Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

We really have a trend already this season of conceding first and then pushing on in the second half. We won't get away with it against better teams though I feel.

Good result tonight though and a run out for some squad players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We'll make a fortune on just doing Liverpool to win 3-1 every game whilst coming from a goal down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Conceed first and then score 3.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is Salah the best ever Liverpool player?

I’m from the King Kenny era, but don’t think I’ve ever seen such a brilliant player in the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Salah's playing like he knows he's too good for the Europa League and wants to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Will have a look at the highlights later didn't see any of the game,but another win after Been behind on to the next 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He always plays like that, he's a proper professional and has shown that for years.

This team weren't good enough for the Champions League so Europa it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I still think Suarez was a better goal scorer but he wasn't here long enough and a very different type of player too.

Peak Owen and Fowler were every bit as good as Mo tho. Kenny, Rush and Keegan were maybe even better again but it's very difficult to compare cos football has changed so much in the last 10/15 years.

Mo is easily the second best player we've had in 20 years tho, just behind Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Rush the best goalscorer I've seen.

Before he went to Juventus. He came back a very different player and not as sharp. I was disappointed to loose Aldridge for the return of Rush.

Yes, pre Juventus. I remember it seemed like he scored all the time. Great worker off the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

At a time when goals were harder to come by IMHO.

Very hard to compare players 30 years apart, can't we enjoy both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Suarez was just crazy, in every kind of way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

1000 corners more than the team in second? So 5 times more corners than Liverpool won in total last season? Go ahead and run the numbers if you want, would be interesting alright, but Christ, that's a stretch.

You'd need to normalise the data, to get to a % corner conversion rate so you could compare against other teams without the volume of corners taken coming into it. You would then need to ensure that you're clearly defining what a goal from a corner actually is, ie is it one touch, first-time shot only, or also a short corner leading to a goal etc etc? Once you do that and run the numbers again, chart the data, and review your hypothesis that they've taken 1000 more corners than any other team, you would have to conclude that you're talking through your hoop. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I adored Fowler and liked Owen but they were nowhere near to Salah imo. He has more hunger, ability, consistency, durability, fitness, trophies, goals and assists. His consistent destruction of Utd over the past few years has added to his halo. He's an absolute all-time club legend. Owen and Fowler are a tier below him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well technically it was last year's team that wasn't good enough for the champion's league. I think this team is more than good enough for it.

Sounds like Gravenberch just had cramp thankfully thought he looked class.

No I'm merely using an extreme example to illustrate my point that most corners scored from doesn't necessarily equate to a high conversion rate, which it doesn't.

And they have already done most of what your second paragraph suggests to come up with the stat that we have scored from the most corners in the first place.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Typical Europa League performance, 11 changes made from the weekend to the starting 11 with some guys making their first start, debuts and some their first appearance of the season, so the first half was a disjointed as expected. Add in that LASK we're really up for it and pressed with serious intensity. 2nd half much more comfortable and we really could have scored 5, LASK faded badly due to the first half endeavours...Nunez was sharp again, Gravenberch look very good in certain areas, he looks like he can get the ball, turn and stride through the opposition quite comfortably, he will be an asset. Bajectic was also decent once he got going, had some very rusty moments but to be expected after the lay off. Salah is just class. I actually thought VVD looked quite assured tonight too, I know the opposition was poor but he hasn't looked comfortable at all the last few months regardless of who he came up against, even against Ireland he looked out of sorts. But I thought he was quite composed tonight, hopefully that's something that will continue...

Just want to note that a big criticism of Klopp for a lot of his tenure was that he made bad mid-game adjustments and substitutions, that's certainly not been the case this year. I think it's good to remember that managers can improve on their weaknesses and develop new skills too.

He is definitely making changes a lot earlier this year. Previous years it was about the 75min before a change would come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think with all the added time these days football has changed slightly, a little bit like rugby where your finishing XI is nearly as important as your starting giving the ball is regularly in play for well over 100 minutes now, I've really liked the Elliot/Nunez sub around the hour mark in games it changes the game nicely for us.

I suppose when you are a goal down regularly, more likely to make changes! Then again, that happened all the time last season. He has better options on the bench than last season.

When we were at our peak, going a goal down never mattered much. I always thought, that's a bit annoying but they've got this. 9 times out of 10 they did.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Funnily enough I was looking back at the premier league years on Sky a few weeks back and I was amazed at how many times we went behind in games. Even up those 97+ back to back season we put together...games I completely forgot about, 1 nil down against Villa going into injury time only for Robbo and then Mane to grab a winner.

Yeah, we were the masters of injury time winners.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think there was ever really a risk of us losing that game, even their goal was just a wonder strike. Could argue he shouldn't have been left free on the edge of the box but 9/10 times that ball soars over the bar or well wide.

I'm not sure there's much to take from that game (ignoring the 3 points), LASK are nowhere near our level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im assuming with the NLD at 2PM we wont be on the telly this sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

In other news, that isn't really Liverpool news, just with the constant mentioning of Jurgen Klopp, Nagelsmann has been appointed the German manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Great news. So we can forget about Klopp speculation for at least 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp has never had a quality of bench he has now in attack and midfield. The drop off from Salah. Bobby and Mane was huge before, now you can bring on the likes of Jota, Nunez or Gakpo. Even someone like Elliot, he's a quality player to be able to bring on to change a game.

• Advertisement

It is class to have 2 genuinely good front 3 options on the bench and 5 options to start. Even Nunez, although it mightn't be working out exactly as we'd like, he's a different option to start or bring on. He's getting better and better at using his physical strength to hold it up and just create chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Salah is just phenomenal! We should be looking to extend that man's contract instead of entertaining any offers from the Saudis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just saw that Klopp is our first manager to win 50 games in Europe. So he's got the best win percentage of all our managers 😉

I'd obviously rather him be fit and playing but it's good to see Thiago still engaged as a member of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's such an exaggerated Scooby Doo Cartoon look over at Thiago hah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm not so sure. I'd guess Jurgen would not take kindly to any player coming down into his space and giving instruction to any player about to take the field. The swivel was probably part of the whole 'whats this about' that probably took him by surpise. Upon seeng Thiago he probably put 1 and 1 together.

I could be completely wrong as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I mean I hope not, I obv Klopp trusts his advice but also hope he doesn't think it was out of bounds giving it but we'll see.

In previous years it was a bigger drop off in quality from the first 11 to the bench, certainly up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pep Ljinders has spoken in interviews about Thiago being told not to instruct players because that's not how the system works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Common sense really, two people giving a player conflicting instructions/ advice is not great at any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Could have been a few words of encouragement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Obviously, but people are inclined to say " watch X " take a shot" etc which might be the opposite of the management plan, better to get the last instructions from those who have made the decision to put him on and have a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That's a sensible view, but when the system is broken it falls to the players on the pitch to fix things. Ljinders was critical of Thiago advising the young players (Bajcetic, Elliott and Jones) on how to prevent some potentially dangerous situations developing. Klopp/Lijnders's system works when we recover the ball in such situations and counter attack at speed however at the time that wasn't happening and as a result the team was consistently exposed defensively. Ljinders trusts the system and doesn't believe it needs to be adapted for opponents. It makes Liverpool predictable, particularly when the system isn't working due to the form of the available personnel.

The LFC Twitter account posted highlights of our 3-2 vs Leicester on this day in 2017 and all it's done is give me Mignolet PTSD, we really watched this man do stuff like this every single week for years

(granted he saved the penalty he gave away lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

These stats are mental, I just seen that Manchester United is after having their worst start to a premier league season since it began. How is that even possible after all the managers they've had since Ferguson left.

I actually know how it's possible, they've not won or drawn enough games to get enough points but still crazy all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement