Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I honestly don't think they'd accept anything.

No chance of replacing him, they know they'd lose so much goodwill with the fans, and they'll get a similar enough offer in 9 months if they really want the money

£200m cash would be very hard to say no to from a business sense.

We'd be down a top class player until January at the earliest, probably the summer.

We'd probably miss out on champions league because of it. Not so great then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A straight world record £200m would be difficult to turn down I feel but its just too late in the window. Its blindingly obvious though this late move is opportunistic from PIF/Newcastle to weaken probably their biggest threat to their top 4 spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good draw in the europa travel wise, think we should take it relatively seriously given what's on offer if we don't qualify for the CL via the league route.

Saudis can **** off with Salah, trying to help out newcastle is all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Yeah, £200M feels about the point where the club would consider it. Also, they'd be saving 2 years of his salary (another £36M)

Would be a disaster for Liverpool this season but I wouldn't be massively surprised to see it happen.

Next summer Salah will only have one year left on his contract - the same money is unlikely to be on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

That Europa draw is about as good as we could have hoped, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

From a business sense £150m is hard to turn down and £200m would be crazy to turn down. At this stage I'm not really sure what the goal of the club is for this season. We seem to have gone down a weird hybrid mode of trying to overhaul the team but also trying to compete. I really do think that if the club committed to competing for the title at the start of the season we could have done it with a solid transfer window, but at this stage I think to compete for the title now relies on far too much luck to make it worth while. I don't think selling Salah for £150m at this stage would be the worst thing in the world. With that kind of money and the age profile of our squad missing out on champions league this season wouldn't be the worst either. Our succes under Klopp was built on selling our best players for huge money and investing that in younger players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That Cole Palmer lad that Chelsea just signed from City has less than 500 minutes of senior league football, is the same age as Gravenberch (10 days older technically) and cost more than him too. The money they're throwing around is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No bid for Salah as of yet, a 100m verbal offer, with add on's discussed, but no official bid placed. There is no 150m bid on the table that needs rejecting, if it did come though, you'd have to consider it

You can argue we need a CB but aside from that I don't see how this window is anything less than a big success tbh. We asked for a midfield overhaul and we got it.

There was a lot of talk of "I'd rather the Bellingham money be used to bring in 2-3 other midfielders" and that's what we did!

Ah yeah, but they don't seem to use standard valuation techniques 🤣

If we showed we'd dig our heels in I suspect next summer's offer wouldn't be significantly lower. Certainly the value of keeping him this season would likely outweigh the difference

If the Saudis don't want Salah next summer that's fine by me, we'll just have to suffer another season watching one of the best players in the league's history.

Usual rules don't really apply here - this isn't the usual situation of some regular club looking for him, who can move on to someone else. it's a whole league, trying to buy legitimacy as quickly as they can, and what he offers as the undisputed King of Arabian football is totally unique. His value to them far and away transcends anything he does on the field. We shouldn't sell for less than a world record fee, whether that's this summer or preferably next summer.

I can argue it's less than a big success :).

1) MacAllister and Szobozlai look like great buys and both seem likely to work out well and improve the midfield.

2) The current CDM options wouldn't have been something most people would have been happy with at the start of the window. They're both punts as it stands.

3) Also, as you say most wanted to see another CB. Seems unlikely now.

It's a C+ / B- of a window for me. If they had signed an elite CDM and a promising CB, that would have made it a big success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I dont get how anyone is saying we should take 150 today. We'd basically be writing this season off, crazy stuff all so FSG can sit on the 150mil for the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

At this stage I would believe sky sports were stretching the truth to get viewers, details seem a bit vague....

• Advertisement

I suspect they'd even like the headlines/prestige of paying a world record fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah he'll still be king next season.

If they want to knock 50m off the asking price cos he'll be 32 then we tell them no thanks.

I find it hard to believe Mo has his heart set on it. He could go there when he's 33/34.

Tbh, see how all this plays out, how long will these lads stick it out over there? Once they've a year or two of oil money in their accounts I'd say they'll be looking to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We should not be accepting any offer for Salah, he guarantees 30+ G&A & he is rarely injured, you cannot replace. Also the owners will not spend the money.

There should be long term planning; get a possible replacement for Salah and give him game time in domestic cups and EL, it should not be Doak who could be a great player but he is a kid. Then, when we are in a position of strength next summer & they will offer the same; they can buy anything so they hate it when someone refuses to sell:)

I think Salah might extend his contract as he wants to set records with us, he just turned 31 and will still be playing at 35 if he wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

95% of me is saying no way Mo leaves this window no matter that offer comes in.

But 5% of me is still not over the way Fernando done us dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I don’t think Salah will be the one to force this through, as he will know it’s only a matter of time. This will be down to whether LFC/FSG decide to accept the offer, in which case Salah would also accept.

If we did accept 175m or 200m today (and I don’t think we should and Klopp would be irate), we could probably get a deal done for Joao Felix done today if we wanted. But not Leroy Sane or whoever else might be on our list, that would have to wait till January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not sure why Joao Felix's name keeps me brought up. Every time I see him, I just see a workshy, goalshy lad with an attitude. Couldn't imagine him in a Klopp team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its sky sports the rag of tv media expect nothing less from them or repeating the same new story all day would get boring for viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Couldn't think of a less exciting player to be mentioned, same for Sane.

Sky - "its a 150m for a 31 year old"

He's not just any 31 year old, hes a physical machine, consistent goal contributer, he can comfortably play at the top level in Europe until atleast 35. He is one of the best players in the world at his peak. His value to Liverpool even with time to find a replacement is at a minimum a straight world record fee.

Yeah it's been said a bit but the Arab world watch alot of EPL partly due to Mo.

Strange to see them push this more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hard to turn down 200 million if they step up the offer. But long term, this is not good for the league, Newcastle and PIF can shape the market in their favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

When Fabinho & Henderson were sold for a combined €60m, they were seen as good transfer fees to receive.

Seeing some of the transfer fees being spent this summer on players with little to no experience leaves me to think that Liverpool were kinda fleeced! Cole Palmer for €47m, Lewis Hall for €40m and Ian Maatsen for €37m spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Maybe agree the 150 for mo now,but he leaves end of season,if that's what he wants..if he wants to stay I'm more than happy with that too.

Yup, literally not a peep from him or his agent about even being particularly open to this. I think if the club accepted it'd be them asking him to leave because the figure is so high, rather than the other way around. Whatever massive money he'll earn there, I'm sure he'd rather do it at 35 than 31 - and the money will be about the same, since only a small measure of his worth to them is down to what he would do on the pitch. I've said it before, but I could easily even see him going to another top club after us before he inevitably takes then golden handcuffs to end his career over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Shady stuff...wonder will the club or its allies in the press make some noise about it

There isn't enough time or players available at this point in the transfer window even if a stupid amount of money comes in. And if it is some sort of destabilisation effort then I hope the club don't sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Salah has 2 young daughters, correct? He seems like a guy who enjoys raising his family in the 'western' way, for want of a better word. Remember the abuse he got when he posted a xmas tree? He may be the no 1 arabic footballer/athlete in the world, and a move to Saudi would bring him closer to home and make him so much richer. But maybe he doesnt want to move his wife and daughters to that medeival sh1thole where they are 2nd class citizens, albeit shielded from it all in a gated community

Why else start bidding for Liverpool's best player on the last day other than to destabilize the club. If they wanted him they had 90 previous days to make the player and club an offer they couldn't refuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone know when they arrange/realease the champions league schedule?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

There are very few players we could sign to replace Salah, and none of them would be sold this late in the window. It's a non-starter really, as others have said it feels like an attempt to unsettle some Newcastle rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Europa League?

• Matchday 1: 21 September 2023
    • Matchday 2: 5 October 2023
    • Matchday 3: 26 October 2023
    • Matchday 4: 9 November 2023
    • Matchday 5: 30 November 2023
    • Matchday 6: 14 December 2023

The exact games per date will be tomorrow as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, I mean the fixturees - as in who we're actually playing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Getting worried about the Gravenberch deal. No white smoke re: Palinha and FCBM; it could all be called off. I need to see that lean...

At the draw they said all fixtures for the league stages would be released on Saturday morning.

‘Half of our games will be early kickoffs and half late kickoffs.

Oof, 6pm kickoffs? Hadn't thought of that, they're a pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Palinha deal is off. Sh!te. Hopefully Bayern are sound about all this.

I thought similar a few days ago but when I googled, the internet said his wife is conservative and observant of the Muslim rules for women.

Since we agreed the deal I've not seen anything about them being linked. I know that was the initial rumour, but hopefully not

German window closed at 5pm UK time. No news is worrying, could well be off unless we hear something very soon

Edit - Sky’s man at the ground said he understands Grav has done the in-house media/vid, so that sounds very positive. Of course German deadline for buying is 5pm, but selling to UK is determined by UK window, so 11pm

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be worried, Bayern don't seem to have any use for him. Tuchel said he's an 8 and they don't play with one. Pure negotiating tactic they need a replacement first is my guess, when they are actually trying to bring in a 6.

Advertisement