Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Exactly this

I think a lot of the extreme positives are people getting a bit defensive of him when others slate him. I know I do it too. I love the guy and I think his positive attributes are incredible but there's no denying he still has a couple of levels to go. I like to believe he'll do that, but obviously no one knows.

But nuance on the internet can be a rare occurrence 🤣

I really like Nunez, but he's far from a finished article. I can certainly see why Klopp doesn't start him regularly.

I'd love to see Nunez get a run of goals and make himself undroppable.

Steven Gerrard's Al-Ettifaq lost to Al-Riyadh this weekend in front of 696 fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The thing about him while he's 24 he doesn't have a lot of top level football, 3 years ago he was playing in the 2nd division in Spain. He seems very raw still for his age, not headless or anything just far from the finished article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think all things being equal, Nunez is in our stongest 11. He started outside the first 11 with Gakpo playing well, but since he took his chance off the bench against newcastle, he's been one of our best players whether that's off the bench or starting. The early Saturday timing of our matches after the last two international breaks has hurt him a bit, with him being benched - probably rightly - after long flights from South America. Think he'd have started both if he'd had more recovery time. But that's what our depth up front is for, so it makes sense to do what's been done.

Think as the season wears on though, he'll be a fairly firm starter outside the normal rotation that should be done in the front positions.

Despite all the conversations on here about him, he's one guy i'm just not at all worried about. He exudes 'top guy' energy in a way that only he, Mo, and - to an extent - Diaz do. I'm also hoping that he's the one that gets shifted right when Mo is out at AFCON, think he's the only one that can really adapt (or doesn't even really need to adapt) out there. Jota, Diaz, and Gakpo have all struggled to get involved from that side, whereas he'll always cause problems wherever he's played out of sheer force of will.

It's a generally amazing thing that we've got a guy who we can all see still has further levels he can go up to - while also being a massive player for us right now, just as he is. TBH in the current market, I think he's already just about worth his fee - and if he develops as we hope, would be worth multiples of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Do you have a source for these numbers? Your post is very specific on the numbers and would be interested to see where it was published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Nunez is the zonal marking of players. People judge him on when he doesn’t score but ignore all of the reasons he works in the team.

Delighted to have him as a pool player and he’s one of the reasons we’re as close to the top as we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

According to Swiss Ramble, Nunez's deal is subject to player amortisation, where the transfer fee is paid in instalments over the player's contract duration.

More on Tribuna.com:

https://tribuna.com/en/news/liverpoolfc-2023-06-29-transfers-of-darwin-nunez-and-cody-gakpo-to-liverpool-would-have-been-impacted-by-new-uef/?utm_source=copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

The challenge for me is where Darwin fits in Klopps traditional 4-3-3. He can't play the Firmino role and Diaz is there on the left.

From a data perspective, his stats are good in the league this year but it's a very small sample size. Last year in the league he got 9 goals of an xg of 14 and he was clearly wasteful.

It may well be the case that he is more wasteful in training and Klopp doesn't trust him to be clinical in the matches. There's also the fact that Nunez, Jota, Gakpo and Diaz are basically competing for two spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Nunez possesses raw talent that terrifies opponents and our main gripe with him is that he's not a tap in merchant. 😅

Being raw at his age is a good thing I think, he's 24 and has played approximately 12,000 minutes of first team football. Haaland is a year younger and has played over 5,000 more minutes, that's a massive difference in experience levels.

Nunez has had an opportunity to physically develop away from the limelight and pressure of coming through at a top club. The attention he got following his signing for Liverpool was a complete shock to him and something he took time to become accustomed to it.

If he continues to show the right attitude, he will develop his talent at Liverpool. Part of that process will be learning to calm his mind and focus in the moment. All of the players have benefited from Klopp's mindfulness training and that's how the "Mentality Monsters" came to be. He has already began to exhibit some of the traits but he still has some more work to do, but he can get there.

Both Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy are examples of players who entered the professional game in their early 20s. Their late emergence is partly the reason for the longevity of their careers and I think that Nunez's relative lack of experience at a young age will benefit him in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Even Mo took a while to become a good finisher, something seemed to click in Italy and he was incredible for us that first season. Some players just have that clinical edge naturally, others something clicks whether it is themselves learning something, a manager or coach or picking up stuff from other players. In other words, a Robbie Fowler is very, very rare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I think Tribuna are slightly confusing what Swiss Ramble is saying about amortisation there - it doesn't particularly matter that a transfer is paid over a long period of time, or in bulk up front. Amortisation in this sense is disconnected from how you pay, and is more about the book value of the asset shifting over the length of the asset life. Chelsea bought Mudryk outright, up front, but are still amortising his value over his full 8 year contract as it was allowed at the time. So even after this rule change, we could still buy someone and pay it all off up front, or over 10 years of installments - but what has changed is that the book value must now be amortised over no more than 5 years, rather than over the total length of a longer contract (as was the case pre-Brexit anyway).

That's at least how i understand it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Darwin has improved over the summer. His touch and link up play has improved no end, his hold up play and bringing others into the game have been better than before, and he just appears less manic and rushed than before.

This would give me hope that he's working on his game and will improve further, including his finishing. His physical attributes are there for all to see. Would I have liked to get a finished article last year, especially when he was one of our main big money signings, absolutely. But we are where we are, and he's part of the squad now, so let's get the bear out of the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bielsa working as Nunez's international coach will help too.

As much as club fans hate the international breaks, because of the loss of momentum and differences in playing styles between club & country managers, Nunez going from Klopp to Bielsa is not exactly a seismic shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd much rather have 4 guys fit and in form then be imbalanced with two guys over run and two guys rusty. Mo is a superstar so he is in a different category.

Games are won at the end not the start or middle. Football these days is relentless. 38 league games, 13 European games, 7 fa cup and 5 league cup games makes 63 in 10 months plus about 12 internationals and some friendlies.

Strikers need to have that 1% at the end of the season over everyone else so for me there is no conversation about who is a starter. They all should be rotating and if they're on the bench they should be excited to get on in the part of games where we score most of our goals.

Go off to a mid table team if you're concerned about starters. They'll just play 44 games this season and are happy having their strikers come in and out of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I think a big part of it is also simply having settled into a very new environment, and new league, in a new country - and a team which is far more balanced and confident than the mess he arrived into. His English has come on a bit too I think. He looks more like the player we bought from Benfica now. Bielsa is definitely a nice little bonus too - they might not get a huge amount of time together, but a guy of that calibre is bound to bring some extra insights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's easy to forget, that Nunez is same age as Gakpo, that Sobo is same age as Jones, that Mac Allister is same age as Gakpo. When these players are the same age as Jota, Trent, Diaz, Gomez they'll have improved their consistency, so the next two - three years for them will tell a lot, especially for Nunez, still raw, but learning fast, no way the Nunez of last year tee's up Salah for the second against Everton. This season we have already seen a vast improvement in Nunez. Playing for Klopp means playing as a team player

According to BILD, Xabi Alonso has a release clause in his Leverkusen contract that allows him to leave to go to us, Real or Bayern

Might be nonsense paper talk, and I know Klopp's not leaving for a while yet, but it's interesting if Xabi asked for that clause, shows he still holds us in high regard

• Advertisement

Yea I'm not sure either. There is bound to be some creative accounting going on.

I found this on swiss ramble's Twitter

https://x.com/SwissRamble/status/1537321457822343169?s=20

Gakpo is fit and available for tomorrow 🙂

Yeah, Swiss Ramble’s explanation there is the way I understand it - Tribuna’s article confused amortisation (which is the internal asset book value over time) with transfer payments in instalments to the selling club.

Christ we end up learning a lot of mad stuff as fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Think I heard Sid Lowe discuss this a few weeks back and the word is that he's top of Madrid's list when Ancelotti leaves. He'd be top of my list to replace Klopp in a few years. Such a class act. Early days into his managerial career, sure, but he stands out from the pack for me.

Ah yeah, I'd love it if he came to us. He'll be snapped up before we need him though, so I can't see it lining up

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's one of those where I can definitely see him managing us at some stage, but maybe not for a little while yet.

Curtis Jones back in the starting line up tomorrow. Looking forward to it. He must be itching to play.

Wonder how big they'll go on changes.

Could go for Doak (if he's recovered from his knock), Jota and, then either Nunez or Diaz. Maybe Jones, Endo and Gravenberch in midfield? And maybe Quansah getting a run out at CB as well, perhaps with Gomez.

Though since we're at home, the other approach would be to start very strong, get the group all but sorted over the next 2 games so that a decent chunk of the squad don't have to travel to later away games. Looking at the Union-Gilloise game away on Dec 14th especially, with the Man Utd game only 2 days later. Be lovely to have no pressure at all on that game, so we could leave the likes of Mo and Virg, and a few others back in Liverpool.

Winning the group equals one less knockout round. That's a big carrot.

Against the 3rd place CL teams dropping in too, definitely a good one to avoid as there could be some half decent teams there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes, UTD finishing second and drawing Barca last year is one that springs to mind. We definitely want to avoid a scenario like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hope they go strong enough tonight, putting 5 points between us and second at the halfway mark would be a very nice cushion to have, and would have the group all but over with a win in Toulouse.

Yeah I'm fairly sure that 2 wins against Toulouse in the double header will put Liverpool through as group winners with 4 games gone. USG & Lask are the 2nd & 3rd seeds so will take points off of each other in that double header, and create a bigger gap to the other teams.

That should allow 2 games of full rotation, and as mentioned above, allow the big name players rest in the weeks leading up to games like Man Utd while they play Bayern Munich midweek in a game that they will more than likely need to get points from and will have to put out a full strength team in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not necessarily- we just avoid another group winner.

There might be country/association protection though. Not 100% sure on that, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

We avoid the extra round against the CL dropouts, I meant

2nd place EL and 3rd place CL play each other while 1st place EL chill out. Winners of those matches join the group winners. So yeah, may well (in fact, probably) get a CL dropout, but we'll skip a round where we'd definitely get them

The CL dropouts thing should be removed imo.

They're doing away with it from next season, when they move to the ridiculous "Swiss model"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see we have another 12.30 Saturday kickoff in December against Palace,3 days after playing Sheffield Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Again its not after European football TNT so it is allowed .TNT are going to make the most of it as they know those games will not be moved until Sunday, but they should at least swap with the 5:30pm game or have it at 8pm as they have done in the past.

There has been a number of changes

Sheff Utd has moved from Tuesday to Wednesday 6th December on Amazon so Premier Sports

Palace game as stated has moved to 12:30pm 9th December and on TNT

Man Utd game has moved to 17th December and Live on Sky at 4:30pm

Arsenal game has a 5:30pm kick-off on the 23rd December on Sky

Burnley game remains on St Stephens day with another 5:30pm kick-off on Amazon / Premier Sports

Newcastle game moves to 1st Jan with an 8pm kick-off on Sky

Bournemouth game is set for 21st Jan with a 4:30pm Kick-off on Sky

Looking like Luke Chambers is gonna start tonight. Has previously played 1 minute for the club so it's his debut really. Hope he does well.

• Advertisement

Kelleher,

Trent Gomez Matip Chambers,

Gravenberch Endo Jones,

Elliott Nunez Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Chambers makes sense with Robertson out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was hoping Quansah started but i am sure he will see gametime at somestage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Was expecting Quansah as well as Matip will be playing Sunday and we know what happens to him playing twice a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Toulouse are a team that like to play football. Their forwards know where the goals are. We need to get stuck in if we are to stop them running through the channels. The last thing we need to be is under the cosh. Their midfield holding player (the skipper) doubles as a false nine but he's not immune to a hospital pass when playing in the hole. Not sure if Toulouse are the type of team that could cope with a cold wet Thursday night in Stoke. They may resort to parking the bus. A win for us would keep the gaffer happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Strange midfield....

This isn't available to watch anywhere easily is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

Tnt1

• Advertisement

It's the one i was hoping for/predicted yesterday :)

Decent balance to it, while also giving Mac Allister and Szobo some much needed rest.

I could see it reverting to a bit of a diamond with Elliott coming deeper at times, particularly out of possession, leaving Nunez and Jota as a 2-up occasionally.

Advertisement