Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hazard was finished when he left Chelsea you could see it in him. Real got robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah out, Rafael Leão in , would be acceptable to me. AC Milan have debt problems, a 150m bid gets it done, his new contract only pays him €123,000 per week, must have felt like a lot when he signed it, not so much now, we'd pay him more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Injuries are a risk to any player, I'd imagine FSG have weighted up all possible scenarios and what they'd be willing to let him go for this window, in January or next summer ( all likely to be different), the cost of replacing him depending on what window he leaves in, the possible outcomes like missing out on CL if selling in this window etc., if the Saudis meet FSG's valuations, then it's likely he'll be sold. I'd imagine they probably have decided not to sell this window unless the Saudis offer a ridiculous amount like 300 million, even then I'd prefer if he stayed until January when we could at least get a replacement in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

In a kind of serious way I think we should get a message out there that we would take a ridiculous offer like $1 or $2 billion. The saudis are throwing money at sports and can afford it. They're doing it for prestige and ego. They'd love to blow the world open like this.

They're trying to corner Liverpool with a bid that is pennies to them. We should counter them with a corner move that actually helps the club. £200 does not really help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

We can't get a replacement until January at the earliest. Funnily enough, he will be gone to Afcon for all of January and part of February. If we accept the bid, we have to hold him until January. Who cares if their transfer window is still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah another right footed left winger is just what we need to replace Salah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So far most of the suggestions aren't replacements for Mo, they're replacements for Diaz/Jota/Gakpo/Nunez. Leao has played pretty much exclusively on the left wing, so would leave us even more packed on the left, and still threadbare on the right.

The best option really would be Saka - we'd never get him off Arsenal, but he's about the only RWF I can think of fit to lace Mo's boots. Otherwise, looking at maybe taking Raphina off Barca, or maybe lads like Moussa Diaby or Bakayoko depending on how they develop, but they're still very untested yet.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

No such thing as another Salah, any pro should be able to play with both feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sako would be the dream, unfortunately unattainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Especially against the best defenders in the world.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the reality is that most can't though. Even when players can use both feet reasonably usefully, the positional aspect is just a different thing. Look at Jota or Diaz when they've played on the right for us - anonymous. A fraction of what they look like in their chief positions. When your whole game is built around doing something specific - like Kvaratskhelia and Leao's are - it usually doesn't translate when you suddenly upend it entirely.

The likes of Messi and Salah are rarities , but both have a higher goal scoring percent with their right foot. Salah is more efficient with his right, of course stats means nothing, they could be the tap ins where it was just a case of making contact.

It's impossible to replace Salah, as that quality in a left footer doesn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

We can't sell mo now,they are obviously desperate to get him so they will pay those sums again nxt season.

Let's do all we can to keep him this season so he can get us back into champions lge and get the send off he deserves on the last day

It's funny that all the greatest left footed players that have ever player for Liverpool, played on the left, except Salah, who plays on the right. Same goes for right foot players, all the best played on the right.

John Barnes today would have to play right I guess.

They don't need to necessarily be a left footer - but they should ideally be someone who actually already plays on the right wing. We should ideally be buying someone to continue doing what they're good at with us, instead of paying a fortune and then trying to transform someone's game to something completely different.

Kvaratskhelia and Leao are left wingers. That's where they play, and that's where they're proven. I don't have a problem with going for a right winger who is right footed, provided they're good right wingers who can still come inside and score goals (peak Gnabry for instance - right footer who played exceptionally well on the right wing and scored plenty - he's dropped off of late though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So many of our goals are from Mo or Mo assists these days. Hard to imagine him not being here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Jarrod Bowen was top of the Edwards/Klopp list if Salah had not signed his last contract. While Edwards is gone, I think he'd still be up there. Works really hard, good finisher and would undoubtedly improve playing alongside Liverpool players week in week out. Quality wise, of course it's not like for like, but Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo, Jota, Bowen and then Doak would still be a top class front line and bench.

Plus it would leave us with change, which will be badly needed over the next 6-18 months as we completely rebuild our defence.

Unless Mbappe decides to choose Liverpool over Madrid next summer, as reported in L'Equipe this morning, but I don't think anyone believes that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

250 minimum.

Even an that, I think I'd be happier to hold him for a couple of years and get 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why would we get €100m in a couple of years given he'll be out of contract?

Was thinking that too, I think some people just don't understand how football contracts work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Quansah pulls out of England U20 squad. I'd imagine as a precaution in case Konate doesn't recover as quickly as hoped and Virge gets extra ban (anyone know when that hearing takes place, or has it already happened?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anyone who thinks we get £200m for Salah next summer is living in dreamland - The Saudis want him for the Club Word Cup in December and are willing to pay a premium for that. It'd be more like £80m next year at most.

Personally I'd rather he stays for 2 years and leaves on a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Jesus, this Salah talk is really annoying me. Are you even a real football fan, let alone a Liverpool one, if you think Salah should be be sold now? To me it seems that some people here are more interested in playing football manager than wanting what is best for the team. Who cares if we only get €80m for him next summer rather than €200m now? It would severely weaken the team and potentially wreck our season even at this early stage. Call me old fashioned but I am much more interested in having the team competing for trophies than making sure we maximise the value of our asset.

I have seen some nonsense in the last few pages; we should sell him because he is no longer an elite player even though his stats will continue to be good; we should sell him in case his knee blows up, we should sell him because some Portuguese player in Italy looks good and we can blow 150m on him.

I'm definitely going to sound old fashioned now but the old phrase of "one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" springs to mind. I wouldnt blame Salah for wanting to leave because it seems he will never be appreciated enough. The man has never left us down both on and off the pitch and now some people want to see him leave at a time when we cant replace him just so we can act like Todd Boehly for a little while. Ridiculous. Remember when we sold Suarez and went on a spending spree afterwards with our pot of gold? How did that work out? Be careful what you wish for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Even if you were to look at it purely financially, think the minimum amount of cash a season in the CL is going to bring is somewhere in the region of 50m provided you get out of the group, which we invariably do, even when weak.

This should be subtracted from the sums on any transfer given we are strong contenders for CL spot with Mo, and strong outsiders without him, nevermind the other knock on losses of revenue from losing your best player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Let me know when Andy Robertson's right foot turns up

Add to that, we'd be held to ransom when buying any player after selling Salah, so while 200m sounds like crazy money for him, when you break it all down- potential loss of CL revenue, inflation of buying players after Salah sale, effect on the team performance - we'd be better off keeping him than selling, even if we do eventually let him go for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nothing set. But our next three games are Wolves, West Ham (Home) and Leicester in the cup (also home) so I'm not overly worried if he gets a few extra games. He'll still be available for the Europa, so he can stay relatively match-fit and competitive.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Does anyone actually advocate selling him right now?

There's obviously an argument about whether we'd get the same fee next summer but is a lower fee next year making some ppl want to sell now?

I'd sell if he wanted to go, I'd not accept the bid knowing he was committed to Liverpool, Salah needs to break his silence, tell the world, like Mbappe did, he does not want to move to Saudi Arabia

As long as he tells the club, that’s more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Salah will be elite level for 3-4 years, I hope he stays for all of that time and gets to 3rd on the all time goalscorer list for us.

Our owners are more likely to increase the capacity again if Salah is sold for huge money.

No one says no to the Saudi's so they will offer whatever we want next summer; money is not relevant to them as seen in their pursuit of taking over golf.

We should be looking to extend his contract, hold onto him until summer 25 and then we can look at selling him, at that stage we should have our rebuild done, so only Salah to replace, which we would have to do regardless of the Saudi interest. Plus if we can get him to extend his contract it'll at least kill off the speculation for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My only view on this is that if Salah wants to go we should let him go in the context of the fee that has been discussed

If Salah is okay to stay then we should reject it.

Yup, as long as he doesn't tell the world he wants to leave then in satisfied.

Is their window only open another 2 days?

Yeah, closes tomorrow night - though of course that's their own league's self imposed window, so presumably they can just break their own rule if they feel like it 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd read somewhere that FIFA had their deadline down as the 20th or something like that. The Saudi's have it as tomorrow. Don't know if that was cleared up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I should have been clearer. Tie him - if possible - to another contract then... ^

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Keet he knickers on, no one has said Salah should be sold this summer.

Improved terms. Perhaps he doesn't want Saudi until he's 34/35. Who knows. Just throwing that out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He has 2 years on his contract why would we let him go? The fee isn't enough to replace him and if we don't finish in the Top 4 its worth even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is up to every league to decide when it closes or not, there is no official window as such. The Premier League decided a few years ago to close their before the other leagues in Europe and it was a disaster, so it just makes sense to make it all as one so clubs aren't in a position where they lose a player and have no recourse to replace him.

The 2 dates given for the Saudi League was as you noted the 20th but I think their league confirmed it was the 7th. Makes no sense to keep your open if no teams will sell their players to you if they cannot sign replacements, that may be why they moved it up to the 7th. They can always decide to move it to the 10th is they think it is in their interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I said it earlier in the thread and I still think it’s the best for everyone, keep him and let him go free in 2 years. He’ll get a better salary by virtue of there being no transfer fee and we get him for 2 more years. It’s a win for everyone! I’d take that now if it was offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Spend the next year scouting replacements, open talks, get the replacement as close to signing as possible then sell.

But selling without thexteplacent lined up makes no sense.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Nothing we didn't know, but the net spend for the last decade really does show how great Klopp has been...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Sell Salah and we could nearly end up in the black 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement