Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great change! I actually prefer this thanks button to the old site's one too, as names don't show up until you hover over, so the bit of thanks-trolling doesn't really work anymore (though in fairness that seems to have been snuffed out anyway).

With the navigation shortcuts fixed, and the My Forums thing fixed, think we're finally back to a fully intuitive usable site again... well, except for 'Soccer' still being invisible. But it's still all pretty good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very quite the last few days on the rumoured transfer front ,

Starting to look like we are done and dusted with in comings,

Strange no sign of Shaq in training but no word on him leaving either ,

It sounds like Shaq is close to a move to Lyon. Only being held up by Lyon confirming the sale of Cornet to Burnley - some links even saying he might come to us as a super-versatile squad player.

As for incomings - I wouldn't say we're done and dusted. I'd say, as Klopp said, that it entirely depends on outgoings. The squad is too full to add more, but if a few can be shifted, we'll get new bodies in then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Maxwel Cornetto, going to Burnleeeeeey? Give them Cornetto, for a modest feeeee….

*Sorry, especially to the ones who may have never heard the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If someone else posted that, I’d report it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Didn't know that. He actually got some game time. How did he play?

Sarr being linked this evening for £40m.

Reports in France this evening that Lyon have put Aouar up for sale at a knock down price.

We should give them Shaq and a few million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

Mane & Naby Lad have been draw against each other in the AFCON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sarr is easily worth 40m when you see the fees for some players. He's a very very good player and is still only 23. Could do with improving on his assists though but that could be down to who he's playing with more than anything else.

Watford also paid £30m for him there is no way they are selling there star player at a loss of £10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

And he's besto's with Mane which could be a brucie bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Himself and Sadio might have a chance in next summer’s pre-season table tennis tournament. You get the feeling that everything really builds up to that from September onwards when you see how much it means to Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Lyon are in the process of selling their left back, Maxwell Cornet, to Burnley. They are trying to secure a replacement left back before completing the deal with Burnley. The proceeds from that transfer are supposed to finance their deal for Shaqiri.

This evening, L'Equipe have reported the Lyon have made an approach to loan Emerson from Chelsea for the season with an option to buy. I expect that the chain of transfers will take a few days to resolve, but if everything works out then Shaqiri is likely to be a Lyon player at some stage next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It was the last 10 minutes of the Osasuna match, I kind of had it on in the background but he didn't look out of place from what I could see....

Was only a friendly anyway 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Do we still have the best 11 in Europe when everyone is available ?

Stick or Swap , we have very few Swaps

____________Alisson_Stick

Trent/stick_Matip/stick _VVD/stick__Rob/Stick

___________Fab/stick____

_Hender/stick____Thiago/stick_

___Salah/stick__Jota/swap__Mane/swap

Two swaps, Mbappe, Son

United and City have far more swaps I feel

• Advertisement

Harvey Barnes just signed a new deal with Leicester so that's him off the list of possible in comings,

Do you know who i'd love to see play for us although it makes little sense, Saint-Maximum he's 24 , could we get more end product out of him, i know he isn't consistence enough for us but it would be some crack

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Pretty cr@p the way Klopp has to come out to call out homophobic chanting by the away crowd the other day to that kid on loan from Chelsea to Norwich, but I'm glad he did, inclusiveness and solidarity to our LGBTQ+ community...

I know some of our "fan's" from more medieval countries will not feel the same but football is for everyone, regardless what they think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Great to see it though, Paul was on The Anfield Wrap on Monday. Great to see the club taking steps like this along with all the other media content.

Nice to see Klopp and the club try and do something constructive about it,

I have heard people try to defend it & say it was not supposed to be Homophobic as they called him a R*ntboy because he is on loan/rent from Chelsea but in this day and age people should know better

I'm glad the club have tried to do something about it and hope fans think twice in future, , no matter what your race, sexual orientation or religion for the at least 90 minutes each week ( should be constantly ) none of it matters we are all just FANS ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

While i think the Liverpool first 11 is very good when everyone is fit do you really think we have 9 of the 11 best players in the world in their position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I have to agree. I've wanted St Maximin to play for us for a couple of years now and pretty much for the same reason you just said there now, it would be some craic! He is just such an entertaining player to watch but I also think Klopp would turn him into a superstar ala Mane whose consistency doubled after he joined us.

• Advertisement

Mane still always scored goals though, but was a bit patchy, just like Jota. But Saint-Maximin has never really scored goals... most he's ever gotten in a season, even in france, was 6 in a year.

It's one thing improving a players scoring consistency, it's another to get them doing a thing that just isn't really part of their natural game.

He's a great player, and in a different system (say, with an out and out CF) he could be awesome - but as long as we're playing to score our goals from our wide forwards he looks a big risk.

Yeah you're probably right and I'm not saying we should go out and sign him for 60 or 70 million or whatever he would cost, wouldve been nice to get him when newcastle did tho.... I'm just saying I would love him to be in our team cos he is such an entertaining player to watch. Like, I literally watched every game he played last season just cos he was playing and id rather not have to watch Newcastle games! :) The last player that I tuned in to watch every week just cos he was playing like that, and it's a tough one to admit on this thread, was Ronaldo at Utd. As much as I still wanted Utd to lose each week if Ronnie was in their starting lineup I watched them cos he was just that good to watch.

Now I'm also not saying St Maximin is as good as Ronnie, obviously not, but at the end of the day football is meant to be entertainment and for me he is the most entertaining footballer in the league right now hands down. He does also seem very humble from any snippets of him that I've heard over the years which is surprising given his ability. I'd be shocked anyway if he doesnt end up at a top 4/6 club before he leaves England anyway. Feel free to quote me on that and show it to me again in 6 or 7 years if anyone wants to cos the last guy who did that ended up proving me right on my opinion on "FIFA/champ manager" players ;)

Yeah, great to watch alright, and would be a lovely option to call upon to cause a bit of chaos if needed. Like Adama Traore in that regard - I love watching both in full flight cause they're just a bit different to everyone else. It's just the insane prices that make these sorts of risky buys next to impossible.

Yea, I do. For the way we play. Matip when fit is so reliable. Henderson is our Roy Keane.

He is just a breath of fresh air, in today's game everything is about numbers G/A so you don't get to see many wide players with loads of flair any more, There coached to be more efficient, So as you say i just love watching him play ,

He is still quite young and the fact he breezes past one or two player's could open up space for others, Might be worth a punt as an impact sub if we are chasing a game ,

I know its kind of hearth over head stuff and he doesn't make much sense as a purchase ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Was just coming here to post this

I'll be honest, I've sung that with gusto before, I won't again. Always thought it was aimed at the money in the club, and implying the players were only there for money, but they make the point very well there. I'm sure the majority singing it don't have any homophobic intent but if that's how it's heard then it's wrong to sing it, simple as that.

Great respect to the club and Jurgen for making that, and to Paul for explaining it well.

The comments on twitter are, as always, disheartening. I hate the use of "woke" as some sort of insult. Trying not to offend others should be something to be proud of, surely?

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on the subject. Doesn't anyone else find this phase of football with all the focus being on keeping possession a bit boring? A player like St Maxmin gets you off your seat.

I think Klopp handled it very well, Some will say he didn't condemn his own fans but i think like yourself most who sing it do so misguided but he made them aware that its insulting to members of our own fans base, Fingers crossed we don't hear it again ,

The best point he made was singing anything about the opposition doesn't really help us in anyway ,

I see Gomez is back in training photos today so probably just had an extra day off seen as he played in the behind closed doors game on Sunday ,

No sign of Shaq again

ASM is indeed a joy to watch, but he’s also better suited to a weaker PL team who play with less possession as there’s more opportunities for him to dribble and more space to exploit on the counter attack.

If he played for Liverpool, the ball would come to him out wide with two or three defenders nearby and even a dribbler of his calibre will struggle to cope with that week in, week out. I love watching him play too, but like Adama Traore, he’s a bit of a luxury player.

The only big club in England I could see him doing well at is Man United, oddly enough their attackers seem to get that bit more space than our own or City’s, but they’re filled that gap in their squad with Sancho now who is unquestionably the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As fun as ASM is, I don't think Liverpool will be signing any sort of an attacker until they post double digit goal returns in a season first.

Just for the record I do not believe ASM will ever play for us, I'm just saying I would like him to.

Yeah I can absolutely see your point here and my counter would be that he wouldnt actually be up against 2 or 3 defenders any time he got the ball. How often are salah or Mane facing 3 defenders these days when they get the ball? If that does happen Trent or Robbo will be in alot of space that they can then use, or Firmino or whoever...he would need to tighten up when he takes on those players versus using other players in space cos he is double or triple marked...something that I think he would be alot better at at a bigger club with better players. But this is all a moot point anyway cos he will probably never play for us. I could see him winding up at Spurs or the likes

Plus ASM for 3 goals and 5 assists last season in less than 1600 minutes of football, which is not terrible at newcastle tbh considering he is a winger not a wing forward like we use, and that assist number in paticular could have been 2 or even 3 times that amount easily if it werent for the brutal players he was playing with while Wilson was out. As I mentioned before I watched every game he played last season and he created chance after chance for the likes of Joelington who just missed chance after chance....assists can be a very misleading stat to judge a player on cos it all depends on their fellow player actually scoring the chance. And this is all while being double or tripled marked cos he is their only threat pretty much. He would be only 1 of a number of threats at a big club.

Assist never tell the full story ,

For example i read Messi in our famous 4-0 victory had the exact same number of expected assist as Pogba had on Saturday ,Yet one comes away with 4 assist and one comes away with 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

ASM could definitely be a player, biggest negative is his injury record. Maybe that will subside with age. Newcastle where throwing around 70m as their valuation though so probably at least 60m to get him.

Disappointed Harvey Barnes signed a new deal at Leicester, think he'd suit us perfectly and expect him one of the best in the league in a couple of years. Maybe he got a release clause in there that kicks in a few years from now, I can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Klopp is brilliant in that. As always, he says just the right thing.

It's not about being marked by 3 guys, it's about having 3 guys to beat to get a shooting chance. Which is always the case for Mane and Salah - if they have one guy closing them off, as soon as they make their move there's another right there. We play teams with 8 or 9 players pulled back, so there's always a lot of traffic with some players marking directly and others looking to cut off passes and ready to close the angle at the smallest hint of a bad touch. It's just a reality that it's harder to break through for a dribbler when there's 8 or 9 guys there versus the 4 or 5 guys in the box that ASM deals with generally. A sharp short passing ability is just as vital for a Liverpool player in those positions as working a shooting chance is, and shooting accuracy is massive too, as there's usually so little of the goal open to see.

Maybe he could totally do all this stuff, and i'd take him for the 16m Newcastle paid in a heartbeat, but for the 50+ million he'd cost now it doesn't make a lot of sense, especially with his injury record. Think he's another in the Bolasie/Traore camp, who plenty also wanted us to sign when they were on form, but in reality just don't have the tools for our game. By contrast, Leeds Raphina or West Brom's Pereira (before he left) would suit us better. Think our prospective players need a strong balance of chaos and control.

Do Mane or Salah always have to beat 3 guys to get a shooting chance tho? I dont think that's accurate. Sure when the other team is camped in with 9 or 10 behind the ball perhaps but this is simply not always the reality despite how much it gets bandied about. We still create plenty of chances from transitions where the opponents are not set with all their players behind the ball through our pressing or one of those glorious balls from Van Dyke can often set them on their way where they may have to beat just 1 or 2 players to get a scoring chance, this is where ASM would thrive imo.

In fact I would go as far as to say that our current strongest 11 struggles to break down a packed defence as is and this has basically always been the case under Klopp, Keita and then Thiago were brought in to help with this but neither has quite managed to do this consistently for us yet. Someone like St Maximin could be exactly what we need against these packed defences as him waltzing past a defender or two would create the space either himself or a team mate needs to break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just noticed that Robbo's book is only 99p on Kindle atm....surely the best left back autobiography in the world :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/ref=pe_151291_617290911_pe_a4x1_2_reftag/?ASIN=B08HPLTKS6

I'd like to see Hendo & Thiago get some game time on Saturday as I'd want both of them starting against Chelsea the following weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah me too. And with Milner seemingly missing a bit of training this week, I think there's at least one starting spot up for grabs. Keita, Fabinho and then one or the other. IMO Thiago's skillset would be better suited against Burnley whereas Hendo would be more so against Chelsea.

Since both played 80 minutes in that behind closed doors match, i'd say there's a great chance either they both start, or one starts and is replaced by the other with 30 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not Suarez? Surely he was one to watch no matter what? Definitely the most entertaining player I've ever seen. Flair, tantrums, skill, hunger, he had it all!

• Advertisement

_________Alisson________

___Konate_Matip_VVD____

_________Fab___________

Firmino_____________Mane

____Hen________Thiago____

_______Salah_Jota________

Kill em that way

Advertisement