Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He did. We're too honest as team and then get punished for it too.

Compare that to Nunez last year against Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

DMs that are still to look at:

Joshua Kimmich

Kone

Sangere

Andre

Florentino Luis

Tyler Adams

Onana

Zubimendi

Amrabat

Koopmeiners

Ndidi

Soumare

Anybody else got any names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Koopeniers has moved this summer.

Here's a radar comparing Adams, Fofanna and Cacideo.

Fofanna looks ideal but Adams could be a good option especially if TAA is going to be beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can you send that list to Liverpool, as they don't appear to know any other defensive midfielders exist outside of Caicedo and Lavia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ya I read that somewhere too when it was announced that he was coming on board, from my understanding it’s Jorg’s job was to work on the shortlist with Klopp and contact their representatives to declare Liverpool’s interest.

Negotiations on the transfers and contracts was then passed on to Mike Gordon and Billy Hogan once contact had been made and it was confirmed that the player was open to the move. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They didn't vanish.

We lost all semblance of control when the intensity dropped after the opening blitzkrieg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No fvxk that, he did the right thing. Just because others act the boll1x, thankfully we're not too bad and I for one am glad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

who are we linked with today that doesn't want to join us folks?

I read Bournemouth have met Tyler Adams release clause but haven't seen any movement since.

Adams probably waiting / hoping a bigger club come in for him after the interest from Chelsea.

20 mill for a utility player isn't bad but we still need a dedicated DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Guardian reporting Lavia to Chelsea all but done. WTF

Seem to be confirming our 60m bid on Sunday night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Think we are looking for a cheaper short term solution to DM now. Bit of a disaster how this has turned out but we did put up the money for Caicedo, he chose Chelsea can't blame the club for that, Lavia is a fiasco though, had a free run last week.

What is going on with our transfers though, big questions have be asked on why Ward left so soon after taking over from Edwards. Ward looked to be doing a good job too, bringing in Luis Diaz and Gakpo for decent prices and I presume he put in the ground work for Alexis Mac. We need to be the smartest club again if we are to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

Joyce reported the opposite and he’s very reliable.

Lavia makes no sense to go all-in on at that price and I think the club knows that.

The last week or so has been a complete sh*tshow regardless, but there’s time to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The whole "Klopp being a big draw to players" seems to have worn off. With what has happened with the form of Fab and a lesser extent Henderson and even how Gini has faired since leaving, players could be thinking to themselves that Klopp's style is not compatible with a long career at the top.

• Advertisement

I think this is overblown that we are losing our "pulling power". Caicedo was a target of Chelsea all summer with numerous bids, Lavia by all accounts has been offered more money and London is a draw for a players. We got one of best MF in the league and one of the best MF from the Bundesliga, without CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I can't help but think Lavia is being shortsighted, guaranteed starter vs bench warmer, but to each their own. The security of the longer contract and London are big factors though.

I'm not disappointed to miss out though. 50M+? Crazy money for potential because he's still very unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Agreed. The issue appears to be that Liverpool did not have a clear transfer strategy once Fabinho and Henderson wanted to go. They shouldn't have been let go until confirmed targets had been identified, teed-up, fees & contracts pencilled in. Now they're stumbling around like a drunk with fistfuls of cash that no one wants to serve another drink to. This issue now is that any midfield player that they look to sign may think "I'm not their first choice, I'm not sure if I'll be in the manager's plans in a year".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I didn't realise the window was still open for a few more weeks, ofc id rather have the team together and settled before the season started but still enough time to get something done.

Thats fine those departures were unexpected but we needed a new DM since the season ended. The very fact we grabbed the 40m for Fabinho without a 2nd thought confirmed Klopp knew he wouldn't recover his form. Its more worrying that the club thought Fab could still be 1st choice DM this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Think it is almost time the Mbappe to Liverpool rumours are due to cycle back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

This. As bad as the rejections by Caicedo and Lavia appear to look, the big issue here is the apparent lack of long term planning at the club. Forget about our lack of success with negotiations. Our current predicament boils down to lack of planning and the ability to identify weaknesses in the squad and proactively plan in advance to remedy it. We are reacting to what happens and we are slow to react at that. Letting Fab, Henderson and Milner go without having replacements lined up is terrible mismanagement. Their long term replacements should have been lined up as far back as last summer. That was pretty obvious to a lot of fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd say Chelsea will field a trio in midfield of Fernandez, Caicedo and Lavia tbh, they'll sell or loan Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As far as I’m aware, Lavia has never even had the chance to ‘reject’ us. Only one bid has ever been accepted for him, which is Chelsea’s.

From there, there’s two possibilities - that we did come in with a massive bid far and away above our previous valuations, and none of the usual LFC reporters are in the know, and Southampton never publicly acknowledged that higher bid - or, that we didn’t actually submit a 60m bid.

We're going to have the same issues with our defense in the next 12/18 months. There's seems to be no agenda to get on top off and fix our ageing/burnt out/under performing/just not good enough personal we currently have back there...getting in 1 defensive midfielder is not going to to be the magic bullet that will fix everything at the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

They've made a haims of the last few transfer windows. Not sure what is going on behind the scenes, but starting the season in this position is awful management and to be rebuffed so publicly by what now looks like 2 players is not very good.

I'm sure that they have a list of other targets to work through, but midefield was a known problem for ages, the deals should have been setup and ready to go early in the window. Strong chance of us now paying over the odds for either a marque signing or even a stopgap until a viable alternative becomes available.

I don't think Lavia will be a bench warmer, he will go into midfield with Caicedo and Enzo in a trio the way Poch likes to set up. That has the making to be an unbelievable midfield line up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Another, more likely imo, is that the Liverpool ITK journalist are Liverpool mouthpieces just like Romano ia dor chelsea and they've been told we didn't put in a bid to try and distance ourselves from the embarrassment of being rejected by two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anthony Taylor named fourth official for Bournemouth on Saturday, and Paul Tierney on VAR.

Think I'll just go for a very long walk on Saturday afternoon.

Not a peep from Southampton or their journos about it either though. There’s literally only one journo saying there was a bid, and that’s it. Every other story in the likes of the metro etc are all referencing that one guy. That’s a pretty weird occurrence.

• Advertisement

Oh and for the cherry on top, the ref who elbowed Robbo last season is the Assistant VAR.

You have to laugh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Some rumours now linking us to Lille's baleba.... Only 19 but apparently Brighton in for him already. Also kone being mentioned again now that he's nearly recovered from injury

We need an experienced DM who can go straight into the team, not a 19 year old with potential learning on the job. Get the experienced DM in first, (even if only a stop gap, while waiting for a more long term fix). One of the reasons we're in this mess is signing young players with potential rather than signing players with experience who can contribute to the team straight away. Signing young players is fine, but the first team should take priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea offering WHOLE CAREER contracts is why those two player went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Our forward line is sorted for the next few years with Salah (31), Diaz (26), Nunez (24), Gakpo (24) and Jota (26). We also have Doak who is 17 that made his debut on the weekend. While not assured that he will make it, still a player in the wings. Then our midfield, while not complete, seems well set for the future as well with Thiago (32), Mac Allister (24), Jones (22), Szoboszlai (22), Elliott (20) and Bajcetic (18). There are more needed but hopefully we will sign 1 or 2 players to help when we get injuries.

The defense will need to be changed but I suspect we will look at that next year. We do not sign a new team in one window so suspect we will focus on them next year. We will need our experienced defense to help out the relatively young midfield and attacking line. I am still not sure why so many are so down on our squad, one or two more additions that can contribute and we will be more than fine this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Get in ahead of Brighton might be a good policy.

Eh Exequiel Palacios !

Perhaps out of the few who would tick a lot of the right boxes for Liverpool could be Xabi Alonso's Argentine marvel, Exequiel Palacios, at Bayer Leverkusen.

An established midfielder who was part of the World Cup squad alongside Alexis Mac Allister that finally secured the long-coveted trophy for Lionel Messi, Palacios is still only 24 years old despite his wealth of experience.

Capped for Argentina 25 times, which is more than Mac Allister at the same age, Palacios also has close to 200 games for Bayer Leverkusen and River Plate combined.

This experience alone would make him an ideal candidate to come in and fill the void for Fabinho, but it's not just the experience that makes Palacios the right fit, it's also his playing style

Comfortable on the ball and capable of pulling off decisive switches, spraying the ball from left to right, Palacios is also dynamic and reads the game well. Last season, Palacios ranked in second place among midfielders in the Bundesliga for interceptions per 90 minutes, averaging 6.65 as per Wyscout.

He was also ranked in the top ten for defensive duel success rate, winning 61.38 per cent of his 7.36 duels per 90.

Agile and able to make quick decisions on the pitch, Palacios is capable of covering a lot of ground, and there are few midfielders who are better at progressing the ball than him in the Bundesliga.

Palacios ranks third for forward passes per 90 among midfielders at 18.94, and fifth for progressive passes at 8.33.

And he has a 35m release clause as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

I have no idea why he's never mentioned, he's ideal, a world cup winner who's stock will rise this season, unless someone gets him now at a reasonable release clause price

I have seen it reported in the guardian and in the athletic with David Orenstein as the source. Neither of them eluded to another journo being their source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

To which we could tell them that Mo Salah was also not our first choice and he worked out ok, plus a few others.

.👑.

The Guardian IS the Jacob Steinberg one. He's a Guardian reporter (with 90+% of his articles being on London teams, primarily Chelsea and West Ham).

And you'll have to link the Ornstein Athletic one because the Athletic article by him I've just read, and his tweets around it, have no mention of a 60 million bid by Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The lads lost their heads a bit last Sunday, having a 19 year old DM in there wouldn't have fixed that, nor would have a brand new CB.

I don't really envy the people in charge of transfers tbh, they've a monumental job on their hands to get 2 players that can hit the group running, and who can be leaders on the pitch. I'm convinced they didn't think they would have the problem that Fab and Hendo left them with in this window.

They can't sign players in the 19-21 year old bracket to fix this, or at least I hope they won't.

I don't know much about him, but, if he has a release clause of 35 Million and is a decent DM, why haven't Liverpool been in for him?, surely this is the kind of signing that should have made earlier in the window, and certainly once they knew Fabinho was leaving.

Don't have access tot he original so can't 100% verify but mentioned in here. I haven't seen anyone baring Liverpool ITKs claim no bid was received. Southampton aren't going to say rjey received a bid after Liverpoold denied it either.

Ok, so the article you just linked attributes this to Ornstein: "Now, The Athletic‘s David Ornstein reports that Lavia has decided to join Chelsea instead of Liverpool, following Caicedo to west London."

Yup, that's all good, and stuff we all know. Has nothing to do with him reporting anything at all about Liverpool coming back in and offering a 60 mill deal.

Your story also links right to the Athletic article itself; https://theathletic.com/4764461/2023/08/14/romeo-lavia-chelsea-liverpool-transfer/ which again says absolutely nothing about Liverpool coming back in with a new big bid. And Ornstein - who tweets any big news like this - has also never tweeted anything on that subject.

It's out of the ordinary for a transfer agreement between two teams to be completely unreported by anyone except one reporter who does not cover either team.

(as an aside - a 60 million bid also makes no sense regardless... he's going to chelsea for 50 plus some add ons. there's zero benefit to not offering the same terms, since that fee was already accepted)

We could have Michael Edwards along with a team of the best scouts the sport has ever seen, but even that wouldn’t make a difference if we persist with the same tactics that we’ve seen against Chelsea and all through pre-season.

It’s more unbalanced than Man City’s books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement