Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What do they mean "The VAR failed to intervene"? Like isn't that their whole job, WHY did the VAR fail to intervene?

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People can moan about the offside goal all they want, no argument there, it was clearly onside and there are questions to answer.

The rest of it though , meh. I guarantee you that not a single person moaning about the Jota red would be saying it was harsh if it had been a spurs player on the receiving end. People are in denial if they do not see how it's easy for that to be given as a red.

The first Jota yellow, yep not a yellow card but this in itself is a minor mistake. These yellows happen all the time and they happen to every team. The only reason people are actually talking about this one is because Jota was stupid enough to dive into a tackle moments later and get himself sent off.

Robertson knew exactly what he was doing for his yellow by the way. He led with the arm to the face.

Alisson was booked for time wasting.

I get it, people are annoyed about the defeat particularly the manner of it, but some of the stuff here really is playground material. Even taking issue with how Spurs celebrated a last minute win, cause everyone knows that we celebrate our last minute winners with a quick round of applause, a few doffs of the cap and off we go.

I agree, Liverpool will have gotten more out of that than Spurs (ignoring the points obviously). I think it'll massively stand to us. I don't think the last minute goal will really affect what we take out of the game (again, ignoring the points), that was just pure bad luck. Last season I don't think we'd have seen that out for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

That was disgraceful alright, when Cody got fouled in the first half, imagine them calling over the ref and showing the still of Destiny's knee coming through on Cody's ankle. The results were the same in both cases, tackles where momentum takes you through and you make contact with a player.

If that Diaz goal is rightfully allowed I believe we win that game, we've been down to 10 before and we held our own even at 9. Totally different game if simply that one completely objective decision is made correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Was only thinking there Genuinely hasn't been a harder game to shallow of poor decisions since that game at Goodison . That winner was ruled out after Pickford cut VVD In two for the season and richarilison took out Thiago for 4 months.

Really hating all these games going until 96-98th every week . All for time wasting to be cut out conceding in 85th barely feels like a late goal anymore . Cruel an end to a game I can remember for a very long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It means the 2 var officials didn’t want the goal to stand, and possibly the linesman too. For whatever sinister reason, but we all have our own conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How could they not intervene? I mean WTF?

'The goal by Luis Diaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials. This was a clear and obvious factual error and should have resulted in the goal being awarded through VAR intervention, however, the VAR failed to intervene.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Less said about todays officials the better. The Diaz Goal should have stood.

Also in the first half the ref awarded Liverpool a corner on replays it showed no contact from the Spurs defender who went through Gomez so why was the ref not sent to the monitor to view it considering that is what VVD got a red card V Newcastle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I raised this earlier... The results weren't actually the same, only one player was injured and had to leave the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Oh God no, the cringe would overwhelm me, Spurs done nothing wrong, it's not their fault the refs are incompitent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gary Neville when he read it said'' no no no no, we get the info first, and it was checked, then declared off''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nothing will happen. This will all be swept under the rug

Heung Min Son got his red card overturned a couple years ago when he actually broke the opponent's leg so I'm sure Jones won't be suspended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

An apology is of no use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes, but they didn't do enough to win it either. They didn't legitimately outscore Liverpool. Change the result to a draw would be fairer but if I was Spurs, I'd be embarrassed to take 3 points there and would offer a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The lying on the Statement is the big issue now. Will the media please for the love of God chase it. That's the story now. Neville has shown they checked it. Why the statement they didn't intervene.

The irony of their fake transparency by allowing sky to hear comms just showing how they are really incompetent liars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Lots of reply's about Paul Tomkins being a bit conspiracy theorist with his data about the referees and their decisions against Liverpool and using data to show it. Nothing that happened today will make it easier to just shrug and say...well it happens to every team. We finish 2 points outside of the CL places, or heaven forbid behind the title winners, at least we got an apology from the PGMOL. Thanks Howard...that makes up for it.

And for anyone saying without VAR it would have still been offside, sure, but Jones would have been on the field as well so the situation would not have arisen. We have VAR, I want VAR, I just want the R in VAR to be anyone but those incompetent bunch they have in there now. No clue how to use it correctly.

Tbh lads, don't want points or replays.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Because it's a lie.

The only explanation, for me, is that they saw the replay and, for some reason, quickly decided it was fine. Which is absurd.

But it was checked. It always is. And Neville himself heard it had been checked.

That PGMOL statement is a terrible effort to make it go away quickly with an 'it wasn't the tech' explanation, but they didn't seem to cop on that saying the referees just didn't bother checking is even more ridiculous. Because if they didn't bother checking, then that raises even more questions - far, far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gakpo in a knee brace

I'm befuddled now!

It had to checked, sure nobody knew if it was definitely on or off.

Just why wouldn't they check a decision that is as clear as day a VAR decision. They f*cking waste minutes drawing lines on plenty of goals.

Ah anyway, FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There is no way the result will change or a replay.

Wouldn't want either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I didn't see Klopps interview but I hope he walked out said VAR isn't fit for purpose and then walked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭antimatterx

They're 100% lying. Gary Nevile said he heard they said "check complete"!.

So incompetent.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone seriously wants a replay or points given

The first yellow for Jota wasn't a minor mistake. It led to him being sent off.

Everyone knew it was wrong, VAR knew it was wrong why wasn't the ref called to look at it. Especially in relation to when he was giving out the second yellow.

They are quick to tell refs when they want yellow cards changed to red but nothing to stop wrongful yellows in the first place.

Its just frustration. Every other teams fans would be raging too.

• Advertisement

Neville confirms that he gets VAR info first, up in the gantry, and in his earpiece is a direct link to VAR teams audio, and he heard '' check, check complete, no offside'' so for the statement to say that there was no check is pure lines, or Gary is lying, and I believe he's not, so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ah lads, they said sorry...

That's OK PGMOL, don't worry about it.....sure it could happen to anyone

Someone said last week they were as well off having some guy in the booth tossing a coin to decide on contentious decisions, at least then there would be a 50/50 chance they'd get it right!

They have at a minimum to broadcast the deliberations live, we know they are covering stuff up at this stage.

Another thing that really pissed me off was the yellow for Alisson. I'd love to know the amount of time that passed for the ref to deem it time wasting. Watching it live it didn't seem excessive at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But if a Spurs player was on the receiving end, I guarantee you, the Spurs thread would have been full of posters compaining and rightly so.

Spurs player only had eyes on Robbo, no intention of looking at the ball like Robbo - he came off worse.

I cannot remember the last time I watched a Liverpool game and SO Many Big Decisions went against us.

Alisson wasn't booked for time wasting though at all- VVD was apparently.

I don't necessarily see a conspiracy, but when so much goes against you, I think it is correct to complain and call out such decisions. They have to be highlighted

No problem with Spurs celebrating a win but it was a tad ott - even taking a lap of honour with your child in your arms like it was a Cup Final win.

Cherry on top has to be the Blatant Lie of an excuse issued by the PGMOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pearce has tweeted that Gakpo is in a knee brace.

We'll turn Neville into a Liverpool fan yet. Sides with us on the red for Jones and calling shenanigans on the offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The statement left me with far more questions, and not single answer as to the why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This would be the precautions with all knew injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You can have whatever technology you like, but if the people in charge of it are morons then..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They didn't check it though, anyone with a brain would have seen it is close and would have gotten the ruler out. They called check complete without knowing if it was offside or not. This is going to take some explaining and the audio will have to be released I think. The VAR and whoever else will have to be stood down for a while as well as this was just plain old incompetence on a mammoth scale.

And to get myself even more worked up, remember when they would give yellows for showing a yellow card?

But I guess the scoring will show the referee got 94% of the decision correct in the match so its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

October Games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

And just because it's worth saying...the Statement didn't apologise. Just said they'll contact Liverpool to acknowledge the error.

Shower of morons.

Webb should be asked to consider his position on the basis of that statement and the continuing failures of the officials under his watch. Like there he is going in linekers podcast and going around to the clubs. Inviting the media to VAR Hq. Do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is it more believable that the referees continue to be this bad, or that there is some level of corruption?

I'd almost have more understanding if it was corruption.

And it's obviously by no means just us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He certainly was, in the refs ear on a consistent basis and he wasn't even their captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

From the first minute.

Players aren't stupid. They know the referees that are braindead and have no idea of the rules and how they should be implemented.

Whatever about Hooper, Darren England should never be allowed near VAR again. It is obvious he is not comfortable with technology.

In fact, it looks like he is a complete techno-phobe. An ideal candidate for VAR then according to Webb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

He was very calm and measured. Though he did comment that it's expensive for him if he's not

Easy way to look at it is how many decisions went against Liverpool and how many went against Spurs.

Here for is what went incorrectly against Liverpool.

1. Debatable red on Jones, especially with a still of the contact being left on the screen when the ref went over to it. They then don't show all the angles and only show it in slow motion.

2. Gomez penalty claim, Spurs player missed the ball and went through Gomez, been similar penalties given already this season.

3. Salah yellow, ref deemed that he committed a foul.

4. Jota first yellow

5. Destiny waving imaginary yellow card from that first Jota yellow when already on a yellow himself.

6. Jota second yellow. Debabtle but it was a lunge to get the ball and advantage could have been played.

7. Allison yellow card

8. Foul on Endo, play called back when advantage led to a corner.

Incorrect decisions against Spurs.

Seriously, I'm struggling to think of a decision that went against Spurs, what did I miss? Maybe one or two of the late yellows.

That ref and VAR team should never ref in the Premier league again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Advertisement