Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lets believe the season starts next week, and we have a 3 point head start on City going into it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Staying 3 points ahead of City is a nice end to the first round of fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

They're a much better balanced team without Kane but they need players that can finish chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They’re grand without Kane, we should offer to take him on loan for the season to keep Virgil and Joe sharp in training while they recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That No Context Joel Matip Twitter account is fantastic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City could do with Origi, £99m should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No draws opening weekend, 7 home wins and 3 away. Expect home advantage will be a thing again this season assuming we continue to have full crowds.

André Silva was ideal for Spurs if Kane left. Would loved him at Liverpool, can't believe he went to RB Leipzip for only 19m . WTF Solanke made more money and scored 3 goals, Silva had 28 league goals last season in Bundesliga. What a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Kelleher

Williams, Konate, Gomez, Robertson

Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago

Elliott, Bobby, Minamino

Not a bad team of non-starters yesterday, and Jones & Phillips too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And at today's game City would have had

Stefan

Walker, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko

Rodri

Foden, KDB, Silva

Jesus

That's what you're up against.

• Advertisement

Obviously I’m not dismissing the importance of rotation and keeping accumulated fatigue to a minimum, but at the end of the day and for all the money you can pump into your squad you can only field 11 players to start a match. When injuries strike then City and Chelsea are at a big advantage but Leicester have proven the merits of a strong first 11 and good fortune with injuries a few years ago and even we did to an extent in the two seasons before last.

If we can field a starting lineup close to our best in at least 32-34 matches this season, we’ll surely be challenging for the title. You just need that bit of luck with players staying fit and we must be due some after the last campaign. Another quality signing or two definitely wouldn’t hurt though, particularly in midfield. We could hardly ask for better than Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago in our starting lineup but after losing Gini, the supporting cast doesn’t inspire much confidence unless Keita can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think there was any fear he would be leaving anytime soon, Klopp would never stand for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

A team versus a group of individuals who will win? Man City looked devoid of ideas against Tottenham, they had the same problem against Chelsea in the Champions League Final. If Tottenham had more competent finishers they would have been out of sight before the final 10 minutes of the game and managed comfortably.

Guardiola's idea of fielding half a team of creative players reminds me of the Brendan Rodgers childish tantrum experiment at Stoke the season before he was sacked. The difference being Guardiola has the better quality players for retaining the possession and has used the pace of Sterling to good effect. "When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team." - I think it's safe to say that the assertion by Rodgers is absolute nonsense but in 2012/13 nobody questioned it. By 2021 teams have adapted to the situation, managers know that when their team face Man City they will only have possession for 25-40% of the game. Tactics have been adapted to nullify/exploit the Man City template.

2016/17 : Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Liverpool, Man Utd, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Stoke City and Tottenham got results against Man City (78 points).

2017/18 : Burnley, Crystal Palace, Everton, Huddersfield, Liverpool and Man Utd got results against Man City (100 points).

2018/19 : Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham and Wolves got results against Man City (98 points).

2019/20 : Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Norwich, Tottenham and Wolves got results against Man City (81 points).

2020/21 : Brighton, Chelsea, Leicester, Leeds, Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham, WBA and West Ham had the measure of Man City (86 points).

The list of teams in the league that have overcome Guardiola's chosen 11 has grown every season for the past three years. That progression has coincided with the decline of Fernandinho. He's 36 years old and his contract was extended because the club don't have a replacement. Rodri and Gundogan are not capable of holding the team together on their own like he could. Sane left and wasn't replaced which removed a tactical option to change games. Aguero gave them the threat of goals out of nothing, that's gone now.

There are weaknesses in the defenders. Ake, Mendy, Stones, Walker and Zinchenko can all be got at.

Then there is the temperament of the manager and some of the players. Wind them up and watch them go!

A few years ago managers and their teams were in awe of the array of talent that Man City had on match days. That time has passed and now teams know how to prepare for them. It doesn't always work but if a team does the basics right and has the stamina and concentration levels to frustrate Man City it can change the dynamic of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we get the Salah and Henderson contracts over the line, can we say it's been a good summer?

the best 11s of City, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea are all very similar. in fact, I would honestly say that ours would maybe sneak it, but the league is so much about keeping players fresh. our squad just isn't quite at the level of the others, which is why, come League Cup and FA Cup time, our big players will get rests. Klopp has to do it in order to target the two biggest competitions.

Liverpool have the best XI, there is really no weakness anywhere and have word class players in many positions. You put that XI out there every game and we will win the league I have no doubt in it. Its unrealistic though, especially when many are reaching there peak years.

We got the CB we badly needed and key players tied down. I would hope we still bring in a young, robust midfielder to replace Gini but I think Klopp is going to roll the dice with Ox and Keita. The first choice midfield 3 will be Fab, Hendo and Thiago. That will be disappointing to be honest as we are only a couple of quality options away from winning the league again.

but the fact is, all the noises we're getting from Klopp are that he's happy with what he has. he doesn't like an insanely stacked squad. he likes having the likes of Elliott and Jones as part of his benches, and sees no reason putting a £40/50m player there, on massive wages, and who would likely need a few months to get embedded.

I wanted a Gini replacement, but I'm coming around to the idea that I might not know what I'm talking about in this instance, and I'm happy to trust the manager's gut, especially if we've tied down all the players that we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think the size of our squad will ultimately cost us the title this season! Last season can be forgiven as no one could have imagined the injury crisis we ended up facing, but we have no excuse this time round not to have a bench of a similar quality to the starting XI.

We prob have the best 11 in the league but there is a serious drop in quality after and it’s going to hinder us! Midfield is a case in point, 3 of the leagues best start for us and would any other team in the league, but after them we have an ageing Milner, already injured Jones and two others made of biscuits. I was hoping for a serious replacement for Gini.

• Advertisement

So we have no excuse not to have a bench of similar quality to the starting 11 while that starting 11 is the best starting 11 in the league?

How much do you think it would cost to have 9 players sitting on the bench of a similar quality to the first 11? Even allow for an upgrade on 5 of the current 9 on the bench? What you are proposing is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think we need an additional wide player. Bowen / Barnes would be great.

That’s not what I said tho!

We currently have 3 top quality midfielders, a team of our calibre with our ambition should have 4 (which we did until Gini left) or even 5 if the right player is on the market!

Up front we have 3 genuinely world class attackers plus Jota who has a ridiculous ceiling, adding one more wouldn’t be a stretch!

That’s literally 2 or 3 players, hardly another starting 11 but more than enough to get the best out of everyone!

Thankfully we’re covered at the back provided VVD, Matip and Gomes can return to similar form!

Is he happy with it though? You couldn't be happy about losing someone like Gini and not bringing in a replacement. I can't believe him when he says OX and Keita are options, they are permanently injured. Jones and Elliot are young lads that combined don't have the experience of Gini.

It's exactly what you said, I quoted the post for you.

Liverpool do not have the money available to have 8-9 players sitting on the bench of similar quality to the first 11.

We haven't had squad depth like that since the late 80s. Only Chelsea and City can afford something like you suggested.

It’s not tho!! I never asked for a bench of 9 world class players…. I literally said a two or three players (one of which is a replacement) matching the quality of the starting XI isn’t a big ask for a club with our ambition!

I think not having that is what will cost us this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

There may be trouble ahead ...

Liverpool could lose four key players next month after FIFA rule change

Mohamed Salah, Alisson Becker, Roberto Firmino and Fabinho could miss Liverpool games next month amid coronavirus fears

Liverpool could be without Mohamed Salah and Brazilian trio Alisson Becker, Roberto Firmino and Fabinho for a number of key games in the coming weeks as a major club-versus-country headache looms.

FIFA earlier this year ended the temporary exemption rule allowing clubs to prevent players being released for international duty should travel restrictions be imposed or there be a mandatory period of quarantine or self-isolation of at least five days on their return.

Alisson, Firmino and Fabinho have all been called up for the squad for Brazil's trio of World Cup qualifiers against Chile, Argentina and Peru next month.

With the final game against Peru not taking place until 1.30am UK time on Friday, September 11, there were already fears the trio would not be back in time for Liverpool's trip to Leeds United on Sunday, September 13, which kicks off at 4.30pm.

But it has now emerged the combination of FIFA reverting to their regular ruling of clubs being compelled to release players for national team duty, along with current UK Government travel restrictions, means Jurgen Klopp could be without his Brazilian contingent for a number of games in a worst case scenario.

Brazil is at present on the Government red list, meaning anyone arriving from the country faces a 10-day hotel quarantine.

That would mean Alisson, Firmino and Fabinho would miss not only Liverpool's trip to Leeds United, but also their first Champions League group game and the home clash with Crystal Palace on September 18, while also threatening involvement in the League Cup third round.

Salah, meanwhile, has been included in the Egypt squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Angola and Gabon.

The first game is in Egypt, which like Brazil is on the travel red list, meaning Salah would also have to hotel quarantine on his return but due to the earlier dates of Egypt's fixtures he could be available for the Champions League opener.

Brazil and Egypt each have a further two games in October. And should current restrictions remain in place, any Liverpool players called up would then be in danger of missing the trip to Watford, the third Champions League group game and even the visit to Manchester United.

Liverpool are among many Premier League clubs monitoring what continues to be an ongoing situation, with restrictions and conditions constantly changing.

A number of elite sports events, such as Euro 2020, Wimbledon, the Open golf championship and the British Grand Prix, were exempt from quarantine restrictions during the summer.

That, though, is not the case with regular international football fixtures, leading to the prospect of a significant disruption to a number of Premier League clubs with international players from outside Europe.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-players-fifa-rule-change-21316567

City lost CL Final, Charity Shield , and first Premier League game.

That's 3 massive defeats in a row of competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe overstating things a wee bit? The charity shield isn’t even an official competitive game, and while not ideal, losing the season opener away to Spurs isn’t the end of the world. They’ve a terrible record there. The CL defeat alone was big enough for three alright though!

We shouldn’t forget how trash City were for the first half of the season last year - if they’re in touching distance come the midpoint, they’ll fancy their chances.

• Advertisement

We were top Jan 4th 2021, after 17 games.

We also topped the table of the last 13 games Feb to May

We had a little blip in between.

Yet City were full strength and only managed 86 pts.

I think that 3pt head start on City is nice to have, come the very end of season.

Harvey Barnes set to sign a new long term deal with Leicester so if he really is a target he won't come cheap next summer.

Typical ''' new boards'' can't delete a post if posted in wrong thread. What a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Buying Harvey Barnes's when they're already established PL players isn't a cost-effective way to go about getting homegrown talent.

We need to either get them when they're younger, like Sterling, Gomez and Elliot, or get them when their contracts are running out.

If we were to buy a midfielder and a forward now before the window closes I would move now for Sarr and I would try and steal Odegaard out from under Arsenals noses.

Of course that means getting Origi and Shaq off the books.

Sarr would cost about 40m and Madrid are lowering Odegaard's price by the day and you could probably get him for 25m.

Clarkson to Blackburn on loan hopefully his loan is as productive as Elliott's was.

• Advertisement

They played a secret behind closed door friendly against Villa yesterday

Thiago & Hendo both played 80 minutes

Kelleher, Konate, Minamino, Beck and Elliott all played.

They won 4-1 with goals from Jones, N Williams, Origi and Kaide Gordon.

Shirley Salah, if he signs a contract would demand 400k a week

Reports in France that Klopp had been in regular contact with Mbappe over the last while.

There has been stories appearing over the last week or so that FSG could afford Mbappe’s wage demands on a free transfer however they couldn’t afford a transfer fee and wages.

Poor Mane and Robertson still on peanuts.

Sound like my type of plan, keep in his ear, and promise him the world next summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Everything would have to fall perfectly for Mbappe to land at Liverpool. And a lot of the potential destinations may just not be viable options

Barca and Real? - huge financial issues, what will those two clubs even look like over the next 3-5 years, will they be competitive in the CL? It looks unlikely

City? - if they don't get Kane they will be interested. Could be interested even if they do.

Chelsea? - Just bought Lukaku for 100m but Roman can do what he wants so wouldn't 100% rule them out.

United? - They do need a striker and can of course put the money up for him.

PSG? - They sort out a new deal with him, could very well happen.

Then you get us and maybe Bayern as clubs with less financial clout as the above but could probably swing it financially. 100m 'fee' paid over his contract like a transfer fee plus 300k a week in wages would put him earning 700k a week. Throw in Haaland being available for a similar all in fee and not a lot of destinations for either player. Maybe next year, Barca/Real isn't viable, City sign Kane this year and are happy, Chelsea happy with Lukaku, United sign Haaland, he really wants out of PSG and Liverpool become a potential landing spot. It's happening right?

Post edited by Fromvert on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Liverpool just wont pay the wages he expects. He would have to drop his salary demands substantially I'd imagine

Ye you pay him say £600k a week that's 32m a year on a four contract with a £120m buyout after three of those years which would basically pay the club back everything they paid Mbappe in wages and you would hopefully have won a few major trophies in that time to convince him to sign on for another few years and if not he ends up costing you nothing if he leaves for Madrid after three years.

One can dream and I dream of Mbappe in the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Very unlikely but when January comes around and Mbappe officially starts talking to teams, I'd guess Liverpool will have a slight interest to hear what teams can actually afford to offer him and who is actually in for him, there may only be one or two teams in for him. It's a 0-5% chance and a lot more 0% but I'd say they'll have a look.

And as Agent Coulsen said above, you give him an out after 3 years when he's 26/27 and everyone shakes hands and moves on if he wants out then.

*I'm in full on silly season mode here so large quantity of salt. But currently there's not a ton of teams ready to fight over Haaland/Mbappe. More likely, Haaland to PSG or City and Mbappe to United and we can all cry next year.

Whatever Mbappe’s next move is, I’d bet a good sum he’s decided on it already and it’s been agreed in principle, either a new contract at PSG or a move to Madrid next summer.

Those are the other options for him in the unlikely event he doesn’t join us of course.

Not a chance IMO, unless VVD is on the same, or at least approaching the same.

Salah, I would guess, has made sure he is the highest paid player at the club. but we all know Liverpool will not destroy their pay structure. i would suspect if he gets 400k a week, that it will cause absolute mayhem. i'm confident that he'll be on a little more than VVD, but it won't Utd or City level wages.

all this is guesswork, of course. i have no way of actually knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

In the title winning year and previous, did the accounts not show that we were closer to Utd for wages than expected. We know there is a bonus structure. I wouldn’t be surprised the contracts are US type. They quote the maximum you can earn when all bonuses are included but your base wage is much lower. So in a very good year, maybe 400k is achievable when averaged out over the year. But, in average year or poor year it won’t reach that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The way we do contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up getting 400k, but that'll be including bonuses, like winning the league and being top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I think there's a reason Mo's contract is being left til last and that's cos the club know he'll cost them most to tie down. Get the others done first, they can't complain about the terms they agreed after the fact if Mo gets much more than they do. And let's be honest here, he absolutely deserves stellar wages, I can't see too many in the squad not thinking he deserves it too.

I don't think it causes problems in the squad at all. They all agreed what they agreed.

Davies gone on loan for the season to Sheff Utd

• Advertisement
Advertisement