Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I will be astonished if that offside error happens to Spurs, or anyone, this year. It's an entirely unprecedented fck up.

And grand, so you confirm that Jota's yellow was indeed entirely incorrect.

As for yellow's not given, there's quite a few that should've gone the other way - like the by-the-rules guaranteed yellow to Udogie for brandishing an imaginary yellow, while already on a yellow. The reffing today was an absolute disaster, and entirely dictated the outcome of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Theoretically, if that happened and the player started walking and a free was taken, I bet they would stick with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So on the "balance of things" he deserved to be sent off. You are saying that because Jota should of got an earlier yellow he deserved his first yellow. Christ on a bike you are really making it up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nah I didn’t confirm anything.

I said he had three bites at getting a double yellow.

Then i can only assume you're on a total windup here. So i'm out.

Not really.

He got a double yellow. He deserved a double yellow.

Jones deserved his yellow upgraded to a red as it was a potential leg breaker.

The VAR decision for Diaz goal was incorrect.

These are just facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did Udogie deserve to be sent off? He waved an imaginary card when he was looking for Jota to be booked the first time. The player was already on a yellow at this point.

As In Did he deserve to be booked for waving an imaginary card?

Do we know he was definitely waving an imaginary card?

• Advertisement

Yes he was waving an imaginary card.

I'll ask again, should he have been given a yellow for that under the current rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Surely not watching the game you are the VAR on is a sackable offence?

The model for how VAR should work already exists in rugby. If it was the rugby tmo system today, you would have had the ref say to Var "just checking he was definitely offside there". " offside? Oh **** sorry I wasn't watching. Let me check. No mate he is onside".

Goal given. 30 seconds.

Open up the dialogue for gods sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think it's very funny to see a genuinely unprecedented call, a call that has literally never happened in the Premier League until today....and go "yeah well every team gets those against them get over it"

Maybe he just had his arm up in a natural position the same way Romero did when a penalty was harshly awarded against him vs Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Exactly. The fact that "check complete" is their standard phrase is obviously an issue. If, like in rugby, it was a more detailed "have checked the final pass and confirm striker is onside, goal is good" then this wouldn't have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

And also, "we will get a couple of those this season against us, it all evens out at the end of the season."

• Advertisement

Also not having their "we couldn't do anything once the free kick was taken" excuse.

They've given penalties after the final whistle ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looking at MOTD and Amrabat looked very poor in the highlights they showed. Thank god he turned us down to join Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

That was the game where Kane didn't get sent off for the GBH I showed you. So, Spurs players getting away with it, there's your theme.

He was playing LB, he's a CM and that's where he's best. I wouldn't be judging him just yet, he'll be a fine addition to United.

Was it the same game Andy Robertson assaulted Emerson royale on the pitch and deservedly got a red card for it?

• Advertisement

This time last year they spent about 4 minutes drawing lines to find a way to get this one onside against us

That breaks Salah's streak of 12 consecutive games with a Goal/Assist btw, he assisted the disallowed goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

On what basis? The ref saw a foul and punished it as he saw fit, using whatever discretion (presumably it being a soft first offence).

However, Udogie should have been booked for calling for Jota to get the first yellow with his imaginary card waving. This is a defined card offence according to this seasons rules. There shouldn't have been any discretion by the ref.

But Udogie was already on a yellow himself and the ref chose not to bother following a much publicised rule. If you are going down that road, Udogie should have been gone before Jota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If I was in their position I would take the win knowing I had got out of dodge with a bunch of shamrocks stuffed up my arse. Beggars belief that someone would come in giving it the big time Charlie after that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Every single 50/50 went in Spurs favour. Every single one. You can cite incompetence when looking at individual decisions, but not a pattern over 90mins.... And analysing similar contentious decisions over seasons, well Paul Tompkins has done his homework on this (and I say that as no fan of him, the same clown who compared Mane to a monkey), but he's shown via cold hard data there's a inherent bias against Liverpool and especially against Mo Salah.

Among all the dodgy decisions that'll no doubt be debated to death - in isolation (which makes each incident easier to defend BTW) - a minor one stood out for me: anyone remember around the 80th min, when Liverpool were still putting the 3 centre backs up for dead ball situations.. the ref played advantage for the foul on a Liverpool player, Salah then earned a corner but immediately the ref pulled it back for a free for Liverpool on the half way line instead? Where was the advantage there?

Today was corruption and match fixing in plain sight. And it's been going on for years. We can talk about the fact that an ex South Yorkshire Policeman now heads the PGMOL, God knows there's history there, but beyond that, for anyone thinking that the Premier League is one of the few leagues in the world that's entirely virtuous, and that certain power structures in Asia or the Middle East have neither the resources or motive to bribe or blackmail Premier League Refs - the same refs only pictured on a jolly a few years ago with a load of Thai hookers - well, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I hate playing Spurs and them adding Madison has not helped. They go down with every soft challenge and are just a cynical team to play against. I think they perfected it when Mourinho was in charge and it has continued. Add in them seemingly getting a lot of calls in our matches it is a tough fixture for me. Sure we got lucky with Jota when he could have gotten a red and then went on to score the winner in injury time, but that does not even out them getting more penalties at Anfield in one season than us for some reason. It's not like we don't spend more time in the box so the stats just seem weird on that one, or Kane not getting sent off and then Robertson getting a right red later on. Us drawing that match and ending up one point behind City is another.

This fixture will just add to those calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Because football, especially English football, is tribal beyond repair.

Very few fans can look at things purely objectively. You have to 'back your team'. So it's all part of the pantomime. Your team is the 'good guy'. The opposition is the 'bad guy'. Referees are pawns in that circus.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Sky now reporting that the VAR team thought the goal had been awarded by the on field officials. Totally bizarre. How did they think it was awarded, when did they realise their mistake and why didn't they correct it? Answers really need to be provided by POGMOL and there really needs to be consequences. Their statement yesterday really doesn't cover it. Impossible to have any trust or faith in them until they do.

It's all so utterly idiotic. Like, if we're to believe that they really couldn't correct their massive error because play had restarted, it just makes them all look even dumber.

In that instance, they'd be making an error either way, and I don't think there is anyone in the entire world of football who would argue that calling play back a couple of seconds after a restart is a bigger error than fücking up giving a goal. You're fücking up either way, so obviously do the far smaller and less important fück up instead of the ridiculously huge embarrassing match-ruining disaster fück up.

The total lack of any basic common sense in the situation is genuinely baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

After a var peno claim, they check and pull the game back even it it has continued, only potentially intervening next time it goes out of play.

Makes no sense.

I don't really buy they sat there thinking letting the error go was the lesser of two evils here

• Advertisement

The rule of not being able to go back and correct an obvious error, such a big error, because you started with a free kick and its been 10 seconds...it's like a surgeon going on to amputate the wrong leg because he started cuts already and he did not want to stop to correct the mistake. It defies belief that common sense cannot be applied here.

People aren't asking for a match to be brought back 10 minutes because they realise they made a mistake. Just a..."Simon why did you not restart with a kick-off? Oh, it was offside, sorry mate it was actually onside and the goal was good." But again the process is adversarial and not to get the correct decision. I cannot understand why they can't get this right. Rugby still has mistakes with the video referee, but at least the communication makes it clear what is happening and if the referee makes a mistake you can go through their thought process. Here it is all done in the background and a attitude of shrugging off mistakes is just baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Watched that game. In fairness he isn't a left back. But in fairness he isn't that good a footballer.

Casemiro was on a yellow and still managed to do 4-5 yellow card tackles after.

That struck me more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Do other leagues have these issues. Seems to be just premier league that is incompetent in implementing VAR. I only watch the odd game in likes of Germany and La Liga, but am not aware of any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

The VAR incident yesterday is being compared to the Wolves one vs United in the opening game this season, but that's not the best comparison. You can argue if it is a penalty or not as it is opinion.

The closest one that I can think of is from Feb where Brentford equalised against Arsenal and VAR simply didn't notice that a Brentford player was in an offside position and so drew the lines in the wrong place.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-fc-brentford-var-error-toney-mason-arteta-b1059694.html

A total fcuk up by Lee Mason. That could have put Arsenal 8 points clear.

This is worse because the VAR thought the infield decision was goal. So either he wasn't paying attention to the game or he didn't watch the clip properly because he would have seen the linesman's flag.

Someone on Reddit pulled up this one from Spurs last season. No red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

They have given penalties after games have ended.

Really really ****, and none should work in the premier league again this year.

Also very odd how if it was this straight forward mistake it wasn't communicated at half time or full time to Klopp, Liverpool or Sky, (the ref??) (as I'm sure was asked). Very very confusing and just smacks of them trying to “protect their own“.

Reflects really poorly on the whole thing.

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

While Spurs did win I’m still surprised by how poor they were. Madison is a great buy but the rest of them were poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Are there not 3 that make up the VAR panel? If so - and all three were not paying attention - then they all need to be sacked.

I mentioned a few posts back, Spurs will do nothing this year.

Nothing.

They are a failure of a club.

All shiny and glistening on the outside but nothing like it in the trophy cabinet.

Failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Speaking of rugby referee's, they start with a red card offence then looks for mitigating circumstances to downgrade to yellow. Why can't the same be applied for Jones red card? Red card offence for studs up challenge but mitigate it to yellow because his foot slid over the ball and he got to the ball first.

VAR only showed the studs up challenge but intentionally didn't show any mitigation circumstances to influence the ref.

None of their excuses make any sense

How could the VAR Official think the goal was given when the review system and every graphic associated TELLS you what you're reviewing. If the goal was given it would say "Checking Goal - Possible Offside" but it didn't, it said "Checking Disallowed Goal - Offside" which tells the Official right there that the goal has been disallowed and they're reviewing to see if it should be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Because it'd be 'slowing the game down'.

It's madness, but that will be the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

There is no sense trying to make sense of this. Its all bollix

Even if this happened to a rival I'd be fuming. You would be better off watching amateur football locally. At least then there is a good reason for mental decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They spent 3 and a half minutes checking an offside in the Everton game yesterday.

Referees don't want VAR, and are only using it to cover for their mates on the pitch. That's the conspiracy right there, less than a conspiracy to ride Liverpool.

Liverpool are this week's victims of it, next week it'll be some other schmucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Watched.thr game but missed Klopps interview. Did he say anything about the offside ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'd be shocked if Howard Webb goes into all of this on Sky, none of their apologies or excuses make sense so far.

So the latest thing we're seeing is that yesterday's VAR Official, Assistant VAR Official, and 4th Official were all in Dubai on Thursday where they had been hired to referee a league game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn’t see the match, so only going on the highlights.

The Jones Red card is harsh, but, have seen similar incidents given as a red, yellow or go unpunished altogether, already this season, referees very inconsistent on this. The way VAR showed the incident was biased towards giving red, should just show the incident in real time from all available angles, ref could request a slow mo to clarify things if he's not sure. Had Jones been let off with a yellow only, don't think anyone would have complained much about it.

On the Jota red card, he shouldn't have got the first yellow, can see why referee might have thought Jota tripped him, but, surely VAR should be able to clarify this, Jota was an idiot for the second yellow, shouldn't be lunging in like that when just after getting yellow card, so can see why he got red. In the context of the game with Liverpool already down to 10 and having wrongly had a good goal disallowed ( referee probably knew at that stage), I think the referee could have let Jota go with a stern warning.

While I can see why both reds were given (frustrating that on another day neither might get red), the disallowed goal is a total farce, it wasn't even close, probably why the check was over so quickly and likely the VAR officials probably thought the goal was given, but, why, they didn't intervene when it wasn't given is ridiculous. Also they have given a penalty after the end of match ( Brighton v United), so not being able to pull back play after free kick taken doesn't make sense.

Overall Liverpool were very, very unlucky not to hold out given everything that went against them, hopefully the dropped point(s) don't cost us at the end of the season. A very harsh result considering everything that happened in the game, we seem to get an awful lot of poor decisions against us when playing Spurs, seem to remember both seasons we ran City close we had poor decisions go against us against Spurs which cost us points both seasons which proved very costly at the end of those seasons.

Hopefully that's all the bad luck gone with that match, still happy with how we have started the season, even in defeat yesterday, the performance was great, bodes well for the season, so hopefully we can keep it going for the season.

Another clip doing the rounds. Play was restarted after the disallowed goal at 33:50, less than 50 seconds later the ball is out of play, the ref seems to get some sort of communication, responds, goes to blow his whistle and then stops himself..

Release the audio. It's there. Then we'll find out exactly what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement