Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also there are literally 16 seconds between Trent's booking and Anthony Gordon doing the exact same thing and getting away with it. The refs can't even uphold precedent for SIXTEEN SECONDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Could it possibly be that we play three up front 🤔. We got away with this for a long time when both Bobby and Mane worked their asses off dropping back. We don't have the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Newcastle didn't threaten much? Almiron hitting post and the 2 on 1 where had Harvey Barnes had squared a simple ball it was game over thats just 2 examples . It was incredible result yesterday but really papers over some worrying defensive issues evident in all 3 games and preaseason.

I thought Endo was poor yesterday and abit concerned he's going to the alternative to Caicedo. Its clear he needs to be improve alot and that's natural given he's been landed into incredibly difficult circumstances. Dismissing people's concern around him and comparing him to players with considerable PL experience when they arrived who were much younger is ridiculous. We are taking a huge gamble if Endo is our last MID signing but think our business is done.

Bigger concern for me is Trent , he's such an absolute liability defensively along with our highline tactics that every away game feels like a we will drop points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I feel for Endo, there's a massive amount of pressure and responsibility being put on him because the people who are responsible for putting together a competitive squad are doing a terrible job of it. I've no doubt Endo will give his all when he lines for the team, and if his all isn't up to the standard that's not his fault, it's the clubs for putting him in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You have highlighted 2 chances, and then the save from Almiron. Do you remember any other guilt edge chances where we were lucky to survive and Alisson had to make brilliant saves? Was it any more than we normally face against a good quality team? We were 10 men with our best defender off, our next best injured, our RB on a yellow and on tightrope, a new DM which is just the other side of useless, our LW off due to the red card. All of that was against us, and its not like we were surviving chance after chance. Newcastle applied pressure, but I thought we coped quite well with that. That is a Newcastle problem honestly, they have serious shortcomings in their squad and this have been highlighted against City and us.

We have shown a grit we didn't have last year, but people seem to be so focused on finding anything negative to complain about they are forgetting to enjoy the positives. Our squad and team is probably the 3rd best in the league this year, but like every other squad if you get injuries at the wrong time you will be exposed. Klopp had to hammer this point in and around 2017/18 I think as well, when people were lamenting an upcoming match and the quality team we will face, and he had to remind people that our team is very good as well. I feel he is going to have to do a similar job this year as the scars from last year seem to be tough for some to forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's not that important in itself, but it can be indicitave I think of a lads attitude and how well he's settling in. Having the language helps lads settle and their families be part of the society, certainly hwlpa

Was a critism thrown at Naby for instance, apparently he never learned how to speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Our press is gone?

Our press won us the game in the last 10 minutes when Klopp went for broke with the substitutions. Would have been insane to press earlier in the game with 10 v 11. Our front 3 and midfield’s press was outstanding in the last 10, and meant Newcastle kept giving the ball away and that led to our chances

Of course we started badly, but that was down to Trent rather than our midfield. And Trent wasn’t helped by the ridiculous early decision not to give him a free. He had a decent second half and played an important part in the equaliser.

But give our midfield a few more games before condemning them as being as bad as last year!!! Szobo is going to be exceptionally good for us.

Can only imagine the meltdown if we drop points v a very good Villa team next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We were lucky to be only 1 down. Having said that, wasn't impressed with Newcastle at all in the second half, very poor when the game was there to be put to bed. Still, 4 points out of 2 tough away games, take that all day long. 3 match ban for Virgil I take it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm in 2 minds about the CB situation. On the one hand Gomez might not be the best guy to cover for a game here and there for a suspension like Van Dijk has now but on the other hand if there were long terms injuries and he were forced to start every game for months and months it could be the making of him. There is definitely a very good defender in there but he generally needs alot of games consecutively to get his confidence or whatever back. He was excellent for months in our title winning season.

All in all I'm not overly worried about getting another CB in. No way we are getting 2 more first teamers in before the window closes and given the choice between a CB and a mid I'd rather another midfielder before the window close personally. We are basically 1 injury away from playing the kids in midfield whereas love em or hate em at least Matip and Gomez are experienced players.

We shouldn't even be discussing Newcastle squad remotely stronger than ours but chronic last of investment means 2 yearsbon we are way off arsenal and City to the point we discussing Newcastle now.

Watch the game if you want more example of on how easily we could have been 2 down. Gordon skinned Trent numerous times and had very dangerous balls into box, Almiron hit the post ,forced world class saves and Skyed a great opportunity. Harvey Barnes failure to put Wilson through was turning point that we punished them for.

Agreeing we showed great heart and thought Jurgen made great subs but I totally disagree our midfield and defence is 3rd best in the league .Mac and Szobo have played 2 games and endo 1 . At RB we are perhaps the most exposed defence in top 6 with a best goalie in the world bailing us out so many times already this (Chelsea and Newcastle)

• Advertisement

I'm glad we got the win if for no other reason than Alisson's save actually meaning something, incredible stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is there any players that haven't been linked to Saudi Arabia

I can't stand people using a part of a a season 4 years ago to justify Joe Go long term.

If we have to rely on him the odd time then fair enough but we need better.

How are you not worried at CB? It was an issue two weeks ago and now out first choice pairing is injured/suspended.

He's probably one who would take the money and a chance to play regular football. But yea, he's our spare wheel when we get a puncture.

I hope VVD isn't going to get a longer ban for the abuse to the refs. One game we can deal with/

Joe Gomez , Salah double bid incoming from Al Ittihad

170m for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bit of talk on twitter that we will make a move for Gravenberch before the window clises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd rather that Gomez stays at the club this year myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why would we let Gomez go? We're already light in defense, ideally we'd add a defender not let one go. Gomez offers cover at CB and RB, if he was to go, we'd need to get someone in who could do both, plus they would need to settle quickly as both Konate and Matip are injury prone ( plus Matip leaving next summer) and VVD has his own issues. I think Gomez will play a bigger part in our season than expected. If he can cut out those lapses in concentration he's a fine defender. I definitely wouldn't like to see him leave this season.

Can't stop watching highlights and reaction videos of Sunday.

It's funny how these threads evolve. The actual debate is more do we need to sign someone because Joe played half decent on Sunday?

We do but we are nowhere near sufficient on numbers to be letting anyone go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Haven't posted after the match but quoting myself, that was a really satisfying 3 points after an ugly game!

Under Howe, his backroom staff and Saudi ownership Newcastle have become an ugly club.

I felt sorry for them under Mike Ashley but now I would love to see them really struggle. Howe's tactics are pure small man inferiority complex.

As pointed out Gordon should have been on the yellow for the first push on Trent and a second yellow for kicking the ball away a minute later.

Other players going down with injury time wasting at home when 1-0 up against 10 men!

We need another 3 points at the weekend against Villa pull a bit further away with points being dropped between Arsenal v United and Brighton v Newcastle.

A draw in both of those games would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I didn't actually click on the link and now see that was from The Sun. Apologies guys, wouldn't have posted that had I known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It absolutely will not happen as we're not in the CL, but Sell Mo if and only if we can fleece the Saudis and get Mbappe with the money. Can put a release in for Real in 2025 or whatever; get the money back. But he's the only player I'd want instead of Mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I feel like the entire Saudi league is tasked with disrupting Liverpool. Are they linked to as many players with other clubs? Only got wind of the Jesus one at Arsenal today, so maybe they are.

Those 4 clubs obviously have the funds to buy 64 top players for a first choice 16 and another 40 Winston bogardes.

In a way it would feel better if they all just got what they wanted in one summer and we could achieve some stability. The current status is crap.

Only positive is it doesn't seem to be affecting Mo too much, huge quality goal contributions in all three games so far.

• Advertisement

Salah is so young,only turned 31 weeks back, and will be still 31 once this season ends, plus his peak will be lasting 3 more seasons, He would get a big money move at 34 easily , Ideally Liverpool would offer him an extension on his current contract, it's too short

Toby, I fear you'll be even more inconsolable than most if Mo discovers Guinness and snack boxes in the near future.

Post edited by noodler on

Douglas Luiz the latest to be linked with on twitter

Doesn't seem like there's been any concrete transfer talk since signing. Hoping for a surprise before Friday but fearing we're done with incomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s a complete joke that a country that owns a team in the PL also essentially runs another league with bottomless funds.

Being able to hoover up rival teams players while presumably Newcastle will have a handy enough time transferring any player from the Saudi league in if they wish.

I’m pretty certain Salah won’t go this year but it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes next year. Can’t imagine why Saudi team throwing huge bids down for any Newcastle player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Too many links, not enough action. I'd have Luiz through.

If we don't make at least two moves before Friday, the excitement of Sunday will quickly be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don’t think transferring players from the Middle East is what they have in mind. In theory, you could see Newcastle signing 10 of the best players in the Saudi league, all on loan without paying any (or a negligible amount) of their wages. It’s a win-win-win situation because the Saudis can compete in the UCL through Newcastle, the club themselves can sign any mercenary they wish at no cost and the players themselves will still earn the crazy money, but they won’t have to live in Saudi Arabia and can still compete in the biggest competitions in Europe.

If that isn’t their plan, I don’t know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This one would be particularly embarrassing - was into the last year of his contract last season when we were linked with him, didn’t sign him, and he signed a new deal in October.

If we go back now and spend a fortune after having the option of a cut price deal last year (when we really could’ve done with him) it’ll just be a head wreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Honestly, I'd look at it the opposite way - if FSG go back for him then at least they would recognise that they have made mistakes before and are trying to put it right.

• Advertisement

I liked this analysis from fourfourtwo's resident Geordie on our tactics after the red

"The most impactful and effective tactical change I have ever scene in a football stadium"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Miguel Delaney reporting we are about to bid for ndidi from Leicester. Another injury prone midfielder. What the hell is going on.....

It's was only watching back on MOTD is was so unbelievably obvious Ellen DeGeneres pushed Trent first and should have booked. I hated seeing him of all people scoring later on.

Even now from different angles I think VVD which I was okay with being a red was actually a yellow. None the less I've loved watching replays from different angles of Nunez goals and seeing Jurgen and players reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Few years ago he'd of been great but thats a real meh if there is any truth to it. I wouldn't say hes injury prone though.

Didn't Miguel Delaney say about a week ago we were in for Doucoure?

If it's true it's real bargain basement stuff. Despite being in for 110 mil for caicedo only a few weeks ago.

On top of the 4 fouls he was called for and countless fouls he was let away with, Joelinton commits this new automatic yellow card offence twice right in front of the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What is going on with recruitment, its so scatter gun and huge departure from what we are used to. We were willing to spend 110m on Caicedo, that bid wasn't made up it was negotiated with Brighton and confirmed by them. Where is the fall back options, don't tell me the best they can come up with is Ndidi and Endo.

• Advertisement

Lol and literally just now daveockop is reporting French media saying we have sent him a contract offer prior to a potential bid to palace.

Going to be a hectic few days methinks...

Advertisement