Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

These draws are killing us. I'd out that along with the Luton and Chelsea games as two bad points dropped, and Brighton not much better. Game got into a familiar pattern, but we struggle against these middle of the road teams that want to sit in and break the game up. We created plenty of chances, mainly from set pieces, but we were edgy and snatched at them.

All the talk of United's injury list, but no mention of the lads sitting watching from our side (Tiago, Robbo, Joel, Mac), all proven starters. Even the likes of Bajatic would be useful in carrying some minutes in garbage time in some games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ali, Endo, Virg, Konate, and Tsimikas were all grand I think. Tsimikas was actually very good I thought, had to make up for a lot of Diaz work as well, and put in some great balls.

Everyone tasked with primarily attacking was poor though. I'm not that bothered about Nunez' yellow, but what was worse is just that he and Mo didn't impact the game at all the way they normally do. Looked to lack their usual intensity. Diaz the same, though perhaps for reasons we mentioned. Gakpo immensely frustrating when he came on - didn't add much, and subtracted quite a bit.

Apparantly Jota is close to a return at least. Will really need him too, with Mo heading away.

• Administrators Posts: 54,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gakpo did an awful lot of walking and jogging when he came on which boils my piss when I see subs doing it.

He needed to be raising the tempo with big runs.

Elliott and Jones IMO should have been on much earlier. I’d have brought them on around 60 mins, it was clear Nunez and Diaz weren’t at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yup and i dont know what is happening... why are we not running at players....diaz used to do that and has now stopped..

We've been very predictable and static in possession this season... too controlled and too scripted i would say..we need some randomness ffs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Diaz couldn't even beat Antony today, never mind a defender, tackled by him at least 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Salah looks out of ideas. One time this evening he just kicked the ball at the other player. No one in our team was ahead of us. He just…. Did it.

It’s so weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is going to be a struggle in Jan when Salah is away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Impressed with tsimikas also, Robertson has real competition, happy enough to get the point there,I haven't read the thread, but imo as much as we dominated united had the two best chances of the game.

• Advertisement

agreed, but its not just Klopp's weakness.... i feel Liverpool have been doing it for at least 25 years

he's the current lad, so deffo has to try and sort it.... cant believe we couldnt break them down today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Noting we have done over the last 4 weeks suggests we will be even close to beating Arsenal..

it's funny, people from all sides have been putting the boot into Arsenal this season, lamenting that they have been nowhere near the side they were last season and are lucky to be to be near the top.

But they have been far more impressive than us all year, soild at the back, look dangerous, and threatening going forward. My main criticism of them, would be their lack of a true goal scoring centre forward, as they creat chances at their ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

What's gone wrong with Mo this season,can't beat a man,can't hit the target (bar pens),, hardly ever gets a shot of when checking in on left,loses every 50/50 ball, brutal touch ,hate to say it but he's finished at the very top level

• Administrators Posts: 54,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Every single defender knows that Mo is just going to go onto his left. Just show him onto his right and wait for the cut back.

if he varied it a bit more it’d make a huge difference IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Today was almost entirely down to bad decision making in the final third.

Whether it's people shooting instead of passing or missing open headers. We did enough up to the last bit, and then they had an absolute mare.

Utd were asking to be beaten. Barely any intensity. They couldn't get out of their half for 60 minutes. And we were simply inept at the top end of the pitch.

Kneejerk imo.

Most G/A in the league.

Most "Big Chances Created" too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Our attack is worrying me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wouldn't be that surprised if we beat Arsenal. They'll definitely attack much more than United which will leave space for us to attack into.

That said Arsenal have a free midweek now while we have West Ham on Wednesday. Which will be tricky to pick a team for as we'll have to have one eye on Arsenal on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

For years he as a lefty plays right wing

Defenders know he is going to cut in to shoot, also try the outside of the boot pass. Opponents work this out, managers and coaching staff work with their players to stop him.

Also, we have Diaz on the opposite side doing exactly the same thing

I'd love to see us switching them because when teams sit deep we are clueless. And that is 85% of the teams in the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is a very short term call... was excellent before the international break, looked back to his very best after a poor last season.

not sure if it's knee jerk.. he's been assisting but I think he's playing way way way below his level unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Wouldn't be surprised if Klopp looks to provoke a response from the crowd at Anfield. I was shocked it was so bad.

Reckon a lot turned up expecting to see a hatful of goals

Hard to create an atmosphere when you are too busy watching a match through your phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

We also lack a true goal scoring centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

When mcallister back as he might improve things, gravenberch is another dud I think, has he any goals or assists I wonder, Diaz contributing nothing lately and nunez is a flop and a head case as well, will win nothing unfortunately with him leading the line, he's too headless and emotional too, gapko looks like he is afraid to get stuck in, thank god for virgil and Ali today, pity the headers from corners can't be kept down and on target

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Did you not see the space we gave Anthony on the counter today as bad as united were? Give that to saka or Martinelli and them attacking us more will result in goals for them. We suit arsenal in terms of how we are playing alot more than they suit us at the moment.

Jota was great for arsenal games so real pity to miss him. With Mac/Grav injured, Szobo way off with leaving us depending on Endo/Jones it's a huge concern. The forward line is so disjointed bar Salah Its hard to know who should start. I really hoped Nunez would push on but he's being awful lately.

Don't know how we manage west Ham and Arsenal in next 6 days after that performance and more and more injuries.

some people only get to Anfield once in their life unfortunately... 2 scouse lads told me to stop singing and clapping at a match before... was shocked but they headed off around 70 mins into the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We do technically have a 25+ goal a season striker tho, is more what I'm getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dont Be at It

There was no coherent plan today...Get it wide, too late in the play, and cross largely poor balls into a box with about 20 people in it. Hoping for a bounce to fall your way then.

I felt that if they played a bit more patiently in midfield, draw utd out even 3 or 4 yards and then get nunez running in behind. It was pointless having nunez playing that type of game today. The very last play summed up everything that went before where Konate (I think) galloped up through a near empty midfield and just ran straight into the utd defenders who promptly booted it back up the pitch.

If we had brought them out the field a bit we'd have ate them.

• After today’s general misfire/damp squib I’m actually pleased it’s Arsenal next in the PL. We’ll know alot more by Saturday night how this team is really doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was probably a tactic to give Antony space because it's highly unlikely he'll actually do anything to harm you.

Aye, technically. Very much doubt he starts next weekend, though much depends on the team vs West Ham. Gakpo looked poor recently also which isn't ideal. Would be great if Jota was fit for next Saturday given his record against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

To be fair to ETH and his crowd, the conceded possession to Ibra and decided he wasn't gonna hurt them. He often carried the ball passively into the middle and then passed it back - Joel in that position could step forward and hurt a packed defence. I wonder if young Quansah offers more on the ball, or even Gomez who did well today, against bottom half opposition and teams who don't want to play like we faced today. I like Ibra, but he's not great on the ball.

I thought Grav did ok today, but not consistently, and again after less then an hour he was finished. Doesn't seem fit enough, or able to get to a level where he has 90 strong minutes in him, which is strange for a lad in his early 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Wouldn't agree, our corners resulted in united best chances and Ali had to save us again with a excellent save at one point. It's a general counter attack we constantly expose ourselves to all season so when the attacking gamble doesn't pay off we get caught out.

Saka and Martinelli will have a field day will that space . I'd almost be hoping Gomez is RB with Trent in the middle next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He can't be match fit, I'm pretty sure he didn't play a full 90 minutes for Bayern at all last year so it'll take him time to build that back up.

All harsh, chances were created, some days they go in,, some days not, those players all played ok today Imo, some better fortune and they would have been praised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Might be worth remembering it takes time for a new midfield to come together.

Two of our starting midfielders were poor today. It happens.

I'm just gonna focus on how good we can be when everything clicks.

He tends to be on the negative end of the scale alright but Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo were all poor today. Just a day when our mids and attacking players didn't fire at all. It wasn't a case of missing a plethora of chances either. Just a really poor day at the office.

The only thing that worries me a bit that the above is becoming a bit of a trend since the last international break. Our midfield is being chopped and changed the whole time and picking up injuries which isn't helping either. Diaz and Nunez seriously underperformimg as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

As bad as we were credit to United they limited us too any clear cut chances,they had a gameplan and it worked arsenal next weekend be different game as they will come to play

Szob has also been very poor lately after walking on water for the first 6 weeks of the season. His passing was diabloical today. Still believe that - though Endo did pretty well today - the lack of a decent number 6 undermines much of what we're trying to do. Probably wasn't as big a factor today given United's aversion to attack but we're still a work in progress in the middle without someone to knit it all together right now.

Tsimikas hasn't been the problem but we still sorely miss Robertson. A lot of our progression comes from him carrying the ball from defence, and his overall threat on the far left pulls a lot more space for Trent on the other side too.

Oh definitely a work in progress,our league position is probably a bit ahead of actually where the team is

Szob would have gotten the lowest ranking of the team today imo,he played like a player who hadn't kicked a ball in months

Salah was overhitting all of his passes to Szob/Trent on the overlap too, so many straight out of play or to Onana. He's been playing that pass perfectly all season. Just a complete no show from the forwards.

Hard to shake the feeling that the players possibly felt that United were there for the taking and that the goals would just come. Ran out of ideas pretty quickly after bright starts to both halves. Famous Anfield atmosphere - record PL attendance and all - nowhere to be heard today as is the case more often than is mentioned. You could argue that the team have to get the crowd going but the atmosphere was too flat too often this afternoon. It's United FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Nunez is 100% shite and today confirms it.

I will stand by whatever I say, and state this guy is nothing but a huge waste of money

Please be welcome to prove me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He’s a rough diamond alright but 100 percent shite is harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've been a fan of Nunez but his form since the international break has been shockingly bad.

Players have bad form, that's happens, but he needs to be benched again until he retains it. The worst thing is that he was flying before the break and even scored a couple goals during it. Ever since the break he is either offside or taking too many extra touches.

Klopp needs to bench him IMO, and bring back the chaos from the bench. Build him back up like the run after the Newcastle game to the Brentford game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement