Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

12:30 kick off, post international break, Merseyside Derby. Under those circumstances any win is good enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Refs are making things difficult for themselves by giving yellow cards for every contact. Players need to be allowed to make contact, to make silly fouls to hold up play, and to be warned by the ref, ''do it again, and I'll book you.'' Nowadays two nothing fouls is a sending off , ruing the game

Nunez continues his streak of only assisting Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Exactly. Wasn't great but take the points and move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Right team won. We were only the only team trying to win the game.

If you are "well organised" and "compact" that means you are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

This team is crying out for a good quality starting 6. It will allow us to rotate our midfield depending on form and game plan. Having Gravenberch, Szobo, Mac, Jones and Elliot is great quality in depth and all can make a impact from the bench too. We just need that anchor in 6.

Not even counting Thiago as he's regularly injured and seems to be moving on next season.

About time we got the rub of the green from useless officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

How in Gods name is there a debate on the handball. All saying "unfortunately in this day and age" it's a penalty. He has his hand out wide from his body, effectively blocking off a cross into the 6 yard box. What day and age are they referring to!?

It's not even like his arm is in a running motion either, he holds it in that position

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I thought we played quite well in the first half, looked dangerous, MaC with some lovely drilled passed to Mo twice and another to Diaz, who himself was very dangerous out wide the whole half. But then we didn't get the goal, then Everton go down to 10, the last 10 minutes of the 1st was just helter skelter stuff as both teams were trying to work out their sending off set up. Then the 2nd half played out pretty much like how every games goes when one team goes down to 10, I did however think the goal was going to come tho, when we started working the ball wide and coming in from the channels it looked only a matter of time, in the space of 5 minutes we had the 2 Diaz peno incidents and the diving blocked efforts on Mo and Jota, that was going to be very hard for Everton to Keep defending on a knife edge like that.

I like Elliott coming off the bench. I don't think he's really got the physicality to start many games yet (when he does start he gets outmuscled and outrun a lot imo) but he's still just 20 so there's time for that.

Coming into the game fresh when everyone else is tired puts him on more even ground in this regard, which really allows him to showcase his technical side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Some negative comments on Kostas above, I thought he did quite well. He did put in a few poor balls, but mostly his delivery in the first half was very good, particularly his corners, and really we should have done better from them. A run of games will also show improvement imo.

I liked Grav too, showed some real quality touches.

subs all did well, particularly Harvey and Darwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was very impressed with Grav today, he's ability to take the ball from deep with his back towards goal and then swivel and drive forward into space is going to be a great asset. However, we need to get in an No.6 and get MaC further up the field, yes we get to see some of those cross field zingers when he's playing deeper in that 6 role, he hit 2 beauts in the first half, but his quick feet and ability to move those short snappy balls to the forward line from the edge of the box is badly missed. If we had a proper top quality 6 to go with what we have already, I'd argue we would have the best midfield in the league. Which says something considering how bad we were in that department only 6 months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The only thing that mattered given it was an early K/O post international break was the result and that's what we got, didn't see the second half but the first half was fairly easy for Liverpool, final ball really let them down, another day we go into the break 2 up.

I dunno is it something he worked on during the summer, or is it because he is being used as a substitute now, but he looks a lot quicker. Not lightning quick but he has the 5 yard burst now. He didn't have that before.

I think his sub won the game for us. He kept the pitch big while Everton congested the middle. Stayed out wider on the right to allow Salah the centrality. But Elliott drove with the and used his energy to have 1-2s and create opportunities that way.

Weird game, funny feel to it, the KO time, the international break, the fact Trent was only Englishman in the team, no fierce battles or tackles in midfield, as it takes two to tango, and our midfield knew nothing of this fixture, and just wanted to play their game.

There was no Henderson, or Gerrard, or Curtis, or Carra, or Milner, or Sterling, or Gomez, or OX, or Lallana, or Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Where's Elliott from then? California?

Plus Gomez played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great win. Everton can get fucked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

in the team usually means starting,to me at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's something about Grav definitely. Can see him being a fine option in midfield.

Other than that, job done. Fecked up 2 or 3 good counter attacking chances in the first half.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

A couple of times in the first half he played a lovely little ball to someone from the edge of the box, there's definitely a cleverness to his game. I like what I've seen. As others have said above, a proper 6 would see us suddenly having a very nice midfield indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rip Bobby Charlton

Contentious handball at Stamford bridge too but it's a handball all day long for me and the correct decision imo.

Jamie Redknapp adamant that it wasn't a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looks like we're finishing the weekend 3rd at worst.

• Advertisement

Yep, far too close for me. Ours today was clear cut.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No way man not a chance, he flew at the ball like superman.

Hands are high, but he's hardly a foot away when the ball hits him. I'd be pissed off if it was given against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I came here to post some similar sentiments but this essentially sums it up.

Sick of Everton at this stage...would love to see them relegated tbh so we don't have to play them twice a year.

Sounds like we didn't play well but a win, no injuries and no suspensions against that shower is more than enough imho

There was disappoinment after the draw with Brighton.

The last 2 games combined, Liverpool have gained ground over both Arsenal & Man City with that point.

Fixtures are there for Liverpool now over the next few weeks, so it's the time to put the foot down while the others drop more points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why are a lot of players cutting holes in the back of their socks these days?

• Advertisement

To reduce pressure on the muscles and bloodflow, apparently. Although why kit manufacturers couldn't just make them less restrictive for players I don't know

Commentators curse there from me.

I actually like the derby match against Everton and always look forward to it. Some great memories from that fixture over the years and I have to say I'd be a little gutted if they were ever relegated.

When I started having an interest in football, Liverpool and Everton were the best two teams in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Up until our players started getting injured i agreed but still not over the breaking up they did then.

This is how I feel. I used to have a soft spot for them, but not anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yeah...I grew up then as well but the nostalgia has worn well off for me now tbh.

I can't pinpoint exactly when my opinion turned but this fixture has been pretty toxic since the Duncan Ferguson era.

It's a helluva long way from the days of Graeme Sharp, Adrian Heath etc.... they're just Wimbledon with notions at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Shankly said it best:

“In my time at Anfield, we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside – Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.”

and

“If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I’d shut the curtains.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

First half we did actually play well. We were fractionally off creating lots of chances. Midfield trio were really good and, apart from giving up a chance in the first minute, we were solid at the back.

Seciond half was a bit of a shitshow when Everton, understandably, stopped trying to play. But we got there in the end. Toffees defended very well in fairness to them, hopefully they can repeat that type of defensive performance against other top 6 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Although I prefer him starting, Nunez coming off the bench is still a huge asset. Huge.

Great 3 points. In the derby, doesn't matter how we get them as long as we do.

I think Nunez will start a couple now myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Our subs are winning games for us this season. Some games they've had to save us but games like this is a perfect trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The Elliot/Nunez sub has been great all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

This simply can't be true surely!! 😮 Statistically with the amount of players that have gotten a first yellow against us you are telling me in 8 years only 1 of them commited a second bookable offence against us? Pull the other one mate!

I'm sick of saying it at this stage but we get reffed differently to every other team in the league and it's pathetic. Add in the sheer amount of 12.30 kick offs after international duty we have had since klopp compared to the rest and does anyone still think it's not a vendetta against us or just plain old bribery and corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd prefer they went down, I like the 4-6 points a year but I'd prefer they went away, they're like the English Rangers with the extra sectarianism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tarkowski took Diogo out cynically when he was bearing down on goal (last man but there were others in the facinity) in the first half, a free given and no card, if we want to re-referee the game.

Dyche is a clown, bitching about Klopp taking Ibou off before he got sent off, buy he hadn't the wit to do the Dame himself with Young.

• Advertisement
Advertisement