Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ignore. Another one that only comes along after dropped points.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We didn't play well, but should have been 3-1 up. Long way to go at that point, but if Gravenberch hadn't missed, would have been a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Before the season started if we were told we would be a point off city and 3 off the top at this stage i think nearly everyone would be happy considering we are trying to bed in a new midfield.

But before the spurs game a lot of us were hoping we could get 4 points off those 2 games. We only ended up getting 1 so I can see how some posters are a little disappointed.

Still we are in a great position considering 5 of our games have been away and 3 of those to Chelsea,Spurs and Brighton. There is plenty to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they're making it up as they go along lads.

the problem is that fouls are subjective to some degree, so there will always be an excuse if you can find one. that's why I don't think there will ever be consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It was also stated that he wasn't running in the direction of the goal, like WTF, the ball was rebounding out away from the goal into his path, if he was running towards the goal he would have been actually running away from the ball. Who the f**k makes up this sh*t, just bloody ref the game with common sense as you see it. All it takes is one look at the clip and you can clearly see Gross intentions, he has no interest in the ball and his sole intent is to take down Szobo to prevent him getting on the ball and putting into an almost empty net (there was a defender on the line to be fair). Like this was a million times more of clear goal chance than Isak one earlier in the year, and even in then VVD actually makes a genuine effort to play the ball, unlike Gross yesterday. He didn't even get booked!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I was wondering why Alisson went so far out to take that free kick and then play the ball behind himself.

It seemed pointless, why not just let a defender or midfielder take the free kick instead of putting yourself under pressure to get back to goal should something go wrong, which it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You wonder why football discourse is in the gutter and then you see posts like this from the main PL broadcaster. They own the rights to show the full video but would still rather post a misleading still image to generate outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It's done purely to for clickbait because they know it's will rile people up. They know exactly what they are doing posting a photo like that leaving out the context it hit his leg before .

The rules are clear in that regard I don't know what de zerbi was on about. He's lucky he didn't lose a man after Brighton denied a goal scoring opportunity by hauling a player down in the 6 yard box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Gravenberch was very good, yes he missed a great chance but it has been a while since I have seen one of our midfielders play a 1:2, get to end line & cross to another midfielder in the 6 yard box, for the last few seasons they would have all been outside the box!!

We missed the forward options of Jota & Gapko off the bench as the game was getting stretched.

Arsenal might win the league though having watched last season, I think they will struggle to finish it off. If that holds true then it is City that we have stay close to, we are 1pt off them and hopefully when we play them, we will be ahead of them.

A top CDM and we will definitely be in the mix, I have no clue if Andre is any good but hopefully come Jan 1st he is signed if the club think he could be a good fit.

Forgot to mention that Alisson save yesterday, wow. We all know he's the best in the world currently but in my lifetime he has to be the best 1v1 goalkeeper I have seen. Schmichael was great too that ability to make himself big but keepers have alot more to their game these days.

the only Premier League goalie that compares in the 1v1 aspect is Schmeichel.

Alisson is ludicrous at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I genuinely don't expect opposition strikers to score when they're clean through, which is a ridiculous compliment in itself

Yep, same I don't panic his reading of a situation is out this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think he was on the edge of the box when Brighton won the ball high up IIRC, went back to his line and then made the correct decision to come out and close him down. Very impressive decision making.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

The attacker looks up as he's about to strike and Ali has already closed down the space. You talking split second decision making of where to put your body. Incredible really and he does it time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

The Brighton game was the first I thought we missed hendo. Just for impudice to get the ball moving and make spaces and co ordinate. Don't see any of that from Mcallister who looks in slow motion, as for gravenberch I can see why he a manager might take a dislike. He has phenomenal physical and technical attributes but there's something missing attitude wise. Szob is pretty damp good, powerful mobility too but not enough to cover the MF cracks. We all know we need a better DM so **** kinda doomed to failure at points, like playing with 2 dodgy keepers in the past. Just enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't miss Hendo, Fab, Ox or Keita in the slightest. Not a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Did you watch hendo last season? The amount of time he gave the ball away was unreal. Hendo would not of made a difference yesterday.

Our midfield was poor yesterday. No doubt about it. Waste of time playing McCallister as a 6. He was useless there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't know if I'd say Hendo would have or no but we were way too open at times yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

I said the team, not you. More to the point the team miss the time we had midfielders like hendo and wijnaldum who could control a game and build a platform in a match, we are dangerous yet vulnerable to an untested degree.

Hendo would absolutely have done a better job than Mac Allister yesterday.

So wouid Fab.

If Endo isn't ready or good enough, a DM needs to be signed in January.

Cause they did fantastic last season when they beat us 3 nil. I remember them both probably the worst players on the pitch that day.

Nonsense post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Variance absolutely does not even out over the course of a season. Anyone who knows anything about variance will know that for it to actually be balanced over such a short sample size as 38 is probably statistically the least likely of all the possible outcomes. The odds of it being "balanced out" are actually very high.

This saying is one of my biggest pet peeves in football as almost EVERYONE trots it out and it is simply not true no matter how many times people say it.

Do you actually remember the last time we went to Brighton, we should have been beaten by 5 and Hendo and Fab were hooked at they couldn’t lay a glove on anybody in that Brighton Midfield which contained and certain MaCallister! 

Henderson made a combined 53 Tackles and Interceptions in 2070 minutes played last season

Mac Allister right now has 34 Tackles and Interceptions in 612 minutes

(stats from fbref)

Gravenberch not called for international duty again btw, good news for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Koeman is a little bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Can't say I've spotted any negatives regards Gravenberch attitude thus far to be honest. Not sure what you've seen yourself but he looks to be applying himself very well imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Do we move Grav into the DM role and let macallister back into his natural position or even let Endo play a PL game

Hopefully the aim is to get Endo trained up on the role and in, otherwise that really was a transfer mistake (both getting him in, and not getting anyone else)

I'm hoping Bajcetic is healthy soon. He took advantage of a poor midfield last season and left a huge impression

And yeah I've not seen any attitude issues from Gravenberch, not sure where that idea's come from.

Everything I've seen from him so far makes him look extremely happy and determined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Seeing some rumours around Assane Diao.

Can't say I know much about him...he is very young.

After his miss I thought his reaction was very Mo-like. That wry smile of knowing he should have done better, but believing he will next time. Maybe I was reading too much into it though 🤣

It'd be 10 if not for the refs too

The people questioning MacAllister position in the team currently are very far off, the guy is in the top 3 players for tackles won + interceptions and is currently ahead of Declan Rice in the defensive department. Considering he’s not actually a No.6 those stats are impressive. Our biggest issue this season, it was a problem last season, is our actual defense is poor. TAA missing 3 games already but has only been average defensively when involved, Matip’s is one of the lowest defenders ranked for tackles won, Konate can't keep himself available, VVD 2 games suspended but does not look at it again this season and poor Robbo is miles away from where we need him at. We are pretty much where we left off in that department from last year with Alli coming to rescue poor defensive displays already on several occasions. The table would look at whole worse if not for our 2 new recruits in the middle in MaC and Szobo!!! 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's interesting that Klopp went with mostly the same tactical set up in the game just gone as last year. Remember last season, he played Thiago really high as an almost false 9 in when pressing Brighton. The diamond midfield was back again on Sunday with Szoboslai the tip this time.

But with legs in midfield, we saw somewhat different results.

I thought Trent defended very well on Sunday, he beat Mitoma imo. Gomez didn't have as much luck.

I think there might be some internal conversations about a LB coming in over the next 12-18 months too. Robbo has a lot of miles on the clock for a player his age too....might need to watch out for that. Whatever about his defensive stuff but I thought he was really poor going forward Sunday. He kept turning backwards and passing backwards . His swashbuckling style didn't appear to be there. Might need a rest.

• Advertisement

Ya, its to force that riskier pass from the Brighton keeper/centre half. It was madness trying that last season, but I could see the logic here with the better legs in midfield this season. It was still risky though, as Brighton are insanely good at taking it out from the back. They made our front press look lower league level in certain stages of the game on Sunday, which says a lot, considering we are statistically the leading team when to comes to successfully presses inside the opponents half this season.

I love Robbo, but its becoming an issue now, I wonder would Klopp consider going Pep style and playing an extra centre half at the back these days with Trent fully in the inverted role. We really need to sign another centre half!!!

Didn't even really notice it at first but Szoboszlai gets a foot on the ball even after being dragged down, how can they say he wasn't in possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Forgot to attach pictures showing the high press with a diamond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Yeah, I know about variance - although not the name - I always type that with a sarcastic attitude but it doesn't come through on text...😋

I actually think us being on the wrong end of decisions so far will not make it more likely we will get some rub of the green, I think we are more likely to be punished by the current crop as a result of their decisions in our matches embarrassing them. They are more likely to look outside for blame, the team it happened to rather than themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Well I have worked in the poker/gaming industry for the past 20 years so I know a thing or two about variance and it is unlikely to balance itself out over the course of a lifetime let alone 38 games. It's actually an utterly ridiculous notion that it would balance itself out over a tiny sample size like 38 games, yet it gets repeated week after week after week.

• Advertisement

The lying is incredible.

The idea that he can stand there and say the referee didn't know until the end of the game is mind-blowing.

What an odious bunch they are.

Even his explanation of Kovacic was mad. He says Oliver didn't want to negatively impact the game by sending him off - the same guy who once sent Martinelli off for 2 tiny shoves in 10 seconds. It's just blatant lying.

The purpose is to protect referees, it is blatantly not to get the consistently correct decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

The whole “negatively impact the game” thing does my head in. It’s not the referees job to ensure the game is entertaining, they’re literally just there to make sure the game is played within the rules and dole out appropriate punishments when it isn’t.

But as we saw with that Mike Dean interview, referees see themselves as participants in the game rather than managers of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

It's obvious the refs are incompetent but I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting bribed by our friends over in the middle east who happen to own a football club or 2 in England, I mean how could any ref not send off kovacic last Sunday, 2 most blatant fouls in quick succession and we had mcallister, VVD and Jones sent off for lesser fouls already this season and the VAR disallowed goals smells of corruption too, man city have over 115 financial irregularities thrown at them, who is to say the refs haven't been bribed too, its not beyond the realms of possibility at all and as we know they go out there reffing games too. coincidence I think not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wouldn’t say it’s actual bribery without any actual evidence of such, but it could be more straightforward than that - a referee has a handy earner being brought over to a country to referee games, and doesn’t want to jeopardise that, which might make him think twice about making a call himself and leaving it to VAR.

It’s just another blatant conflict of interest - having referees temporarily working for the same people who own a club in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The thing that does my head in, they use this excuse for not sending someone off but then when Jota is sent off there is no discussion about "not negatively impacting the match" and it is the correct decision as the player put themselves in that position.

You don't even need money in envelopes, referee flies in Etihad aircraft, arrives in Abu Dhabi with Man City plastered all over the airport and is paid extra to do work in the UAE. You cannot say that unconsciously it will not impact the decisions on the field. Why did Oliver not send off Kovatic? Why did the VAR not intervene? Why did he rule out a 2nd yellow so quickly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement