Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

When does the actual transfer window close and are the Saudis confined by the same dates?

The next one mostly overlaps with AFCON so I'm guessing he's got going to go then (unless he goes early)?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This Friday for Premier league and main European leagues.

Sep 20th for Saudis according to Fifa. (Sep 7th according to Saudis )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If this is the case, I personally think we should just try and play big Virg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Random here, but am I correct in saying that Liverpool vs Brentford (currently down for Saturday 11th November 15.00) has to be changed to Sunday 12th. Europa League will be on Saturday, and the International break will be starting on the 13th, so clubs cannot play the Monday night? It's the latter part that I am not sure of, but just wanted to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I just can't believe that Salah would leave this week. That match on Sunday was exhilarating to sit at home and watch, it must have been incredible to be a part of.

Why would you give that up to play in a Mickey Mouse retirement league when you are already a multi-millionaire many times over and at the peak of your powers?

It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Honestly thought that at this stage of the week we'd have heard something concrete about an offer made/deal struck. The longer it goes, the more I think we're just going to leave things as is which would be negiglence of the highest order. Honestly don't know why Klopp puts up with it.

I hope we don't do that typically FSG thing of buying a few no-marks to show some sort of activity in the transfer market - a Melo, Davies or Kabak type signing - and appease fans that way.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think for a second he'll leave, but really it wouldn't be that hard to believe if he did. It makes a lot more sense for Salah to go to Saudi than many of the other players who have gone.

I think the opposite. Salah is still a world class player. He has a lot to give at the highest level.

Hendo, Fabinho, Bobby definitely are not in that bracket currently, as are most of the rest of the other players that went there.

It makes little sense for him to go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Beggars belief no one has bought him yet, he's been a solid performer anytime he has stepped into the line up for us. He'd forge a fine career in the championship or a promoted team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Come on Liverpool...get the reinforcements in.

It's really frustrating at this point.

I'm trying to not freak out but they are not making it easy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I wouldn’t get my hopes up of any more signings myself, completely resigned to nothing happening at this stage.

It’s the usual transfer window cycle under FSG: One or two quick signings to impress the fans, a month or so of “missing out” on other targets and then a week or two of “waiting to see if a player becomes available” to finish off the window, usually with a panic signing thrown in somewhere along the way.

It’s just easier to accept from now on that whoever we sign in the first two weeks of the window, that’ll be it essentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s the way I’m guessing it’s gonna go.

Got ticket in the ballot for it, so booked flights out Saturday, back Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We won't be getting anyone in at this stage unless Melo wants to come back.....

Thanks.

Yeah I'm the same but might have to come back Sunday for work commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It early days, but Melo appears to have relaunched his career as a box-to-box midfielder playing in a double pivot since moving to Fiorentina. The game against Inter at the weekend will be a big test but he looks to be over the woes he suffered at Liverpool and Juventus.

That’s crazy. The only way I could ever imagine him as a “box-to-box” player is one who goes from one box of painkillers to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That's the thing, i think klopp is at the centre of this. He's the one who is making the value calls on players. He's the one passing on options.

FSG have set up a model that the club management put in a director of football. Klopp had outlasted them all. This malaise starts when he becomes untouchable and the transfer directors start to mysteriously resign.

Klopp is amazing, but he's not great at transfers.

Everyone is at fault at this point imo, Klopp, Schmadke, FSG...

It's the same spiel.

Claw and scrape our way with a skeleton staff. Shrug our shoulders when the inevitable injuries happen. "We go again" **** infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Without any further signings, 4th is a realistic target at maximum. We won't be competing for the league, in my opinion, unless we get very, very lucky with injuries. If we signed a top DM and a solid backup CB, we would be in with a shot of the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I actually didn't realise (or maybe forgot) Szoboszlai is only 22, thought he was 24/25. We've got a real star on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I think a cb is more urgent han a cm but really need one of each.

It's baffling why they didn't go for gvardiol.

I'm hoping for top 4 as it is but if a top cb and cm was signed I'd be aiming for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

We need another midfielder so if we do somehow manage to sign Gravenberch I'd welcome it.

Can't believe we're not signing a CB though and letting Nat go on loan. What's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Maybe they’re moving Endo into CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They're 100% not looking for a DM. The best we might get is a utility player who can do 8 but fill in at 6. I really like the idea of Andre in January as well.

We need a LCB though before the window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Chelsea looking to sign Palmer from City, interesting transfer. Another £45m spent by Chelsea so their net spend this window will be around £195m after spending about £525m net last season as well. Nothing to see here though...nothing to see. A club that cannot find a sponsor for their shirts are able to afford all this because they give 8 year contracts, that was the magic bullet that nobody else saw...apparently.

There may be more outgoings for Chelsea but that is crazy spending. If only the Premier League was actually invested in keeping a level playing field for all, but imagine if City gets away with their 115 charges, Newcastle's owner is allowed to spend money on other players for the Saudi League while keeping their club sweet and Chelsea allowed to spend like this, its a lost cause. I don't care then about FSG not spending or putting their own money in, there is nothing they can do other than sell us to a family owned state to compete with what is happening, and I would find it very hard to keep supporting the team if that were to happen. I said before I would stop supporting the club if that happened and the current state of football would actually make that decision easy to live with.

Don’t get your hopes up on Andre in January, he’ll surely be off to Chelsea to replace Caicedo or Lavia.

• Advertisement

No mention of fee, or if it's a loan transfer for Gravenberch.

The fact that Bayern are keen to transfer him out says a lot to me. Maybe it's Tuchel driving it, but it's not a good thing IMO. It's not like they want to keep him and Liverpool are offering so much money that they reluctantly accept the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Views on Gravenberch? The general consensus on my twitter time line seems to be negative. I'd be happy with him but feel he is not the holding midfielder we're crying out for, if got for around 30-40m I'd be on board with it. Strange that we are not going all out for a DM though when it's so clear we need one.

Saw Andre play for the first time the other night in the Copa Libertadores and not sure on that display that he is a dedicated holding player either.

All summer the club have been saying he's not available so I'd imagine it is Tuchel looking for someone with more experience instead.

I could have sworn I read a quote from Rumminige, or Kahn, or one of those sporting board type people say that he was not in their plans. I could be wrong there.

But Tuchel definitely isn't using him and very clearly wants a player in instead of him. Talks of McTominay to play instead of him worry me. Played 9 mins this year, when 3-0 up and coasting. Not trusted to come off the bench in the other games.

Maybe he just didn't suit Tuchel / Bayern and Klopp can get the most out him. Hopefully that's what it is, and we know that Klopp can do that.

He's very young still. If he got back to his Ajax form and performance's he'd be a good signing but that's far from a given.

I thought he was more of an attacking midfielder,not exactly what we need at the moment

Surely a more defensively minded player might help?

By all accounts Gravers is box to box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm not sure how much he'll save our midfield or anything like that but he's a player with bags of potential and has shown he can be good. He's a year and a half younger than Curtis Jones of course he's raw.

Yeah, and by all accounts that was his better run of form. Players don't suit clubs, or leagues, or certain coaches etc. He's also young and can change, improve, suit better and all that.

I'm just not convinced myself, and also he's not a dedicated DM. He's more of a CM and I think they we need a DM a lot more than we need a CM where Thiago, MacAllister, Szlobozai, Jones, Elliott and Bajectic are already competing for a spot.

Endo is the only experienced DM at the club and he's a newbie to the league / standard.

• Advertisement

Having Gakpo and VVD at the club already might help him settle though as he'd have other Dutch guys to help him settle.

Yep. Also, I'm gonna be very assumptious here but any Dutch person I've met has been able to speak English fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I like that they were reported to want him at the start of the summer. Its also a complicated transfer so i can understand why it took all summer to see how it works out.

But as others have said he seems to be a square peg in a rectangle hole. The careful positioning and detailed tracking isn't innate in every player.

Maybe hes in the more flexible category like Gini though.

Better in than out though. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This he was name checked heavily since before the summer so it's nice that we aren't throwing **** and hope it sticks, he's a long term target so happy to see him come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Dutch players and teams over the years are well known for not getting along with one another.

That said, let's cross our fingers and hope he works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I am already after posting here that I don't want to see him, not old/ good enough to be senior, just block bajcetic playing time without being an upgrade imo, his club don't want him,red flags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Maybe the plan is to play Mac at no.6 rotating with Endo, and have Gravenberch (sp) as an 8?

€30m is the fee being bandied about now for Gravenbach. At that level it's a risk worth taking I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I can see Klopp wanting Gravenberch to play CDM. He's got the height and physique as well as the skills on the ball in possession to fit in. He's played CDM a bit during his short career. Him not getting in ahead of Kimmich and Goretzka is understandable.

He's not the ready-made world-class CDM that Liverpool should be signing but Klopp/Jorg/the club/FSG (who knows?) shat the bed after letting Fabinho go. They're taking a punt now, just like at the end of last summer's window. Let's hope they get someone and whoever they get is more use than Arthur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Signing a 20 year old kid is not exactly instant success on the pitch, it's a lot to ask. Gravenberch could come good, at 26..

• Advertisement
Advertisement