Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Is there anything to be said for a new formation?

I'm a basic b***h so I'd say big man little man 442 but surely klopp could come up with one more formation to deal with teams that just want to block and counter?

It would at least mean the opposition couldn't guarantee or players are going to do the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can say the forwards have been poor lately but there is nothing been fed to them too. Zero creativity from midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well, i've had 24hrs to think about my analysis of the game and the broader season in general.

We have a problem breaking down teams that sit in, and we have done for a few years now. We need to find a way whatever that way is of breaking through the last line, i feel you need very clever and very technically good playmakers to succeed, as an example Silva.

Those type of games really don't suit Darwin(and the team as a whole), in fact all you really want from Darwin is to get on the end of a through ball, anything else and he just looks lost.

He is'nt technicaly good enough on the ball for this level, what we need is a world class No.9 that will score goals and take a bit of pressure off of Diaz and Mo. Darwin works hard and all that but he just is'nt good enough, i think we all know this but a lot of us are unwilling to face up to reality.

Klopp has had an unbelievable hit rate with transfers in the last 7 years with us, Jota, Darwin, Gakpo are all No.9's i don't think they excel playing wider, Playing Gakpo as a 9/false 9 from now until the end of the season should show us if he's good enough and i think he could be, he seems to be played in a different position every game and it's hard for him to get an understanding with the other forwards, Mo's replacement needs to be addressed next summer, i'd even give that a higher priority over a No.6, Endo was our best player yesterday and i have hope he will grow into a regular starter for us, very intelligent player and he's learned so much in just 5 months with us.

Having said all that we have improved from last year, we have played well in spells and we do tend to raise our game against the big teams and generally we usually have a much bettter second half of the season, so it's a disappointing result but in terms of a rebuild i'd say we are slightly ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The only way you can break down teams who sit back, is as you just alluded too, having multiple very technical, skillful and quick players who can move the ball between each other at pace. They can get into and take the ball in tight dangerous position which shift defenders out of position and because of the quick movement, defenders find it hard to get back into a block formation.

The main reason Klopp famously struggles with the low block, is because he prefers powerful, athletic midfielders, over technical, agile ones. Klopps attack is famously based on defensive movements, so forcing the opposition into mistakes in possession and then capitalising on the initial space that turnover creates.

This tactic obviously doesn't work against teams that just sit back and don't make any effort to get on the ball themselves.

That's why we see many misplaced and poor passes in these scenarios like we did yesterday. As our midfielders and forwards are trying to move the ball at pace and draw out defenders as they too know that is the only way to get in behind, but because we're not technically built to play that style, it constantly breaks down!

It's not just something you can turn on, we will always struggle against teams like UTD yesterday because of that.

I'm not sure what Klopp and Pep can do in the short term to change things around. And I honestly don't think we're the team to give City a proper title challenge this season either, I think we will finish a long way back.

At the moment, we are a decent team that has potential to be better. But we have a long way to get there.

We have a world class keeper, tick.

Defence, Virgil is definitely getting back to his best, but I don't think Konate is the long term option beside him. He's too injury and error prone. Now with Matip gone for the season, our only other options are Gomez, who also has his issues and an inexperienced Quansah.

Trent is our only proper senior RB and we're still not 100% sure what's his long term role is in the team, but to be fair, he brings a lot to the set up when he's on it. Robbo has been on the wane the last while and Tsimikas is only average in my opinion.

Midfield has the potential to be very good, but as it is, Szobo, MaC, Grav, Endo, Jones and Elliot are a long long away from forming anything like a title winning midfield trio between them.

Up front we have issues. Salah is obviously still Salah when it comes his goal scoring, but he offers absolutely nothing out wide these days. He cant beat his man anymore, no longer has an over lapping Trent to give him space and he just constantly gives the ball away as he's always trying to force his way past players these days.

Jota is a great finisher but can be very poor in general play and is also guilty of coughing up possession time and time again.

Nunez is not a good finisher, he can offer more than Jota from open play and is a better target man, but he can only get himself into scoring positions when playing off the defenders shoulder and moving in behind, which its non existent when teams decided to sit back on us. Actually no point in involving him in games like yesterday for that alone.

Gakpo, I'm actually not sure what he brings these days. He's not a No.9, nor a wide player.

Diaz is only ever going to be a good impact player in my opinion. He will never be consistent or clinical enough to be proper wide threat at this level.

Apologies for the long post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So the latest rumours is that MacAllister will be out for another couple of weeks. IF true then how come it seems all our injuries turn out worse than they initially appear to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I thought that was a given to be honest,new year.

Maybe it was,for some reason I thought there was a chance he would be back for the Arsenal game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Need to keep chipping away. 🙏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think he has shown he is very capable of making those forward passes when the option is there. Utd sat compact, Gravenberch and Dominik weren't showing and our front three extremely static.

Endo was the very least of our problems against Man Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hopefully a blip like the near perfect season before covid, think a 0-0 against utd was the only dropped points along with 26 wins?

Although really worried about Arsenal Saturday as they seem to have hit form, they were also playing bad and winning until 2 weeks or so ago but seemed to have hit their stride now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

a 1-1 draw at utd but we were also very poor that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've been quietly impressed with Endo's ball playing as well. Maybe this is observation bias but more than once I've thought "I wish Harvey or Jones could be as progressive with their passing".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

We were poor in many games that season but still ground out results and won the lg - hopefully something similar is on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The fact that Gakpo seems to be playing a different position every match lends itself to the idea he was only brought in last January as a bit of an impulse buy. Can't imagine it's helping him either. This season we've seen him on the left wing, as a lone striker, on the right side of a 442, and as part of a midfield three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Doak needs knee surgery. Tore his lateral meniscus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's awful for him. The poor chap. I'm assuming that means he's done for the season. Such a shame.

Ill take a draw, if offered now against Arsenal. As you said, they have found their rhythm in the last few weeks and in my opinion they have the best, most balanced starting 11 in the Premier League as it stands. That accolade would normally rest with City, but they have their own injury, performances issues at the minute.

It looks like Havertz has finally found a role in the left sided No.8 spot ahead of Rice, and along with Odegaard they have the best midfield trio in the league. Matinelli and particularly Saka are in great from out wide. I think both of them are going to provide massive problems for us and I don't think we will have an answer to it.

The only weaknesses I see to their starting 11, is in goals, where we definitely trump them. At left back, but we're not exactly hectic there ourselves at the minute and up front in Jesus. But in saying that, he's offering a lot more than anyone we have played in that role the last few weeks and is now actually scoring the odd goal.

Gravenberch not injured either,was just fatigue,hopes to train today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

At the start of the season if you said we would be in the QF of the League Cup, avoided the playoff round in Europa League and if we win the next 2 games that we will be top of the league at the halfway point, I would have said zero chance.

Yes, performances have been not as good in the last 5+ games than earlier in the season but even on Sunday, I thought TAA shot was nestling in the bottom corner, Konate had 2 good chances and the header from Gapko at the end was a big chance as he is good in the air; if any of those go in the media all focus on how UTD were too defensive, etc.

We have 3 premier league games until Jan 21st, for that match we should have Jota, Mac Allister & possibly Robertson back, even Thiago might be there - things are much better than expected imho.

I do think Arsenal should beat us based on current form though if we get a win, then we will all be singing from a different hymn sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Damien360

We have always struggled to break down a team that sits deep and waits. Utd set up to frustrate and did exactly that.

Arsenal are all attack and I think that will be a high scoring open game assuming our front three get it together. The difference is they have firepower. If Utd came at us, they wouldn't have scored in a fit and we would have battered them for being open. When Arsenal come at us, they have the firepower to do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Arsenal are on a 1 game win streak in the league, they lost to Villa, beat Luton 3-4 with stoppage time winner, beat Wolves 2-1 at home & beat Brentford 0-1 in fixtures since the last international break, I think they have 12 points to Liverpools 11 since that break, they are hardly in scintillating form with results similar to Liverpool.

Lot of hyperbolic reaction here after a draw Sunday & bit of a drop off in form, but team is still getting results, any dropped points or even goal conceded seems to be treated as the end of the world, so & so ain't good enough

You'd have to play a strong side tomorrow Shirley ? Getting this far and then playing a very weakened side and losing won't do us any good, best to go in Arsenal game on the back of a good win and a semi to look forward to. And both games are at home, that's a help, that it's not a late trip to WH, and then a late trip to Arsenal, both at home, go big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭jones

I think the problem is there hasnt really been a drop off in form - we havent been good now for the last month but have been getting late goals to win games which is not sustainable and which covered over our form not being that great. Really weird season so far none of the big teams looks fully one it at all. The Arsenal game will really tell where we are this season.

Any word at all on Bajcetic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nah, seems to be very little word on him. Sounds like both Mac Allister and Thiago should be available from early January (though pinch of salt with the latter of course). Thiago's never gonna be a regular, but if he could get back playing he could be huge as an option to play 30 minutes here or there, and the odd start every now and again to take the pressure off Szob and Mac.

When you look at lads like Bajcetic, Ramsay, Doak, and then elsewhere like Pedri, Gavi, Lavia etc, it kinda seems like a lot of young lads who are still very much growing and developing physically just aren't able for the physical requirements at the top end of the game any more. The pace and athleticism of the game has just gotten so much higher over the past decade. I wonder if football needs to start becoming patient with young talents until they've at least just stopped growing, particularly for lads with a more dynamic style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fatigue? From doing what? He barely broke into a canter. Unless it was from the boredom in being forced to watch the game (even if he was allegedly involved)?

He hasn't played properly in about 2 years so it will probably take a while to build up his fitness levels. BTW that is not a defence of his performance on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He was ok on the first half, made several good runs and used the ball well, but tired obviously in the second half.

No fvckin way would I take a draw on Saturday now, ho and fvckin best this Arsenal shower. Put a serious squeeze on them and see how they like it....we're not small time like United playing for draws against the top teams.

A draw V Arsenal isn't a bad result tbh. The name of the game is not losing 6 pointers.

There was a lot of hyperbole pre united game about how easy it would be. Never believed a word of it.

I think the team will be up for the Saturday more tbh. Last Sunday just didn't work out for us. It happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

With MacAllister probably out for a while more, the club should really ask Thiago to cut his paternity leave short and come back playing football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's always been win the home games and don't lose the away games against the top 6 for me.

Either way I don't think we are winning the league (I've said it before a ball was kicked) and we need to get Top 4 and have a serious tilt at EL. With a brand new midfield we'll have inconsistencies at times throughout the season and that's why I've felt we won't win it. I also thought VVD wouldn't improve on last season so that was a nice surprise this season.

Klopp has never played for a draw in his life. That won't change this weekend...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Boro, Chelsea and Everton into the semi finals.

Getting over West Ham won't be easy nut you'd have to fancy us to join the 3 above.

Keeping Bowen quiet will be key,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kudus and Paqueta as well. Three of them are doing very well this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I can't see Arsenal beating us on Saturday. I fully expect we'll blow them away, we put 24 goals past them in last 7 PL visits. I doubt they'll come to park the bus.

An earlier Xmas present, they lost in the most giving way.😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭ratracer

As previous have said, the hyperbole and expectation to beat a sh1te Utd side last week was nuts. Derbies are unpredictable! Yet I’m very pissed we couldn’t the 3 points against them.

If JK and the squad see themselves ae serious title contenders, then Arsenal are the team to beat, and we really need to do it at home on Saturday!

Im really not bothered about the game vs West Ham tomorrow, it’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of things!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah, I just thought it would be nice for a few to say it 🤣

Has a newborn (ish, a month ago), but he's out cause he's still injured, not because of paternity leave. Klopp's latest update was that they're seeing how it goes week-to-week. No chance till at least mid January it sounds like though.

Just seen the Trippier mistake that led to the Chelsea equaliser. If Trent done that the pile on he would receive would be unreal

He's been woeful the past month. Has really fallen off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Trippier is 33 and his manager has used him relentlessly the last few weeks.

Ridiculous player management.

It was the start of this year when ITV sat Trent down for an interview to basically ask him questions like "You've been shíte this season, haven't you?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Advertisement