Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm not greedy but league and European Cup double please 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I wouldn’t be so sure, only 2 weeks ago I was kicking around in the back garden with the little fella and went over on my ankle. Thought it was just a sprain but after a week of hobbling around on it the swelling was getting worse so off to swiftcare with me and low and behold I had a fairly nasty fracture! 22 years playing rugby and it’s soccer that ends it all 😂😂😂

Thankfully Robbo confirmed he’s fine and it’ll just be a few weeks ⚽️⚽️⚽️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah your right…! Let’s get both back! 💪🏼

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hey all! It's been a while, I've been busy...

Team for Norwich, remembering that we can have 9 subs on the bench

Alisson

Trent, Matip, Konate, Kostas (Virg and Joe look good, but not played enough mins yet)

Harvey, Milner, Keita (Same for Thiago, Fab and Hendo, need another week)

Salah, Jota, Mane (Bobby will struggle to get ahead of Jota for a while)

Subs: Kells, Virg, Joe, Fab, Thiago, Jones, Ox, Taki, Bobby

Missing out: Adrian, Neco, Rhys, Origi

Should be gone: Karius, Davies, Phillips, Shaq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you not need to name two subs on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sure Firmino will struggle to get ahead of Jota. Firmino has been Klopps number one striker for some time and, even as good as Jota has been, I think Klopp still favours Firmino, and likes Jota's impact off the bench. Firmino has also had a really good pre season, scoring two in the last game while wearing the captains armband. Firmino starts for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Jota is in place for this week, and if he goes well, I don't think he'll automatically swap him out. We'll be making changes in defence and midfield in coming games, so he'll want to control how many changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Huge season ahead for Naby & Ox don't perform and it'll be there last for us,

Iv a feeling Bobby will be back to his best but Jota will also have a blinder & it'll be a toss up each week to who starts,

The back line worries me at the moment we don't look thight ,

Vital we get a win on Saturday ,we need to get off to a flyer this season ,

Midfield looks a bit light for an away game on the opening weekend when there stadium will be bouncing ,

I think Fab will start with Millie & Naby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I can’t see Harvey having jumped to the front of the queue - think he was just played with senior guys in preseason to see how he’d do given a proper chance in a position he’s not played before.

Of the guys with full preseasons, would still have Ox and Jones ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Anyone else excited? Feels like a proper season coming up with fans back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Jota starts, we are going to see one of the front 3 phased out this season, Firmino looks the obvious one. A couple of goals in pre-season isn't going to convince me Firmino is back to his best, he was anonymous for much of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Konate is just a kid, would be weird to throw him into the first team. Is it really that good to go into the team, great if he is, but I see Gomez ahead of him, and Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wouldn't say he was anonymous, more just that he had a lot more overall poor performances than usual.

In his better seasons, he often had brilliant performances and never got on the scoresheet, but we accepted his lower goal return because of his brilliant performances overall. Even in the league winning season, his goal & assist numbers were down but the performances were there. And he also had some very big winning goals in the campaign too. Last season, he was not getting the goal return, but was also not having the underlying good performance to fall back on. That was the big worry for me. He missed some very big chances in key moments of games, and those misses on top of poor performances really put the scrutiny on him and fans were on his back.

He really does have to improve one of those aspects to his game again this season coming. Either start getting higher numbers of goals & assists or see a return to the better performances. I'd be backing the latter, if any is to happen. He had a good spell around December last season, which coincided with some fans being in the stadiums, so I'm hoping that the fans being back now will help kickstart him back into form. Hopefully the break over the summer and a trip to Brazil would have helped him too.

Jota will start the first couple game though I would think. I'm not a fan of him up front, as I think he is better coming onto a ball rather than trying to get the ball to stick to him but let's see how it goes. Starting Jota over Firmino in the Real Madrid game and was one of Klopp's biggest mistakes last season IMO, if not the biggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Exactly this. Last season felt so stale and numb.

Even friends of mine who are die hard Arsenal fans lost interest in their team.

So happy to have fans back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Athletic reporting Woodburn has impressed this pre season and Klopp is reluctant to let him, there has been offers from all over Europe and the championship and the club won't stand in his way if he wants to leave as he is in the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Any word on Robertson yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would expect it to be Matip and Konate since both had full proper preseasons, and both are playing very well. Virg and Gomez looking good, but may as well be a wee bit cautious and give them another week or two. Having said that, wouldn't be astonished if Virgil started either.

Wouldn't call Konate a kid either really... like, he's young enough (22), but he does still have over 100 senior matches behind him, and a ridiculously mature level of talent.

I think this is the club being clever ,

Makes Woodburn guy more attractive , Liverpool would like to keep him but won't stand in his way as opposed to he has no future someone come take him ,

He done ok in pre-season and that's what impressed Klopp because he wasn't completely crap ,

• Advertisement

Would i be right in saying Mo didn't score in any pre-season games ?

Not that i worry about him as i expect him to get a brace Saturday

Reading there that Tsimikas is a hugely popular and very vocal figure in the dressing and he seems to have taken over from Lovren as Salah's BFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

I read yesterday that Mo hasn't scored in a friendly since we hammered Napoli in Lansdowne Road a few years back.

I hope to see Virgil and Konate starting, need to get that partnership up and running. Matip will be injured in 3 more games, gomez won't be far off.

The other thing I noticed over the pre season was Klopp looked totally refreshed and rested as well and that is a huge bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It could be argued we've a weaker squad at present from last year.

Gini out, replaced by Elliot (kinda).

Konate looks to be replacing Phillips (kinda).

Notwithstanding the return of VVD and Gomez, we're still weaker imho, and I'd expect some absences here and there, eg a secondary injury from either Gomez or VVD.

None of this is accounting for absences through the season with Covid, I'd expect this to effect all teams through the season to some extent.

For that reason, I'd say we definitely need to bolster the squad somewhat before the end of the window, an established midfielder/forward at least is needed. We have a good squad, but it's probably weaker than the start of last season, and the competition have gotten stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Salah scored against Man City in the pre-season tournament a couple of years ago. Thankfully he comes up with the goals in games that matter.

In recent years our pre-season goal scorers have been dominated by the players that wouldn't see sight of goal when the season starts. Brewster had a hot streak in pre-season not so long ago. Wilson, Ojo, Origi and Sturridge have been similarly guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I would agree that the squad is weaker without Gini but I can understand why the club have not signed anyone else yet because if we look at the squad it is bloated

GK - Alisson - Kelleher - Adrian 

RB - TAA - Williams 

LB - Robertson - Tsimikas 

CB - VVD - Gomez - Matip - Konate 

CM - Fabinho - Henderson - Thiago - Keita - Jones - Ox - Milner - Elliott

Attackers - Salah - Mane - Firmino - Jota - Minamino

Up for sale - Phillips, Davies, Shaq and Origi

That's a first team squad of 28 and that's not including Karius, Rhys Williams, Woodburn, Ojo who are still around so I can see why it's a sell before we buy policy. Plus we need to move out any non home grown players to sign non home grown players. I think if we see the expected outs happen we'll have quick deals wrapped up to get players in. I'm very confident of the team putting in a great season even if we get no more ins.

New sponsor signing,

Sonos becomes Liverpool's new sound partner in a multi year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Have to say I was hoping for more of a marquee sponsor signing this summer. Our bus journey into the stadium sponsored by Volvo or something like that.

Sonos are well known but they're not paying for mbappe. 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Exactly, from the non homegrown we have only Shaq and Origi that look like they are up for sale so that leaves 2 non homegrown signings.

There might be deals already prepared and ready to go once we have sold Shaq and Origi.

I think it would be a foreign player being signed as the market for English players now is too expensive. Grealish is good but if we heard 3 years ago he would be bought for 100 million we would have all laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Brewster scored his first goal for Sheffield United after 313 days since signing.

On paper it looked like it was the right club for him with the way Wilder had played the season before but it looks a terrible choice now.

Talent being wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Being sponsored by one of the leading companies in sound equipment, who are going to upgrade the stadium sound system to improve fan experience as part of the package, and, Liverpool are their only sports sponsorship arrangement, plus they are no doubt paying quite a bit for the privilege, can only benefit the club, not sure why you would be disappointed. All the top clubs have a tiered sponsorship system, there can only be a couple at the top (SC/Axa/Nike/Expedia), and they are already in place, Sonos joins the tier below that.

I think you competently missed the sarcasm of the post.

Doku & Sanches are being linked this morning,

Liverpool have to sell players first to get them to clear up space to bring in non homegrown players is part of the reports.

Both players being quoted around the €40m price range.

Apparently Doku wouldn't take up a non-home grown spot because he's only 19.

Source - Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, 100%.

I think everyone is feeling refreshed too, including the fans, the manager and the players. Think having crowds back will be massive as well, as all of the Liverpool players are big game, feed of the energy of the crowd, type of lads. Must have been surreal playing in empty stadiums for so long.

I'm expecting big things from the squad this year, in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Read that this morning and it certainly makes the potential transfer more interesting with the HG quota. Being quoted a awful lot of money for someone who has only played in the Belgian & French leagues. He did have a good Euros and impressed there but it's not exactly like he was prolific in those leagues either, his largest goal return is 4 goals in a season. The worry there is that he becomes another Markovic who impressed in a lower quality league and not able to make the big step up at a young age. Although there were some other mitigating circumstances with Markovic.

I think Liverpool of late generally look for forwards who have hit double figures in goals in the seasons preceding their transfer. Jota signed after scoring 16, 10 & 18 in the season preceding. Mane scored 15 & 10. Salah scored 19 & 15. Firmino scored 10 & 22. Even Minamino was hitting double figures every season for Salzburg. Basically they all knew where the goal was. Doku has a large gap to bridge there. I think Liverpool would be reluctant to shell out over £40m when there is no guarantee that he will score goals or have an upward trajectory of scoring goals.

The thing with Doku is Liverpool have been tracking him since he was about 13 so this just isn't a lets buy the current hotshot young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The Sanchez one seems to be gathering a little more traction over the last few days

Gini with the bullet dodged joining PSG

Sign more under 21 players and kick the problem down the road a few seasons. If the rumor is true you'd have to wonder what has changed behind the scenes if the club are finally moving for the player now. Liverpool were strongly linked with attempting to sign him before the Euros began. Nothing happened then and now just before the new season kicks off the club are reportedly interested again.

While what your saying is absolute correct don't forget the big difference in age,

Mane 24 , Salah 25 , Bobby 24 , Taki 24 ,Jota 23 when we signed them ,

Doku has just turned 19 so was 18 for the whole of last season so at least 5/6 years to reach the level of the other guys when we signed them , What numbers where they posting at 18 ?

I think Doku is a case of buying him before he explodes on the scene

Player may have been focusing on the Euros and wanted to leave it until after that. Then add in extended holidays and he may not have been available to discuss a move?

Hes definitely not someone to have a big impact this year but could learn from Mo and you'd think that in three to four years time he'd have improved his goal tally to replace him.

I would like an experienced player to replace Gini but the whole point of letting Gini go for free was to reduce the age of the midfield so it'll be someone around 23 or under. A young forward like Doku to replace Origi/Shaqiri if we can sell them would be my preference also.

Liverpool originally tried to sign him when he was 16 years old, so the club has had an eye on him for some time. In March there was an article in which Doku claimed it was too big a step at the time and he later chose to move to Stade Rennais because it was a development stepping stone. Watford's Ismaila Sarr and Raphina of Leeds both followed that path to the English league. The Guardian had an article on Doku before the Euro tournament began in which he was quoted as saying that Klopp told him in 2018 that he was seen as Mane's potential replacement in a few years. Maybe the club are following up on their interest now before Doku has a breakout season and signing him becomes more difficult.

I wouldn't read too much into his goal scoring stats, he only turned 19 in May. To put his stats to date in context, Mane is 29 now, 10 years ago he was playing for Metz in Ligue 2 where he scored 1 goal and had 1 assist. Doku has the potential and could be a very wise investment by the club.

• Advertisement

If you got Doku you have the three main guys in Bobby (29), Mane (29) and Mo (29) and then Jota (24) as Manes replacement and Doku (19) as Mo's replacement.

Get someone like Vlahović or someone around 22/23 to replace Bobby and you've got your future front line sorted and given them time to learn from the main guys over the next two to three years.

Advertisement