Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We need to talk about Virgil

He's shocomfat the minute. On his heels for their goal, and stood looking at Bowen on the 6 yard line from that free /corner and gave him a free header. He's supposed to be the leader, but if we had anyone else his starting place should be under threat.

Good 3 points, middle 3 were pretty good is a little passive at times, especially in that first half. Szob is quality, Jones was good today and Mc is a good player, good business getting those 2 lads in. Darwin is fvckin nuts, but played a big part and is a grafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We're the only team City don't want in good form.

Don't get me wrong, they'll win the league more than likely, but Pep would prefer Arsenal in a race to us.

By a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maybe we can poach that Caicedo lad for a couple mil when Chelsea get relegated

Great target man play from Nunez again today, he won possession almost every time it was sent long.

Noticed something when Alisson has possession; Szoboszlai drops deep just in front of the CBs for the pass between them from Alisson.

If he's not tracked the pass is played and he can turn and drive forward into space, and he's the last man to want on the ball with a clear path in front him.

But if Szoboszlai is tracked it pulls an opposition midfielder way up the field and Alisson goes long down the middle to Nunez with a lot of space to control it, and Mac Allister drives forward because Szoboszlai is back.

If I'm bothered later I might try find some clips of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nunez has really improved his play with his back to goal. He was always a nuisance running in behind but now he's added this to the game which makes him even more difficult to play against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Great start to the season. Especially as Virgil, Trent and Konate have all missed multiple games. Great assist from MacAllister. Don't think we're seeing the best of him as a 6 but he's doing a job there. Next two league games are Spurs away and Brighton away. Will know more after those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

remember that crazy day around deadline day, when you were getting outbid by Chelsea, 4 weeks later who got the better deal , now that the dust has settled - glad that greed didnt win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Don't think we need to talk about him.

Replace him would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It seems they've spent 100's of millions again this Summer and still have the exact same problem they had last season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kind of stupid to spend nearly 200 million on defenseive midfielders a week before the seasons starts when they need a goalscorer, no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Well one of their forwards, Nkunku, got injured before the season started and had to have knee surgery. Whether he would be an answer is not known, but it is something that is just bad luck on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That just makes it worse!

Their main striker gets injured just before the season starts and they respond by spending nearly 200m on defensive midfieders...?

Apparently he's out until November - their season could be over by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think he will be the answer either looking at his stats. I agree their transfer strategy has been all over the place and I doubt anyone would disagree, but there is the foundations of a good team there. Whether they will have the chance to show it will be interesting to see.

I'm sure they will at some point with Poch at the wheel, but they should really have used the opportunity to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Chelsea are unmanageable at the moment, the turnover of players is insane and there doesn't seem to be a semblance of a plan regarding the players they are recruiting. You could put Klopp and Guardiola in there together and they wouldn't be able to sort that mess out. If they leave Poch alone and let him do his job he might have a chance, but, there's way too much interference from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Missed the game. Good win though, two big games coming up. 4 points would be a veey solid return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Gomez was very good to be fair to him today. Seem to win every battle that he was involved in and also looked decent when on the ball too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was something in the manner of Klopp after the game. The way he smiled and was bouncing around. It just gives me good vibes and a lot of optimism for a title challenge. He knows that the players are capable of it.

There might be 1 or 2 players missing from the squad to make it a real force but that can be bridged by Klopp's magic. Whether it will be enough or not, given the form of City, is another thing.

Some people just can't give certain players any credit when they actually deserve it, it's disappointing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Sure certain 'fans' and I use that term loosely,are very quiet when Nunez has a good game!

Excellent he was today and am so happy he scored!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Can you be specific,or at least narrow it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Szoboszlai really is a joy to watch, and knowing he's only 22, his potential is just crazy. He's got it all. I abhor comparisons, especially with arguably one of the best midfielders of all time, but we've not had a midfielder as dynamic since peak Stevie G.

The Gomez chants on the Kop were brilliant. He had a very good game.

McCallister was superb.

Btw I'm really happy for Curtis Jones, I thought he needed a loan and would eventually be sold but he's really carved out a role for himself in this team. he's shown a lot of development from who he was when he initially joined the first team, far more sensible and composed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You forget how young he is sometimes, he has really matured though, the penny dropped last season for him that its a team game. Pass the ball and work hard that's what Klopp want's in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's got a goal in him too. Even his fine finish for the disallowed one showed that.

I still worry about his ability to do the dirty side of things, though that's probably an issue with all our midfielders to an extent in the absence of a Fab type, but strong start to his season keeping Endo, Grav and Elliott out of the starting XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really happy to see Darwin finally getting into his stride. He’s a great focal point. Kinda like what we signed Benteke for al those years ago…. But Darwin is actually working.

I am worried about VVD tho. He stood there and let Bowen score his goal and also in the second half let Bowen get above him for a header on goal.

I didn't see Bowen's goal at the time but having watched it back I really don't fault VVD too much, it's was an incredible piece of improvisation from Bowen. It's tough to get any sort of contact on a header from that angle, never mind placing it in the far corner like it did.

VVD had some other shaky moments yesterday but the goal itself isn't a big blunder imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought he lost Bowen completely tbh and was caught on his heels.

He had this immediate reaction when the goal goes in where he throws in hands up. He might not mean it but it looks like he's blaming someone else for it.

He does this alot and it leaves a bad taste.

He actually didn't stand there, he completely misread the cross and took an extra step back towards goal and by the time he realised his position was off he could only stretch for the ball to try get a toe on it. He should have stood his ground earlier and he'd have had an easy enough hoof for a clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I wouldn't place too much blame on Vvd for that goal. He burst a gut to get back into a defensive position but Bowens movement after that is excellent and the delivery is quick and on the money making it very difficult for Vvd to adjust. There were other instances in the game I thought he could have been better in than that one.

That was a hell of a finish from Bowen, a diving header at that angle into the bottom corner.

Special word for Alisson save at the start, undoubtedly the best GK in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Such an overreaction in here for VVD. He had one bad game yesterday but he's solid so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tough start to season with the away fixtures

Chelsea

Newcastle

Wolves

Next up away is

Spurs

Brighton

Luton

City

If we can come through these with good results, we're very much in a title race. Spurs away next week is difficult, they're in a good place, the manager is demanding high energy or else, and is getting it, need to match it, can't afford to start badly there. Of course we will go there, and play like we're at home right from the off, as that is Klopp's way, we'll be high, and try to inflict our game on them, we won't go there, sit deep, keep it 0-0 and hit them on the break, there is no compromise in Klopp's approach, strong managers never alter their beliefs, we'll concede, but we'll score, it's down to who can take their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Last year the midfield personnel weren't up to the task and the early season form was a series of of disasters. Every post match interview was Klopp explaining why things weren't going to plan and answering the inevitable questions about the impact of his refusal to sign players in the summer transfer window.

Now there are young (20-24 year old) enthusiastic players available to do the required running and things are looking very different. It also helps that these players are also creative which gives Klopp the option of tactical tweaks he didn't have before. He has always thrived when coaching the young players even when his team wasn't winning because he knew the potential was there. The team are delivering game winning performances and Klopp is not under pressure to fall back to the old heads early in the season, at present it seems like Thiago can remain wrapped in cotton wool until the Spring time if needs be.

It's great to see him walking tall after games again and not carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, hopefully that will remain the case throughout the season.

• Advertisement

Klopp is loyal to a fault but last season was a learning experience for him, you have to keep the squad fresh, especially the midfield engine room.

He was very good yesterday I thought.

Also, yes he's been solid this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Szob reminds me more of Alonso than Gerrard. Young Bajcetic reminds me of Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

He can pass like Xabi but his physical presence and engine is on a different planet to Xabi's.

He more comparable to Gini Wijnaldum to be honest but his vision and passing is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great start to the season so far, great to see the new players have settled in so well and others like Gomez and Nunez have found form, so far almost everyone in the squad seems to be playing better than last season ( not hard, but, good to see). I know we've had a few ropey spells, but, that's to be expected with a new midfield. Even at this early stage it looks like we're pretty much nailed on for top 4, and might even finish as high as second. Unfortunately I think City are going to be out of reach, would be happy with top 4 and winning EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya I only saw the goal this morning and don't understand the ott criticism of VVD for it. He got back to cover but his body was going one way and he couldn't adjust to get anything on it due to where Bowen was.

Hope to see more Ben Doak on Wednesday. We're in a lovely position where we can rotate a full XI and still have a great lineup now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd take 4 points in a heartbeat from the next 2 fixtures.

Really tough start to the season, if we can hang in there and keep getting results, who's to say what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I’ve been thinking about our chances this season quite a bit since the weekend.

I think there are three things that are key to us having a successful season

The fitness of our midfield

The form of Mo Salah

The form and fitness of Ibrahim Konate

I think we’re in a situation now - and you can tell by the joy in Klopp’s demeanour - that he has a team structure that he likes.  Szoboszlai has started better than you could possibly have hoped for, Nunez has given him several ways to structure his front 3 (balls in behind the CB, strong hold up play), and Curtis Jones has kept his levels from the end of last season.

Salah, I really believe, is in the form of his life right now.  I know that is ridiculous to say after his first season with us, but he is majestic right now.  He seems to be able to manage games better than ever and he’s scaring the crap out of opposition defences.  West Ham dropped off most times he got the ball in situations that were in any way dangerous.  He’s creative, he’s direct, and he doesn’t seem to ever get injured.

But the last one is the one for me.  Konate.  The man is a physical freak, and the type of profile of centre back that the world’s best clubs are looking for.  He’s the only one that can cover Trent properly in the last line of defence when he’s caught, and he has the ability to utterly dominate any forward.  But with Van Dijk visibly on the wane from his otherworldly powers of 3 or 4 years ago, we need someone to step up and be an anchor.  We cannot get away with giving away goals like we have been doing - it will find us out.

It is a blessing that our forward options mean we can blast through most teams.  But if we’re to get any trophies and any semblance of making City even think about us, then the defence has to be better.  The Van Dijk lazy leg yesterday annoyed me no end.

I’ve said it ad nauseum - we’re the only hope that this league has of making City sweat.  Salah scares the shít out of Pep, and he knows the team can go on a run like his can.  I’d wager that he hasn’t lost an ounce of sleep over Arsenal, and I bet you he didn’t last year despite their start to the season. They’re City lite, which means Pep can control them somewhat.  But if Liverpool keep this going, he knows it’s in them not to let up.  They can at least worry them. 

I don’t think we’ll do it, but I’m so much more hopeful of at least laying a glove on them than I was in August.

• Advertisement
Advertisement