Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I get what you're saying but ultimately 3 points is all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's much more than that. We have been brutal in the first half and survive the half on luck. Most of the games so far, we should have been down 2 or 3 at half time. Second half is like a system shock and we win. At some point the luck will run out. We need to learn to control the first half. Besides, it doesn't do my nerves any good.

City have Forrest H, Newcastle A, Wolves A, Arsenal H and Brighton A in their next 5, then the next 6 is Man utd A, Bournemouth H Chelsea A, Liverpool H, Spurs H and Villa A. That's a tough run of fixtures.

It's Our year;)

• Advertisement

But that will come when the new guys settle in but with the attacking threat we have, we're going to out score the majority of teams we come up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Klopp had his part to play yesterday too. Telling Gomez to step in like Trent and picking McAllister were just terrible decisions. Extra frustrating when he knew for two weeks McAlister was going to Bolivia and had a good idea Trent would be injured.

Conversely, he's made great tactical calls to fix things this season. The Newcastle choke after the red and the 442 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Szoboszlai was as bad as everyone else in the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Strength of schedule after first 5 PL games. Really puts in perspective how good our results have been so far. Brighton doing really well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Strength of schedule after first 5 PL games. Really puts in perspective how good our results have been so far. Brighton doing really well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Can you explain to me what this means? Can you give me examples of Gakpo etc being immune to this mental mindset, and examples of Nunez etc fearing the worst? Otherwise I'll think your post was utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I finally got chance to look at the game from the weekend this morning, I don't think there's any point in dwelling on the first half as it was terrible and MaCllister was clearly not at it, probably should have never started, but in fairness I think Klopp knows that's a mistake now. Although we were nowhere near our best in the 2nd half either, it was quite refreshing to see how comfortable we were throughout it at the same time, patient on the ball, waiting for the right opportunities and no glaring holes in the middle or at the back when we did lose it up front.

My main takes aways; Szobo is a serious player, him along with the 2 substitutes were the key differences in the 2nd half, but he just looks quality in everything he does and when he sat deeper in the 2nd half, Wolves didn't know what to do with him. If they tired to press him on the ball he simple just strode through it and immediately got us on the attack, when they stood off him he just used that extra time and space to ping balls out wide and release Mo, Diaz or Robbo, seriously impressive stuff. Nunez, he just has to start now in my opinion, he's a absolute nightmare to defend against whether it is him coming looking for the ball to feet or running in behind he just creates so much space with his movement. I like Gakpo also and he's probably a better technical footballer than Nunez but to me whenever he plays in the 9, he just doesn't seem to have the same aura as Nunez and teams seem comfortable defending against him. Finally a word on Quansah, very impressed with him and if he keeps that up I can see him jump to No.4 choice centre half over Matip, I thought Matip was our worst performer along with Mcallister in the first half, but at least there's a reasonable excuse for his leggy performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If you told me after the first 5 fixtures we would be on 13 points I'd have been v happy,if you told me we would be after going behind in 3 of those games I'd have been thrilled...we ain't perfectly drilled and gelled yet,but we are still getting results...I'm very happy after how last season started.

And seeing just how rubbish utd and Chelsea are despite spending only adds to it...I like ange so I don't mind spurs in the mix...yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The key is Szoboszlai, and MacAllister when he isn't exhausted.

In the second half, while we were crap and slow, we had proper control - something we never had last season in those kinds of games. And because our midfield was able to do that, you had Salah getting the ball infrequently, but when he did, it was in places he could damage Wolves, rather than with chalk on his boots all the time on the wing.

Saturday was a victory for control and sustained pressure - even though we were fairly uninspiring in the second half. but if you can sustain pressure, you can invariably make things happen.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can't dismiss the actual legs in midfield now as well. We couldn't press or chase the opposition last year.

There was a stat floating around yesterday comparing Henderson and Szoboszlai ball recoveries (I think that was the stat) over the first five games of this season and last season and it always something like 15 v 55. Massive improvement for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gakpo came in Jan 2023, Jota returned from injury Feb, Diaz also returned from injury April, from Jan - May only City took more points, 2, I think. So these players don't know bad form in a Liverpool shirt, as it's been a great run since Jan 2022 to now.

Nunez had a awful first half of the season, and pretty much rarely used in the second half, as Jota played a lot, signs in preseason Nunez turned a corner, and again against Newcastle, but he hasn't quite won the esteem of the crowd just yet, although he's absolutely backed when he's on the field, you can't knock the disorder he dispenses to the oppositions defense, even if he still frustrates by not taking chances you'd expect him to take, maybe he is of a positive mindset, but he's still not getting the nod to start week in week out like Haaland.

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

If the Saudi's created a tournament, with their top clubs, and invited Europe's top clubs, Liverpool, Man U, Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern, Juve etc etc.. and just by playing this tournament, it pays 150m, winning it, 500m, would these teams take part, and could they be stopped by outside forces under current rules.

See this will happen I feel, Saudi's will create something new.

Some in the style of Liv golf will come along for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If these teams go to Saudia Arabia they'll have their passports taken and be made part of the Saudi Super League! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Spurs not really been tested so far, will be interesting to see if they're still flying high after their next 2 games (Arsenal, Liverpool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Instead of creating a super league and all the hassle that entails, it wouldn’t surprise me if a few state owned clubs just ignore FFP/spending rules, have their lawyers appeal everything to drag it out for years, long enough for the Saudis to be integrated with UEFA at an executive level.

Spending rule violations will then just go away or be given minor punishments and we’ll essentially be left with a Super League inside UEFA.

The people at the top have little to no interest in football as a competition, just how they can generate more money, and the PIF have enough to get their way in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I saw today that we are linked with Neco Williams which confused me as I thought we sold him but apparently there is a Spanish Nico Williams.

He looks a handful from few clips I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He was linked a few days ago. Thought he had a huge release clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think his contract is up soon so Liverpool might be trying to get in before he can sign a new one.

From reading a bit more, there is a big family connection with the club as his brother plays for them too.

He might sign a new one with Bilbao but there might be terms and conditions around a release clause. So Bilbao don't get f'd over if he left on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was a great video review of Klopp's tactical changes to win the game against Newcastle posted in here a while back.

Anyone know if there is a similar one of the win over Wolves with changes made at HT to a more 4-4-2 shape?

I think tifo football did it. They do different games each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

@Fitz* I posted the fourfourtwo one after the Newcastle game, maybe that's the one you mean? They don't have anything up for the Wolves match though...

• Advertisement

If anyone has access to heat maps I'd be interested in seeing the difference between Gomez in the first and second half.

Jack of all trades Trent can walk for free in 15 months, to any over sea giant. He needs a longer deal Shirley, wish he'd make a permanent move to midfield, and forget this right back lark. We need a sitter there, who can defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i'm not sure those requirements you describe are what Trent can actually do though...

People really do boil it down to "midfield is when you can pass, right back is when you can defend"

We've seen Trent in midfield, he can do a lot of what's needed but it's clearly an unfamiliar and flawed role for him, namely the fact that he's bad at receiving the ball while facing his own goal. We gave up numerous chances and a few actual goals from him miscontrolling the ball in areas where one bad touch is all it takes.

In all the Saudi noise it's gone a little under the radar that Qatar-owned PSG have offloaded all their deadwood to Qatari clubs for €70m or so. The game is rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Game has been rotten for a very long time, now they're doing it brazenly. They dont care about perception anymore

• Advertisement

Wonder what kind of side we will see Thursday night? I suspect that Klopp will want to get the group won early, so there is more scope for rotation closer to December time, and avoid the extra knockout round by coming 2nd in the group.

Because of this, I think Klopp will play a somewhat stronger 11 on Thursday, peppered with some rotation. On paper, this is the trickiest tie - away to the 2nd seeds. Next week's midweek is a league cup tie so there is more scope for rotation there again. Because he has only played 2 and a bit games, I think VVD will come back in to get some match rhythm and maybe even Trent too. Bajcetic has to get some sort of match time too. Konate and Matip might jobshare for the night.

I'm gonna take a guess at;

Kelleher

Trent Konate VVD Tsimikas

Endo Bajcetic Gravenberch

Elliott Nunez Jota

Sounds like this will be a bit too soon for Trent, so I'd say Gomez out there again. Even academy reserve right back Conor Bradley looks to be out injured for the next few months - getting very thin on the ground at the back.

I'd like Quansah to get another start on Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Where's that other RB gone, Ramsey .

Preston on loan. Which makes it very strange that we didn't try to sign another RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Weird. But I'm sure he can be recalled if there's an injury crisis at RB. Hopefully it works out for him and he gets over his injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

He’s out injured again and was only to miss a few weeks out now they reckon he won’t be back until mid November. Tough break for the kid.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Ramsey's had a very unlucky 18 months with injury

After coming off injured on Saturday would want us to be very careful with him. Would play him again if it was just basic cramp, but if it was anything at all more, i'd rest him - could have a big part to play this season.

You'd wonder if Van Den Berg might have been worth hanging onto until January... would've been bad for his development, but as a lad who can play CB and RB it might have been a nice short term option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

James Pearce spoke during the summer that Klopp is huge fan of Bradley and we could be expecting to see him quite a lot in the EL this season. Unfortunately the injury he picked up at the start of the month has thrown a slight spanner in the works there. i think he's out until November at the earliest.

Ben Doak has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We have the 3rd fastest player in the PL from the last 3 years! Szoboszlai did this against Wolves!

"Dominik Szoboszlai may not be known for his pace but he managed to clock up a top speed of 36.76km/h (22mph) during the game."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

"extra knockout round..."

Oh christ, what cockamamey load of bolix have they come up with this time to try wring some extra cash out of the competition? 🙄

In fact, don't tell me. Hopefully we just skip it and I never have to hear about it! 🤞

Call me crazy but I think Salah will start this one, for all the reasons you outlined. Probably play 60 mins or so if we are winning but 75-80 if not.

Oh wait, I forgot about Doak. Doak will probably start if fit with Salah on the bench actually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement