Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I read it as a trend of selling the star player a year after rejecting a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yet we had people all summer listing Ox and Keita as midfield minutes that will need to be replaced. They were a total non-factor last year.

MacAllister was also sent off in one of these games! 😂

Actually just discovered a far uglier stat in that regard...

Premier League minutes played for Liverpool:

Ox (Joined in 2017): 4,587

Keita (Joined in 2017): 4,193

Thiago (Joined in 2020): 4,650

And Thiago himself is considered to be extremely injury prone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Noting also, that Thiago joined 3 years after the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Do you think Thiago will get much game time this season when fit? To me it looks like Szobo/Gravenberch/Elliot will take the RW, McAllister/Jones/Thiago left...Endo, Bajcetic and McAllister to cover at 6 when required. Bajcetic can also play in either of the No.8 positions...I just fell Klopp will be willing to give game time to Jones or Bajectic when required over Thiago.

Also I'm randomly looking at a reply of this years Champions League final here (please don't ask), were we ever linked with Bastoni? He's a player I like at Inter and I think he deffo has the potential to take over from VVD when that day comes, composed and has a great range of passing for a centre half...

I hope to see Thiago whenever he's fit, he's a fantastic player, we just need to realise the limitations of his game time. I doubt we'll see him play a full 90 very often, and if he starts one game in a week he'll likely be on the bench for the other.

We're actually in a position right now where we can use him as sparingly as needed, rather than like the last couple years where he's started every game until he gets injured, rinse, and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, Suarez happened before Klopp came in.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The club is in another stratosphere compared to the times we sold those players though. The players also very publicly wanted out, not a peep from Salah this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

The club still has the exact same owners though. They don't spent that much money and under their ownership the club have relied heavily on transfer fees to fund our rebuilding. Even Henserson spoke about it with in his recent interview. They have a model and they won't buckle from it. We missed out on a generational young talent this summer because of it. It's going to be a big decision for Klopp to make next summer.

I don't really see Salah spending his last year of top flight football trying to qualify for the Champions League, only to then not play in it.

I can see us selling him next summer if we don't qualify, but if we do then surely he stays at least one more year, maybe even extend his contract by an extra 1+1 or something.

Would Salah not be better going to Madrid. Surely it's a better career path.

The Saudi retirement league will be there afterwards unless it dies away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That regime of sometimes 3 games in a week broke him, as it did Bajcetic at the other end of his career. With more boots on the ground, that should not be an issue this year for either.

• Advertisement

I'd be amazed if Madrid have any interest in him at this stage. PSG is the only European club I could see who'd be willing to pay what would he required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Henderson would have thrown the tea lady under the bus , thank god they didn't sign more players if it meant he would still be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bellingham? We weren't even in the conversation really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Absolutely. I've seen a few posters mention Madrid as a possible destination but I don't see it myself. I'm pretty confident that Salah will be at Liverpool for another 2 seasons. We need to enjoy him as long as he's here as pretty much no-one will be able to fill his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could definitely see that - spend this year and next year with us, then (depending how his legs are holding up) go on a free to Madrid for 2 years, then head to Saudi at 35.

• Advertisement

Unless its on a free in 2 years, I cant see Madrid move for Salah. They're currently in the hunt for the long term replacement for Benzema and that ain't Salah! I can see Mbappe go there next summer though...Salah is in a peculiar place ATM, he's still undoubtable world class, but he's at an age where the real cream of the crop teams just won't fancy him enough, especially at the figures that Liverpool will want for him...

I have to admit though, I've been mightily impressed by him the last few week, no shenanigans, no agents stirring the pot, no lack of effort on the pitch. Like the guy has been in the newspaper and online social everyday for the past 3 weeks, linking him to what would be a world record wage package, and he hasn't opened his mouth to any source or looked anyway unhappy by how its playing out. You would actually think he genuinely doesn't know a thing about what's going on judging by his actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Virgil ban extended by 1 game + 100K fine.

Annoying to be without him so needlessly - especially as new captain - but it could've been worse.

Fine by me...until we see someone else tell a ref to fcuk off and get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I can't see Salah going to Madrid, he's more likely to extend with us than go to Madrid. I think he'd prefer to play for anyone else than Madrid. I think all those CL losses to Madrid hurt Salah more than most, so can't see him ever playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Think it's more that they will be looking elsewhere to be honest.

Once Ox came back from his knee injury, he was actually available a lot of the time, did pick up a few injuries, but was available more often than not, Klopp just rarely used him in the last few years. Keita generally got a lot of game time when available, but was constantly picking up injuries. Not too sure Keita was actually injured last year or just not considered due to a poor attitude. Thaigo generally plays when fit, just never seems to be able to stay fit for any length of time. Ox and Keita should definitely have been sold on or loaned earlier.

I could've seen that after the shoulder-break game alright - but in the time since then he's done a few exclusive interviews directly with Marca (the Real Madrid-centric paper), buttering up Madrid. In the other games between the clubs, they've simply been the better team really, without too much controversy. So I think he'd be open to going there alright, and has linked himself more to them than anyone... but the bigger question is probably if they'd be looking for him at that stage, which I guess just depends on how he is at the time, and where they're at at the time.

I think they will look elsewhere, but, not too sure he'd like to play for them. I think most players have certain clubs they'd never play for, as they don't like them, maybe they supported a rival team or like Salah they lost too many times to them in big matches. I know there are a lot of mercenary players who'll play for anyone, once the money is right, but, I don't think Salah is one of them, while I know he's on big wages, he could have left already for higher wages elsewhere if he really wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd not be surprised if the Saudi lads tied up the deal for mo for nxt year whilst in the UK,deal done,mo stays another year,we get a year to replace him knowing we have X amount to spend , whilst also noting other clubs aren't aware how much we get for mo,it would be clever if he is going nxt year.

• Advertisement

I don't think he was being too critical of them. It was a more matter of fact statement that owners have a specific model on how they operate and they stick to that model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Can you tell me what transfers in the last 5 years was used to fund our rebuild? You can go back 10 years if you want and include Coutinho, who apparently paid for all of our transfers for 3 years if you believe some, but show the evidence of the club using transfers to fund our rebuild. Transfer fees also only ever tells part of the story, wages plays a big role as well. We have been consistently at the top end of wages and that correlates with where you finish in the PL more than spending lots of money on transfers.

Also, who do you mean when you say we missed out, Bellingham? By all accounts he only had eyes for Madrid and going on reports of his teammates in Dortmund not being unhappy that he was allowed to leave, Madrid seems about right for his ego. If you mean anyone else, please enlighten us how we missed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Good point. After the Caicedo fiasco, it may be in Liverpool's interest to keep details of how much they have to spend quiet from other clubs. People are saying Saka next summer but Arsenal will absolutely rinse us for every penny of the Salah transfer, and rightly so, considering he's just signed a new deal and is 9 years younger than Salah. Still, say getting £150m next summer for Salah and using that to buy Saka would be great business for us, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Saka would be amazing but there's no chance

Doubt he'd want the switch, he's a Londoner, been at Arsenal his entire career, he's worshipped there, they're on a high

And no way Arsenal would sell to us for anything anywhere near what we'd pay

But it would be amazing 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Saka signed a new contract in the summer, that ship has sailed.

The time to get him was around the COVID seasons, and apparently Liverpool did try, but he wanted to stay at Arsenal as he's come through there and is an Arsenal fan.

I couldn't be arsed producing a list for you, Google it yourself if you want a detailed list. In terms of totsl figures, since 2014 Arsenal have spent more money on buying players than Liverpool have, while Arsenal received just under £400m less in transfers from player sales. The only club who have received more from selling players in the last decade than Liverpool is Man City, and that's during a time period where City spent over £600m more on signing players than Liverpool.

Again, in terms of wages Liverpool have consistently ranked, at best, 4th in the premier league, and have consistently been behind City, Chelsea and United. The year we won the title City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal all spent more money on wages than Liverpool. Given who we have sold this window that gap I'm sure has only gotten bigger between us City, Chelsea and United and likely significantly narrowed between us Arsenal and Newcastle.

Yea, I mean Bellingham. He has en ego? Omg a world class player has an ego? Disgraceful, can't be having that! 😂 I wonder if the Dortmund players are equally as happy starting the season with draws against the mighty FC Heidenheim and Bochum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That's Great, hopefully they stick to it,it has been a revelation for the the club,I honestly can't think of a better ran club,can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

from reddit it seems sobo and mcalistar have more minutes, after 4 games , than naby and ox had in the last two years

Okay, will take that as you don't have evidence to back up what you post. I didn't even want a list, I just wanted examples of players we sold to fund future transfers. You said we rely heavily on transfer fees and I would have thought it would be easy to show who we sold to fund those. I will do your job for you, Mane we sold last year for around 32m euro, but the problem is we bought Gakpo and Nunez for 122m euro as well. So maybe we would only have had 90m to spend without that money from Mane but I doubt anyone will argue we should have kept Mane instead of buying Gakpo.

As for wages, thank you again for the massive evidence of us being at best 4th. Too bad there is ample evidence out there that shows this is not true,

And here is another one,

"For the most recently published 2021/22 financial year, Liverpool’s payroll was the second highest among Premier League clubs at £366m. It was a figure somewhat inflated by bonus payments made to the squad following success on the pitch, while a large number of new contract extensions were inked during the reporting period."

So from 2018 we have been 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 4th and 2nd highest in terms of wages.

I am only repeating what was said about Bellingham. His teammates were apparently not happy with him standing back a little when they are thanking the supporters to take it all in for himself and to separate himself from his team. Now maybe you could say great players are allowed to be arrogant, but Liverpool at our best was the team and not individuals that made us great. So taking that into account and his desire to go to Madrid instead of us, I don't think it is such a disaster that we missed out.

Just seen Lavia is out with an injury he picked up in training, bad luck for him but I can only imagine the drama if he had signed with us and this happened to him. Spending £50m on a 19 year old only to see him take Keita's and Ox's spots on the physio bench would have made heads explode on here.

• Advertisement

I see McAllister was named MOTM in Argentinas win the other night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Reputable source?

I had noticed MacAllister was subbed off on 77 minutes with the score at 0-0. Then a minute or two later Messi scored the only goal of the game.

I didn't mind the source, I was just scrolling through my insta feed and I seen an still image of McAllister with the caption on it. I didn't really give it much thought beyond that to be honest 🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bajcetic played 25 minutes for spain's u21s last nite,as a centre back!

You can interpret the stats whatever way you want. Here's the link for you.

The club have spent less on transfer signings over the last 10 years compared to United, Chelsea, Arsenal and City. In the last decade we also have a net spent that is less than City, Chelsea, United, arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham and Villa.

As for wages, here's a link

18/19 - 5th

19/20 - 4th

20/21 - 4th

21/22 - 4th

22/23 - 4th

This article has us 4th in the 2022/2023 season.

But you have no idea he has a desire to go to Madrid instead of us. Klopp said we couldn't afford him and it was widely reported we pulled out of any discussions. He could well have never had an interest in signing for us but I really doubt it though. The lack of CL might have ultimately put hin off, but I imagine a the style that Liverpool play would have very much appealed to him. I doubt there are many players out there who wouldn't want to play for Klopp either.

the fellas at Goal seemed to rate him anyway, same score as Messi, with the headline; “Lionel Messi saves the day and Alexis Mac Allister stars in midfield during narrow win”

• Advertisement

It depends on your definition of a good run club is. What I will say is we've got the best manager in the world. There's other other manager I want instead of club. When it does go, I don't think it will take long before the owners aren't held in such high regard. But that's wild speculation at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some owners Talk about redeveloping their ground - both our past owners and owners of other top clubs - but ours went away and actually did it. The new Main Stand is a lovely new stand while the Anfield Road end nears completion. Also, state of the art new training facilities - even getting Melwood back for the Ladies.

All the while, we have spent money and brought in players for the first team. We may have been a little late in signing a few of them, not necessarily the owners fault.

Looking at it as a Pool supporter, I'm quite happy with the owners ( especially given our recent history with them).

I'd say the club is being well run - from what I can see anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

FSG brought in Klopp and he managed a group of players that brought to the club, PL, CL, FA Cup, League Cup, Super Cup and Club World Cup. So all the trophies the Club has won under these owners along with all the redevelopment as mentioned in a previous post.

FSG are a great bunch of lads.

And the goal posts move again, now it is our total spend and not the players we sell to heavily rely on our transfer spend. We have a good team with good owners, who while they have not given us their own money to spend, has ensured we are competitive more than we are not. If you want to have a team competing for the transfer trophy every year and competing for every trophy in the season, Man City is there to support. We are not that and I am actually thankful for it.

Lol, imagine having the audacity to want Liverpool to compete for every trophy they play in. How terrible of me.

You're correct, instead when we get knocked out of compitions I'll clap and applaud and smile for our fantastic owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement