their valuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Is there a method though? There is nothing clever about wasting about 3 weeks putting in 3 bids for Lavia, each subsequent bid being very marginally better than the last, for a player you say we weren't prepared to meet Southampton's valuation for because we don't value him the same. Why waste weeks putting in two more bids instead of moving on. If we really wanted the player we should have just paid it. We have so far failed to get him because we are haggling over a couple of million, yet somehow we are ok with spending 110m on Caicedo because some last minute opportunity to spend it came up. There is nothing logical about it. Preseason is now over and the season has started and our squad is still extremely light. We are not bargaining from a position of strength here. Every club out there knows we need major midfield reinforcements and now they know we have plenty to spend. Unless there are release clauses in place no club is going to come out the wrong side of negotiations with us.

There is every chance we won't have anyone else coming in if the board decide it is better to save face and not get exploited over future fees.

'just paying for it' creates a world where clubs can name their price for Liverpool's targets and the club become fleeced. Look at Man Utd's transfer policy over the last 10 years. 'Just paying it' created a world where Harry Maguire cost £80m when Man City smartly knew better and signed Ake & Dias instead. Man United 'just paid' for Fred, AWB, Sancho, Antony etc etc when in reality the club should have walked away from the transfers with the outlandish fees being quoted for what those players had proven at the time. They paid a massive premium again this summer buying for an unknown kid for €75m because of it.

if that's what you want....

Liverpool were quoted £20m a few years back for Jamal Lewis from Norwich. The club held firm and didn't pay it. He ended up moving to Newcastle, where he was quickly left out of the team, left out of their 25 man PL squad last year and currently on loan in the Championship. Would you rather the club 'just paid it' then too?

I mean, I get the thing about buying a DM, but this isn't deadline day. There are still 3(?) weeks to go until the window closes. Who knows what (superior) player becomes available yet. I know I would much rather sign a top DM ready to play now over a Lavia. But if it is the last few days and still nobody is signed, I will want Lavia and then I will be saying 'just pay it'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Seems there might be legs in this one yet. Hopefully not another parody account. 😅

I never said I wanted the club to meet Southampton's valuation so not sure why you are so fixated on the just pay it quote. My point is that we have made 3 bids for Lavia which suggests more than just a passing interest. It suggests we really do want the player. If we don't want to meet Southampton's valuation why have we not walked away? Rumours now circulating that we intend to match Chelsea's bid. It's mad stuff if true and strengthens my point calling out the method to what we have been doing the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

60mil??? Madness. But the market in general is gone nuts so at this stage I'm kinda not surprised.

60 mil is an incredible amount for such an inexperienced player, the market is insane.

As talented as he might be it’s unlikely that he’ll solve all of our problems.

I would hope that we get another defender in if we do close out this deal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

And City get 12m of that

I really hope it's not true. If it is true we have been made look like mugs. Comical stuff.

• Advertisement

I thought that the club were very reluctant to pay the asking price, but also holding off as long as possible in case a superior alternative arose. if they paid the asking price instantly, it would be detrimental on two different aspects - other clubs seeing Liverpool as an easy sell and pricing themselves out of the bigger fish should it become available.

But in the last 10 mins, the club have made me look very foolish! I can't believe they are putting in a £60m package when they were reluctant to pay £40m a couple weeks ago.

I wonder were Brighton & Southampton in cahoots of somesort, they have extracted much larger transfer fees than they had originally planned. If they did, fair play to them as it would be smart. Dortmund used Klopp(Liverpool) to get a larger fee for Dembele from Barca a few years ago. And then Liverpool used that as a barometer for Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the way we've gone about this window, if we get Lavia, I'd be shocked if there's anyone else in the engine room. we may find a backup CB somewhere, but that's it.

a lot is going to be going on a young man's shoulders, and it's not right.

Klopp is going to have to work a miracle, and certain players are going to have to stay fit. i mean this slightly tongue-in-cheek, but not entirely - if we had CL football, there are few players that would be run into the ground.

no cahoots.

just a domino effect of Liverpool and Chelsea making a complete mess of the Caicedo saga, and as a result, Brighton and Southampton have benefitted. there wasn't any great planning involved - they just played the cards that they were dealt.

well, if they didn't, they should have. Both benefitted. They wanted £100m + £50m. They are receiving £115m (+ sell on clause) + £60m.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

In a few short years, to go from been able to identify and get best in class goalkeeper and centre back in Alison and Van Dijk (although that had its own transfer issues) to this fumbling around is unbelievable. It's a result of poor planning and not investing in the midfield over years. We're hoping for a Klopp miracle because everything recruitment related around the club is just a mess. To go from the best run club on and off the field imo to this in a few short years is hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

At the beginning of the window I'd have been happy to sign Lavia, Szoboszlai and MacAllister. However right now I do not think Lavia will even come close to solving the DM issue. Between the fee, the whole Caicedo 'saga', our desperate need for a DM and the pressure that will be on the lad I feel this is a transfer that could backfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lavia is not a solution to the obvious deficiencies on display yesterday. If we have 100m to spend I would hope we try and identify an actual elite Defensive midfielder. Lavia is a prospect, he has played very little top level football and all of it while getting minced on a hapless team.

This is a crucial moment. The team we saw yesterday - in the context of how our opponents have progressed around us - is well short of being able to qualify for the Champions League. That simply must be addressed before the end of the transfer window or we will be consigned to a long period of mid table irrelevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So you would have been happy but now won't be happy despite the same outcome, honestly this thread is getting as toxic at twitter at this stage

yes.

Liverpool tried to blitzkrieg Chelsea in the first 30 minutes, and hope it was enough. Once our fitness fell off a bit, Chelsea waltzed through the centre. It's gaping, it's obvious, and any serious club addressed it immediately. if they'd any cohesion up front, our CBs would've had a lot more trouble.

City are about to overpay ludicrously for Paqueta. but they've a need that has to be filled. they're serious, and they will do it.

Utd have done the same with Hojlund.

we all know what Arsenal have done recently in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Calm down dear. Liverpool still had Fabinho and Henderson at the start of the window. Adding Lavia to them rather than instead of them is hardly the same outcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement